Favorite Guest Quirks

26 replies [Last post]
Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

As mentioned I am not so into the boring guests or the standard romantic getaway/anniversary guests, with the same old same old...

I love the quirky ecentric guests.

Today I have a man who is like Gopher on Winnie the Pooh and whistles when he talks. This is the second time this year, and for whatever reason I just adore this! I am sure he has battled it most of his life (if not due to a stroke or something) and hates it, but I just love it! I love the different guests, I love the unexpected, that is what I live for in this business! 

At the end of the day when someone different has been here I think about it, I learn something and it helps me grow as a person. As I say, the rest of them all blend into one "Joe guest" after a while.

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Offline
Joined:
07/21/2009

Like you, as far as I'm concerned "The Quirks" are everything.  I'm lucky enough to have an inn with a name that attracts them like moths to a flame. 

One comes to mind this morning .... There is a young Haitian choir that comes to the area every couple of years.  The kids stay with local families and the choir master stays with us.  The first year he brought his 90++ mother with him - she was gorgeous in a classicaly beautiful way - delicate and tough at the same time - sweet, appreciative and opinionated - long thick grey hair braided down her back.   He had English heritage and she looked Native American.  She loved to tell stories and because they were so rich and evocative I didn't mind at all that she would tell the same story multiple times. 

My favorite was the most ridiculously outlandish claim ..... I'll never forget it and I don't care whether it was fact or fiction (I'm going to be naive and believe in its veracity).  On one side of the family she could trace her roots back to Lady Godiva and on the other side to Pocohantas.  Now THAT'S a fabulous gene pool and a darn good story.

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

We love the guests with stories to tell about things we wouldn't otherwise know about. If all you've ever done in your life is live 'Disney' that's not what we mean. The people who built their own boat, sailed to the Caribbean and back, the 80-somethings who take their sailboat up and down the coast every year, the guests who go to exotic locales during the year, own their own businesses, the folks who are not living vanilla lives. They're the ones we like to have around to listen to.

The 80+-yo who was one of the lawyers involved in Pan Am/Trans World with Howard Hughes. A few Hollywood types (who went completely against 'type'). Some radio personalities. Authors. Musicians.

Folks whose stories let us see other lives from their perspective rather than the media hype.

But, 'just folks' are great guests, too. Because everyone has a story if only they are able to live it.

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Offline
Joined:
08/04/2008

Madeleine wrote:

 Because everyone has a story if only they are able to live it.

Can I steal this?

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Penelope wrote:

Madeleine wrote:

 Because everyone has a story if only they are able to live it.

Can I steal this?

 

Sure thing.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

The man who only ate raw food. He came back for a second stay (they were moving to the area) and this time it was only raw food - but he asked for my mufins and my bread. Several years later I had a lady who only ate raw food.

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

one of my most favorite guests was a tinkerer, he smelled faintly of sawdust and machinery somehow ... his wife headed out to shop for local things, to tour, to take pics, he was happy as all get out three days straight trying to get my late husband's mantle clock to run.  in the meantime, he adjusted a schoolhouse clock, got my weather vane spinning, and tuned an old timey radio, and some other odds and ends. 

i was worried his wife would be miffed not to have his  company but she felt free to go out and enjoy the area because she said he'd be so obviously bored ... at one point, she dropped him at a country / hardware store where he happily rummaged through bins for hours and picked up little drill bits and who knows what else. 

she came back and showed me her hand knitted sweater, hand picked blueberries, clover honey, maple syrup, a model ship, homemade pie and hand churned ice cream (that they shared with us all) ... he laid out a clean cloth and proudly showed his drill bits and pieces of wire and such. 

when he smiled, his eyes disappeared into little slits above big round apple cheeks.  adorable.

 

__________________

Wear cute PJ’s to bed; you never know who you may meet in your dreams.

 

Offline
Joined:
07/21/2009

LOVE IT. 

We have two sets of husbands that come once a year and bring their tools with them so they can fix things for me.  The banister is suddenly much more secure, the face-plate for the electric outlet behind the armchair has been replaced .... both sets of wives tell me it's what makes them happy.

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

UKMaineiac wrote:

We have two sets of husbands that come once a year and bring their tools with them so they can fix things for me.

Have you considered offering a DIY package so they can pay you for the fun you're giving them? Eye-wink Include storage of their tools at no extra charge, you provide the electricity for their power tools at no extra charge (is there a pun there?), etc. No nickle and diming if they buy the package.

__________________

All saints can do miracles, but few of them can keep hotel. ~ Mark Twain

 

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I know innkeepers that offered a Work Detail Package. The rate on the package covered the cost of the food - breakfasts, lunches, and a dinner bash at the end of the workday for the weekend.

Forgot to add that it was VERY successful.

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

there was a B&B that got 3 self catering cottages built that way. I work on the principle that if it makes them happy? etc

__________________

Don't mess with me today or I will kill you!!!!

 

Offline
Joined:
07/21/2009

LOL - great idea.  I'll extend it to the people that like to garden and PROMISE to keep the flowerbeds as untended as possible so they'll have plenty (planty) to do when they get here.  I'd also like to include the urban dwellers that think shovelling snow is fun - but that might raise my insurance too high.  We routinely have guests in the summer that beg to use the tractor mower ..... sorry - no can do.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

This reminded me of the night I had 2 rooms in the shared bath era, it was late and one notified me the sink was slow - VERY slow. I plunged to no avail, checked for hair with same result. He thought it moght be in the trap. I brought up some tools and he insisted on taking it off - not there (he realized DH was not able to do anything about this). The man in the other room came out to see what was happening and went down to his truck for more tools. It just so happened that I had picked up a gizmo that would shoot an air blast through the pipes to clear obstructions (it was on the get rid of table for $2) and DH was afraid we were going to blow pipes. We did it, it worked, they put my bathroom back together and returned to their rooms. They were pleased to have been able to help me, they worked together, and had been total strangers before then.

Offline
Joined:
08/04/2008

That is a such a great story! Those are the guests that make it worthwhile! Smiling

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

That is a great story!  Sounds like a guest that I would have loved too!

__________________

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov

 

Proud Texan's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

I think my favorite guest quirk is when they leave right after breakfast and the room looks as if no one has slept in it.

Offline
Joined:
04/21/2010

Proud Texan wrote:

I think my favorite guest quirk is when they leave right after breakfast and the room looks as if no one has slept in it.

Eye-wink

bc30md's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/14/2010

I think my favorite guest quirk is when they leave right after breakfast and the room looks as if no one has slept in it.

Ooooo...me, too!!!

__________________

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails." -Bertha Calloway

 

Offline
Joined:
06/24/2008

Favorite, Favorite, I'm thinking,,,, thinking  -- still thinking!

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

 I am going to delete this thread. PEOPLE PEOPLE can we not hijack from the first reply!!  

you innkeepers are incorrigble. and I can't even spell that!

ps guess who has no check ins today? go ahead and guess....yeahhhhhh baby...i made it to the other side, I am stoked, more than stoked. i get to sleep in tomorrow, what is that?

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

its why I have 4 sets of zip and link beds and another room with a double and a single bed makes for an easier life!

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

"FAVORITE"

egoodell's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/01/2008

 We had a different call this morning. 

Guest: I am bringing my mother to see Monticello. You are the closest B&B to them right?

DH: I recken so (we are actually not by about 1/16 of a mile but who's counting?)

Guest: I would like to book two rooms with queen beds

DH: Actually we have two large rooms with king beds.

Guest: Can't you take out the king and put queen beds in the rooms?

DH: Uh, no.

Guest: Well you won't do for us then

DH didn't get a chance to tell him he won't book here because he wants a one night stay on Saturday anyway. Good luck, buddy!

RIki

__________________

Riki Goodell
Arcady Vineyard Bed & Breakfast
Arcady Vineyard Wine Tours
www.arcadyvineyard.com
Come! Let us show you the beautiful Monticello Appellation!

 

Proud Texan's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

egoodell wrote:

 We had a different call this morning. 

Guest: I am bringing my mother to see Monticello. You are the closest B&B to them right?

DH: I recken so (we are actually not by about 1/16 of a mile but who's counting?)

Guest: I would like to book two rooms with queen beds

DH: Actually we have two large rooms with king beds.

Guest: Can't you take out the king and put queen beds in the rooms?

DH: Uh, no.

Guest: Well you won't do for us then

DH didn't get a chance to tell him he won't book here because he wants a one night stay on Saturday anyway. Good luck, buddy!

RIki

 I can't believe you weren't willing to move beds from one room to another for a one night stay.      It makes you wonder if they would be coming on the short bus.

Offline
Joined:
03/11/2009

Short Bus   ... heard this term about 8 yrs ago from a Bridgewater College student. He said he spent his school yrs on "the short bus". I said "OH! you went to a private school also,one of my daughters did too !" No I was/am learning disabled. He did graduate and is an artist somewhere in Europe.

__________________

Mary in Virginia

 

egoodell's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/01/2008

Proud Texan wrote:

egoodell wrote:

 We had a different call this morning. 

Guest: I am bringing my mother to see Monticello. You are the closest B&B to them right?

DH: I recken so (we are actually not by about 1/16 of a mile but who's counting?)

Guest: I would like to book two rooms with queen beds

DH: Actually we have two large rooms with king beds.

Guest: Can't you take out the king and put queen beds in the rooms?

DH: Uh, no.

Guest: Well you won't do for us then

DH didn't get a chance to tell him he won't book here because he wants a one night stay on Saturday anyway. Good luck, buddy!

RIki

 I can't believe you weren't willing to move beds from one room to another for a one night stay.      It makes you wonder if they would be coming on the short bus.

We don't have any queen beds. We have two rooms with two king beds. I guess he expected me to put my beds in the basement and scamper out and purchase two queen beds just for him...

riki

Proud Texan's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

egoodell wrote:

Proud Texan wrote:

egoodell wrote:

 We had a different call this morning. 

Guest: I am bringing my mother to see Monticello. You are the closest B&B to them right?

DH: I recken so (we are actually not by about 1/16 of a mile but who's counting?)

Guest: I would like to book two rooms with queen beds

DH: Actually we have two large rooms with king beds.

Guest: Can't you take out the king and put queen beds in the rooms?

DH: Uh, no.

Guest: Well you won't do for us then

DH didn't get a chance to tell him he won't book here because he wants a one night stay on Saturday anyway. Good luck, buddy!

RIki

 I can't believe you weren't willing to move beds from one room to another for a one night stay.      It makes you wonder if they would be coming on the short bus.

We don't have any queen beds. We have two rooms with two king beds. I guess he expected me to put my beds in the basement and scamper out and purchase two queen beds just for him...

riki

 And you wouldn't do it???   Lol

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.