What do you think about 'Google+ Pages for businesses' for your B&B/Inn?

19 replies [Last post]
Theo's picture
Offline
Joined:
07/26/2011
Perfect! More ways to link my B&B/Inn!
32% (6 votes)
Horrible, doesn't Google have enough pages?
5% (1 vote)
I will wait for a bit, let's see where this goes...
58% (11 votes)
I will only join if i have to.
5% (1 vote)
Total votes: 19

__________________

O Tartufo is an attractive and extraordinary Bed and Breakfast just outside of the town Moncarapacho in the Algarve of south Portugal
http://www.otartufo.com and read our blog at http://www.otartufo.com/en/news

 

Offline
Joined:
10/27/2011

Google+ has been so so for us thus far. I am personally much more a fan of Google Places and Google Maps. If your B&B is not registered, it's free, takes about 5 minutes, and will qualify you to organically rank at the top of google results for your relevant phrases. The best part is that Places is geo-adjusted meaning that if a guest who is in Arkansas searches "Arkansas B&B" they will be shown your email, website, and phone number on a map in relation to where they are. This has helped us score A TON of last minute reservations.

Matt is the author of Marketing Bed and Breakfast: free and innovative ways to increase your B&B occupancy and revenue. 

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

here is an electronic book on this - http://www.hubspot.com/how-to-use-google-plus-for-business

__________________

Don't mess with me today or I will kill you!!!!

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Theo, here is the best advice I can give you regarding your B&B photography: watch this video...it will change your life. Well, mayby not that, but it is excellent and includes some great tips on photographing a bathroom.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=438uVQyj_NE

Also, read their blog: http://jumpingrocks.blogspot.com/ 

__________________

All saints can do miracles, but few of them can keep hotel. ~ Mark Twain

 

Theo's picture
Offline
Joined:
07/26/2011

 In trying to explain a bit better what kind of rooms we have and what they look like, i have now created this page:

http://www.otartufo.com/en/news/92/a-tour-of-our-bed-and-breakfast-and-its-rooms-in-the-algarve-of-south-portugal 

Thanks for the tips Arkansawyer, still working on them! 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Good page! And a beautiful bathroom. Very much worth showing on the website!

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

my rooms photograph ol but the bathrooms are small and never photograph well. Am thinking of having the rooms filmed eventually to get round that problem.

Theo's picture
Offline
Joined:
07/26/2011

 Thanks again Arkansawyer!

Theo's picture
Offline
Joined:
07/26/2011

 What's your google+ page Joey? Would love to see it! Would be nice to see more B&B owners to creep out of anonimty and show the pages you are proud of, no? Maybe it's because we are new at this, but we welcome anyone to have a look at our Bed and Breakfast website and tell us what they think, good or bad. For example, we really did something with the remarks of this forum about our blog ( www.otartufo.com/en/news ) and we are still trying to find the right tone and balance for it.

Conclusion? It's great to share! Shocked

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Theo wrote:

...we welcome anyone to have a look at our Bed and Breakfast website and tell us what they think, good or bad.

There are fundamental differences between most BnBs in Europe and most BnBs in America, so we have to realize that our way of doing things may not be the norm elsewhere. That can make it a bit harder to comment and help you.

You do an excellent job of making your place appear fun, comfortable, and friendly, but I think your website could use a little more emphasis on the bed and the breakfast.

  • You mention "good and comfortable beds, nice mattresses", and the beds look nice in the photos, but it's the sheets that people actually touch when they sleep, and people like a little luxury sometimes. If you have really nice sheets, brag on them. If you don't have them, get some and advertise that you have 100% Egyptian cotton sheets or whatever. Give people a little more comfort than they have at home, a little more than your competition offers.
  • You mention "we serve breakfast in the cosy decorated lounge", but as a traveler I'd like to know what that breakfast is. Not everybody will see the one breakfast photo you have in the photos section (I'd like to see one or two more breakfast photos on the website), so you might reinforce in text that you serve a great breakfast. Give a description of what you serve. Give your guest a good reason to get out of those great beds each morning!

In looking at your photos, one thing that stands out to me is the lack of wall hangings. I see a few, but most of the walls look rather plain. If this is the norm in Portugal, that's fine, but if it were my place I'd add more locally-produced wall art, wood carvings, etc. More color. I love how in Peru they hang their locally-made rugs on the walls. Emphasizing local products is of great interest to your guests (and you might even sell some at a profit).

I don't see anything on your website that explains the bathroom facility for the single room. I assume it's shared, but you should probably add that explanation on your rooms & prices page, like you do for the double rooms, so there's no doubt in the guest's mind. If you could make a good photo showing a clean and nice bathroom, that would be helpful also. Beds and bathrooms are important to people!

I like the concept of your honesty bar (honor bar, we call it). Guests appreciate that.

Theo's picture
Offline
Joined:
07/26/2011

Wow, thanks Arkansawyer! That is, thanks for the comments and the compliments 

The points on sheets and wall hangings are not so easily changed, but it's winter time now for us, so we have spare time to think these things over! Your point about breakfast is a very good one. The picture you mention was our first breakfast ever and things have changed a bit. It's still a bit tricky to photograph it because we change what we serve everyday. (We have a lot of guests that stay more than a week and we think it's nice to switch things up with breakfast. Also, it keeps our jobs fun, haha)

Recently i have changed the way we mention our rooms on the rooms and prices page and i have tried to be a bit more clear on the bathroom situation. I have forgotten to mention it with the single room, well spotted, thanks! It's changed now, in all languages! See: www.otartufo.com/en/rooms_and_prices

And bathroom pictures are kind of tricky. Any tips on how to photograph them in a good way? I have a reasonably good camera but can't seem to find a good angle.

Thanks again and let me know if you want me to have a look at your website. You could also email it if you want and i'll respond. Ciao! Theo

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Theo wrote:

The points on sheets and wall hangings are not so easily changed, but it's winter time now for us, so we have spare time to think these things over!

Just things to think about. You know the old expression: Madrid and Lisbon weren't built in a day! Smiling

 It's still a bit tricky to photograph it because we change what we serve everyday. (We have a lot of guests that stay more than a week and we think it's nice to switch things up with breakfast.

Changing the menu is common with innkeepers here too. Just give some examples of the sort of things you prepare. Tell people you change it up for variety. You just need to give a bit more emphasis (on the website) to the breakfast. Breakfast is important, at least to me!

Yes, photography in a small room like a bathroom is not easy. With a digital camera, though, it's free to experiment, so just try different things. Add a vase of flowers or something similar to give some color and a nice feeling. Maybe add a comfortable bathrobe for the photo. Good luck!

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Theo wrote:

Maybe it's because we are new at this, but we welcome anyone to have a look at our Bed and Breakfast website and tell us what they think, good or bad.

Frankly, I've seen so many people's work picked to pieces around here, in a tougher-than-necessary way, that I'll never ask for a critique. Yes, they ask for it, but there's a difference between helpful, constructive criticism vs. comments using words like "tacky" and "clueless" about someone's efforts.

I think more people could be helped by the vast knowledge here, but I suspect more than a few folks are afraid to ask for help because of the way the help is often given.

Amen.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Arkansawyer wrote:

Theo wrote:

Maybe it's because we are new at this, but we welcome anyone to have a look at our Bed and Breakfast website and tell us what they think, good or bad.

Frankly, I've seen so many people's work picked to pieces around here, in a tougher-than-necessary way, that I'll never ask for a critique. Yes, they ask for it, but there's a difference between helpful, constructive criticism vs. comments using words like "tacky" and "clueless" about someone's efforts.

I think more people could be helped by the vast knowledge here, but I suspect more than a few folks are afraid to ask for help because of the way the help is often given.

Amen.

What's truly amazing are the numbers of innkeepers who don't ask for any critique and don't take any of the advice, either. Yes, it does require a fairly thick hide to take some of the criticism, but take my word for it, worse things are said behind the scenes than ever show up here. By guests.

But, a lot of places merely need a place to park a phone number, so the actual website is nothing more than a phone directory entry. It would be nice to live in a place where all I needed was a phone number...sigh.

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Madeleine wrote:

...but take my word for it, worse things are said behind the scenes than ever show up here...

Of course, but that really has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make, that helpful criticism could usually be offered in a more diplomatic way than some currently offer it here. I just feel like some here actually enjoy tearing into newbies more than they enjoy helping them, and that prevents some people from asking for the help in the first place.

Enough said. I've made my little point, for what it's worth. If it dulls just one sharp tougue, even a little, it was worth saying.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

 is there any way to NAME the listing with our B&B name as well, vs the numbers there?

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Theo's picture
Offline
Joined:
07/26/2011

 I have no idea, the same goes for our facebook page, lots of numers there. If you find out, let us know? 

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Theo wrote:

 I have no idea, the same goes for our facebook page, lots of numers there. If you find out, let us know? 

 

facebook you can change it under your profile to read your preferred name (B&B) etc

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

"Perfect" may be a strong word, but really, what's to lose? It's free isn't it? How long does it take to set up your page?

Theo's picture
Offline
Joined:
07/26/2011

 With a bit of fiddling, adding pictures and adding a few linked pages it took me half an hour, tops!

www.otartufo.com

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Theo wrote:

 With a bit of fiddling, adding pictures and adding a few linked pages it took me half an hour, tops!

www.otartufo.com

Thanks for the direct link, I am adding photos right now, appreciate it! 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.