Vinyl/plastic sheets

39 replies [Last post]
Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Well, have done almost all the beds as of today. One left for tomorrow. Other than that particular 'vinyl' smell, there doesn't seem to be any difference in the beds. The smell will dissipate over time, so I just need to leave the windows open.

I feel much more comfortable now. It's amazing how much subliminal worrying I was doing about the mattresses over the years. No longer. We also flipped all the mattresses at the same time, so that is done as well.

We got the sheets at Target (deeper mattresses) and BB&B (only 9" thick mattresses). Total for 11 beds was around $80.

__________________

Most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. - Oscar Wilde

 

muirford's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I have just spent the morning putting new vinyl covers on all the mattresses and box springs - the six inch heavy gauge vinyl which is supposed to be waterproof and bedbug proof.  Now the beds are like a layer cake - vinyl cover on mattress, feather or fiber topper on top of vinyl cover, waterproof membrane-type mattress cover over that and regular mattress cover on top of that.  No one is sleeping directly on any plastic, even just under the sheet. 

__________________

Jeanne

There are no rules, just follow your heart. ~ Robin Williams

 

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Holy cow!  Does all that layering shift at all?  Sounds cozy.  Aha!  Maybe the dude that wrote about your beds had some feather topper slippage!

__________________

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov

 

muirford's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

The ones that I made up today are strung tight as a drum; they don't move an iota.  I do think he had an issue with the featherbed - his was a fiberbed (hypo-allergenic) and I think they are lumpier than the feather.  If he had just let me know, we could have removed it. 

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Guests do need to let us know how we can help them to be more comfortable don't they?  Being psychic could have it's advantages in this job though Eye-wink

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Samster wrote:

Guests do need to let us know how we can help them to be more comfortable don't they?  Being psychic could have it's advantages in this job though Eye-wink

Heaven help me! I do NOT want to know what they're thinking!

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Probably not...could start out OK but then not so much.  Kinda like that Mel Gibson movie "What Women Want". 

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

muirford wrote:

I have just spent the morning putting new vinyl covers on all the mattresses and box springs - the six inch heavy gauge vinyl which is supposed to be waterproof and bedbug proof.  Now the beds are like a layer cake - vinyl cover on mattress, feather or fiber topper on top of vinyl cover, waterproof membrane-type mattress cover over that and regular mattress cover on top of that.  No one is sleeping directly on any plastic, even just under the sheet. 

Pardon my hysterical giggling here, but this sounds like princess and the pea bedding! And, did you mean 6 mil, rather than 6 inches, cuz you're gonna need a ladder to get into that bed!

muirford's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Must have been a freudian slip since I feel like I just had the princess/pea guest here.  Yes, it's actually 6 mil rather than 3 mil. 

I want to open the windows to get rid of the vinyl smell also, but we are started into the rain now.

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I was wondering how people did those feather beds. I could not see having to wash THOSE every couple of weeks or more. Do you put a thin mattress cover over that? Not a think one, right?

I took my nephews up into the attic to see what's up there and I have all the duvets stored there for now. One nephew leaned on the pile of them and said, 'You should put these on the beds.' I told him I do in the winter but now people kick them onto the floor. He said, 'Not on top, right in the bed, these are so comfy!' There ya go then. 13 yo and he knows comfy!

You must have to have really deep fitted sheets to do the feather beds.

muirford's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

We didn't want to do the plush top mattresses but I find the firm mattresses a little too tough to sleep on so we thought the featherbeds were a good option.  The memory foams seem too hot to me.  We don't wash them because they are under the mattress cover and are not slept on directly - even with cover kickers.  The mattress covers are pretty thin although I have a few that are thicker from earlier in our ownership.  They are harder to wash, too.

I have had to get deeper pocketed sheets anyway when I bought new mattesses a few years ago - I need a minimum of 11-inch pockets for my beds.

Offline
Joined:
06/23/2008

A while ago I came across some internet sites that say Vancouver is going to have real problems in 2010 with the winter Olympics. Even the really high end hotels already have had problems.  Steam cleaning is a great idea - I already have a steamer and use it regularly on the beds with every change over. Now there is real paranoia setting in!

__________________

Vancouver Islander

 

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

vancouverislander wrote:

A while ago I came across some internet sites that say Vancouver is going to have real problems in 2010 with the winter Olympics. Even the really high end hotels already have had problems.  Steam cleaning is a great idea - I already have a steamer and use it regularly on the beds with every change over. Now there is real paranoia setting in!

How does that help? And EVERY changeover? Holy cow. Doesn't the steam get the mattress damp?

IronGate's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/09/2008

vancouverislander wrote:

A while ago I came across some internet sites that say Vancouver is going to have real problems in 2010 with the winter Olympics. Even the really high end hotels already have had problems.  Steam cleaning is a great idea - I already have a steamer and use it regularly on the beds with every change over. Now there is real paranoia setting in!

You steam clean your mattresses every time you flip a room?  That's not good for the mattresses, and it can lead to mold and mildew, especially in a humid environment.  Covering up the mattress with protectors, pads and linens, etc., before it is completely dry exacerbates the problem. 

__________________

Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.

 

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

i bought a steamer and have steam cleaned the mattresses and box springs (one at a time when we are slow i do them again)

this supposedly kills off anything that might be lurking.  haven't seen any evidence and, to tell the truth, i don't want to!

tea tree oil and water in a mister is a deterent ... it's not a pesticide but if you are looking for something less caustic to discourage the 'buggers' ........

have you seen the matress encasement systems by protect-a-bed? you basically lock any lurkers inside, or lock any visitors out.

 

__________________

Wear cute PJ’s to bed; you never know who you may meet in your dreams.

 

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Health department requires commercial pest control here.  I have them spray both our properties every 2 months.  He sprays the yards really well, and around the foundations of the houses.  Then, he sprays all entry points inside.  Warm climate...plenty of bugs here.  ugh. 

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Here is a helpful resource. Bedbugs Factsheet

Offline
Joined:
06/23/2008

Hi all,

There was an article in today's local paper mentioning a problem in hotels. Apparently Vancouver and Whistler have problems as well.

www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html

Pretty scary!

 

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Locations that attract alot of foreign travelers and their luggage have to deal with this sort of thing. Bedbugs are really on the rise.

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

catlady wrote:

Locations that attract alot of foreign travelers and their luggage have to deal with this sort of thing. Bedbugs are really on the rise.

All I can think of isall the visitors and athletes in China bringing them back to the US.  Let's keep an eye out and see if it RISES dramatically in the next couple months.

__________________

"What the country needs is dirtier fingernails and cleaner minds." Will Rogers

 

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Hmmm...i am thinking because the athletes were staying in a new and totally modern facility..that it MIGHT be ok..but the visitors...that's another story. But the Chinese have so controlled just about every aspect of the Games, where people could actually go...it was probably pretty well sanitized for the average visitor.

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

catlady wrote:

Hmmm...i am thinking because the athletes were staying in a new and totally modern facility..that it MIGHT be ok..but the visitors...that's another story. But the Chinese have so controlled just about every aspect of the Games, where people could actually go...it was probably pretty well sanitized for the average visitor.

Yes new facilities etc, but the workers at the hotels etc do not live in them.  They can bring them in from home.

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

When we change the mattress pads (every 2 weeks or so, sometimes more) we do an inspection of the mattress. When we do our big cleaning where we remove all the furniture from the room, we clean the entire bed (wash the frame and vacuum the mattress & boxspring) and vacuum out the outlets, baseboards, radiators, etc.

But, the article is right, it only takes one guest with a couple of bugs and then it's necessary to spray all the rooms the touch the one infected because the bugs will migrate via outlets and pipes.

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

any are welcome to come here, check in, sleep on the bed (or try to with my noisy mattress protectors) and tell me if any noise is disturbing you.  i slept on two of the eight beds, and no noise with the brand i bought. they are not plastic - they are a rubber/cotton thing or some such configuration.  cost the earth for me at the time.

noooooooo ... silly .......... i would not be alluding to bed wetters ... although that year the bed bug scandal hit i was worried about that ... turned out to be a non issue.  and, as i said, no guest has asked about the mattress pads ... it's just a suggestion of what to say. 

i think at least one guest in three years would have complained if a bed was noisy. i mean, i have guests who want no feathers, no wool, no scent, no fabric softener, no potpourri, no air freshener, no rugs or carpet in the room they are staying in ... they complain about the seagulls outside ... guests watching tv downstairs in the library, loud ticking clock radio which i removed during their stay ... so wouldn't they mention noisy bed linens?

i thought the state of maine inspector we had mentioned a requirement for waterproof mattress pads which is when i bought them -- back in 05/06. i don't recall seeing that requirement in writing but i did everything i was told to do.

 

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Hey, one of my neighbors who works renovating hotels was just talking about bed bugs.  Is this a problem?  I think I read something a long time ago about foreigh travelers bringing them into the States. 

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Samster wrote:

Hey, one of my neighbors who works renovating hotels was just talking about bed bugs.  Is this a problem?  I think I read something a long time ago about foreigh travelers bringing them into the States. 

Did you see that expose on the old mattresses being recovered and resold and they are full of them!  Those discount mattress places are riddled with them, and apparently there is no legislation in place to force them to take care of the problem. Other than to warn consumers.

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

No!!  Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?????  omg...that is hideous!

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

 

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Wow, that was super inexpensive to do all those beds.  I hope that the plastic/vinyl isn't noisy too.  I'm not a fan of those covers because I toss & turn alot & they've been noisy when we've encountered them.  That's why I got just the waterproof mattress pads to go under the thick mattress pads.  But, I'll keep my fingers crossed that yours work out for you!

Sanctuary's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/10/2008

Just a guest’s perspective, purely for FYI purposes: I once stayed at a little "ma and pop" place on the beach in Fort Lauderdale, rather than a traditional hotel chain like I normally did, when I was coming to South Florida somewhat regularly in search of a charteryacht. They had those vinyl/plastic sheets. While I really like location, the amenities, the room, the quaintness, the fact that it was run by people who had an interest in the place rather than a large corporation, and most everything about the place, the crunching noise from the plastic was unbearable. I did not go back, and I was leery of the small, independent inns on the beach thereafter because I didn’t want to have to try to sleep through all the noise of the plastic. 

When I went looking for waterproof mattress pads for the yacht, this scenario came to mind and I ended up finding one that was waterproof, but not plastic sounding. The first ones I got were plastic sounding, and after I opened the first one, they all got returned for fear that there will be people like me who won’t be repeat guests if the beds make that kind of noise with every movement. It sounds like you’ve taken steps to damper that noise. The whole mattress ordeal is just a catch 22, and I completely understand why inns protect their mattresses.  So far, I've been lucky without incident that ever reached the mattress - I'm counting on the waterproof mattress pads to be what they say they are.  It's not like I've got room to keep extra mattresses on hand. 

 Speaking of mattresses, I got a call Friday from a guest who was here 2 years ago. This was nice to hear: She mentioned that the night she spent here was the very best night’s sleep she’s ever had in her entire life due to how comfortable the beds were. What’s funny about that is that the mattress was the original 26 year old FOAM mattress. Hatteras used the very best materials available when building these classics (lot of airliner-quality stuff - you should see how thick the copper pipes are when you cut one open!!!) and the guests’s comment about the comfort of such an old foam mattress speaks to the validity of the Hatteras reputation. I’m still sleeping on 28 year old foam, and it’s very comfortable. I’m almost afraid to get new mattresses. Smiling

__________________

Ang
www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com
58' Hatteras Motor Yacht
Miami, FL

 

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Yeah, if it wasn't for that bedwetter, I'd probably still be thinking about this. Because I have the cover on my own pillow for dust mites, I'm used to the scritch scritch noise. I guess I'll have to try out one of the beds now and see if it is too noisy.

Altho, I did 2-3 beds last week and haven't heard any complaints about noise. (Just that one 'uncomfortable' comment on TA and who knows how long ago she stayed.)

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Bree wrote:

Yeah, if it wasn't for that bedwetter, I'd probably still be thinking about this. Because I have the cover on my own pillow for dust mites, I'm used to the scritch scritch noise. I guess I'll have to try out one of the beds now and see if it is too noisy.

Altho, I did 2-3 beds last week and haven't heard any complaints about noise. (Just that one 'uncomfortable' comment on TA and who knows how long ago she stayed.)

Question - was the bed wetter on a twin bed? I forgot what you said.  If so, would it be in the best interest to only have the rubber sheets on the twins? Or?  You have already done what you need to, just wondering.

You better sleep in them too (LOL! Like you want to mess up a bed by sleeping in it!) We had one bed that had the protector that made noise.  Noone said anything, but I figured it would be terrible and finally ripped it off of there.  This was after a nice puffy non down cover was put over it too.  It didn't squeak, it kinda groaned under the weight of people.

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

JunieBJones (JBJ) wrote:

Bree wrote:

Yeah, if it wasn't for that bedwetter, I'd probably still be thinking about this. Because I have the cover on my own pillow for dust mites, I'm used to the scritch scritch noise. I guess I'll have to try out one of the beds now and see if it is too noisy.

Altho, I did 2-3 beds last week and haven't heard any complaints about noise. (Just that one 'uncomfortable' comment on TA and who knows how long ago she stayed.)

Question - was the bed wetter on a twin bed? I forgot what you said.  If so, would it be in the best interest to only have the rubber sheets on the twins? Or?  You have already done what you need to, just wondering.

You better sleep in them too (LOL! Like you want to mess up a bed by sleeping in it!) We had one bed that had the protector that made noise.  Noone said anything, but I figured it would be terrible and finally ripped it off of there.  This was after a nice puffy non down cover was put over it too.  It didn't squeak, it kinda groaned under the weight of people.

Bedwetter was in twin bed but I have had parents put a toddler in the king bed with them, so best to cover all the bases. And guests who take the suite or other 2-bed room I can never tell who is getting which bed. Hubs wanted to know if the bed was noisy, but because I never checked before it was hard to tell just by pushing on the mattress pad. I can try the king before I put it on the bed tomorrow and see if I can hear a difference. Heck, I'll get in the bed and bounce around and see what happens.

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Bree wrote:

JunieBJones (JBJ) wrote:

Bree wrote:

Yeah, if it wasn't for that bedwetter, I'd probably still be thinking about this. Because I have the cover on my own pillow for dust mites, I'm used to the scritch scritch noise. I guess I'll have to try out one of the beds now and see if it is too noisy.

Altho, I did 2-3 beds last week and haven't heard any complaints about noise. (Just that one 'uncomfortable' comment on TA and who knows how long ago she stayed.)

Question - was the bed wetter on a twin bed? I forgot what you said.  If so, would it be in the best interest to only have the rubber sheets on the twins? Or?  You have already done what you need to, just wondering.

You better sleep in them too (LOL! Like you want to mess up a bed by sleeping in it!) We had one bed that had the protector that made noise.  Noone said anything, but I figured it would be terrible and finally ripped it off of there.  This was after a nice puffy non down cover was put over it too.  It didn't squeak, it kinda groaned under the weight of people.

Bedwetter was in twin bed but I have had parents put a toddler in the king bed with them, so best to cover all the bases. And guests who take the suite or other 2-bed room I can never tell who is getting which bed. Hubs wanted to know if the bed was noisy, but because I never checked before it was hard to tell just by pushing on the mattress pad. I can try the king before I put it on the bed tomorrow and see if I can hear a difference. Heck, I'll get in the bed and bounce around and see what happens.

Hm, as a parent of prev enuresis children, I would never put them in the same bed.  That would be THE CLUE in my estimation.  That was why I asked about the twin bed thing.  Peeing another bed is a shame, but peeing the bed YOU ARE IN is not going to happen when a parent knows there is an issue with it in advance.

I have a lot to share on the subject off forum if anyone has questions. 

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

JunieBJones (JBJ) wrote:

Bree wrote:

JunieBJones (JBJ) wrote:

Bree wrote:

Yeah, if it wasn't for that bedwetter, I'd probably still be thinking about this. Because I have the cover on my own pillow for dust mites, I'm used to the scritch scritch noise. I guess I'll have to try out one of the beds now and see if it is too noisy.

Altho, I did 2-3 beds last week and haven't heard any complaints about noise. (Just that one 'uncomfortable' comment on TA and who knows how long ago she stayed.)

Question - was the bed wetter on a twin bed? I forgot what you said.  If so, would it be in the best interest to only have the rubber sheets on the twins? Or?  You have already done what you need to, just wondering.

You better sleep in them too (LOL! Like you want to mess up a bed by sleeping in it!) We had one bed that had the protector that made noise.  Noone said anything, but I figured it would be terrible and finally ripped it off of there.  This was after a nice puffy non down cover was put over it too.  It didn't squeak, it kinda groaned under the weight of people.

Bedwetter was in twin bed but I have had parents put a toddler in the king bed with them, so best to cover all the bases. And guests who take the suite or other 2-bed room I can never tell who is getting which bed. Hubs wanted to know if the bed was noisy, but because I never checked before it was hard to tell just by pushing on the mattress pad. I can try the king before I put it on the bed tomorrow and see if I can hear a difference. Heck, I'll get in the bed and bounce around and see what happens.

Hm, as a parent of prev enuresis children, I would never put them in the same bed.  That would be THE CLUE in my estimation.  That was why I asked about the twin bed thing.  Peeing another bed is a shame, but peeing the bed YOU ARE IN is not going to happen when a parent knows there is an issue with it in advance.

I have a lot to share on the subject off forum if anyone has questions. 

That's how I think on the subject as well...no parent is going to sleep in the bed knowing full well the kid pees. So if they say, 'Oh, so and so will sleep in the same bed,' I'm pretty certain I don't have to worry. NOT that I want all those guests in one room anyway.

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

read this with a prissy innkeeper voice "Yes.  tell the guests if they complain that other guests urinate all over the beds. 

That oughta stop all comments.  Too much information.

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

JunieBJones (JBJ) wrote:

read this with a prissy innkeeper voice "Yes.  tell the guests if they complain that other guests urinate all over the beds. 

That oughta stop all comments.  Too much information.

I have been trying to find the 'right' explanation should anyone going stripping the beds looking for brand names. I think I would go with the 'protection of assets' and  'comfort of all guests'. If that brings on complaints, I say it is required by the board of health. Period.

Willowpondgj's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/06/2008

Great now get ready for all the complaints that they can't sleep because the bed's too hot!

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Willowpondgj wrote:

Great now get ready for all the complaints that they can't sleep because the bed's too hot!

On top of the vinyl sheet is a 2-3" cotton mattress pad. I think if I don't mention the vinyl, no one will even know it is there. With the mattress pad on top, I think it will deaden any of that 'scratchy' sound, too.

And if anyone wants to trade 'too hot' stories with me, I'll tell them I run the window fan into November, when hubs absolutely says, 'It has to stop now!'

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

it will be fine!  you have to protect your mattresses. 

any grumbling or grumping by a guest and i would tell them it is for sanitary reasons for their protection.  which is true.  it's one thing for a family member to wet their own  family owned and used mattress, it's quite another for this to happen to a guest bed. 

we have them on our mattresses and i have not heard any complaints.  it is the last barrier under the quilted mattress pad and the sheet. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.