Are you a member of your state B&B association?

33 replies [Last post]
InnBloom's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/03/2010
Yes, and I'm active on boards and committees
26% (6 votes)
Yes, but I'm not actively involved--just pay my dues
39% (9 votes)
No, and never have been
26% (6 votes)
No, but I used to be--before I quit
9% (2 votes)
Total votes: 23

__________________

Bloom where you're planted...

 

Offline
Joined:
07/23/2008

I wanted to join, but can't afford it. I'm not a big b&b, but still, it costs a lot. i didn't see much in the way of benefits tho. But I have down loaded all their 'guidelines and rules' and totally follow them. If I were to be inspected, I'd totally pass. But cant afford to do it.

__________________

Sunshine

 

Offline
Joined:
03/11/2009

Joined one year ago and would love to attend a meeting but I have asked to be notified 4 times of meetings or e-mail a schedule to me...nothing yet. I guess our area is not very active ?

__________________

Mary in Virginia

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Mary at Bridgewater Inn and Cottage wrote:

Joined one year ago and would love to attend a meeting but I have asked to be notified 4 times of meetings or e-mail a schedule to me...nothing yet. I guess our area is not very active ?

Oddly enough I am invited quite often and in the loop and am not currently a member.  It seems that many times the focus is on new membership, I know I am hit daily by lanierbb and a plethora of other B&B directories (I know this is not a directory, just saying I am inundated with their solicitations right now, and phone calls!)

I am on the border for regions, they wanted us with central (which has always been a fine line for me, as we are in the mountains, the blue ridge parkway is in our county!!) and we are nowhere near Richmond in central virginia which is hours and hours away. But if you look at the regions map (click the link and MAP) you will see a jutting out of our county in the orange which is BLUE RIDGE HIGHLANDS, not sure why it is not blue, specifically as the tourism region for the state has adjusted it.   See the orange where it says Blue ridge parkway, that's me right there! Smiling

http://www.innvirginia.com/listings_by_region.php

and...Roanoke is just up the road from us, I was there yesterday, that is the lower Shenandoah Valley, and we belong the to CVB and market that area heavily!! 

Gotta do what ya gotta do. Money is money, it is not growing on trees, so we have to put it to the best use! That is up to each individual inn.

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

We had a member I got to join when I told her she could be listed in the region she wanted. She is also "on the cusp, technically in my region but she gets her guests from the neighboring region - just over the County line. I get the same kind of calls she did - how far are you from Morgantoen - farther than most people want to be. I got flack for it but did not care - it made business sense to list her in the other region. She is now VP of the Assoc. A WORKER!!!

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

 There has always been issues with regions and which ones the inn should be located in. Sometimes we just let them pick the one they wanted. I don't know what they do now. When they set up the new site years ago, they switched it so that it would match the VA.org site. 

greyswan's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/03/2008

DH is the new regional director for our BBAV.  We both are green (I'm his unofficial admin assist for this position) and will learn as we go

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Congrats!!

Guests that left this morning are from NH. They found us through the Assoc. web site. They said WV and VA do a great job with the web site. They said NY was horrible. I do not think they looked at the Ohio Assoc site - THAT is really bad in my opinion. I feel sorry for Ohio inns.

Innkeep's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/04/2008

I have to agree with Sandynn.  Our state association is made up of the old timers.  Our state's alcoholic beverage laws do not define B&B's, so, in spite of the fact that there are now wineries in a larger number of areas across the state, there is no way that any of the B&B's can serve local wine. 

When I tried to get the officers interested in going to the legislature to update the law so that B&B's could obtain some sort of license, the answer I got was "We don't want to go to the legislature, because if we do, they might try to update the fire codes and putting in sprinkler systems would be cost prohibitive"  Whaaat???  So our organization has taken the stance that we should all fly below all radars. 

Up until last year the by-laws included a provision that prohibited lobbying the legislature at all.  I made some suggestions about revising the bylaws to get that provision out, but ironically I guess they prefer not to take advantage of positive changes that could be made for our B&B industry. I personally don't worry about not being able to serve wine, although I see it as a disadvantage for some. 

After one year of being active in the association I figured trying to talk sense to the old folks would certainly burn me out fairly quickly.  I'm just too old to take on another crusade at this juncture of my life.  Because of hits on my website from the links on the state B&B website, and an inspection program I look at it as another directory listing, so I no longer worry about what they're up to.

Highlands John's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/16/2010

Up to the AGM last Thursday I was treasurer and membership secretary of the local tourism association, but have now thrown my toys out of the pram and quit due to being very unhappy about the way the group is going.

It's a bit complicated, but to simplify.... we have a local group for this side of l och ne ss. It's been around for 20 years or so, is very successful, has an membership of almost 100% in this area and drives the most traffic to our website outside of go ogle. In recent years a new group has started for the whole of lo ch ne ss, has been unsuccessful at attracting membership and as a consequence expanded it's catchment area to increase it's income. I disagree with this. Now two members of our committee (who happen to be directors of the larger group) have successfully implemented a merger of the two.

I'm very against this merger and beleive our area group should stay independant, but these two members have basically managed to get the change through by offering members 2 website entries for the price of one and also relying on members not really understanding the implications of the merger (due to them just wanting a website entry and not really interested in the mechanics of the group).

So I wrote a resignation letter at the weekend detailing everything I thought was wrong with the merger and the way the two groups where run, and upset a few people.

__________________

If you wanted hotel facilities you should have booked a hotel and paid hotel prices!!!

 

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

We don't have a "State/Provincial" association, other than the government mandated one, of which we have no choice but to be a member. We have two for the city, the tourism board and the B&B board. We aren't members of either. So... what do I put?

__________________

Permission to quote in whole or in part, other than usage on this forum, is entirely forbidden.

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Chambers are not tourism focused, they are local and retail business focused.

State associations imo, have never been about marketing their member inns either. That is not their focus (not sure they should be, they are not B&B directories as such, altho many do offer that as well).

International/National Associations are the same, not focused on marketing the member inns.  As professional associations they hold other positions in our day-to-day innkeeping. I realize they cannot be all things to all innkeepers. Would be nice to be the voice of innkeepers, however, as we do need a voice other than "Come and get it!"

But it all comes down to cost (if we can't afford it and need to use that $ elsewhere then that is what we have to do) and benefits, what are the benefits, are there any? Are there any for ME personally here at this inn? Or are they just blowing smoke, and it is just another association to join and pay costly dues?

Silverspoon's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/16/2011

"Chambers are not tourism focused, they are local and retail business focused."

Not true in our case!  We live in an area where tourism drives the economy so the local chambers have to promote the lodging industry or the retail owners will starve.  But not all chambers are equal.  In fact, we dropped our local chamber because they were not focused on B+B lodging but were quite proactive for seasonal cottages...probably due to the fact that most of the board members own rental properties in town. 

We do belong to the chamber in the neighboring town because they provide a great lodging blog where we can maintain an up-to-the-moment presence.  We keep them updated about our availability and, yes, they have actually sent us guests!  That's more than I can say for our local town chamber just down the street. 

 

__________________

Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade.
Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)

 

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

 Our chamber is tourist oriented much to the disappointment of some other businesses, but they focus mainly on the cabin rental and not B & B. There are more than 250 rental cabins here so I can understand that...they do support B & B's  to some extent but do have to be reminded.

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

 I know some who do not belong to anything and they have done just fine marketing themselves....although TA has played a big role in at least one of them.

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

I'm doing my best to stack the committee with progressives as there are 2 seats spare this year! the election is  in january. One of the worst for being a stick in the mud resigned at the last committee meeting due to having health issues (she has to have a ton of stuff done to her foot) so that cleares the decks a bit!

__________________

Don't mess with me today or I will kill you!!!!

 

Offline
Joined:
06/24/2008

Not a member, never have.  This state assoc has had its ups and downs prices were once through the roof to be a member they heard it ringing from many of us and did lower their prices considerably but I still have not found value.  When we were considering this business we contacted them for resource information and got nothing. 

I am a member & board member of our local association (combined with hotels and all lodging) and have been for about 10 years.  I am grateful that the association feels that the B&B's are worthy of a board seat.  With over 10 B&B's in the area, while we do not make a dent with the # of our rooms combined, we are a great asset to our area providing something unique compaired to the cookie cutter 4 walls.  I learn a lot from them and they learn a little from me as well. 

Skamokawa's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/24/2008

Our state dropped the tourism office in a budget cutting move.  The B&B Guild in our state has a high membership cost that doesn't make sense as it is not geared to increasing bookings for its members. Our local chamber is our best option for membership.  In the last year, the chamber website "got it" as to how important it is to attract out of area people to attractions in the county. 

__________________

Twin Gables Inn
On the Lower Columbia Water Trail

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Skamokawa wrote:

In the last year, the chamber website "got it" as to how important it is to attract out of area people to attractions in the county. 

Wish our chamber would "get it". They think our tourism efforts here are a joke. They're still living in the 1970s and recruitment of industry is all they're intersted in. Of course, there IS no new industry coming to town anymore, but that's all the chamber thinks about.

A few months ago they made a HUGE splash in the newspaper because they persuaded some New Jersey company to move their 3-person telephone support office here! Big deal!

__________________

All saints can do miracles, but few of them can keep hotel. ~ Mark Twain

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

I will say for my state association that they are very proactive in looking out for stuff the state might do without thinking about it first just to get more tax revenue. I know they fight the good fight in the legislature even though they don't win every time.

For that alone they are worth supporting.

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Madeleine wrote:

I will say for my state association that they are very proactive in looking out for stuff the state might do without thinking about it first just to get more tax revenue. I know they fight the good fight in the legislature even though they don't win every time.

For that alone they are worth supporting.

Exactly - a trade association should be looking out for that trade. The Legislature will no pay attention to one voice blowing in the wind BUT with voices all over the State (VOTERS) they will listen, at least somewhat.

I did not think PAII was worth joining until Jay got the 1000lb gorilla to actually meet with him. THAT was, and IS, worth supporting. One voice spits in the wind - voices all over the Country (and Internationally) do, in many cases make the Powers That Be at least take notice. Perhaps someday they will even listen and change a few things.

We have members (some former) who thought the Association was to put heads in their beds. It is a marketing entity to make people more aware B & Bs exist (in addition to the legislative issues) but putting heads in their beds is the job of each innkeeper. Our Association was actually formed because of a Legistative issue - commercial kitchens - and they WON!

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

I am on the committee for our local association but they drive me bonkers as they are soo old fashioned when I suggested a group blog and a facebook page they acted like i was bonkers. Trouble is they have this attitude of this is what we have always done and this is what we will always do crap and I have no patience with that.

Offline
Joined:
06/15/2008

Wow that sounds like ours. They are not very progressive. I really think they think they are. They seem to want the same ones to run it as have done forever. I am only in it now for the website. A couple of years ago we had many new people on the board and they were just great with new ideas but they wanted them gone. 

 

__________________

sandynn

 

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

camberleyhotelharrogate@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

I am on the committee for our local association but they drive me bonkers as they are soo old fashioned when I suggested a group blog and a facebook page they acted like i was bonkers. Trouble is they have this attitude of this is what we have always done and this is what we will always do crap and I have no patience with that.

I liken myself to the toy that was popular when I was a kid - the Roly-Poly. It was an inflatable that when punched rolled over and stood up again.  Although I came into the Assoc withing 5 years of its founding, it was already entrenched. I came in with my usual "non-grace" (I was not trying to barge in but guess I did) and as they moved on, retired, dropped out, I held on because it was important. My nose has been pushed out of shape so many times that it points to my ear now - OK, not quite. But if I have a passion for something, hurt feelings and insults, slights (entrenched stupidity) are not going to get rid of me. I will work with what I have to if I believe the end result is worth it. If the end result is worth the effort to you, hang in and drag them kicking and screaming - especially if it will benefit you and your city.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

camberleyhotelharrogate@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

I am on the committee for our local association but they drive me bonkers as they are soo old fashioned when I suggested a group blog and a facebook page they acted like i was bonkers. Trouble is they have this attitude of this is what we have always done and this is what we will always do crap and I have no patience with that.

You wild crazy maniac.

I hear ya. That is part of the issue with many of these things, I am happy to train people too, but they are untrainable and set in their ways. When I was approached to create and send out a quarterly newsletter for an org I am involved with I point blank said no. I will do a blog. It will have archives, photos, link for information, and it falls under the category education and outreach. Then...others can submit articles and photos and information as well...it was very difficult to get them to understand.  

I sign my emails with "Youngest of ye ol' fuddy duddy club" (It's not a club, I just like yankin' their chain to get them to lighten up, everything is too serious, they need tohave some fun!)

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Yes, because I am small and in Podunk, I was able to be very involved. DH was very supportive of me. I went to every Tourism meeting, workshop, rail-trails meeting, was a Councilman in my City and went to Municipal League Conferences at my own expense (Council at that time saw no reason for anyone to go much less at City expense).

In the Assoc. I was a Regional Director, a poor excuse for a treasurer (understood the various pockets in the pants, but expeense/loss, budgets, ets were way beyond me and the assoc had grown big enough to need that), then I was Marketing and Legislative Chair (palmed off the Marketing to everyone's surprise), am still Legislative, and a past-prez. I worked the Legislature with the help of the membership and a good lobbyist to get the Fire Codes changed for the betterment of our members. My only regret is that I did not get everything we asked for. We achieved what we did BECAUSE we were a strong Association. Remember, an Association is only as good as the people who get involved make it.

Because of those meetings, workshops, Conferences I have a network that has been beneficial to the Association (strong ties to Tourism - being on call if they needed something and coming through helps - and they have helped the Assoc in MANY ways) and to my City. I was able to introduce my City Manager to some people to get her started - and she would tell you that (but that was all she needed). It was through these things that I was able to get to know the best PR guy. Did I lose some business because of these activities - heck yes. I passed many a room down the road to another member, but I have gained so much in the networking and the wonderful people I have met through these activities.

All it took was a phone call when we needed the Tourism Commissioner to help unveil a painting at MountainFest. But I had made arrangements for rooms for Tourism and rearranged for them when I got a call while I was in NYC years before and things like that are remembered. Within an hour I had taken care of their problem. Being an involved member was the only way I know to do things - and surprised many when I stepped back telling the next generation of our Association to have at it. It is theirs to run now and I now get involved only when asked. I will do the Legislative as long as they want me to do it because I know the Legislators and how the system works. There is a time to do and a time to step aside and I am grateful I knew the timing of both. Now is my time for my City.

InnBloom's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/03/2010

I'm curious about feedback on all 4 poll answers:

  If you are actively involved, what do you get out of it?

  If you are a member but not involved---why not?

  If you've never been a member---why not?

  And if you QUIT---why?

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

InnBloom wrote:

I'm curious about feedback on all 4 poll answers:

  If you are actively involved, what do you get out of it?

  If you are a member but not involved---why not?

  If you've never been a member---why not?

  And if you QUIT---why?

The last one is not QUIT it is did not renew membership.

InnBloom's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/03/2010

Can you say more about the distinction between "quit" and "did not renew membership"?  It must be important, but I'm afraid I don't yet understand.

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

InnBloom wrote:

Can you say more about the distinction between "quit" and "did not renew membership"?  It must be important, but I'm afraid I don't yet understand.

 

I think 'quit' is something you do when they tick you off and 'not renew' is something you do when you just don't see the purpose in belonging any longer. Although, they can occur simultaneously on occasion!

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Financial affordability for one thing would make one not renew. Quit means - to me - a non-belief in the relevance. There are things I believe in and support philosophicly but cannot afford to participate in.

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

 I was an active member for 6 years. Served as state Pres. for 2 years, and was the webmaster for 5 years. I believe strongly in the association and the networking it provides. But I do understand there are many who can't afford the time nor the extra for dues etc. I believed firmly in being part of a professional organization in whatever field I worked in. And having said all this, I think because of my heavy involvement, I attribute my early burn out because I was so involved and cared too much. I just grew too tired to do both so stopped.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

I'm a member, pay my dues but who has time to go to meetings and be on the board? The only folks I know who are on the board here either have tiny places (3-4 rooms) or huge places (up to 100 rooms) and/or fulltime staff.

Silverspoon's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/16/2011

Frankly, we have never belonged to our state lodging association.  I am not convinced that they have much to offer us.  We are full when we need to be and use other associations that do a good job with referrals.  There is one 16-room inn in our town that is a member of the state association, but none of the B+B's in our town or in the popular adjacent town are members.  After all these years building a reputation and networking with other Chamber of Commerce members, I think another membership is a waste of time and energy.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.