30 replies [Last post]
Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

I'm going with keypad door locks rather than keys and it occurs to me that I can add a custom field to my online reservations form that lets people, optionally, enter the 4-digit code they'd prefer to use during their stay. That way if they already have an easy to remember code, they can use it. Of course, if they choose not to provide a code, I'll generate a random one for them.

I really don't like the idea of using the last 4 digits of their phone number, since anybody who knows we do that, meaning all the other guests in the place, could get into a person's room if they can learn their phone number.

__________________

All saints can do miracles, but few of them can keep hotel. ~ Mark Twain

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

I finally got the Schlage/Nexia remotely programmable keypad door locks today, and it's even better than I expected! I knew I'd be able to remotely (from my iPhone or any computer) add and delete 4-digit door entry codes, and that works great. It will hold up to 19 different codes, so each housekeeper can be assigned her/his own code. When she/he leaves employment with me I just delete that one person's code and everybody else continues to use the code they already use. Plenty of room to add codes for different guests.

But what I didn't know is that it lets you set up an advance schedule for activating/deactivating codes, so I can set it all up in advance and forget it!

Example: Mrs. Gotrocks books "Room G" for arrival December 2 and departure December 5. Check-in time will be 3 p.m. and check-out is 11 a.m. I'm going to give her the code 8446.

From my computer, today, I can click "Add Schedule" in the Nexia app (on the Room G tab) and up comes a blank schedule to fill in. I type Mrs. Gotrocks to identify the schedule, and set code 8446 to work from 3 p.m. December 2 to 11:30 a.m. December 5 (I give them an extra 30 minutes to get out of the room, but I don't tell them that). Then click "Save" and I'm done! I can forget about it. The software will transmit the new code to the door lock at 3 p.m. on Dec. 2 and delete that code automatically on Dec. 5 at 11:30!

I've already done a lot of testing (playing) with it and it's flawless! Also, I've tested the notifications feature and that works perfectly too. I can set it to notify me by e-mail and/or text message to my phone when Mrs. Gotrocks arrives and enters code 8446, so I know she's there. Then I can leave the notifications on and know every time she arrives, or I can switch notifications off because I really don't care when she returns. But I know the first time she arrives so I can pop in and welcome her, get paperwork signed, whatever.

Couldn't be happier!!

Hillbilly's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/22/2011

Arkansawyer wrote:

I finally got the Schlage/Nexia remotely programmable keypad door locks today, and it's even better than I expected! I knew I'd be able to remotely (from my iPhone or any computer) add and delete 4-digit door entry codes, and that works great. It will hold up to 19 different codes, so each housekeeper can be assigned her/his own code. When she/he leaves employment with me I just delete that one person's code and everybody else continues to use the code they already use. Plenty of room to add codes for different guests.

But what I didn't know is that it lets you set up an advance schedule for activating/deactivating codes, so I can set it all up in advance and forget it!

Example: Mrs. Gotrocks books "Room G" for arrival December 2 and departure December 5. Check-in time will be 3 p.m. and check-out is 11 a.m. I'm going to give her the code 8446.

From my computer, today, I can click "Add Schedule" in the Nexia app (on the Room G tab) and up comes a blank schedule to fill in. I type Mrs. Gotrocks to identify the schedule, and set code 8446 to work from 3 p.m. December 2 to 11:30 a.m. December 5 (I give them an extra 30 minutes to get out of the room, but I don't tell them that). Then click "Save" and I'm done! I can forget about it. The software will transmit the new code to the door lock at 3 p.m. on Dec. 2 and delete that code automatically on Dec. 5 at 11:30!

I've already done a lot of testing (playing) with it and it's flawless! Also, I've tested the notifications feature and that works perfectly too. I can set it to notify me by e-mail and/or text message to my phone when Mrs. Gotrocks arrives and enters code 8446, so I know she's there. Then I can leave the notifications on and know every time she arrives, or I can switch notifications off because I really don't care when she returns. But I know the first time she arrives so I can pop in and welcome her, get paperwork signed, whatever.

Couldn't be happier!!

Do you have to pay a fee per month, per lock for that?

__________________

Hillbilly

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Bob wrote:

Do you have to pay a fee per month, per lock for that?

Yes, there's a fee to use their online service. You pay about $9.50/month, or can pay $95 up front for the year and get 2 months free.

In my case, with a vacation rental where I'm not there when the guests arrive, it's well worth the monthly fee!

Hillbilly's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/22/2011

Arkansawyer wrote:

Bob wrote:

Do you have to pay a fee per month, per lock for that?

Yes, there's a fee to use their online service. You pay about $9.50/month, or can pay $95 up front for the year and get 2 months free.

In my case, with a vacation rental where I'm not there when the guests arrive, it's well worth the monthly fee!

I have 7 suites. That would be a big expense. If I was in your position, I would do it for sure!

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Bob wrote:

I have 7 suites. That would be a big expense. If I was in your position, I would do it for sure!

Just to be clear, it's $9.50/month total, not $9.50 for each door you control. For that one monthly $9.50 fee you can control about 300 devices through their website.

"Devices" also includes things like thermostats you can remotely control from your computer, so you can have them set back to a default setting at checkout time (and have them cool the room down before guests arrive if you want). Also you can set it to turn a lamp on in the room when the guest enters their door code. Lots of possibilities with this system!

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

I love this model. I don't have it but I love it! I have to manually change the codes but I've been doing it for a year now and it hasn't been TOO much of a problem.

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

I noticed at a hotel the other day that the maid was throwing away the plastic key cards from the rooms.  I guess I thought they reprogrammed them or something.

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Offline
Joined:
01/19/2012

Joey Bloggs wrote:

I noticed at a hotel the other day that the maid was throwing away the plastic key cards from the rooms.  I guess I thought they reprogrammed them or something.

The hotel I work at has the plastic key cards, and they get reprogrammed.  If the guest doesn't return the key at the end of their stay they are charged $2.00 (which they are told when checking in).

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Olga wrote:

Joey Bloggs wrote:

I noticed at a hotel the other day that the maid was throwing away the plastic key cards from the rooms.  I guess I thought they reprogrammed them or something.

The hotel I work at has the plastic key cards, and they get reprogrammed.  If the guest doesn't return the key at the end of their stay they are charged $2.00 (which they are told when checking in).

I have seen that at previous hotels, that is why I thought it strange. It was the ra ddi s son. Or the maid was just throwing them away. The trash was definately trash on the cart that she kept tossing them into, food and other rubbish in there.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

I thought they got reprogrammed, too.

Hillbilly's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/22/2011

Are you up and going with these new locks yet? Would like to know if it was a good choice to make, or just another thing to have to deal with during the day. Let us know! Thanks!

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Bob wrote:
Are you up and going with these new locks yet? Would like to know if it was a good choice to make, or just another thing to have to deal with during the day. Let us know! Thanks!

No, we're still about 7 months from opening the guesthouse. We've had the Schlage keypad locks for years, and they have worked flawlessly, but they aren't the remotely programmable ones.

I'm thinking being able to create and delete guest's entry codes from the comfort of my computer will be a lot easier than having to go reprogram them directly at the doors, or using keys that get lost, stolen, left in the room, etc.

It will be about a year before I can really report on the remote control ones, but I'm optimistic.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

 Thought you would get a kick out of this.

http://www.opulentitems.com/LED-Faucet-Light_p_623.html

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

I like! But I can just hear a guest asking why there's blood coming out of the faucet.

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

especially the red you would end up with a rep as a house of horrors! unless you were in  elm street and you were going for a themed property!

__________________

Don't mess with me today or I will kill you!!!!

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

If they already know their code before arriving, they will let themselves in at 9:30 in the morning and surprise the guests from last night who are in the shower.

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

 Which is why you don't program it until noon Smiling

__________________

Permission to quote in whole or in part, other than usage on this forum, is entirely forbidden.

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Eric Arthur Blair wrote:

 Which is why you don't program it until noon Smiling

So they'll let themselves in at noon and scare the housekeeper. The only way to make this work is to not program the door until check-in time. My guess is he wants to do this so it's easy for him.

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Madeleine wrote:

Eric Arthur Blair wrote:

 Which is why you don't program it until noon Smiling

So they'll let themselves in at noon and scare the housekeeper. The only way to make this work is to not program the door until check-in time. My guess is he wants to do this so it's easy for him.

Yes, I'm getting the Schlage remotely programmable keypads so people's code will go active right after the room is ready for occupation and the code will be deleted shortly after checkout time. These things are very quiet, no louder than a key turning in a keyhole.

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

Actually, that's ResortLock, not Schlage. They aren't remotely programmed. They lock has it's own code and you set the date and time. It then uses the date, time and lock number to generate a code that will work from x to y. 

It works and works well. The code it generates is 10 digits long and you give the guest instructions on how to program their own code. See http://www.resortlock.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1826 for an explanation or call ResortLock directly and they will explain it to you. I have found them to be very helpful. They even had parts made for me to be able to use the lock on my 120 year old doors.

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Eric Arthur Blair wrote:

Actually, that's ResortLock, not Schlage.

Oops! Sorry, I posted the wrong link. ResortLock was one I looked at last year, but I really need the remote programming. HERE is the remotely programmable one I'll be using. I can't correct the link above since you can't edit a post once somebody has replied/quoted it.

I'll be able to add and delete codes from my iPhone or any Internet-connected computer, anywhere. Excellent for self-check-in situations, it sends me an e-mail when the guests arrive and enter their code the first time.

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

The door that I have gives a temporary 10 digit code that they can use to program the door with. The codes are set to start and end at specific hours. So you can give them the code ahead of time but it won't work until 3PM and it locks them out at 11AM....

It's also great for rental apartments... they give you the rent cheque, you give them the new code for the month Smiling

InnBloom's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/03/2010

We just recently went with the keypad on the entry door and we love it.  (We also use one on our office and the entrance to our owner's quarters.  It means I never have to look for a key, and I love it.)

We're considering using them on room doors, too, but are just a little concerned about noise.  It would be fabulous to just be keyless.  For those of you who use them on interior doors, what do you think about noise?

We are usually selecting the last 4 of the phone number and are constantly amused by how many folks aren't intimately aware of their cell phone number.  (But I can relate to that because I don't remember mine half the time and I certainly don't know DH's!  He's just a click away on my phone.)

It has made late check-ins and self check-ins so much easier.

__________________

Bloom where you're planted...

 

Offline
Joined:
06/24/2008

We're considering using them on room doors, too, but are just a little concerned about noise.  It would be fabulous to just be keyless.  For those of you who use them on interior doors, what do you think about noise?

Silence is golden isn't it.  We also use the Schlege locks and they are silent compared to the ones we used before with beeping & grinding when it unlocked the doors.  Our older models also went through batteries much faster than the Schlege ones we currently have. 

We have regular key locks on the guest room doors and since they do not have the inn name on it, we place use a label maker to make code labels for the front door.  If the key is lost, there is no way to know what that code goes to - and we change the code as well.  I do not have special codes for each guest. 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Out 2 old keypads are VERY noisy. I can hear both of them clear across the building. Our new one is silent. It doesn't beep when you push the buttons, it doesn't sound like the gates of hell closing behind us. So, get them for the rooms but be sure you have the silent models. Our new one is also a Schlage. I can get the model type for you.

Ice
Offline
Joined:
02/22/2010

We have these locks and no one has ever forgot.  (but I bet now someone will) 

__________________

"Do not put off until tomorrow what can be put off till day-after-tomorrow just as well." Mark Twain

 

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

I can tell you WHY it's not a good idea to let them set it....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2011/11/22/technology-worst-passwords-splashdata.html

You are going to get people giving you 1234 or 4321 all the time.

You will also find out that some people don't know their own phone number.

We choose from many different numbers and present it to them. Telephone numbers, addresses, zip codes or even the last four digits of their credit card number. Just don't stick to one. And random... won't work, they will want a piece of paper to walk around with... a piece of paper they can lose. Considering that it's for a limited time, the last four digits of their phone number is pretty secure, especially because you have a logged trail.

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Good points. I'll put a note that codes like 1234 and 9876 will be rejected.

I do like the idea of letting them pick something they can remember.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

The ONLY numbers DH can remember are calibers. He does remember the last 4 of his ss number because it so easy to associated with something EVERYONE knows. He remembers the rest of his number becauseof calibers.

Even if they choose the numbers, the guests will forget.

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

gillumhouse wrote:

Even if they choose the numbers, the guests will forget.

Great! Then I'll charge them a fee to retrieve their number Eye-wink

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.