B&B name identified on posts to be or not to be?

22 replies [Last post]
JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

The reason many of us do not have a signature line or our inn name readily identifiable on our posts is for the PITAS we might have stay with us.  THIS IS OUR ONLY OUTLET to complain or share odd stories.  Some stories, if you have read this forum, can be VERY ODD.  People are odd.  Sometimes they stay in a B&B.

If a guest does a search of your place - by town or inn name you might pop up in google from this forum.

So the word to the wise is be careful what you say, or add an alias.

Example: a dear innkeeper who is not in Texas(but used to live in Texas) was on another B&B forum with a Texas USER ID NAMEIt was just enough scent to throw off any trouble makers.

Obv this is a community, where we all care about each other and DO eventually find out where each of us lies. Ahem, literally lies, lays our head.    Nothing wrong with that.  Many friendships have formed through this forum for which we are grateful.

Thanks everyone for all the input and for making this a very beneficial forum for all involved. 

Sharing GUEST stories is the best way for us to learn.  Noone would believe the things we say if they are outside of an Inn. 

My favorite learning experience from others on the forum was "You DO NOT WANT TO BE OPEN for NEW YEAR'S EVE."

Why?  I ask, being a newbie with bright eyes - sheilded only slightly by my rose colored glasses. 

"Have you ever scraped vomit off of wall paper?"  Nuff said.

__________________

"What the country needs is dirtier fingernails and cleaner minds." Will Rogers

 

swirt's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/17/2008

Dual itentities are allowed, one for cognito and one for incognito, however I do ask that all follow the terms of use related to Multiple Accounts for One Person. 

inncogneeto's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/31/2008

I already have a "cognito" screen name and one that I feel is more of an "alter ego" to that screen name, I've just decided to ditch the "cognito" screen name, to protect myself, and just be " Inncogneeto" and keep my alter ego...

But not for any of the mischievious reasons mentioned in the terms of use...

 

swirt's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/17/2008

Thanks, thanks, and thanks to each of you(s). 

muirford's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I do the BOGO because I can limit the availability.  I don't really understand why someone would take the BOGO anytime (50% discount) but not take the bandb.com gift cards (15% discount).  I wouldn't have nearly the problem with the bandb.com gcs if I could limit their application to weekdays, when I need to increase my business.  If I couldn't limit the BOGOs, I would never sign up for the program.

__________________

Jeanne

There are no rules, just follow your heart. ~ Robin Williams

 

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

That makes perfect sense to me!  I haven't signed up for the BOGO yet but why not?

__________________

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov

 

inncogneeto's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/31/2008

I don't do BOGO's...

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I share personal stuff, which I know I shouldn't.  That is what I AM TRYING TO HIDE.  I forget where I am some times.  Ya'll just make it so comfy here...you innkeepers!

Offline
Joined:
07/23/2008

Yep. I agree... with the comfy part I mean... Smiling

__________________

Sunshine

 

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Hear, hear!  Do you know that this forum is now in my top referrers?  The directory that I just signed up for isn't showing up but this sure is!  Ya never know...it's the world wide web

Offline
Joined:
07/23/2008

point taken. thank you dear.

But how do I take my 'avatar off now? I want to change it to something else? Can't figure it out.

YellowSocks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

high street victorian wrote:

point taken. thank you dear.

But how do I take my 'avatar off now? I want to change it to something else? Can't figure it out.

Some people have an "alter-innkeeper" logon, which they use for posting when they wish to remain relatively anonymous.  I had one at the old place that I used once, maybe.

I choose to be on here as myself, but I recognize that I cannot come on here and rant about a guest.  I figure if I ever get a guest like that (like the nosebleed guy that got emailed around off forum) then I'll recreate my alter-ego.  In the meantime, I have nothing to hide and little to complain about, though I do try to choose my words wisely at times...

=)
Kk.

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

YellowSocks wrote:

high street victorian wrote:

point taken. thank you dear.

But how do I take my 'avatar off now? I want to change it to something else? Can't figure it out.

Some people have an "alter-innkeeper" logon, which they use for posting when they wish to remain relatively anonymous.  I had one at the old place that I used once, maybe.

I choose to be on here as myself, but I recognize that I cannot come on here and rant about a guest.  I figure if I ever get a guest like that (like the nosebleed guy that got emailed around off forum) then I'll recreate my alter-ego.  In the meantime, I have nothing to hide and little to complain about, though I do try to choose my words wisely at times...

=)
Kk.

Wait! Let me answer that again with that above in quotes for effect...
I have everything to hid and alot to complain about!  HA HA Just kidding.

Here is something from today:  Guests last night went to our new beautiful restaurant on the corner and loved it. From there they had their choice of a big name bluegrass artist with a small cover charge and new cd out - at the end of the street and across it, or go to our coffee dessert gallery hangout at the very end of the block, and have dessert and listen to a local band for free. (Donations given to charity in town)

Well don't ya know, they chose the second and told me about an event they are going to tomorrow in town, can they have an early breakfast?   I asked, where it was, as nothing is more than 5 minutes.  They told me.  They said, the man knew you.

Well who was it?  Who recommended and invited them to an event on a Sunday?  Well she said, I will go get the name and directions he gave us.  He said he knew you well.

It was our County Administrator!  The big cheese in charge of all of us and our well being here in this, the largest county in this state (geographically speaking). 

So - I was so pleased!!!!  Why? Because this couple was NOT HERE for college or an event, they were here to stay at this B&B!  Pure and simple here from another state to stay right here in this little 2 horse town.

He spoke to them for a long time and found that out.  Now he knows that this little B&B BRINGS in PEOPLE and REVENUE into this community.  Just doesn't suck off of current stuff and make money.

Sheesh I sound like Kathleen don't I!  Kathleen, can you hear me...I put this timbuk-2 on the map.  See we listen to you Kathleen.  You think we don't. 

I am not taking full credit, but it was nice for him to not be told, but to find this out on his own.  B&B's ARE A VALUABLE GEM IN EVERY TOWN!

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Glad I could help show the way. lol

I have a couple coming Tuesday who has contacted me TWICE asking about live theater and festivals & events in my area. WHAT????? On Tuesday/Wednesday immediately after Labor Day weekend? HUH? I already told her we do have live theater performances from time to time but only on weekends. They will probably turn out to be loely people, but this is a BOGO that I am not feeling comfy with. Hope they come later in the afternoon too. I was able to get an appointment for a perm Tuesday afternoon.

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I got a BOGO request, first one ever. Like everything else, the BOGO's travel when we're full...

__________________

Most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. - Oscar Wilde

 

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Oh come on now..people can't really think if they buy one night they can get another free!!! Especially in peak season!!! What do they think you are? Even Motel 6 doesn't do thatSmiling  I wouldn't even do it in OFF PEAK! GRRRRRRR

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I take BOGO anytime. Weekends is when people usually can travel so I take them any time except WVU home football, holidays, or October. I hope they will like us well enough to tell friends, family, or return themelves.

Yes, people expect to use a BOGO at any time. After all. THIS is when they can travel so of course they expect to use it NOW.

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

catlady wrote:

Oh come on now..people can't really think if they buy one night they can get another free!!! Especially in peak season!!! What do they think you are? Even Motel 6 doesn't do thatSmiling  I wouldn't even do it in OFF PEAK! GRRRRRRR

This was an iloveinns request. Wanting to know if I would honor the BOGO. I told her I hadn't signed up for that feature. She's staying elsewhere.

Is there a way to check which inns are signed up for that? So I can direct future queries to the correct place.

muirford's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

In addition to the list of B&Bs that take the BOGO, on each inn's listing it says whether or not the BOGO is accepted there, and your conditions (mine says accepted Mon-Thurs subject to availability.  So if they found you on ILoveInns, they didn't look very hard at your listing, or hoped you would do the discount for them anyway.

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

muirford wrote:

In addition to the list of B&Bs that take the BOGO, on each inn's listing it says whether or not the BOGO is accepted there, and your conditions (mine says accepted Mon-Thurs subject to availability.  So if they found you on ILoveInns, they didn't look very hard at your listing, or hoped you would do the discount for them anyway.

Thx. I've never actually looked. I know I should know more about this than I do but I RARELY get iloveinns referrals.

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Bree wrote:

catlady wrote:

Oh come on now..people can't really think if they buy one night they can get another free!!! Especially in peak season!!! What do they think you are? Even Motel 6 doesn't do thatSmiling  I wouldn't even do it in OFF PEAK! GRRRRRRR

This was an iloveinns request. Wanting to know if I would honor the BOGO. I told her I hadn't signed up for that feature. She's staying elsewhere.

Is there a way to check which inns are signed up for that? So I can direct future queries to the correct place.

Yes, there is a link on the main page of ili's for those who accept BOGO.  The only one I had so far ended up cancelling due to surgery and forgot or couldn't cancel the large 36 or 48 roses he ordered for their anniversary! So far so good on the BOGO.

Here is the main page

Half way down the page you will see the iloveinns book and how to order, it is just below that.

Search participating B&B's in the Bed and Breakfast and Country Inns Guidebook.

inncogneeto's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/31/2008

They are listed in the book they feature on the website:

Bed & Breakfasts and Country Inns, 19th Ed.

We've had a lot of angry potentials due to not accepting bandb.com gift cards, when we are the only inn in our area who are members of bandb.com...oh, well, if they want to pay the 15%- I'll take 'em!

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

You should be able to go into your account and it will show you the old avatar. You can then upload a new one and then choose it.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.