Time to take those duvets off the beds ? ?

12 replies [Last post]
Offline
Joined:
03/11/2009

Mid Shenandoah Valley Va has had a very mild winter and possibly spring. So I might be taking those duvets off the beds early this year and turning the air on early also. Still 55 at night  and 78 days. I wont be changing over May 1 this year but earlier, how early is the question ?

__________________

Mary in Virginia

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

I'm using a duvet insert inside a duvet cover, over a top sheet, and am thinking of just removing the insert and putting the cover on the bed, which is about like putting 2 top sheets on top of 1 top sheet. I'll see how that goes. If "3 sheets" is too hot, they can toss off the duvet cover and still have 1 top sheet.

I want people comfortable without having to kick up the AC to keep from getting hot.

__________________

All saints can do miracles, but few of them can keep hotel. ~ Mark Twain

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Arkansawyer wrote:

I'm using a duvet insert inside a duvet cover, over a top sheet, and am thinking of just removing the insert and putting the cover on the bed, which is about like putting 2 top sheets on top of 1 top sheet. I'll see how that goes. If "3 sheets" is too hot, they can toss off the duvet cover and still have 1 top sheet.

I want people comfortable without having to kick up the AC to keep from getting hot.

People prefer it cooler at night. Have the preprogrammed thermostat set to drop down at night. Incrementally of course.

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Proud Texan's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

We took the down comforters/duvets off the beds and replaced them with a seasonal coverlet.   I also removed the portable radiators from the rooms because it had become warm enough to sleep with the windows open (very nice when you're in nature).   

Fast forward,   huge front moves through (bringing over 5 inches of rain...our lower 36 was literally underwater!)  the temperature drops and back go the radiators.

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Sheesh....we've been dealing with snow, wind storms and rain. I'm ready for some nice weather please in the Pacific Northwest!

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

High here today was 83. Within a 20 minute drive we hit 66 degrees and back up into the 80's. Difference between right on the coast and behind a small hill that blocked the breeze from the water.

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Silverspoon's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/16/2011

 Even here in Coastal New Elngland it's time to take the fleece sheets and down duvet off the beds.  We have had an amazing spring with temps in the 60's during the day and 40-50 at night.  I'll be switching bedding on our bed today and after the weekend crowd leaves next weekend I'll lighten up on the guest bedding, switching to cotton sheets and light duvet.

__________________

Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade.
Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Never even put them on this year.

Offline
Joined:
04/03/2011

We put them on but we never really got cold temps this winter so could have left them off all winter. 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Mtatoc wrote:

We put them on but we never really got cold temps this winter so could have left them off all winter. 

My whole goal in winter it to make the bed warm enough that they won't heat the whole place just to be comfortable in bed. My goal in summer is to make them comfortable at night without using as much air conditioning.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Arkansawyer wrote:

My whole goal in winter it to make the bed warm enough that they won't heat the whole place just to be comfortable in bed. My goal in summer is to make them comfortable at night without using as much air conditioning.

Ditto.

muirford's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

 I never put the down duvets on this year!  Just kept the cotton quilts.  The AC has already been on - when it hit 83 outside, it kicked in.  I have to monitor it now to make sure that the AC doesn't make the heat come on, and vice versa.

__________________

Jeanne

There are no rules, just follow your heart. ~ Robin Williams

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Judging from my own bed, it's time! I've been kicking the thing off in the night for the last week. Duvet time is over here in Arkansas, at least until blackberry winter!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.