Nooooooooooooooo!

20 replies [Last post]
Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

My one end of the week tradition that I look forward to is the Sunday puzzle page in the newspaper. There is a guest sitting in the dining room, pen in hand, doing MY puzzle page.

I'm going to have to call around to see if anyone is willing to give up that section of the paper.

__________________

Most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. - Oscar Wilde

 

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I used to do 2 or 3 crossword puzzles a day in my former life. I still enjoy doing them, but I would get 2 papers on the days guests were here if I had time to do them these days.

trishany's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

haahaha!!!  I would kill for the crossword puzzle (yeah, we have a life). 

We had that happen.  It was the first time and the last time.  I now hide the paper. 

Proud Texan's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Buy yourself a cross-word book at the local drugstore and hide it.

Cathy's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/18/2008

Our local papers are all in Spanish .. we are trying to get the one and only English version delivered as it is not sold on the streets or in the news stands.

Spanish is not something  most of our guests want or can read.  Smiling

We get our news online.

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I usually grab this section right away and stash it. Not many guests care about the 'gardening' section of the paper. Today, tho, it looked like Starbucks at breakfast...everyone had a piece of the paper! No joke, if they weren't reading books, the guests all had the paper. And, lets talk about '3 across' in the puzzle...one guest said, 'Is this today's paper?' and took the whole paper away with her. Luckily, other guests went right after her and took the sections they wanted.

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Huh??? I don't get this.  We leave the paper(s) out for our guests to look at.  Especially business guests.  If they do the crossword or Sudoku, it doesn't matter to me.  I rarely have time to get to the paper anyway.  I'll read the news online in the evening usually. 

__________________

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov

 

YellowSocks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Samster wrote:
Huh??? I don't get this.  We leave the paper(s) out for our guests to look at.  Especially business guests.  If they do the crossword or Sudoku, it doesn't matter to me.  I rarely have time to get to the paper anyway.  I'll read the news online in the evening usually. 

You don't get it because you don't love puzzles the way others do.  It's OK... we're all different.  But I have heard things about people addicted to the Sunday crossword puzzle... don't get between them and their fix!

=)
Kk.

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

YellowSocks wrote:

Samster wrote:
Huh??? I don't get this.  We leave the paper(s) out for our guests to look at.  Especially business guests.  If they do the crossword or Sudoku, it doesn't matter to me.  I rarely have time to get to the paper anyway.  I'll read the news online in the evening usually. 

You don't get it because you don't love puzzles the way others do.  It's OK... we're all different.  But I have heard things about people addicted to the Sunday crossword puzzle... don't get between them and their fix!

=)
Kk.

I get the NYT Sunday puzzle, another crossword puzzle, Sudoku, the Jumble, a word search and a Cryptoquip on this one page. I don't do the puzzle all week, just the Sunday puzzle page. I have 3 crossword puzzle books going, 3 Sudoku books and a guest sends me the NYT Sunday puzzle page. (I haven't told her it's in my paper a week later.)

It's a word addiction that goes back (as far as I know) to my grandmother and extends forward to my grandson. I wouldn't kill for the puzzle page, but it's obvious I get grumpy about it!

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Wrong!  I used to do the crossword puzzle every single day with my morning coffee. 

YellowSocks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I like Sudoku.  Sometimes I'll do a crossword.  When I had a desk job and a daily paper at work, I did them all the time.  But I've never been addicted to them like others get...  (Like the guy in Oliver's Travels gets!)

=)
Kk.

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

I guess my point was that now the guests come first Smiling  It's probably part of my "caregiver" personality.  It wouldn't matter to me as there's always too much to do to get to the crossword these days anyway.  When there are guests in the house, I'm on the go from morning to bedtime Eye-wink

I also should have said that I got hooked on the crossword after we moved here when I had time to really sit and do it over coffee early in the morning .  Never had time in my high pressure corporate job since I was always on the go.   Doing the crossword was something that I started doing here...just like I stopped wearing a wristwatch. 

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Samster wrote:

I guess my point was that now the guests come first Smiling  It's probably part of my "caregiver" personality.  It wouldn't matter to me as there's always too much to do to get to the crossword these days anyway.  When there are guests in the house, I'm on the go from morning to bedtime Eye-wink

I also should have said that I got hooked on the crossword after we moved here when I had time to really sit and do it over coffee early in the morning .  Never had time in my high pressure corporate job since I was always on the go.   Doing the crossword was something that I started doing here...just like I stopped wearing a wristwatch. 

Nope, sorry, I come first when it comes to certain things. The puzzle page and my chocolate milk the minute the clock ticks over to 9:30 and breakfast is OVER as far as I am concerned. Unless you just sat down to eat at 9:30, I am gone from the dining room.

I missed that caregiver gene when it was handed out.

I still try to keep Sunday afternoon as 'my' time. I do my puzzles, I take my nap, I sit in the sun (or shade). It's something that goes back to my childhood. We always did this on Sunday afternoon...read 2 newspapers, do the puzzles, eat rolls from the deli & take naps.

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Sunday afternoon is the time my dh & I spend together.  After we're done with guest rooms, we may go catch a movie or walk downtown for a coffee, or something like that.  We made it our official date time when we opened the B&B because Sunday check-ins are rare here.  Too much going on during the rest of the week usually to make time for us, unless we plan it pretty well.  I guess it's because he has another job & is gone during the week and then pitches in on the weekend to help me.  We're not together 24/7 in the business so we like our couple time.   

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

(Like the guy in Oliver's Travels gets!)

Oliver is looking for the man who created the crossword puzzles - Aristotle wasn't it?

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

what's the paper? i've got one ... no one has touched it.

if i was a guest, and the paper was set out in the common area ... i would assume it's okay to do the puzzle. 

__________________

Wear cute PJ’s to bed; you never know who you may meet in your dreams.

 

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

seashanty wrote:

what's the paper? i've got one ... no one has touched it.

if i was a guest, and the paper was set out in the common area ... i would assume it's okay to do the puzzle. 

Because I guard this section of the paper (when I can beat the guests to it) I would feel very guilty doing the puzzle in someone else's paper! I got a copy of it, so I'm ok for today! I'll be quicker on the draw next weekend!

Cathy's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/18/2008

How cheeky of your guest.  You would think they would have asked if you minded ... can you photo copy the crossword before the guests get their sticky fingers on the crossword (next time as they already ruined this one).

Stand over their shoulder and "help" them out ... 3 across is ... inconsiderate! Eye-wink

Redbirds's picture
Offline
Joined:
07/26/2008

Bree:

I'm with you!  Before DW and I started our B&B, working the Sunday crossword on the front porch with a cup of coffee and a cool breeze was a great treat.

Right now, I've finished clearing the table and the guests are chatting.  One has the paper, and I hope she doesn't pull out the pen.

Of course, I could go out and get another paper.  I almost picked up two copies this morning anyway.

 

muirford's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Is there an online version of the puzzle you can print out?  DH does this with the NY Times - we have a subscription mostly so he can do the puzzles.

Lately it seems we have more guests who do the sudoko, which has no appeal for me.  But our daily is the Washington Post and we don't do its crossword.

__________________

Jeanne

There are no rules, just follow your heart. ~ Robin Williams

 

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Hey you....give me that paper back!!!!! Who do you think you are doing MY puzzle????

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.