When do you use the fine china vs good everyday dishes (porcelain or stoneware/earthenware)

28 replies [Last post]
Weaver's picture
Offline
Joined:
01/24/2012
Fine china every day
22% (4 votes)
Fine china and crystal every day
6% (1 vote)
Fine china and inexpensive but nice glassware every day
17% (3 votes)
Fine china w/wo crystal only on the weekends
0% (0 votes)
Depends on my mood or the dish
6% (1 vote)
Depends on the # of guests and their style
0% (0 votes)
I don't use china
50% (9 votes)
Total votes: 18
Skamokawa's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/24/2008

Moving from the antique Mason Blue Vista that cannot go in the dishwasher to Churchill Blue Willow.  The Blue Willow is made in England, has the same blue/white look and can go in the dishwasher.  I still use sterling cutlery though, and hand wash that.  I think of changing, but so enjoy using it, and the silver is a touch that you will find in few hotels.  I use depression glass goblets for orange juice at breakfast or wine at dinner.  It is old but nearly indestuctible.  Alas, it cannot go in the dishwasher either (or it will cloud)

__________________

Twin Gables Inn
On the Lower Columbia Water Trail

 

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Skamokawa wrote:

Moving from the antique Mason Blue Vista that cannot go in the dishwasher to Churchill Blue Willow.  The Blue Willow is made in England, has the same blue/white look and can go in the dishwasher.  I still use sterling cutlery though, and hand wash that.  I think of changing, but so enjoy using it, and the silver is a touch that you will find in few hotels.  I use depression glass goblets for orange juice at breakfast or wine at dinner.  It is old but nearly indestuctable.  Alas, it cannot go in the dishwasher either (or it will cloud)

I understand exactly whre you are with that. I always thought if DH died I would call Se ars to order a dishwasher (after verifying he was dead of course) and then call the meat wagon. In 2007 he had a 6-way bypass and was not here for 7 weeks - perfect time to do my plan and he did not even have to die first! Nope! I thought about it - Steubenville china cannot go in the dushwasher. The Fostoria cannot go in the dishwasher. The silver cannot go in the dishwasher. Why buy a dishwasher - so I did not. DH is back to being the dishwasher - another entry in his pro column!

Ah yes, tonight pudding has been ordered........

Bommelhoeve's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/14/2009

That Swedish Family owned, Norwegian headquartered, Dutch corporation with the Swedish product names made in China, is where I got my drinking glasses for the rooms also. This used to be a hotel/restaurant, we have plates and dinerware all over. We use one set for breakfast and the other 3 for the occasional diner and events.

__________________

Innkeeper
Bommelhoeve Inn

 

Offline
Joined:
06/24/2008

We use nice white on white patterned dishes etc.  I can feel comfortable serving knowing if one breaks it is not going to mess up a set and it is not going to make me cry! 

If you use china/crystal choose one that is open stock and not something handed down to you with family/sentimental value.

Also choose a place setting that works with the overall feeling of your place. 

Weaver's picture
Offline
Joined:
01/24/2012

copperhead wrote:

We use nice white on white patterned dishes etc.  I can feel comfortable serving knowing if one breaks it is not going to mess up a set and it is not going to make me cry! 

If you use china/crystal choose one that is open stock and not something handed down to you with family/sentimental value.

Also choose a place setting that works with the overall feeling of your place. 

Oh NO family stuff stays out of the inn! I refuse to take a chance with grandmother's and great grandmother's fine china, it will go to my girls.  Same goes for the sterling and the crystal.

 

I fell in love with some china that was being discontinued, so that went in the delete column, only open stock so as cups get handles broken or plates get chipped they can be easily replaced for several years to come.

 

Silverspoon's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/16/2011

 Although I have lots of gold rimmed fine china, I would not use it for B+B guests.  They get an inexpensive clear "cut glass" plate and coffee mug. I find that the clear glass gives me lots of leeway with the fabric I choose for the table cloth and allows me to use patterned table mats as well.  I use "cut glass" glasses for juice and silverplate for the silverware.  Our dining room is formal and these settings go well without being overdone or overshadowing the lovely presentation of food on the plate.

And most important of all, they all go in the microwave and dishwasher.  If they break I don't even blink.  

__________________

Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade.
Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)

 

Weaver's picture
Offline
Joined:
01/24/2012

I have a beautiful set of Waterford wine, water and champange glasses.  Along with a family heirloom set (service for 12) of sterling, those will NOT be used as I know if a guest or me the dishwasher can break it, send it down the garbage disposal or anything else bad it will happen.  Family things that will go to my DDs will stay just that family.

I am trying to choose patterns that are semi-formal, durable, and mix and match.  Formal good china but relaxed and fun.

 

Weaver's picture
Offline
Joined:
01/24/2012

Fine china = good bone china, probably dishwasher safe, not microwave safe in most cases.  Good formal dinnerware, the stuff mom only got out on the holidays.

I used to be a shoe girl, until I broke my ankle so bad shoes were no longer my friend for almost 14 years, I switched to china as my addiction of choice.

I love juxtaposition, rustic decor place with Lenox or Mikasa fine bone china and silver plated flatware to go along with it.  Something of a surprise for the guests.

I am leaning toward the inexpensive glassware, since I KNOW how bad I am.  I have a complete set of good semi-formal dishes that are now discontinued from Churchill that are still a complete set not a chip on them in over 25 years.  The glassware.....not so lucky.  I put glassware on my birthday/mother's day/Hannukah list every year.  The kids know to buy me glassware.  I too like the Dutch Co with Swedish name where everything in made in china, it suits my breakage budget just fine.

Nothing over the top - not wedding china - but good Sunday guests coming to dinner china.

Edited to add pictures:  something like this...

 Teal 5 Piece Place Setting

Or

40 Piece Dinnerware Set

 both porcelain not bone but still formal-ish china

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

We use fine china with gold on it, so no microwaves. The stemware is cheap, but with our logo engraved. Way too much breakage to use fine crystal.

Weaver's picture
Offline
Joined:
01/24/2012

Breakfast Diva wrote:

We use fine china with gold on it, so no microwaves. The stemware is cheap, but with our logo engraved. Way too much breakage to use fine crystal.

Where do you get the engraving done?  Jewelry shop or a place like Thing s R emem bered?

I was thinking of going with the cheap stemware and egraving route but havent found the right combo yet?

 

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

For years I've had someone local, but she stopped doing it. I think I'm going to order from discountmugs.com   I got my metal water bottles from them and they did the logo nicely. Quick turn around also.

Weaver's picture
Offline
Joined:
01/24/2012

Thanks Diva!  going to that site right now.

 

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

we use china every day but i wouldn't say it was fine china. I don't use expensive glasses either on the table or in the rooms as its an accident waiting to happen.

__________________

Don't mess with me today or I will kill you!!!!

 

Generic's picture
Online
Joined:
02/24/2011

We use the nice stuff each day, but the glasses... those are from the dollar store. The plates are safe... the glasses... break all the time.

__________________

Permission to quote in whole or in part, other than usage on this forum, is entirely forbidden.

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

My glasses plainly show the name of that Dutch-owned, Swedish-named, Chinese-made store you talk about. A dozen for $3.50. Because our dishwasher/water/detergent destroys glassware pretty quickly, I don't mind spending about $12 every year for glasses!

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Generic's picture
Online
Joined:
02/24/2011

Do you pre-rinse? Some dishwasher soaps are very caustic and cause pitting in glasses if there isn't enough food to disolve.

I buy glassware all over. That Norwegian headquartered, Dutch corporation with the Swedish product names made in China is where I got my drinking glasses for the rooms. We used dollar-store stemmed for breakfast and slightly different ones in the rooms. And a few stemless martini glasses for breakfast dishes. And a few Bormioli Rocco that I buy at the restaurant supply store. I love these, because not only do you get weird shapes, but you can also buy them by the number of centilitres they hold, so you can really work on portion control.

 

Weaver's picture
Offline
Joined:
01/24/2012

I love the stemless martini glasses that sit inside a small balloon glass that you can fill with ice, what a great way to serve fruit.  I did that once for a luncheon I planned, used tropical fruit with a "margarita" light sweet and sour dressing. 

I just know the glassware will kill me!

DSC company will be my new bestest friend, there is one less than an hour from the new place!!! whoo hoo, wonder if I can get frequent shopper points like I do at the grocery store?

Generic's picture
Online
Joined:
02/24/2011

Weaver wrote:

I love the stemless martini glasses that sit inside a small balloon glass that you can fill with ice, what a great way to serve fruit.  I did that once for a luncheon I planned, used tropical fruit with a "margarita" light sweet and sour dressing. 

I just know the glassware will kill me!

DSC company will be my new bestest friend, there is one less than an hour from the new place!!! whoo hoo, wonder if I can get frequent shopper points like I do at the grocery store?

That Dutch Company with the Danish headquarters, and fancy Swedish names on their Chinese goods sells Eldeberry or Lingonberry simple syrup if their fööd department that is quite nice on fruit... and hardly anyone can place the flavour, but it adds a nice touch Smiling They used to have Jelly Rats, but seem to have discontinued those.

What's DSC company?

Weaver's picture
Offline
Joined:
01/24/2012

Eric Arthur Blair wrote:

Weaver wrote:

I love the stemless martini glasses that sit inside a small balloon glass that you can fill with ice, what a great way to serve fruit.  I did that once for a luncheon I planned, used tropical fruit with a "margarita" light sweet and sour dressing. 

I just know the glassware will kill me!

DSC company will be my new bestest friend, there is one less than an hour from the new place!!! whoo hoo, wonder if I can get frequent shopper points like I do at the grocery store?

That Dutch Company with the Danish headquarters, and fancy Swedish names on their Chinese goods sells Eldeberry or Lingonberry simple syrup if their fööd department that is quite nice on fruit... and hardly anyone can place the flavour, but it adds a nice touch Smiling They used to have Jelly Rats, but seem to have discontinued those.

What's DSC company?

I love Lingonberry.

DSC = Dutch Co, Swedish Name - Sell China made stuff

 

Generic's picture
Online
Joined:
02/24/2011

No frequent shopper points, but you do get a plastic tasting hot dog for $1. Their other food specials include 99c breakfast, 10 swedish "meat" balls for a few bucks or an the cinnamon bun for $1.25 with coffee.

I spend my time there thinking up new ways to do things. Like the Ribba picture shelf... two on the wall, rubber strip with cork on it between them, set properly on the wall, they hold the tips of shoes and let you keep a nice clean row of shoes off the floor. Sort of like this...

I use their magnetic knife strip to keep containers of spices on the wall. So all my spices are marked in containers like this and I don't use a drawer for them. 

That's the thing about the stuff they make, you just have to think of different ways to use them. There's an entire website dedicated to it.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

That is a cool shoe holder! I'm trying to think where I could put it. (We store our shoes under our antique theater seats.) It would go really well in the closet instead of the bushel basket I have there now for off season shoes.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I have 2 of those magnetic knife strips above my stove with 6 of those containers on each strip. I have not filled all yet, but it is extreemly handy and does eliminate some of the clutter.

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

I know! they were going to open a TESCO here which is like walmart sells everything but does excellent points on everything you buy - ie the amount of shopping we do we could probably get a free holiday however they have just put it off for 3 years cos of the recession I am gutted!!!!!

I would say however get a ton of trade discount cards from anywhere that will offer them ie I have from the tile shop, hardwear shop, stationary shop and linen shop saves me 50% on tile adhesive alone!

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Define fine china.

Vintage china. Vintage crystal or stemware.

I use what I like, what I enjoy, I don't like over the top place settings, they make me uncomfortable. (My apologies to anyone who does over the top). I didn't say NICE place settings, but over the top settings. The atmosphere better back it up, like an evening gala or ball.

Howz this for a definition: None of it can go in a microwave. 

 

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I use what I like, what I enjoy,

Exactly. What I have & use is the best I have  - none is bone china. One set is from Steubenville Pottery that I bought on eBay because it was Steubenville. I use it the lease - probably because I have limited place settings and the cups are so small! I do not cry over broken dishes or goblets.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I do not have crystal but I DO have Fostoria goblets and I use all of it when we have guests. I now have 4 sets of dishes and depending on how many we have, I choose the china or stoneware. Not all sets are complete. Just say I use the best i have for my guests.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

I have locally made stoneware dishes we use everyday. I think fine china with the 'cowboy' motif you have would be sharp. Lots of places we looked at buying had 3-4 different sets of china they swapped out everyday.

I like the mix n match look, too.

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

 We used Fiestaware at our place. I have tons of it and used it and mixed and matched. Nice glassware but not real crystal. 

 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.