CSI hotel room: Best Western goes high-tech to clean

13 replies [Last post]
Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

 

CSI hotel room: Best Western goes high-tech to clean

 

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

My LED blacklight flashlights arrived today. They do work, at least I can see some stuff with them that I can't easily see under regular lighting, and I think they will be of value in cleaning bathrooms. You have to be able to get the room dark to use them, so they may not be that useful in a bedroom that doesn't have black out curtains.

They make white towels and clothing and my teeth glow bright blue like any blacklight. I found some of what must be toothpaste spatter around the bathroom lavatory, stuff that disappeared when I scratched it with my fingernail. So it's showing something, and that something disappears when I clean better, so I see some value here for the $15.75 cost of the things (with free shipping with Amazon Prime).

__________________

All saints can do miracles, but few of them can keep hotel. ~ Mark Twain

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Materials That Glow Under Black/Ultraviolet Light

Black Light LED flashlight for hotel room inspection with pretty good reviews and just $15.75 on Amazon Prime

Proud Texan's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

I know that the UV light will disinfect a surface,  but does biological matter actually luminesce under the light?

Most of the time sheets appear "clean" when removed, but we occasionally come across the "I-don't-want-to-know-what-this-is" substance.   What we have a problem with, mostly, are greasy stains and acne medicine that bleaches out our colored pillow cases.

Flower's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/19/2011

NO but under black light it sure will so will oil marks from make up. For those darn bleach acne creams I cringe!!! grrrrr under my breath I say more!!!! I supply black or dark face cloth for the women and say this is for removing your creams and make up. WE also have make up removal pads for your use.

__________________

Flower

 

Proud Texan's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Flower wrote:

NO but under black light it sure will so will oil marks from make up.

A black light is a UV light.  i.e., Ultra Violet

OnTheShore's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/28/2011

Proud Texan wrote:

Flower wrote:

NO but under black light it sure will so will oil marks from make up.

A black light is a UV light.  i.e., Ultra Violet

Yes, but the intensity of the light, the length of time of exposure, and probably what particular frequency within the UV spectrum, all play a role. I don't think a quick pass with the typical "black light" will be all that effective in disinfecting a surface.

On the other hand, our local sewage treatment plant uses UV lights (not black lights) to disinfect the treated waste water before discharging it to the river, rather than using chlorine or ozone. Also, backpackers can get a battery-powered UV light (the SteriPen) to disinfect drinking water the pick up from streams or lakes, rather than having to pump the water through a micro-filter or dope it with iodine tablets (no idea how effective this device is).

__________________

"where even time relaxes...."

 

Proud Texan's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Harborfields wrote:

Proud Texan wrote:

Flower wrote:

NO but under black light it sure will so will oil marks from make up.

A black light is a UV light.  i.e., Ultra Violet

Yes, but the intensity of the light, the length of time of exposure, and probably what particular frequency within the UV spectrum, all play a role. I don't think a quick pass with the typical "black light" will be all that effective in disinfecting a surface.

On the other hand, our local sewage treatment plant uses UV lights (not black lights) to disinfect the treated waste water before discharging it to the river, rather than using chlorine or ozone. Also, backpackers can get a battery-powered UV light (the SteriPen) to disinfect drinking water the pick up from streams or lakes, rather than having to pump the water through a micro-filter or dope it with iodine tablets (no idea how effective this device is).

 My comment was merely to clarify that a blacklight was a form of Ultra Violet light and not meant to be a wikipedia article extrapolating all the varied forms of UV within the electromagnetic spectrum.   I honestly don't care that much.

Flower's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/19/2011

We have been doing this for a year now. Mainly our beds. Bought mine wand in costco. It came with a smaller one.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Flower wrote:

We have been doing this for a year now. Mainly our beds. Bought mine wand in costco. It came with a smaller one.

Do TELL! We would love to hear the results.

Is it true remote controls and light switches have the most bacteria?

Flower's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/19/2011

That is what they say. But I do not take chances. Especailly with my beds and pillows. I feel a little of caution goes a long way. But any black light will show you what you miss for sure. Especailly, like after you clean your rugs shine a black light on it .It will show you what has been missed .

But this is a blue light on the scanner(ultra violet ray) You pass it over the mattress in sections. Till you have compeleted the whole  area of the mattress. Then I pass the vacumm over the mattress to get all the dead skin and particles out.I have a very strong vaccum and you would be surprised at how much comes out. I do the bed railings I also do the radios and clocks beside the beds with the wand. They say that is where bed bugs love to go. I guess it maybe because of the heat the radios holds? But I love my wand . It doesnot hurt to use the wand on most things.

Offline
Joined:
01/19/2012

Flower wrote:

We have been doing this for a year now. Mainly our beds. Bought mine wand in costco. It came with a smaller one.

Are the unseen germs as bad as one might think?

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

I think this is a pretty good point:

"...the black lights have changed the way housekeepers clean, because they highlight bacteria in places that may not otherwise be cleaned, says owner Rich Schnakenberg. The corner of a bathroom vanity, for instance, may now get extra attention."

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

The only way something like that is bringing them more guests or longer stays is because they are saying they are doing it. How long before the housekeeper just pretends to do it because it is invisible anyway and there are 12 more rooms to clean? Unless the GUEST is traveling with the equipment no one will ever know.

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.