How is your season going?

31 replies [Last post]
Hillbilly's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/22/2011

Just wandering how your season is going? I'm in Branson and it has been really busy! Almost 95% occupancy for the month of June. Spring started slow. Next month looks a little slower so far. Of course that said, people tend to be waiting last min to book. I was just wanting to know if it was busy all over! It's been 67 straight days of breakfast. I'm starting to get tired!

__________________

Hillbilly

 

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

(sorry ice)   

__________________

Wear cute PJ’s to bed; you never know who you may meet in your dreams.

 

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Ice, I am sorry about your Mom. Lost mine in 1995 and Daddy in 1996 and we are still talking about them (just today in fact).

Re biz - had the first for June Sunday (still getting calls from gas workers but no thanks) and took a day today to satisfy DH with a Road Trip!. Half an hour from home got a call for a room tonight. told them I was half an hour from home. Go have dinner. They are upstairs now.

Re the big green machine - my Daddy had a put-put. Had to turn the flywheel to start it. We cut, raked, and baled many a hayfield, plowed, disced, and harrowed corn fields and gardens, and pulled stumps in addition to Mom driving the tractor while Daddy used the scoop to dig out the foundation of the house they built - while she was preggers with my youngest brother.

Ice
Offline
Joined:
02/22/2010

Thanks for the love.  

__________________

"Do not put off until tomorrow what can be put off till day-after-tomorrow just as well." Mark Twain

 

Highlands John's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/16/2010

Bob wrote:

Just wandering how your season is going? I'm in Branson and it has been really busy! Almost 95% occupancy for the month of June. Spring started slow. Next month looks a little slower so far. Of course that said, people tend to be waiting last min to book. I was just wanting to know if it was busy all over! It's been 67 straight days of breakfast. I'm starting to get tired!

Almost identical here. Slow start, manic June, 90%. May was 80% which is 3rd best ever.

Put our prices up this year by £6 a room, began to panic with the slow start, doesn't seem to be affecting occ rates.

__________________

If you wanted hotel facilities you should have booked a hotel and paid hotel prices!!!

 

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

Our occupancy is down because of the local strike. And this was going to be the first summer that I was going to hire someone to help me in the summer. No need.

I'm doing less discounting and the reservations are coming in very last minute.

__________________

Permission to quote in whole or in part, other than usage on this forum, is entirely forbidden.

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Eric Arthur Blair wrote:

Our occupancy is down because of the local strike. And this was going to be the first summer that I was going to hire someone to help me in the summer. No need.

I'm doing less discounting and the reservations are coming in very last minute.

Who is striking? I missed this on the news...

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

College and University students. Tuition is to go up from $2,168 a year to $3,793 over 5 years.... or $3,946 over 7 and then indexed at 2.1%. Yup, we are the laughing stock of the world.

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

so many of our graduates are out of work or doing jobs like my friend John _ good degree from a good university working in a hardwear store which he could have left work at 16 and done. Am doubly cross for him as he was the first in his family to go and they scrimped and he scrimped to go and this is what he has to show for it!

They are putting tuitian fees up here and basically applicants have dropped like a stone they won't risk the amount of debt it will cost and just go work in walmart.

__________________

Don't mess with me today or I will kill you!!!!

 

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

There has been such a push for college degrees and that everyone must go to college, that it is now like a high school diploma - which at one time was a HUGE achievement for a family to have a high school graduate.

Education standards have been lowered so much that I question if a HS today is worth as much as the 8th grade diploma I got. There is such a need for tradesmen today - but no one wants to get their hands dirty!

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

And that is exactly why tradesman are being paid so much. It can take days to get a plumber today. It's good work and well paid. You should see what soldering pays!

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Eric Arthur Blair wrote:

And that is exactly why tradesman are being paid so much. It can take days to get a plumber today. It's good work and well paid. You should see what soldering pays!

One of the nice things about living in a small town is that I can leave a message at the plumber tonight (or Sunday) and get the problem fixed almost first thing in the morning. He gives me priority (I make sure he knows when it is guest part problem or my part of the house) for guest side problems - he understands business too. Does not mean the bill is any less - choke - but the problem is fixed.

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

So many are going to university and forgetting that they could be plumbers, electricians, cabinet makers, carpenters, etc. All that pay good wages. Our government spends lots of money to get people to fill those jobs as well.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Holy cow. I could have sent 86 Canadians to college with what I paid for 3 kids to go to Uni here.

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

Madeleine wrote:

Holy cow. I could have sent 86 Canadians to college with what I paid for 3 kids to go to Uni here.

That's the tuition for locals, you have to be a resident of the province for that rate. And they are still complaining about it. They want us to pick up the bill for them.

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Madeleine wrote:

Holy cow. I could have sent 86 Canadians to college with what I paid for 3 kids to go to Uni here.

Not all Canadians. Quebecers, yes. But not the rest of us. I should have moved to Montreal in highschool.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

 Bob I am so happy for you after the tornado there and everything this is great news!

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Hugs to Ice! We love ya and hope each day is brighter than the last.

I wrote a blog on this SW Antique Tractor Event  this weekend on Father's day and as I typed it I got teary eyed...okay, big green tractors tear me up...no really, my Dad, his sister and nephew were at this very event when we got the call Grandpa died. They had been caring for him and the minute they flew from San Fran out here he died.  I had to track them down and find them to tell them.  The staff (volunteers) tossed me in a golf cart and zipped me all over the crowds of people to find Dad to tell him, they were unbelievably caring, yeah a tractor event.  Who knew...

PS Dad is in recovery right this minute after a heart cath. He is doing fine.

Offline
Joined:
06/24/2008

Joey Bloggs wrote:

Hugs to Ice! We love ya and hope each day is brighter than the last.

I wrote a blog on this SW Antique Tractor Event  this weekend on Father's day and as I typed it I got teary eyed...okay, big green tractors tear me up...no really, my Dad, his sister and nephew were at this very event when we got the call Grandpa died. They had been caring for him and the minute they flew from San Fran out here he died.  I had to track them down and find them to tell them.  The staff (volunteers) tossed me in a golf cart and zipped me all over the crowds of people to find Dad to tell him, they were unbelievably caring, yeah a tractor event.  Who knew...

PS Dad is in recovery right this minute after a heart cath. He is doing fine.

{{{hugs}}} to you Ice, it is not easy.  It has been over 4 years and I still get the urge to pick up the phone and call. 

JB - so glad your dad is doing well!!!

Weaver's picture
Offline
Joined:
01/24/2012

Green tractor people are the best tractor people.

Ice
Offline
Joined:
02/22/2010

Weaver wrote:

Green tractor people are the best tractor people.

We have one! 

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Weaver wrote:

Green tractor people are the best tractor people.

My man.....he sure loves his green toy!

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Aha, are we supposed to post pix of our guys with their green toys? Here's a happy/sad story- we had a guest who used to come every year for at least 7-10 days. He died a few years ago but he left his brand new, very posh JD tractor to DH. Every time he's out there tooling around he thinks of our guest. (DH has the keys to it on a keyring with a little JD tractor. Help me.

Weaver's picture
Offline
Joined:
01/24/2012

Madeleine wrote:

Aha, are we supposed to post pix of our guys with their green toys? Here's a happy/sad story- we had a guest who used to come every year for at least 7-10 days. He died a few years ago but he left his brand new, very posh JD tractor to DH. Every time he's out there tooling around he thinks of our guest. (DH has the keys to it on a keyring with a little JD tractor. Help me.

Crying, sad

Like they say nothing runs like a ...

I lost mine when my ex left, he couldn't part with it until the payment came due, apparently he forgot he wouldn't need it in his "posh, downtown, everyone is on food stamps or drugs" apartment.  It's all good the nice farmers across the street brought me a nice one to use, and I don't have to make payments on it!

You never know who you will touch and how, I bet that is one of the nicest and sadest things a guest living or dead has ever left you.  Pays great tribute to you two as innkeepers.

 

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

That's a wonderful/sad story. It's times like that when we realize how we sometimes impact people's lives. It's a great compliment to the two of you.

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

So sorry Ice, I lost mine 2 years ago. It gets better, but never goes away.

Our June has been the best on record! July & Aug still is looking a bit light at this point. They're usually our best months, but you just never know in this economy. We're getting ripped off with gas prices here in the west. No reason for it. We're at $4.29 at the moment.

Weaver's picture
Offline
Joined:
01/24/2012

It is tough to stay on track, when I lost my dad I slept on the couch for almost a month, he has been gone 14 years this past May, and I miss him each and every day.  He was one of my best friends.  Mom still here at almost 92.  I think she will out live us all.

So sorry for your loss.  Not much consolation but work is a great cure, throw yourself into it, and make her proud, she is up there watching over you, now as she did before. Big hugs and hang in there.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Not too bad. We're busy and the reservations are streaming in for the rest of the season.

Ice
Offline
Joined:
02/22/2010

Could be better but then I'm slacking this year.  Just hard to get back into the swing of things since my Mom died.    Her house has sold so that helps.

Silverspoon's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/16/2011

So sorry Ice.  Hopefully you will carry memories of all the good times forward and they will give you comfort.

  Our mall B+B just keeps chugging along...we are a bit ahead for Jan-May but we have more vacancy than usual for our summer months.  I expect that, once the heat arrives folks will just have to come spend some time by the sea!  Keeping my fingers crossed. 

__________________

Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade.
Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)

 

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Condolences on the loss of your mother.  After 9 years, I miss my mom every day....

(((((((hugs to you)))))))

__________________

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Sorry to hear about your mom. Big hug.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.