Gluten free recipes trying ... and sharing

12 replies [Last post]
seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

i added a gluten free breakfast biscuit sort of thing today to the recipe section... having made them for my sister who has celiac disease (they think).    anyway, changing her diet is helping with the pain she's been suffering so that's a good sign.  but she is craving bread, rolls, etc. so i said, do you want me to try making some of these recipes?  they don't require special kinds of flour, etc, which i don't have!  she's on board. 

the oopsie rolls were pretty good!  a little egg-y, but we ate them with eggs.  little bacon and egg sandwhiches.  sooo ...

tomorrow i am going to try making the faux pancakes to see how she likes them.  and how the family likes them. 

these recipes contain cheese, so they don't work for those who can't have dairy.

 

__________________

Wear cute PJ’s to bed; you never know who you may meet in your dreams.

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

 Just went to dominos website and on the right side it said NOW GLUTEN FREE PIZZA!

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

Yes, it's fine for those who are GF, but not for Celiacs. They have a warning about that. eatocracy.cnn.com/2012/05/14/is-dominos-new-gluten-free-pizza-suitable-for-sensitive-eaters/

__________________

Permission to quote in whole or in part, other than usage on this forum, is entirely forbidden.

 

Silverspoon's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/16/2011

 Made Bob R ed Mi ll pancakes with his pancake, gluten free, mix for my GF guest this week and she loved them.  No special ingredients, just add add, milk and oil.  (or substitute soy milk for the vegans)   

__________________

Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade.
Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

You can sub a 1/4 c banana for the egg and make it vegan.

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Kay Nein's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/13/2012

 I'm so glad you said that!  We had a vegan this morning and she said she would be fine with juice, fruit and granola.  So, that's what we gave her.  But I would have loved to have done pancakes or waffles for her. Now I know!  Thank you 

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Or 2 tablespoons of water = 1 egg and unsweetented applesauce = measure for measure for butter, oil, shortening, etc

Highlands John's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/16/2010

Pancakes, bacon & maple syrup is always popular, making the pancakes with rice flour.

They have a different grainy texture, different, but very nice.

__________________

If you wanted hotel facilities you should have booked a hotel and paid hotel prices!!!

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

If you can find the ployes buckwheat mix someone in my book group said that was better than Bob's Red Mill for making pancakes.

Offline
Joined:
08/04/2008

Madeleine wrote:

If you can find the ployes buckwheat mix someone in my book group said that was better than Bob's Red Mill for making pancakes.

STOP- the ploye mix is made with wheat flour. Buckwheat, on it's own, is gluten-free.

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Penelope wrote:

Madeleine wrote:

If you can find the ployes buckwheat mix someone in my book group said that was better than Bob's Red Mill for making pancakes.

STOP- the ploye mix is made with wheat flour. Buckwheat, on it's own, is gluten-free.

 

The woman in my book group has celiac and she uses the ployes mix. She wouldn't use it if it was going to make her sick. So, maybe there are different brands that don't have gluten in them.

Offline
Joined:
08/04/2008

Madeleine wrote:

Penelope wrote:

Madeleine wrote:

If you can find the ployes buckwheat mix someone in my book group said that was better than Bob's Red Mill for making pancakes.

STOP- the ploye mix is made with wheat flour. Buckwheat, on it's own, is gluten-free.

 

The woman in my book group has celiac and she uses the ployes mix. She wouldn't use it if it was going to make her sick. So, maybe there are different brands that don't have gluten in them.

I just checked my bag from Bouchard's in Fort Kent- buckwheat flour (GF), wheat flour (not-GF), baking powder, and salt.

 

You are right that some mixes might be different than others. I was hoping ours was GF for our daughter, but no such luck Sad

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

Ployes mix is not gluten free. Ployes buckwheat is gluten free. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.