If someone wants 2 nights in 1 room, then 1 night in another (1st room is available all 3 nights) do you allow it?

23 replies [Last post]
Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009
Yes
26% (6 votes)
No
57% (13 votes)
Yes, but with a cleaning fee
17% (4 votes)
Total votes: 23
Proud Texan's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

We moved a couple for another couple who wanted to book three nights instead of two.   The second couple had a big falling out and cancelled less than two hours before their scheduled arrival.   They forfeited their full reservation plus a romance package.   We were able to re-rent the room for one night, so we made some good $$$ this weekend. 

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Score one for the good guys!

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Absolutely LOVE IT when innkeepers are the ones coming out ahead!

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Proud Texan wrote:

We moved a couple for another couple who wanted to book three nights instead of two.   The second couple had a big falling out and cancelled less than two hours before their scheduled arrival.   They forfeited their full reservation plus a romance package.   We were able to re-rent the room for one night, so we made some good $$$ this weekend. 

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

I wrote the e-mail to the guest. He has decided to just do the 2 nights he's already booked. No attitude, yeah! I have the other room with a 2 night minimum. Hope it books!

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

I ended up moving everyone involved. Guest A gets same room for 2 nights, Guest B gets an upgrade for free for their one night. And I don't have to clean that other room again for 2 one-night stays.

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Definitely worth the free upgrade to save on the cleaning. That's a great compromise.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

AND it freed up a 3-night run instead of a lot of one night stays in the same room.

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

This was discussed here about a year ago, when guests were wanting to change to a different room every night, just to try them all out. The innkeeper didn't like it a bit of course,, but the guests thought they had a valid point, saying it's no more work than having different people stay there each of three nights, and they allow that all the time.

I've run into the same feeling in restaurants that won't split a check for a group of people. If we split our group up and each couple sat at a different table, they'd have multiple tables to clean and they'd write a check for each couple without question. But when we share one table, multiple checks ae suddenly a problem they can't surmount.

__________________

All saints can do miracles, but few of them can keep hotel. ~ Mark Twain

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Arkansawyer wrote:

This was discussed here about a year ago, when guests were wanting to change to a different room every night, just to try them all out. The innkeeper didn't like it a bit of course,, but the guests thought they had a valid point, saying it's no more work than having different people stay there each of three nights, and they allow that all the time.

I've run into the same feeling in restaurants that won't split a check for a group of people. If we split our group up and each couple sat at a different table, they'd have multiple tables to clean and they'd write a check for each couple without question. But when we share one table, multiple checks ae suddenly a problem they can't surmount.

That is funny!

The thing with changing rooms is thus, check out is 11am and check-in is 3pm, or 4pm, this means the couple needs a place to go and to stow their stuff while cleaning BOTH rooms, the one they just left (for a new check in) and the one they are going into (as the prev occupants left at 11am).  

Now if you had no guests at all in the world besides them, then they could happily gallop between rooms.

So in reality the logistics is a bit more tricly than individual checks. 

Now back to your group dining scenario - groups sit longer, take longer and are less cooperative. Wew went to a local restaurant last week and "the group" which was split up and all over the restaurant sat and talked an hour after their meal, then stood and talked outside blocking the exit for another 30 minutes...so you would need to SNAP SNAP SNAP your fingers and try to get them sorted out in a large group, more than at individ tables.  That is why they are called a MOB, they take over, the same is here, chaos breaks out when people have been here for a function and all try to pay each his own.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Joey Bloggs wrote:

The thing with changing rooms is thus, check out is 11am and check-in is 3pm, or 4pm, this means the couple needs a place to go and to stow their stuff while cleaning BOTH rooms, the one they just left (for a new check in) and the one they are going into (as the prev occupants left at 11am).  

Now if you had no guests at all in the world besides them, then they could happily gallop between rooms.

So in reality the logistics is a bit more tricly than individual checks. 

 

We get this a lot for some reason. We do all the moving if the new room is not empty already. Yeah, it takes more work and more time but that way the guests can get out of our hair.

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

we move stuff if it needs to be moved its less bother - ie they have to pack it up and we shift it.

__________________

Don't mess with me today or I will kill you!!!!

 

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

So, here's what I decided to do. I made the Cottage a 2 night minimum in August. It makes sense on a business level anyway. I then e-mailed the guest telling him that we could switch him if he was in the Cottage for 2 nights, otherwise, the additional night would need to be in the room he's already in.

We'll see what happened.

Thanks for everyone's input. The poll showed that clearly most innkeepers on the forum would not let folks just change rooms if there wasn't a good reason. It just validated my policy and even if I feel a little bad for them, I would feel even worse if I swapped them!

Highlands John's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/16/2010

Somtimes this suits us becuase someone wants 3 nights and we've haven't got a single room for all of the 3 nights. Sometimes guests want the room with the view so rather than loose the booking I'll put them in another room for 1 night and then move them for the other nights.

Of course there's a judgement call on this, if someone rings in January and wants to swap rooms in August I'll probably say no. Depends on how likely I think it is that I'll loose their booking and get someone elses.

__________________

If you wanted hotel facilities you should have booked a hotel and paid hotel prices!!!

 

Offline
Joined:
08/07/2008

I don't like that request.  They don't realize the work that it puts the innkeeper through.  I have had the same thing happen.  Most of the time it happens because the same room is not available for the duration of their stay and I am happy to change rooms for that but not for the sake of just trying moving around trying different rooms.

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

I've got honeymooners who booked the only room available (smallest room, single jetted tub) for 2 nights. A couple days later they're asking to add on another night, but they want to go to our largest room (separate cottage) even though their room they booked is available for all 3 nights. It's a whole lot more work for us in the busiest month of the year and I would like to hold out for at least a 2 night reservation for that large room.

Am I just tired, or is that a reasonable request?

 

Offline
Joined:
06/24/2008

I see the reason is mainly that you would like a 2 nighter in the cottage.  So my question to you is if someone was to call today and what that room for 1 night (same night) would you take their reservation or deny it?  Do you have a 2 night min. for that room for that time frame? 

If the answer is no you do not have a min. night stay, it stands to reason to take the request.  If you give a discount for multi-night stay, I would tell them that would not apply to the new room as they are changing rooms, like a new guest.  I would not add a cleaning fee, just treat it as a new guest.

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

copperhead wrote:

I see the reason is mainly that you would like a 2 nighter in the cottage.  So my question to you is if someone was to call today and what that room for 1 night (same night) would you take their reservation or deny it?  Do you have a 2 night min. for that room for that time frame? 

If the answer is no you do not have a min. night stay, it stands to reason to take the request.  If you give a discount for multi-night stay, I would tell them that would not apply to the new room as they are changing rooms, like a new guest.  I would not add a cleaning fee, just treat it as a new guest.

We don't give a discount for multi-night stays. At this moment, we don't have a 2 night minimum for the big room since it's mid-week. I am seriously thinking about it though! It's an 800 sq ft. cottage and it's a lot to turn over.

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

If they wanted the larger room but it wasn't available, I would allow the change, but we also charge more for single nights than for multiple nights, so we get a few extra bucks. You never know if someone else will or won't fill the void.

__________________

Permission to quote in whole or in part, other than usage on this forum, is entirely forbidden.

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

I let guests change rooms without any kind of charge because I don't discount for multi-night stays. If a guest wants to upgrade, I'm all for it. I get your point, tho. You have the oppty to book the better room for 2 nights.

So, offer them the option of moving only if you don't get someone in there for 2 nights.

Explain it if you want or just say you'd prefer not to move guests around. Or, add on a cleaning fee. I'd stay put if I had to pay more. But, maybe they really want the other room and they'll pay.

We had guests who kept deciding to stay one more night. They had a new room each night. Yes, THAT is a pain. They were in house for 3 nights. Different room each night.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Madeleine wrote:

I let guests change rooms without any kind of charge because I don't discount for multi-night stays. If a guest wants to upgrade, I'm all for it. I get your point, tho. You have the oppty to book the better room for 2 nights.

And thus my words come back to bite me. Guest in house for 2 nights wants different room each night. Waited until 2 days before arrival to tell me they needed a different room. Room they now want just booked for 1 of the nights yesterday. So they want to move rooms each night of the stay.

I should stop offering advice.

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Typically for us, it's because they want to get to a room that has a double jacuzzi.

I would feel differently if their room wasn't available for the 3rd night. Then I would move them, no problem.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.