check in, leave and never come back!

21 replies [Last post]
Offline
Joined:
07/23/2008

Just plain WEIRD!! We have a full house.

all check in like normal. One room comes excited to check in, but leaves their luggage in the car. Ok, so they check in, get the tour and all the info. They absolutely LOVE the place and seem delighted with  their room! They leave (we think to dinner). I go up and turn down the bed and notice: no, shampoo, conditioner, lotion. hmmm did I forget to refill? No, I'm pretty sure I filled the basket.  

Ok, turn down the bed and not worry about it. Breakfast comes... no guests... check out comes ..... no guests.... hmmmm

go knock on door, no response... unlock door and go in... NO ONE THERE! hmmm bed exactly like I left it.

Then I remember the amenities... They didn't plan on coming back (and they have the key). Weird! Weird! Weird. And not a word to us! 

__________________

Sunshine

 

Hillbilly's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/22/2011

We had a couple that booked a week with us. They checked in and all was good. They came to breakfast every morning and had a great time. After they checked out, I went down to their cabin to clean it and guess what? It was the way I left it the day they checked in. They never stayed. They came to breakfast everyday and said they had a wonderful time. It still has me wanting to know what that was all about. ....Maybe they thought the room was extra. Breakfast was $145 a day and they did not want to pay for the room. I might be on to something. No room cleaning......I'm all for that! This has got to be on my top strange things that has happened being an innkeeper.

__________________

Hillbilly

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Bob wrote:

We had a couple that booked a week with us. They checked in and all was good. They came to breakfast every morning and had a great time. After they checked out, I went down to their cabin to clean it and guess what? It was the way I left it the day they checked in. They never stayed. They came to breakfast everyday and said they had a wonderful time. It still has me wanting to know what that was all about. ....Maybe they thought the room was extra. Breakfast was $145 a day and they did not want to pay for the room. I might be on to something. No room cleaning......I'm all for that! This has got to be on my top strange things that has happened being an innkeeper.

and the people, spies or something? Maybe they were in a diff room.

I tell our guests at check out "The breakfast was $159.50 but the room was free"

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Hmmm was any other cottage used???  I think at that point I might have actually contacted them and asked them something...I am not sure what...but something???? Very puzzling.

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Now that is strange!!!! Are you sure they just didn't clean up the place??? WEIRD for sure!!!

Hillbilly's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/22/2011

EmptyNest wrote:

Now that is strange!!!! Are you sure they just didn't clean up the place??? WEIRD for sure!!!

Yup, I'm sure! The room was check in ready. Even had the same lights on that I leave on.

Generic's picture
Online
Joined:
02/24/2011

We had the same thing happen to us a couple of years ago.  Guests checked in, but left the luggage in the car. Went out for dinner, and came back around 10 PM (was in the office, with door closed, so I heard them coming in with their suitcase).  Next morning, no signs of the guests and bed was not slept in.... Bizarre !!!

When we finally reached them on the phone, they tell us a story that at dinner, they got harassed by a homeless person (they were having dinner on the restaurant terrace, al fresco), and she didn't think that the city was safe, and they decided to leave later that night.  

Credit card didn't go through, so they told us they would send us the money in the mail.... which they did, but it was a foreign currency cheque, and that would have cost us 25$ bank fee to cash it... so we never did.

Oh, and btw, this is Yves,  Eric's other half.... or the lurker !!!

__________________

Permission to quote in whole or in part, other than usage on this forum, is entirely forbidden.

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Eric Arthur Blair wrote:

Oh, and btw, this is Yves,  Eric's other half.... or the lurker !!!

Hi Yves!

From an innmate about 14 hours drive down south of you.  Smiling 

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Sunshine, who knows?  As long as you got their credit card info...

We all have stories similar to this one...or with a slightly different spin!

 

__________________

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov

 

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

that worries me ... i am such an old mother hen, i'd be thinking they got in a car accident or something.

i like the fight idea better ....

__________________

Wear cute PJ’s to bed; you never know who you may meet in your dreams.

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

seashanty wrote:

that worries me ... i am such an old mother hen, i'd be thinking they got in a car accident or something.

i like the fight idea better ....

Our first week here we had a guest call on Friday to say they were running late. They never showed up. That's exactly what I thought- car accident. They never called again. I thought, 'Should I charge them or not?' Went to look at the rez and there was no cc info. Called the PO's and they were aghast that I would charge these folks who never showed up. Told me they were long time repeats but it was, 'your business what you do.' So I asked them if they had the cc number anywhere. No, they didn't.

Found it later rooting around in old paperwork. All of which showed these long time repeats to be serial cancelers. I actually spent time looking for car accident info in the news! And they never made another reservation.

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Generic's picture
Online
Joined:
02/24/2011

There are so many reasons, they could have had an emergency call, they could have had a fight, they could have changed their minds but still wanted to see, etc. Or you could have had guests like we had the first time this happened... (they reserved a second time and did the same thing the second time, except this time we figured it out, cleaned the room and rented it at a discount to a nice family a few hours later.)

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Eric Arthur Blair wrote:

There are so many reasons, they could have had an emergency call, they could have had a fight, they could have changed their minds but still wanted to see, etc. Or you could have had guests like we had the first time this happened... (they reserved a second time and did the same thing the second time, except this time we figured it out, cleaned the room and rented it at a discount to a nice family a few hours later.)

We had this happen before with a local couple. We even know them, and we just couldn't ask what happened, isn't that the oddest thing! They stayed with us again. Never mentioned it. They paid, so none of our business, but curiosity and the cat and all of that...

Generic's picture
Online
Joined:
02/24/2011

Joey Bloggs wrote:

We had this happen before with a local couple. We even know them, and we just couldn't ask what happened, isn't that the oddest thing! They stayed with us again. Never mentioned it. They paid, so none of our business, but curiosity and the cat and all of that...

Yup, showed up with no luggage. Hung the key up when they left. Learnt our lesson from the previous stay, don't worry about breakfast. They'll be back again. Hey, if they pay my rate, I have nothing to complain about. For all I know, they could be a married couple that wants a little spice in their life. As long as they don't smoke, don't bring in animals and don't do anything illegal... I'm fine.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Sunshine I can think of half a dozen inns I have been to who have had this happen. Lovely places, so don't take it to heart, there could be 100 diff reasons why they left and said nothing. As long as they paid, then no problemo.

Offline
Joined:
07/23/2008

yes

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Sunshine let us know what you find out, I hoped they paid for the room. Maybe they forgot their cc and thought they would sneak out without you knowing.

Did they book in advance or just recently? Like a fling, and felt it wouldn't be private enough or something?

Offline
Joined:
07/23/2008

Joey Bloggs wrote:

Sunshine let us know what you find out, I hoped they paid for the room. Maybe they forgot their cc and thought they would sneak out without you knowing.

Did they book in advance or just recently? Like a fling, and felt it wouldn't be private enough or something?

ya know, when he booked, he said they were touring the wineries and they do it every year (however, if they really do this every year, ya think he'd plan better than the night before).

When he made the reservation, he called at midnight (we didn't answer, and let the machine pick up) and said he made it on the wrong day. So I called him the next morning and changed it for the correct day, and he said "thats why my wife usually does these things, cuz I always mess it up".

hmmmmm maybe there is something to that. "She" wanted the 'Gr and ho tel" not a B&B... LOL!

Offline
Joined:
08/20/2012

They had a fight and went home screaming at each other. 

Iris's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/08/2009

tar4heel2 wrote:

They had a fight and went home screaming at each other. 

nononono,  they didn't have a fight, they took the shampoo and the soap. They left the luggage in the car.  They have an affair, their first getaway, they were both too chicken to go through with it...

__________________

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..."
Mark Twain

 

Highlands John's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/16/2010

IrisoftheWayfarer wrote:

tar4heel2 wrote:

They had a fight and went home screaming at each other. 

nononono,  they didn't have a fight, they took the shampoo and the soap. They left the luggage in the car.  They have an affair, their first getaway, they were both too chicken to go through with it...

But why would they take the soap?

Maybe they booked two different places and stayed in the other, so if their respective partners ever found out they were in the same town they'd have receipts to prove they were in different accommodation.

Nowt strange as folk.

 

I've recanted a similar experience in a different thread recently, although I have a pretty good idea of why they left I'd love to know for sure.

 

__________________

If you wanted hotel facilities you should have booked a hotel and paid hotel prices!!!

 

Offline
Joined:
07/23/2008

tar4heel2 wrote:

They had a fight and went home screaming at each other. 

LOL! That's what we thought too!

They booked the day before for one night, and yes with a card, and it was charged the day they booked. They signed the credit card slip and the registration form when they came so if they try to stop the charge and say they didn't stay here, I have their signature.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.