Got Print?

22 replies [Last post]
Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Anybody ever used gotprint.net before? A friend recommended them to me. He used them to print some business cards and was very pleased with the result. I just ordered 1000 rack cards from them.

Vistaprint's base price for 1000 rack cards was $128, but I got 1000 from Got Print for just $68, on glossy card stock sprayed with UV protection!

Plus you don't have to chop your way through 15 screens of sales pitches to check out, like you do with Vistaprint. (Vista has finally added a "go straight to checkout" option.)

__________________

All saints can do miracles, but few of them can keep hotel. ~ Mark Twain

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

I uploaded my image and placed my rack card order on Sunday, approved the e-mailed "proof" on Monday, and got a notice Tuesday that my order has shipped!

yes These folks don't mess around!

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

That's right. My rack cards were sent immediately. I was shocked it was so quick.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Arkansawyer wrote:

I uploaded my image and placed my rack card order on Sunday, approved the e-mailed "proof" on Monday, and got a notice Tuesday that my order has shipped!

yes These folks don't mess around!

Arks would love to see a proof of your rack card. If you have one I can view, can you email please. 

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Joey Bloggs wrote:

Arks would love to see a proof of your rack card. If you have one I can view, can you email please. 

This particular rack card isn't about my place. It's a guide to 7 rock and roll historic markers around town. During the 50's, early rock and roll performers based in Memphis performed all along US Highway 67 here, perfecting their acts before going national. So we have put markers at spots around town where Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, and several others performed here. Johnny Cash gave a concert from the roof of the concession stand of the drive in theater here! So the rack cards give info and locations of the markers where these things took place.

I put "Provided by My Guesthouse" at the bottom, and they'll go to all the state's visitor welcome centers, local tourist info office, etc. I think it will be pretty good advertising for less than $100.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Arkansawyer wrote:

Joey Bloggs wrote:

Arks would love to see a proof of your rack card. If you have one I can view, can you email please. 

This particular rack card isn't about my place. It's a guide to 7 rock and roll historic markers around town. During the 50's, early rock and roll performers based in Memphis performed all along US Highway 67 here, perfecting their acts before going national. So we have put markers at spots around town where Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, and several others performed here. Johnny Cash gave a concert from the roof of the concession stand of the drive in theater here! So the rack cards give info and locations of the markers where these things took place.

I put "Provided by My Guesthouse" at the bottom, and they'll go to all the state's visitor welcome centers, local tourist info office, etc. I think it will be pretty good advertising for less than $100.

My cup of tea, would love to see it. If you don't have a draft may I request one by mail? When they arrive. I love to see this sort of thing, I remembered you mentioning the rock n roll "trail" Smiling

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

I can e-mail you the JPG the cards are created from. 'Twill be this evening before I can send it.

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

For the record, my confirmation e-mail indicates that Got Print is based in Burbank, California, and my rack cards are being printed in their Texas press facility.

Here's an interesting (to me) video of their Heidelberg printer being installed in the Texas facility (no wonder it does better than my HP inkjet).

It was especially interesting to me because as a child (age 10-ish) I ran my family's Heidelberg job printing press (much smaller than Got Print's) at our newspaper here in my home town, printing flyers and small booklets. It was a letterpress, meaning I picked out the individual lead letters from a type drawer, set up the full print job in lead, and the Heidelberg handled spreading ink on the lead type and pressing sheets of paper against it to create the final copies.

Then I'd run the booklets through a saddle stitch stapler to bind them, and trim the edges on a paper cutter that could slice through 1500 sheets of paper like a hot knife through butter.

Ah, the good old days!

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Their templates don't have any pre-defined layout or anything. It's just a JPG file of a blank white box of the correct width and height for your 4" x 9" rack card, with a line inset from the edge all around to show the size it will be finish-trimmed to. Any parts of a photo outside the line (they call this the bleed area) will be cut off, leaving a clean photo going all the way to the edge of the card. The template makes it simple to send them exactly what they need to make a great card. You'll still be creating the design completely by yourself.

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I download the psd template so I have the layers to work with that way all the lines stay in place and then when I have the rackcard done, I delete the lined layers and save my file. I use Paint Shop Pro X4

Offline
Joined:
07/23/2008

i use Got Print, and am VERY happy with them! Great JOB on all our things! I have highly recommended them to others.

Their prices are REALLY GOOD! I can afford them with just a three room place!

My business cards have two full color images on them and they are great! My son got double sided business cards from them and also was very pleased!

__________________

Sunshine

 

Anon Inn's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/26/2011

Did you use their templates?  Do you have to have Indesign or Photoshop? I see the business cards and postcards have the design helpers, but it seems brochures do not.   I loved Vista because even a software idiot like me could make some very good looking products based on their drag and drop templates for all their products. 

Offline
Joined:
07/23/2008

Anon Inn wrote:

Did you use their templates?  Do you have to have Indesign or Photoshop? I see the business cards and postcards have the design helpers, but it seems brochures do not.   I loved Vista because even a software idiot like me could make some very good looking products based on their drag and drop templates for all their products. 

We used our own design, not the templates so I couldn't help you there.

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Anon Inn wrote:

Did you use their templates?  Do you have to have Indesign or Photoshop?  I loved Vista because even a software idiot like me could make some very good looking products based on their drag and drop templates. 

Yes, I downloaded their JPG template and built the card as an image in Windows Paint. The template produces an over-sized image so by the time it's reduced to the size of the card, it's high resolution. Frankly, it was much easier to get it like I wanted it than with the Vista online editor, which can be a bit quirky. Plus, Vista charges you $5 for each image you upload to include in the card. Much better to do it in something like Paint and just upload it as one free image!

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

DH needed biz cards so this time I went to a "real" print company that goes to the Conferences. They are smaller than the postcard I used with Vista, but the quality s great. They took out the glare (photo-ed the paintings after they were under glass) and the image was sharp. I will be checking out this one in the future. Thanks.

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

I don't know where Got Print is located, but I've noticed that the stuff from VistaPrint says "printed in Canada" .

Not that that's a bad thing Eye-wink

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

You should see what GotPr!nt charges for shipping to Canada... more than the business cards.... 

When I originally bought from VistaP, the cards weren't printed in Canada, they were printed in the US. I suspect they moved the printing to Canada because paper is cheaper. Probably using one of the remailers to ship... basically packing it, trucking it over the US border and mailing it from the US. A lot of things actually get delivered that way. L@nds€nd, J©P and ££Bean all do it.

__________________

Permission to quote in whole or in part, other than usage on this forum, is entirely forbidden.

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Eric Arthur Blair wrote:

You should see what GotPr!nt charges for shipping to Canada... more than the business cards.... 

When I originally bought from VistaP, the cards weren't printed in Canada, they were printed in the US. I suspect they moved the printing to Canada because paper is cheaper. Probably using one of the remailers to ship... basically packing it, trucking it over the US border and mailing it from the US. A lot of things actually get delivered that way. L@nds€nd, J©P and ££Bean all do it.

Was Canada now they are overseas. 

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

According to Wikipedia, they have three factories, Canada, Netherlands and Australia. And the Canadian location is listed on their website as "Production Operations", so is the Dutch office. The Aussie office says "Pty". Interesting, I didn't realize they printed here. Windsor is ideal, though, it's right across the river from Detroit.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Eric Arthur Blair wrote:

According to Wikipedia, they have three factories, Canada, Netherlands and Australia. And the Canadian location is listed on their website as "Production Operations", so is the Dutch office. The Aussie office says "Pty". Interesting, I didn't realize they printed here. Windsor is ideal, though, it's right across the river from Detroit.

YES! That's it. It rubbed me the wrong way having it come from Netherlands. I won't support them any longer, so thanks for the GOT PRINT hint here.

Oh I see Got Print uses Netherlands as well. http://gotprint.net/g/showInfo.do they say for their European clientele and mine s/b from KY. 

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I thought TX  but other locations as well

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Yes! I recently did several rack cards for folks and they told me to use them. I was leery, but the rack cards turned out TERRIFIC!!!! I now recommend them to anyone wanting to print.

Anon Inn's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/26/2011

You really have to watch for the deals on  Vista now.  I'll have a look.  Thanks for the tip

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.