ResKey New Single Column Mobile Version

21 replies [Last post]
Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Reservation Key has now made it possible to set it up so when the user is making a reservation from a mobile device, they get a single column setup, rather than the 2-column view most of their themes use, making it much easier for the mobile user to make the reservation.

It's all automatic once you set it up (edited to add the words: once you set it up). Big screen users get your regular reservation page as usual. Phone users get the single column format automatically.

It also works beautifully in landscape mode. I set mine up to use it (took less than 15 seconds) and it seems perfect. REALLY GOOD! We needed this!

__________________

All saints can do miracles, but few of them can keep hotel. ~ Mark Twain

 

Offline
Joined:
06/24/2008

Just did it!  Very little change but it all does appear in the screen now.  

I was confused because Arkie's first comment was it was automatic.  -  I just scanned everything so thought it would be automatic And I didn't need to do anything at all!!   AS GUILTY as our guests who do NOT read!crying

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Well someone at a conference is now promoting their "mobi" web sites. Telling folks their current sites are ranking poorly and scaring the heck out of them. I have already heard from several innkeeper friends. So what if it doesn't match every criteria and backwards. If you use a wordpress site and no flash it is going to be seen on a smartphone . GRRRRR.  Now if you use a responsive theme you are in good shape, even if it doesn't pass the mobi test. But I will defer to what Swirt might have to say here.

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

EmptyNest wrote:

Now if you use a responsive theme you are in good shape, even if it doesn't pass the mobi test.

A true statement.

But I'm getting tired, already, of all homepages being so blog-design oriented, and everything is in 1 column above and 3 below. Themes. I wish somebody in themedom would create something original. Everything about WordPress seems to be blog first, website second.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Arkansawyer wrote:

EmptyNest wrote:

Now if you use a responsive theme you are in good shape, even if it doesn't pass the mobi test.

A true statement.

But I'm getting tired, already, of all homepages being so blog-design oriented, and everything is in 1 column above and 3 below. Themes. I wish somebody in themedom would create something original. Everything about WordPress seems to be blog first, website second.

This was why I stuck with my 'home grown' site for so long. You buy services from a big design company and you get a canned site that looks like every other site they ever built. We used to look at new sites and say, 'I know what company built that!' Even before 'themes' site builders had canned templates they threw your info into.

But, I drank the Kool Aid. I've got a themed website in the works right now. I kinda like it. And it was what I would have done on the old site if I'd had the programming chops. This lets me 'plug and play'. And then change everything with a couple of keystrokes.

And it looks a little more polished and a little less like I did it myself in my spare time. Not a whole lot less, but some! I still have some hurdles to overcome but EmptyNest is pushing me relentlessly to tighten everything up. A few more weeks and it'll be ready for, if not prime time, then at least an after school special... Eye-wink

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

You are doing just fine. I have to give you an A for all your effort because most people I try to "train"  just don't get it...and you do wink

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Thanks! Appreciate the help and the encouragement!

OnTheShore's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/28/2011

OK, Done.

(of course the rest of the website is not really mobile ready...)

__________________

"where even time relaxes...."

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

I don't understand why some InnSpiring ResKey users have not taken the 15 seconds it takes to activate this feature. It should really help with getting reservations from mobile phone users. (Yes, I have been checking your reservation pages!)

I was at a tourism convention last week and the folks from the hospitality industry were quoting stats showing that 61% of reservations from people under 35 are now coming from mobile phones!

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I did it but my menu bar is still in there. I do not know how to do anything else. I swear I did both mobile and one column!!

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

gillumhouse wrote:

I did it but my menu bar is still in there. I do not know how to do anything else. I swear I did both mobile and one column!!

Yours is perfect Kathleen. I didn't see any menubar on the reskey screen. Just the "select your dates" boxes. I had to work to find an empty date so it would show me some rooms! Good for you!

You did fine. It's exactly how it should be.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Except for one thing - I did NOT get an e-mail last night about the 11 week reservation I got. I found it when I went back to look (I had NOT checked MOBILE until then) when it said I have1 new reservation - an intern at the local TV station from April 1 thru June 14.

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

gillumhouse wrote:

Except for one thing - I did NOT get an e-mail last night about the 11 week reservation I got. I found it when I went back to look (I had NOT checked MOBILE until then) when it said I have1 new reservation - an intern at the local TV station from April 1 thru June 14.

I think ResKey automatically knows that innkeepers who get 11 week reservations are doing fine without the reservation notice Eye-wink

Many innkeepers say they don't want reservations of more than a few days. NOT ME!!!

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

You misunderstood - the reservation was 20 hours old WITHOUT a response from me because I did not know the reservation was made! I normally get an e-mail - a new reservation was made. I did not get it. I e-mailed John about it. If you had not mentioned looking at the settings for mobile, I would not have known I had that reservation - the tool bar or whatever you call it said I had 1 NEW reservation and that is whyI found it.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Arkansawyer wrote:

I don't understand why some InnSpiring ResKey users have not taken the 15 seconds it takes to activate this feature. It should really help with getting reservations from mobile phone users. (Yes, I have been checking your reservation pages!)

I was at a tourism convention last week and the folks from the hospitality industry were quoting stats showing that 61% of reservations from people under 35 are now coming from mobile phones!

I changed mine when you posted this, did you see it in one column? I don't have anything smart, ie phone to look at it at the moment...

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Joey Bloggs wrote:

I changed mine when you posted this, did you see it in one column? I don't have anything smart, ie phone to look at it at the moment...

No, your's still requires left-right scrolling on the reskey page. Did you do both things required?

  1. Set the reservation page for mobile devices to the mobile SINGLE COLUMN theme
  2. Mark the checkbox beside that, telling it to use single column.
Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Arkansawyer wrote:

Joey Bloggs wrote:

I changed mine when you posted this, did you see it in one column? I don't have anything smart, ie phone to look at it at the moment...

No, your's still requires left-right scrolling on the reskey page. Did you do both things required?

  1. Set the reservation page for mobile devices to the mobile SINGLE COLUMN theme
  2. Mark the checkbox beside that, telling it to use single column.

check it now... please

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Joey Bloggs wrote:

check it now... please

Yes, now it's perfect! MUCH better!

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Me too. I can only look at it on an ipad and it shows the normal size.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Breakfast Diva wrote:

Me too. I can only look at it on an ipad and it shows the normal size.

DH just rolled in let me have a look at ours and yours BD.

I looked at mine and it was two column. I am sure I saved the new one! let me go look. I found it, I said ONE COLUMN but then i didn't select mobile version, it is now.

BD yours is mobile, working fine!

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Thanks JB! That's our brand new mobile site you saw too.

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

WAY COOL! I just did it.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.