Stuck and out of luck. New innkeeping job making $16 a day. Live-in position. Help!!!!

64 replies [Last post]
Offline
Joined:
06/17/2013

Hello! I am 19 years old and just accepted a position at a local bed and breakfast inn. It is a live-in position. There are 10 rooms. I work with one other woman. She is in her late 30's. She has been working here for two months. Before I started working here, she was making around $450 each half-month pay period, which is approximately $30 a day. She has children of her own and the managers would never give her any time off to see them. When I got hired, they decided that each of us would have 2 days off during the middle of the week. Her paycheck got cut in half, and my paycheck for a half month was the same as well, $230. We are being paid on salary, but aren't the minimum wage laws still in place when it comes to pay by piece, commission, etc.? We are not allowed to leave the hotel at all during our five days of work, except to get cigarettes maybe. Our managers are never here. They live 3 hours away and own 3 other businesses and 2 houses. They are filthy rich and they can not afford to pay us more than 68 cents for each hour we are here. I feel like a slave!! I can't have a life and my paycheck is barely enough to survive on. I talked to a guy on some employee hotline and he told me to look up california wage order 5. It states that employers can't take out more than $37 a week for rent and must exclude any days when the lodging is not being used by the employee. Is it at all legal for them to pay us so little to sit around at the hotel and waste our lives away?? Is it legal for them to cut her paycheck in half because a of new employee? What do I do? Talk to them about my pay and show them all the legal codes? Or just call the labor board? Help me!!! Advice is greatly appreciated. Im in distress!! 

Offline
Joined:
06/23/2013

The federal fair labor and standards act applies to all employees. You are entitled to be paid for all hours actually worked at no less than the minimum wage. If you agreed to accept room and board as part of your compensation then a deduction from your wages can be made for the reasonable value of room and board. Your employer should maintain records of that agreement and the cost of providing room and board to you. An employee may be exempt from overtime wages if they are salaried as long as the salary (including room and board) is $455 per every two week period or more and their primary duties are "management". However, even salaried employees can receive overtime if they are regularly expected to work more than 40 hours per week.

Tips can also be included in the calculation of your wages to determine if you are receiving at least minimum wage. 

The big question for you will be whether the fact that you are required to stay on site for a certain number of hours per day constitutes "work performed". It does sound preliminarily that the federal fair labor act is being violated. I would suggest you contact the Department of Labor in California and give them all of the details. The result could be that your employer decides to eliminate your job and just use one person at a salary of $24,000 per year, or less.

 

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

another great reason to quit smoking ... 

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I am about to - for the first time ever - put a topic on ignore.

From all your posts the thing that comes through for me is envy and resentment toward your employers - trying to fins a way to get them in deep doo-doo, and the deeper the better. I am grateful I am not your employer. Then when the poor you does not get laid on thick with suggestions of how to accomplish the deep doo-doo, the ultimate trump card gets played - oh BTW I am preggers. Now it comes out there is a long-time boyfriend who can make a decent living. Great, marry him and work part-time. Oh, and the new employers you are searching for? Is it fair to THEM that you will get hired, trained and then get hit with maternity leave (and it will be difficult to fire you - yes, it really will because a suit of discrimination could and in this case probably would be filed if they did).

Put me down as an old grumpy woman or whatever anyone wants to term me. The vibes I got from the beginning were "poor victim me". And before you say I have no idea what you are dealing with, I did go through a single preggers, making not the greatest money, commuting to a job, paying rent and all associated expenses of life with no help of any kind until after Buzzard was born. It was not easy, but I did it as have millions of others. No one thought of me (including me) as poor thing. I felt sorry for Buzzard because he was stuck with me as a mother. Start using some of that energy you are using to "GET" your current employers (not defending anyone I do not know, not damning them either)  to better yourself - reading, taking classes, learning new skills that will bring a GOOD income.

Offline
Joined:
06/17/2013

And if i wanted them in deep doo-doo I would have called the Labor Board already... 

Offline
Joined:
06/17/2013

Im not trying to make anyone feel sorry for me. I just was looking for some help. I am fresh to the new world and there isn't anyone I could look to in my personal circle who could help me with this situation so I came to a spot where I thought others would offer me good advice. I didn't know i was pregnant when I got this job. And I'm not looking for sympathy from strangers. Rather, just looking for a way to express what predicament I am in, since this job doesn't let me have a social life. Haha. 

I am just more upset at the situation I got myself into. It is my own fault, I realize that. And yes, I do have a bit of resentment towards them, not so much because of how they run and manage the place from a far and not even because they don't treat their employees respectfully. I am more concerned about whether or not I am being paid legitimately for my work. I haven't even seen them enough to have a deeply held grudge against them personally. As long as they are able to prove that they are paying within the legal limits, and they are willing to award us with extra pay for doing good work, then I will not be so upset or confused about the situation. 

 

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

well i'm  confused.  

and i'm going to  stop because i don't know the owner/employer's side of this.

 if you don't anticipate earning enough to have to file a tax return that is one thing, not earning enough to have taxes deducted is another thing, someone just paying you under the table is still another

 bear in mind, if you are employed, and your pay is very very low, you can qualify to claim the earned income credit which actually can be a small payout for you at tax time.  just saying ....

 

Offline
Joined:
06/17/2013

Thanks, that is helpful. 

OnTheShore's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/28/2011

When an employer gives you your W-2 form at year's end, they are required to also give you notice of the Earned Income Tax Credit opportunity.  FWIW, here's the link to the IRS home page for the EITC: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/EITC-Home-Page--It%E2%80%99s-easier-than-...

__________________

"where even time relaxes...."

 

OnTheShore's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/28/2011

If they are taking SS and Medicare out then they likely are treating you as an employee and not as an Independent Contractor. It's possible that no federal and state income taxes are being withheld because you are just not making enough money; in other words your income falls below the level at which the calculations would require anything be withheld. It may be that they are not showing deductions for rent because if they properly did, then they (and you) would have to include that in your income and they (and you) would have to pay taxes on it (don't forget that the employer pays an equal share of SS and medicare as you do). 

Something else to look into, if you really want to make sure that they are not cutting too many other corners, is to check and see if they are carrying worker's compensation insurance.

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Harborfields wrote:

If they are taking SS and Medicare out then they likely are treating you as an employee and not as an Independent Contractor. It's possible that no federal and state income taxes are being withheld because you are just not making enough money; in other words your income falls below the level at which the calculations would require anything be withheld. It may be that they are not showing deductions for rent because if they properly did, then they (and you) would have to include that in your income and they (and you) would have to pay taxes on it (don't forget that the employer pays an equal share of SS and medicare as you do). 

Something else to look into, if you really want to make sure that they are not cutting too many other corners, is to check and see if they are carrying worker's compensation insurance.

I think Harborfields is right on. Your income is way below what it would take to have to pay income tax (state/fed)

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

This is the reason some limit their internet time, when you find forums and groups with people who arrive on the scene all wound up and want complete strangers to be their saviors with innformation. If there are labor laws being violated, go to the authorities. Now is a good time to find out what they are and help yourself with some self determination if you are stuck.

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Offline
Joined:
06/17/2013

As I have said previously, I have done my research as far as the wage laws in my state pertaining to the inn-keeping business. California wage order 5. I am worried about going to the authorities so soon because I want to have another job lined up before I do so. My managers are already pretty unfriendly with their employees as it is so I would rather not go through with that right away. I do however plan on talking to them, but am unsure of how to negotiate with them on a pay, as it would cause tension mentioning that they aren't abiding by certain laws... I have written down several sections from the wage order that my managers have seemed to ignore. 

I took this job because I knew it would be a good experience to learn about desk and office work, hospitality, and general maintenance. I want to be able to move on to a better job after this, but I don't feel like I could find one if I decided to just stop now. 

yes, i must admit I was wound up at first. I am young, and I don't really know many people who are in the same type of occupation as me. I have a couple friends who are working at hotels making a lot more money than I am, even with live-in conditions. That is why I came here, to seek words of wisdom from my elders who have been in my same position before. I  really do appreciate the advice. 

Offline
Joined:
06/17/2013

As for the other questions:

- do I get food? No

- what are my duties? Reservations, check-ins, check-outs, breakfast, room and bathroom cleaning, laundry, dishes, dusting, polishing, phone calls, sweeping, mopping, watering flowers, leaf-blowing, etc.

- do I get benefits? No benefits. 

- are there other people working other than the girl I mentioned? Just us two, neither with experience in this field. 

- what else do I pay for? Phone, internet, car insurance and gas. 

- what experience do I have running a b&b? None, but I have been working since I was 13. I started with babysitting every weekend, then when I turned 16 I began getting restaurant jobs, seasonal jobs, etc. I have also worked in a chiropractic office and lived in Tahoe by myself for 6 months and worked and paid for bills. The other lady that works here doesn't know how to cook really... 

 

I must also say that I do not mind spending so much of my week here, I just think the pay is too low for all I am expected to do. I like the work, but the pay is unsatisfactory. I feel like I am putting in a lot more effort in a half a month to only make $230. If a guest pays for two nights in one of our fancier and bigger rooms, it costs about $230 for them. 

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Ashtreemeadow wrote:

I feel like I am putting in a lot more effort in a half a month to only make $230. If a guest pays for two nights in one of our fancier and bigger rooms, it costs about $230 for them. 

Yikes! CA/SF area is a very expensive place. I can't imagine what the place is like you work in if the bigger, fancier rooms are only $115 per night. Believe me, if those are the rates, your owners are not raking it in.

Offline
Joined:
06/17/2013

Actually they're 137. My math is bad too. Haha. 

My employers notified me and my coworker that it takes 1,000 each month to keep the doors open... 

It is in the foothills of the sierra nevadas in Apple hill country. Not in sf. 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Ashtreemeadow wrote:

Actually they're 137. My math is bad too. Haha. 

My employers notified me and my coworker that it takes 1,000 each month to keep the doors open... 

It is in the foothills of the sierra nevadas in Apple hill country. Not in sf. 

OK, that's none of your concern either as an employee or as someone who is unhappy with the circumstances they find themselves in.

If that is anywhere near true and you and your co worker are being paid $450 of that, essentially they are not providing food for the guests or they're not paying property taxes or they're not paying ANY other bills. (In my experience.)

But, it is still irrelevant to your situation what THEIR bills are. What is relevant is whether or not you are being paid.

BTW, good luck with the new twist to your situation! That's a tough one. This is not easy work to do when you're pregnant. We had a pregnant housekeeper one summer and she really struggled to keep up. She took a month off and then came back to work but it was really hard for her to focus on anything.

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Offline
Joined:
06/17/2013

I understand they have a lot of expenses to pay. However, they own 4 businesses, so their personal bills are easily covered. Again, not my concern, but it gives you a feel for what kind of employers they are... Distant, and not very respectful to employees.

Since I began working here, I have heard about many other employees they have shuffled through in the last year. Out of the 7, only one was fired. They do not have any sense of discipline when it comes to not talking trash about their employees. Even to guests!!! It is very disheartening. 

I have worked at 6 restaurants and 1 chiropractic office and have had to deal with a couple managers that treated their employees badly, but this is an a whole new realm. 

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Ashtreemeadow wrote:

I understand they have a lot of expenses to pay. However, they own 4 businesses, so their personal bills are easily covered. Again, not my concern, but it gives you a feel for what kind of employers they are... Distant, and not very respectful to employees.

 

It doesn't really give me any idea of what they're like as employers. What gives me an idea is what you are saying about how you are treated.

All of their 4 businesses could be underwater. They could be living on credit cards. None of it matters. You and your situation matter. And you don't have to take into consideration their good/bad business sense to try to work out something that you can live on.

But, I really do think the baby is going to be the deal breaker all around. Obviously, with no real money, you can get medicaid if your state has that program available to you. If you're not on it already, you should find out how to get on it as you need pregnancy care. A local women's clinic can help you. Planned Parenthood as an example. If there is a college nearby there will more than likely be some sort of clinic in the area as well. Most of the time they have info on hand for how to get state health care.

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

You are looking only at what the guest pays and not at other costs like: mortgage, electricity, property tax, sales taxes, supplies, etc. Everything has a cost associated with it.

Why don't you look at how you can make more in tips and make people's stay exceptional? Make what you do and how you do it worth more money. At that point you can continue to look for other work and be ready to walk away from this job if they don't increase your pay, with a good resume and experience behind you. The reviews online might be exactly your proof when you ask for a raise.

__________________

Permission to quote in whole or in part, other than usage on this forum, is entirely forbidden.

 

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

and for the new job ie you can take a print out showing 10 reviews stating how lovely you were it make a strong case

__________________

Don't mess with me today or I will kill you!!!!

 

Offline
Joined:
06/17/2013

Thank you everyone. I do agree with the cheap labor part. The other lady who works here got her paycheck cut in half as soon as I started working and before she got this job, she was living in a homeless camp. They pretty much gave me the job on the spot without much of an interview. I do make tips, but I do not believe they are reported. I also don't think I will be getting tax returns from this job either. I was just looking for a little bit more info and advice to help me out when I do actually get to talk to them in 2 weeks when they get back from vacation. I shouldn't have mentioned my age. The response would have been different. Thanks anyway though. Lots of good pointers. 

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Age is relevant in several ways - entry level with no training will not draw the same wage as years of experience; age gives a better idea of how much freedom of movement you have as in no dependents  to consider; however your age had nothing to do with my answers as I would have told anyone to look for another job. It is always easier to get another job when you currently HAVE a job.

I truly believe we are each always at a fork in the road and which fork we take determines what happens in the future. Sometimes, if we are lucky, after taking a "wrong fork" we have an opportunity to get back on the right track and intersect with a better "road". I speak from total experience.

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

Ashtreemeadow wrote:

Thank you everyone. I do agree with the cheap labor part. The other lady who works here got her paycheck cut in half as soon as I started working and before she got this job, she was living in a homeless camp. They pretty much gave me the job on the spot without much of an interview. I do make tips, but I do not believe they are reported. I also don't think I will be getting tax returns from this job either. I was just looking for a little bit more info and advice to help me out when I do actually get to talk to them in 2 weeks when they get back from vacation. I shouldn't have mentioned my age. The response would have been different. Thanks anyway though. Lots of good pointers. 

ashtreemeadow ... it DOES matter your age ... to me, anyway.  unless you have a child or children or are responsible for someone else, you have more freedom to leave this position as soon as you find a better one.  give your notice and then go. 

i had children very young and totally understand the feeling of entrapment, as soon as you have to provide for another person, your options are fewer.

 

you do not have to stay there forever ... if you are willing to relocate.   think of this job as a learning experience, temporary.  i am working now in two jobs i consider temporary because this will not be my life two years from now.   i still stronlgy advise you to seek out something else while you are employed. 

please be very careful about taxes.  you have not said but i suspect you are being paid under the table since you don't think you will be getting a w2. i still think TIPS estimated are the way these folks are going to justify paying you a low hourly wage. 

you know this arrangement could bite you, as madeline said ... because the way around the employer paying worker's comp is to claim you are an independent contractor and have your own insurance.  IF anyone finds out you work there.  i suspect it's all being done with no taxes taken out, undeclared by anyone.  sounds like a deal because you take home all the money ... however small ...  but you have no protections either ... no way to claim unemployment if the job goes away because there is no record of your employment, no contribution to social security (although some would say this is a good thing).  no way to claim unfair wages are being paid, that you're not getting overtime, etc. because you aren't officially an employee. as soon as you earn $600 , any independent contractor is supposed to be reported on that business' tax return using 1099 misc forms.  also, the irs knows darn well when someone is an employee not an independent contractor, especially if they are living on site

 

okay ... i could go on and on here ... you can tell i don't like it

 

Offline
Joined:
06/17/2013

This is where I'm confused. They had me fill out a w-4, and I always claim 0. So I am not sure why it doesn't say how much is being withheld on my paycheck. My employers have not shown me any proof of deductions for rent either. 

Also, as I have been worried to mention, as it did not seem appropriate or relevant, I an actually expecting right now. Yup, I just found I am pregnant. So 5,400 a year is definitely.... Well... Not sufficient if I am trying to save for a bundle of joy.... Stressful situation... 

Offline
Joined:
06/17/2013

When I ask about my pay, should I tell them I am expecting? Or should I wait a while? I'm worried they would fire me. 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Ashtreemeadow wrote:

When I ask about my pay, should I tell them I am expecting? Or should I wait a while? I'm worried they would fire me. 

I hate to say it but quite a lot of employers, working against federal job discrimination laws, find lots of ways to get pregnant workers to quit.

Do you think you can stay in this job at 9 months' pregnant? Raise a child on the job? Is baby daddy going to support the child or are you on the street without a prayer once the little one comes along?

Lots to think about.

Offline
Joined:
06/17/2013

I feel like I could bear it out until probably about 8 and a half months. Luckily, the father and I have been together 2 years and have seen many trials that have only helped to bring us closer. He is quite a bit older than me and has a lot more financial stability. I would definitely not be able to work here when I have the kid, so I would need to find another job, probably part time so I don't have to be away from him too long. My boyfriend is possibly getting a job through a family member as an electrician starting at $20 an hr, gas paid, overtime and benefits. It is a big company so he would get lots of work. I am happy that there is opportunity on his side of the fence! So that part is all worked out for now.

hopefully something good opens up for me at some point! Just gotta put my nose to the grindstone I guess. 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Boy, I hate that I am going to sound like I'm your grandmother or something but how about getting married?

You know, you and the bf move in together, build a future for all of you.

Maybe then your position is more secure and you get a better job than this one.

BTW, been there, done that and it's not easy being a single mom. See if the two of you can work something out.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Boy, I hate that I am going to sound like I'm your grandmother or something but how about getting married?

You know, you and the bf move in together, build a future for all of you.

Maybe then your position is more secure and you get a better job than this one.

BTW, been there, done that and it's not easy being a single mom. See if the two of you can work something out.

Offline
Joined:
06/17/2013

Definitely. I'm sure we will. Thank you Madeline, you have been very helpful! 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Have you received a first paycheck? There should be some sort of statement with it. NOT just a check with $xx on it. Otherwise you have NO idea what's going on. All of our employees get direct deposit but they also get a statement that says how many hours they worked, at what rate and what taxes were taken out.

They need to show you how much money is being deducted from your pay and what that is going toward.

Offline
Joined:
06/17/2013

Yes, I have received it. So far they have not provided any information on my checks about deductions, except for Social Security and Medicare. In the information I looked up regarding wage laws, it says that even if paid on salary that employers must abide by the minimum wage law of 8 per hr, show deductions for living expenses, and provide a written contract for the employee to sign agreeing that they can take deductions out of their pay for rent. None of this info has been provided to me by my employers. On my pay check it says I worked 1.00 hour and made $230. I am also still confused why state and federal taxes do not apply. Will I owe taxes at the end of the year? 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

I would say your employers know their way around the employment laws. OR, they always hire people who no one cares about. People who live on the edge anyway and won't/don't make waves.

I think you made that clear saying your co worker was living in a homeless camp.

You probably should call that employment lawyer guy back again. That's the best place to get the info you need, no matter what you decide to do with it.

Offline
Joined:
06/17/2013

When I talked to the employee hotline guy (he's sf-based and also a lawyer so he knows what he's talking about), that was the first question I asked. Am I considered an independent contractor? He said it did not apply to me. I should give him a call again... 

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Ashtreemeadow wrote:

When I talked to the employee hotline guy (he's sf-based and also a lawyer so he knows what he's talking about), that was the first question I asked. Am I considered an independent contractor? He said it did not apply to me. I should give him a call again... 

CA is very strict with their independent contractor rules. I dealt with them for many years since I was in an industry (not b&b) where there was much abuse. You are definitely NOT an independent contractor. You would need to make a complaint to the state. Even after a complaint, it could take quite some time for anything to happen.

So, you must make your short term plans. What are you prepared to do right now to either make your situation better, or to change jobs? You have 2 days off mid-week. Hit the pavement and get your resume out there. Look for a cheap room to rent with room mates or look on ads that are looking for housemates cheap. Even getting a fast food job and paying cheap rent somewhere would be better. Maybe another b&b is looking for housekeepers. If you found another job in the same industry, you could work your way up to an assistant innkeeper and make the money you deserve.

I guess what I'm saying is they are not holding you captive. YOU ARE. It's a tough situation, but you're the only person who can change your life. Don't be frozen from fear or anger. Get motivated by it.

Come back here on the forum and let us know what you are doing to change your situation. You'll be amazed at how much encouragement you can get here!

GO FOR IT, YOU CAN DO IT!!

Offline
Joined:
06/17/2013

Thank you, that is very encouraging!! 

I did actually just receive a call for a job opportunity at yet another restaurant as a hostess part time. If I went that direction again, I'd have to find another part time job as well. I am trying to weigh out the pros and cons of each choice. 

I hope that the conversation I'm planning on having with my employers goes well! I still have a couple days to figure out how to tell them I am unsatisfied. 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Ashtreemeadow wrote:

Thank you everyone. I do agree with the cheap labor part. The other lady who works here got her paycheck cut in half as soon as I started working and before she got this job, she was living in a homeless camp. They pretty much gave me the job on the spot without much of an interview. I do make tips, but I do not believe they are reported. I also don't think I will be getting tax returns from this job either. I was just looking for a little bit more info and advice to help me out when I do actually get to talk to them in 2 weeks when they get back from vacation. I shouldn't have mentioned my age. The response would have been different. Thanks anyway though. Lots of good pointers. 

It's not actually correct that your age made a difference. We've had other innkeepers on here who found themselves in similar situations. Sign on for one job and find out the owners let all the other employees go and now you're doing everything and being paid only for one job.

If no taxes will be reported then no taxes will be collected and your 'employer' will state that you are an independent contractor and you will be required to pay all the back taxes yourself, should you get caught. Of course, there's no guarantee anyone is going to be looking.

But, you can be sure your employers know all the loopholes.

I actually feel badly for you. You're in a tough spot. But, you sound like you can take care of yourself. It really stinks that employers think nothing of screwing the people who work for them. (And, yes, I am an employer.)

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

well, we'll see.

could be a post-n-run or maybe she will come back.

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Maybe she lost her job or the internet got turned off or she got caught posting about how horrible her job is.

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

i am sorry.

sometimes what sounds like a good idea is not so great when you start actually doing the work and feel grossly underpaid.

 

i will just say i was not compensated well for being live-in innkeeper.  i also felt trapped ...  but it was, in truth, a situation of my own making.  it was a vulnerable time for me and i relied on a handshake deal ... NEVER  the way to do business. now that i have some distance from that part of my life, i shake my head at my own folly.

 

if your employers continually hire people who stay until they are fed up, they are not likely to change what they are doing.  i saw this in small rural areas of Maine.  employers who acted like tyrants because there was always a fresh supply of people to hire. 

 

i am wondering if you are supposedly getting TIPS in addition to your wages. 

do you get TIPS?

this could account for a very big loophole in laws governing minimum wages.  and watch out ... because you will be expected to report those TIPS on your taxes if your employer is saying you receive them.

 

since you say that jobs are hard to come by ... KEEP doing this job but search for another.

you have internet access, so start your search there. 

look for housekeeping jobs, any jobs that are in line with what you are doing now. keep a log of all the things you do so you can pull together a great resume.  the job you want comes  with free housing since it seems you need that?  you may have to move out of the area ... but you are young, i say GO. 

 

i won't slam you but ... try to quit the cigarettes.  they suck the life out of you (literally) as well as a good chunk of the small wage you are earning.  plus a lot of high class b&b's don't want to employ smokers or won't allow you to smoke on the property. 

good luck.

 

 

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Isn't it strange, someone who wanted our help so much has never come back to let us know what is happening.????

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

I think she expected all of us to be outraged with her. I think she might have gotten a good does of reality here and didn't like it.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I think she was looking for the poor imposed upon baby and they are BAD people routine but got real life from us - a touch of sympathy but more if you do not like it, change it. I guess that is why we are sharks and all he lovely tags we have been given. We have been around the block a few times and will always tell it like it is.

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

We are masters of our own destiny. Whine goes well with cheese and crackers Smiling

Offline
Joined:
02/18/2012

I agree with some advice previously mentioned.  You are never stuck and what's the saying, luck is when opportunity meets talent?  So, take up the challenge of creating ops - that's the fun part of starting working.

I think your two best options are to leave or to talk to the owners/managers as Madeline suggested or Innkeep talked about.  Scratch the whole legal thing - it will lead to stress and resentment.

If you sit down to talk,  I would suggest not bringing up the legal codes because that's just going to make them defensive and not like you in the long term.  (You can be right and still lose- and yeah, that's a lesson I learned myself...ummm...several times).  I would say that there may be about a 30% chance you can talk them into a different payment scheme.

Knowing you'll probably not win, what do you have to lose? Sit down to talk. Suggest focusing on facts - you'd like to make more at work, you enjoy the work, it's one of your first jobs so it was your fault for not realizing this, but you likely aren't going to be able to make ends meet.  You were wondering if they had any thoughts...you had one that you'd like to share- where they might get some extra money as well, a 10% for extra guests brought in. 

This past year, I read a really great book called Crucial Conversations.  I loved it and highly recommend.  Good luck!

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

is food included?

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

So let me get this straight. You're making $24,000 a year, your housing and all utilities are paid for and you get 2 days off a week? Heck, there's a lot of innkeepers who would love to make that.

You're 19, get some experience with this job and then find another one if you want. Stop thinking about how much you make per hour because the value of what you have is far greater than your hourly wage.

If you don't like the conditions, why in the heck did you take the job?? Sounds better than working at minimum wage and having to pay rent and and all your utilities.

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Breakfast Diva wrote:

So let me get this straight. You're making $24,000 a year, your housing and all utilities are paid for and you get 2 days off a week? Heck, there's a lot of innkeepers who would love to make that.

I think it's more like $5400/year. $450/month.

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Madeleine wrote:

Breakfast Diva wrote:

So let me get this straight. You're making $24,000 a year, your housing and all utilities are paid for and you get 2 days off a week? Heck, there's a lot of innkeepers who would love to make that.

I think it's more like $5400/year. $450/month.

Oops! Can you tell math is not my strong suit?

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Breakfast Diva wrote:

Madeleine wrote:

Breakfast Diva wrote:

So let me get this straight. You're making $24,000 a year, your housing and all utilities are paid for and you get 2 days off a week? Heck, there's a lot of innkeepers who would love to make that.

I think it's more like $5400/year. $450/month.

Oops! Can you tell math is not my strong suit?

Yes, $24k and I might ask where the job is! Eye-wink

But I think there was also mention that she is paying to live there. So, extremely low wages (my housekeeper makes more than that in 2 weeks' time) AND paying for her room. If I read it right.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.