What's your take on 2 beds in a room?

45 replies [Last post]
Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Would you not stay at a B&B where the only rooms they had remaining had 2 beds? Would you always pick the room with one bed vs the room with 2 beds? Even at the same price?

Why? What is the pox associated with 2 beds? Thinking the room is going to be too small? What's the thinking?

Usually what I hear is this, 'Oh, we don't need a room that big.' When I tell them the price is the same it does not change their minds. This is sight unseen. They have not seen the rooms online or in person (altho I get that in person also).

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

my trouble is they always want the other option of what you've got ie we have just had home and gift 3 days of setting up people who all want twin rooms for 2 men, then all double rooms for single occupancy for 5 days then 2 days of twins again. If I could get a zip and link bed into every room I would - would save me a ton of bother!

 

__________________

Don't mess with me today or I will kill you!!!!

 

Willowpondgj's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/06/2008

We have two rooms that can sleep up to four. One has a Queen with built in bunks and one has a King with a trundle bed. Both of these rooms are popular, not only for families, but for people traveling together who don't want to share a bed, including spouses! Ha! I don't think it has ever been a negative for the guests, often they just use the extra bed to lay their belongings on or as a sofa. We don't advertise the extra beds as we prefer only double occupancy, but it is there as an option when people ask...

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Older guy here with wife, daughter, SIL and grandkids said his daughter planned the whole vacation and we were one of the only b&b's that A) took kids and B) had two beds.

Said his daughter loves b&b's but had a tough time on this trip finding ones that could fit 3 in a room or let the older folks have two beds.

It's one reason I mention the two beds on our home page.

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Madeleine wrote:

Older guy here with wife, daughter, SIL and grandkids said his daughter planned the whole vacation and we were one of the only b&b's that A) took kids and B) had two beds.

Said his daughter loves b&b's but had a tough time on this trip finding ones that could fit 3 in a room or let the older folks have two beds.

It's one reason I mention the two beds on our home page.

I think you need to keep track of when it rents with multiples. Is it when you would have been full anyway?

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

We get most of our multiples in the summer... looking at college, family vacations, weddings. What I really need to know is how often are all the beds in use! One room will stay with 2 beds because the space is so awkward there's nothing to put in the empty space if I remove a bed. And there's no room for a king. Yes, the space is really awkward!

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

I've got one of those awkward spaces too! An almost 700 sq ft suite, but the bedroom will only fit a queen bed because of windows and slanted ceiling. It seems crazy to have all that sq ft yet not be able to have a king.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Breakfast Diva wrote:

Madeleine wrote:

Older guy here with wife, daughter, SIL and grandkids said his daughter planned the whole vacation and we were one of the only b&b's that A) took kids and B) had two beds.

Said his daughter loves b&b's but had a tough time on this trip finding ones that could fit 3 in a room or let the older folks have two beds.

It's one reason I mention the two beds on our home page.

I think you need to keep track of when it rents with multiples. Is it when you would have been full anyway?

And would you believe...a guest leaving with husband asked about a room with two beds for a future trip to have a girlfriends getaway... 

But, she also asked about a discount or specials and only one night. So there ya have it! 

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

A discount for one night!! WHAT!!!! Give me a break.

IronGate's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/09/2008

Madeleine wrote:

Would you not stay at a B&B where the only rooms they had remaining had 2 beds? Would you always pick the room with one bed vs the room with 2 beds? Even at the same price?

Why? What is the pox associated with 2 beds? Thinking the room is going to be too small? What's the thinking?

Usually what I hear is this, 'Oh, we don't need a room that big.' When I tell them the price is the same it does not change their minds. This is sight unseen. They have not seen the rooms online or in person (altho I get that in person also).

It finally dawned on me that my reaction would be just that: "I don't need that." It has nothing to do with the price. I simply don't need that space, but someone else might. I'd feel awful and guilty if I had a room with unused capacity, and some weary family was out there with no place to stay. It even extends beyond that. I only need one bed. I can go anywhere. I know you're a small operation, and you might need to save that room for somebody who does need the space. It doesn't occur to me the room might go completely empty. I just don't want to be the one who prevented you from giving it to the person who needs it.

__________________

Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

IronGate wrote:

Madeleine wrote:

Would you not stay at a B&B where the only rooms they had remaining had 2 beds? Would you always pick the room with one bed vs the room with 2 beds? Even at the same price?

Why? What is the pox associated with 2 beds? Thinking the room is going to be too small? What's the thinking?

Usually what I hear is this, 'Oh, we don't need a room that big.' When I tell them the price is the same it does not change their minds. This is sight unseen. They have not seen the rooms online or in person (altho I get that in person also).

It finally dawned on me that my reaction would be just that: "I don't need that." It has nothing to do with the price. I simply don't need that space, but someone else might. I'd feel awful and guilty if I had a room with unused capacity, and some weary family was out there with no place to stay. It even extends beyond that. I only need one bed. I can go anywhere. I know you're a small operation, and you might need to save that room for somebody who does need the space. It doesn't occur to me the room might go completely empty. I just don't want to be the one who prevented you from giving it to the person who needs it.

Bingo! We hear that one a lot! 'Oh, I don't want to take a room from someone who needs 2 beds!'

Which is why I don't mention the second bed if this is a cold call. But it's hard to avert their eyes if they're walk-ins!

What I find odd is that most hotels have 2 beds or 1 king bed. Does anyone think twice about taking the last double room if they need a place to stay?

IronGate's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/09/2008

Madeleine wrote:

IronGate wrote:

Madeleine wrote:

Would you not stay at a B&B where the only rooms they had remaining had 2 beds? Would you always pick the room with one bed vs the room with 2 beds? Even at the same price?

Why? What is the pox associated with 2 beds? Thinking the room is going to be too small? What's the thinking?

Usually what I hear is this, 'Oh, we don't need a room that big.' When I tell them the price is the same it does not change their minds. This is sight unseen. They have not seen the rooms online or in person (altho I get that in person also).

It finally dawned on me that my reaction would be just that: "I don't need that." It has nothing to do with the price. I simply don't need that space, but someone else might. I'd feel awful and guilty if I had a room with unused capacity, and some weary family was out there with no place to stay. It even extends beyond that. I only need one bed. I can go anywhere. I know you're a small operation, and you might need to save that room for somebody who does need the space. It doesn't occur to me the room might go completely empty. I just don't want to be the one who prevented you from giving it to the person who needs it.

Bingo! We hear that one a lot! 'Oh, I don't want to take a room from someone who needs 2 beds!'

Which is why I don't mention the second bed if this is a cold call. But it's hard to avert their eyes if they're walk-ins!

What I find odd is that most hotels have 2 beds or 1 king bed. Does anyone think twice about taking the last double room if they need a place to stay?

No, but everyone knows that a hotel has tons of inventory. Some seem to think unlimited inventory. You only have a few rooms. I don't want to be the one to use something I don't need and prevent you from making it available to someone who does need it. Give them permission to take the room. "I know it's more than you need, but experience has taught me that very few B&B travelers want two beds in a room; those are hotel folks, and they don't know what they're missing. Really, if you don't take it, it's likely to sit empty." Now, your guests are doing you a favor by taking the room.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

I'll give that a try... hopefully it doesn't end up with, 'Well...if you think it's going to be empty, how about knocking $50 off the price?'

IronGate's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/09/2008

Madeleine wrote:

I'll give that a try... hopefully it doesn't end up with, 'Well...if you think it's going to be empty, how about knocking $50 off the price?'

OH, good point! Yikes, it comes from all directions, doesn't it?

"You want a discount? You little goose! Now you're just being silly!" Insert bemused chortle and change subject here. You don't want to get into an open debate about your rates and policies.

How about, instead of "it'll just be empty," you say, "Experience has taught me that its going to be taken by someone who only needs one bed. It might as well be you!"

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

IronGate wrote:

How about, instead of "it'll just be empty," you say, "Experience has taught me that its going to be taken by someone who only needs one bed. It might as well be you!"

I like that one better!

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Madeleine wrote:

IronGate wrote:

How about, instead of "it'll just be empty," you say, "Experience has taught me that its going to be taken by someone who only needs one bed. It might as well be you!"

I like that one better!

yes

Offline
Joined:
06/24/2008

Good one!

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

"Really, if you don't take it, it's likely to sit empty." Now, your guests are doing you a favor by taking the room"

And you tell them that, they'll be asking for a discount!

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Breakfast Diva wrote:

"Really, if you don't take it, it's likely to sit empty." Now, your guests are doing you a favor by taking the room"

And you tell them that, they'll be asking for a discount!

I just said that!

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Madeleine wrote:

Breakfast Diva wrote:

"Really, if you don't take it, it's likely to sit empty." Now, your guests are doing you a favor by taking the room"

And you tell them that, they'll be asking for a discount!

I just said that!

Great minds think alike! I didn't see your post before I typed.  LOLenlightened

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

When possible, I would opt for 1 bed and a secondary dual purpose piece, i.e. some piece of furniture that you can sit on to relax (day bed, chair that folds out to twin bed).

We just had our new sofa/chaise/bed I posted in another thread used as a bed and it got glowing reviews from the slightly older than middle aged guest. She said it was very comfortable and much better than a traditional sofabed.

During the day it's a smaller sofa with a chaise at one end which you can relax on and then it makes out to a double bed when needed.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Even after i had a private bathroom, I had several people who called the smallest room with full-size bed and shared bath - MY room. Is MY room vacant this weekend?

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Our room with the day bed as well as the queen is our best selling room! The other, smaller room, acts as overflow. It has one queen bed.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Midwest Madam wrote:

Our room with the day bed as well as the queen is our best selling room! The other, smaller room, acts as overflow. It has one queen bed.

there is no way to accurately compare from my queen bed to yours or maddie's. the room photo online may be a better vantage point than the other rooms, the colors, or real wood vs white wicker... Little things may sway the bookings of all of our rooms.

I don't want anything girlie. I don't want anything velvety and dark, I don't want juvenile college girl  decor. On the other hand a tub vs a shower mayb be at play... So many differentials to consider. Then there is location in the house, first floor, second, front or back, looks out on road, or aback yard, price. 

I wish there was a way to figure it out, would be kind of fun!

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Sorry, double posts.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

You may remember last year I was concerned the 'plague' room wasn't booking. This year it is running 60% occ. Lower price? Better photo? Reno?

Walk-ins are taking it for Pete's sake!

I may use the same colors in another room!

And, the gen x & y crowd are booking it.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Only sometimes do the guests say why they picked a room or why they won't take a room. And we've had them all -

  • No, the room is blue
  • Yes, the room is blue
  • Love the view
  • Hate looking out on the road (same room)
  • My grandmother's name is...
  • Loved the old brass beds
  • Hate the beds.
  • Love how cozy it feels
  • Hate the sloped ceilings
  • Etc
Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Only sometimes do the guests say why they picked a room or why they won't take a room. And we've had them all -

  • No, the room is blue
  • Yes, the room is blue
  • Love the view
  • Hate looking out on the road (same room)
  • My grandmother's name is...
  • Loved the old brass beds
  • Hate the beds.
  • Love how cozy it feels
  • Hate the sloped ceilings
  • Etc
Offline
Joined:
06/26/2008

When we had a bedroom with 2 twin beds it was always the last one to book. Now that bedroom is set up with be king and books all the time and the bedroom looks larger.  It was the best change we did - for a few guests that are looking for 2 beds was not worth it.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

April wrote:

When we had a bedroom with 2 twin beds it was always the last one to book. Now that bedroom is set up with be king and books all the time and the bedroom looks larger.  It was the best change we did - for a few guests that are looking for 2 beds was not worth it.

that is what we did, took what was called by po's "the twin room" which they told us business travelers preferred , but of course they NEver wanted a twin, one or two of them... Now it is a king and booked more than the queens.  Agree April, the time mother and daughter stayed one night only and needed two beds, was not worth it. Girl friend getaways didn't even want it. 

Offline
Joined:
06/26/2008

You are right, mother-daughter combo usually does fine with one big bed. This days we care less and less having families with kids cramming into the bedroom with more than 1 bed-to much work.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Location - we do a good girlfriend getaway biz. But. We lost one extra bed and gained more biz.

I can't totally do away with the second beds and I'm nervous about losing one more 'option' for any reason.

This weekend? All the second beds are in use. Families in two of the rooms. Seniors who just want extra space in the other.

I've already passed the dog biz off to another inn. Not sure if losing the 'family/girlfriend' biz i's a good idea.

Always a big decision.

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Madeleine wrote:

Usually what I hear is this, 'Oh, we don't need a room that big.' When I tell them the price is the same it does not change their minds. This is sight unseen. They have not seen the rooms online or in person (altho I get that in person also).

"Oh, we don't need a room that big" = I don't want to pay that much. It could have 1,2 or 5 beds, they just don't like the price. I get it all the time with our suites...they're looking for a cheaper room.

Innkeep's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/04/2008

I wish I had room to have a two-bed room.  I don't, so I don't really track the need for it, but there are some requests, and the other 2 B&B's in town don't have that option either.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

And I am getting calls for 2 beds. Not here. This was never a mansion. Rooms are too small for 2 beds.

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

 i would definitely take the room with 2 beds if that is what you have left.  i only need one bed, i'm fine in a twin bed, but love a bigger bed.

i guess my knee jerk reaction as a would-be guest is that i'd have less room if there are 2 beds in the room so i would want to know the room isn't crowded. 

i often said 'the room has a king bed ... full bath ... desk and chair ... fireplace ... wing chair with ottoman ...  twin day bed  ...  you can see pictures at xyz  '  i mentioned the additional bed towards the end of the description 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

This is why I'm torn - guests call and say, 'Thank goodness! You were clear the room has 2 beds, we need 2 beds! Do you know how hard it is to find a B&B with 2 beds in the room???'

And then the caller who says, '2 beds? What do I need 2 beds for? No thanks!' and they hang up. If they give me a chance I tell them (ha, ha) they don't have to sleep in both beds! Nothing doing.

So, what I have been doing is 'forgetting' to mention the second bed unless they ask for a second bed.

'Yes, I have a queen room on the first floor or second floor, which would work for you?' Bingo! They book and that's that. If they then ask for a room with a second bed, I say, 'Yes, I have a room with 2 beds on the first floor or the second floor, which would work for you?'

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

exactly ... if this is a problem you are running into ... if they don't mention the need for a second bed, i wouldn't mention it

i also had bolster pillows with velcro that held them on the ends that made the smaller second bed in one of the rooms look like a daybed even though that one was just a regular twin. 

Madeleine wrote:

So, what I have been doing is 'forgetting' to mention the second bed unless they ask for a second bed.

'Yes, I have a queen room on the first floor or second floor, which would work for you?' Bingo! They book and that's that. If they then ask for a room with a second bed, I say, 'Yes, I have a room with 2 beds on the first floor or the second floor, which would work for you?'

Offline
Joined:
06/26/2008

I have noticed opposite - recently had  a coupe of grand parents wanting to share the queen bed with 11 year old granddaughter!!!!!- are you kidding?!

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

Depends on the bed size... tell me the bed size is a full/double and I'm gone. I'm sleeping in a queen or larger. Not staying in a room with anything less.

__________________

Permission to quote in whole or in part, other than usage on this forum, is entirely forbidden.

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Eric Arthur Blair wrote:

Depends on the bed size... tell me the bed size is a full/double and I'm gone. I'm sleeping in a queen or larger. Not staying in a room with anything less.

Beds are queen and twin or 2 queen beds. No double beds.

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

Well, then start that way... without mentioning that it has two rooms, say that you have a room with queen sized bed. Forget mentioning the second bed, it's just a place to dump stuff if you are staying in one bed.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Eric Arthur Blair wrote:

Well, then start that way... without mentioning that it has two rooms, say that you have a room with queen sized bed. Forget mentioning the second bed, it's just a place to dump stuff if you are staying in one bed.

i agree w this. I have stayed in places without being told there was a day bed. It didn't worry me. Twin beds are frowned upon nowadays. Two beds in a hotel is either two doubles or two queens. I will always choose that over one king, sagging in the middle. 

Ask what they are looking for first, I always ask "how many people..."

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Joey Bloggs wrote:

Eric Arthur Blair wrote:

Well, then start that way... without mentioning that it has two rooms, say that you have a room with queen sized bed. Forget mentioning the second bed, it's just a place to dump stuff if you are staying in one bed.

i agree w this. I have stayed in places without being told there was a day bed. It didn't worry me. Twin beds are frowned upon nowadays. Two beds in a hotel is either two doubles or two queens. I will always choose that over one king, sagging in the middle. 

Ask what they are looking for first, I always ask "how many people..."

 

And yet, the room with the 2 queen beds is the slowest to book. Absolutely could be the price. But without telling the price I get, 'That's too big!'

Offline
Joined:
06/24/2008

When traveling I usually ask for 1 bed but will take a room with two beds rather than having to hang up and call my 2nd choice especially if the price is the same. 

Unsure of the thinking there.  Here there is a pricing difference in my rooms with 2 beds so I don't have the same arrangement as you. 

If you are seeing a shift in the trend like you mentioned you may want to remove those 2nd beds as you have mentioned before on other threads. 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Something I have been noticing lately - parents reserving 2 rooms instead of sharing a room with their teen/young adult child.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.