Bought a new washer today

31 replies [Last post]
gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

My 1995 washer has been chugging like a teenager was doing his weekly laundry - in one load. So today I went to the catelog store my grandparents used and bought a new Sa msu ng washer. It has a 5.0 capacity and has no agitator. Works like a front loader but is a top loader. It will be delivered Friday - just what I need, one more thing Friday but I am not waiting another week. Roof, washer - I am smokin'!!! Then I am tapped out.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Update: Washer delivered today at 9:20 - breakfast was served at 9 and the roofer showed up to start taking down chimneys at 8. Washer installed. WONDERFUL!!!!! It is doing the second load now. I have no idea how long it took a load before, but this takes about an hour. BUT I got 3 - yes that was three - sets of sheets in one load. Load #2 has towels from 2 days use (they hung them up) plus 2 robes, and some socks. Woohoo!! Have to finish cleaning and start on the mini pepperoni rolls. The reception is at 6!!! Of course no idea when my 3 rooms will be coming in.

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

I love the timers that tell you how long, but be aware they sometimes readjust themselves, if they have to rerinse or they find that the clothes are dirtier and need more washing. But it's nice to go by and know that there are x minutes before I have to go back. I wish they would have a way for it to text me when it's done. Next one.

__________________

Permission to quote in whole or in part, other than usage on this forum, is entirely forbidden.

 

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

When ours say 1 minute left, you can bet it will be about 10. It drives me nuts!

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Glad you love it. Less work for you with a larger capacity!

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Breakfast Diva wrote:

Glad you love it. Less work for you with a larger capacity!

3 loads today that would have been at least 7 in the old washer.

Knees are screaming. Guests called to say they would be here around 7. DH called me and I came home from the reception. Went back at 8 to help clean up. Guests finally arrived around 9:30. They rented the whole house so they could have all the rooms for Mom, Dad, a 7 year old and a 3 year old. Works for me. I will still have to flip all rooms - from the sounds I am hearing it is the inmates running the asylum.

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

gillumhouse wrote:

Guests called to say they would be here around 7. DH called me and I came home from the reception. Went back at 8 to help clean up. Guests finally arrived around 9:30.

My guesthouse has self-check-in always, and so far around 50% of my guests have arrived between 10 p.m. and 12:30 a.m. (my keypad door locks e-mail me with the exact time they enter their entry code). I'm considering leaving the porch lights on for them, even when it doesn't get dark until 9 p.m., because so many arrive so late. I still wonder, and worry they've had an accident or something, until I get that e-mail that they've arrived!

I didn't stay up worrying about Innkeep, though, because she'd told me ahead of time she'd arrive around midnight, and indeed she was actually a little ahead of schedule! Innkeep can take care of herself just fine!

I mention this just so y'all can see what hour a lot of guests arrive when they're completely on their own and not bound to an arrival window. Of course, that's just in my situation, being a long way from nowhere, 90 minutes from Memphis. But, as far as arrival time, the self-check-in lets me compete well with what the local Days Inn can offer with its 24 hour front desk.

__________________

All saints can do miracles, but few of them can keep hotel. ~ Mark Twain

 

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Arkansawyer wrote:

gillumhouse wrote:

Guests called to say they would be here around 7. DH called me and I came home from the reception. Went back at 8 to help clean up. Guests finally arrived around 9:30.

My guesthouse has self-check-in always, and so far around 50% of my guests have arrived between 10 p.m. and 12:30 a.m. (my keypad door locks e-mail me with the exact time they enter their entry code). I'm considering leaving the porch lights on for them, even when it doesn't get dark until 9 p.m., because so many arrive so late. I still wonder, and worry they've had an accident or something, until I get that e-mail that they've arrived!

I didn't stay up worrying about Innkeep, though, because she'd told me ahead of time she'd arrive around midnight, and indeed she was actually a little ahead of schedule! Innkeep can take care of herself just fine!

I mention this just so y'all can see what hour a lot of guests arrive when they're completely on their own and not bound to an arrival window. Of course, that's just in my situation, being a long way from nowhere, 90 minutes from Memphis. But, as far as arrival time, the self-check-in lets me compete well with what the local Days Inn can offer with its 24 hour front desk.

Arky, you might want to consider installing porch lights that are light sensitive. We changed to them a few months ago and they work great! You can set the sensitivity and length of time they stay on when activated by motion. Saves a lot of money on electricity and you don't have to worry about manually turning them on/off.

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Breakfast Diva wrote:

Arky, you might want to consider installing porch lights that are light sensitive.

Excellent suggestion! It would also give some additional security. Plus, I need a new project to keep me busy! Thanks.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I would rather wait than mess up my 101 year old door with its beautiful bevel glass oval that is most of the door.

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

gillumhouse wrote:

I would rather wait than mess up my 101 year old door with its beautiful bevel glass oval that is most of the door.

Granted! But my oil-rubbed bronze keypad doorknobs don't look THAT modern...or maybe they do Smiling

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

It is  not "the look", it is the damage  to the door installing it that concerns me.

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

gillumhouse wrote:

It is  not "the look", it is the damage  to the door installing it that concerns me.

Ah, no worries, no damage if you have DH do it. He has those artist hands!

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

No longer can do maintenance. The post-polio has him to the point of barely getting around on two crutches and his polio hand is now basically useless.

The neat thing about our current lock is that I can lock it for the outside, but guests can turn the knob and get out.

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

How about these which are "free and clear" formula. 84 pods for about the same price Nellie's charges for 50 pods.

Or these, even cheaper for same product, but they are an "add on item" meaning they only ship with an order for something else at the same time.

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Regarding the soap in the HE machines, a recent Consumer Reports rated the Tide Pods as a best buy for HE machines. Pitch just one pod in the wash (or put it in the dispenser as your machine directs) and that's all the soap you need. No more, no less.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Those pods are awful stinky. Do they come in unscented? We used them to get some grease out of shirts and we couldn't wear the clothes until we rewashed them.

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Madeleine wrote:

Those pods are awful stinky. Do they come in unscented?

Good point! Forget the Tide pods. It looks like they only come in three scents. No unscented. I'm currently using these which have no scent but are more expensive than the Tide (but they come in a very nice, old time looking tin). I'll have to look some more and find cheaper unscented HE pods. Since my guests have access to the washers, I need to have the pods to help make sure they don't use too much soap. So far nobody has used more than one pod at a time!

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

Funny, I buy that brand but in a giant tub from the Cost Club. I have to measure out a tablespoon, no smell, all natural, costs me 10c a load. The bucket holds 1100 wash loads. 

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

Nice. Next thing you have to learn is to cut down on the soap. I assume that this machine uses HE soap (which basically doesn't produce suds). Well, these machines are less effective if you put in too much soap, they extended the length of the wash if the water doesn't run clean, meaning having to rewash or rerinse the clothes to ensure that the soap is gone. So be very careful with the amount of soap that you do. Also it's more important to pretreat stains. They generally get a wash cleaner than before, but individual deep stains can use a little squirt to help them. 

Oh and the spin.... is really a spin! Gets more water out so that it takes less time to dry.

Now about that fridge, how old is it? Because very old fridges are so energy ineffecient that replacing them actually pays. But it depends on the age.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

All the appliances (except the electric stove circa 1952)  were  Feb 1995 when I came  - DH used an ice chest or the back porch in Jan until I came permanently in Feb.. That stove lasted 60 years. Thanks for the tip on soap.

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Check your owners manual first about what detergent to use. I don't recall it ever saying anything about using the pods.

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

EmptyNest wrote:

Check your owners manual first about what detergent to use. I don't recall it ever saying anything about using the pods.

The pods are just pouches of the same HE detergent you can get in power form. The wrapper dissolves the instant it gets wet, releasing the power. It's just a very convenient way to get the exact measured dose of HE detergent powder with no risk of getting too much. Lots of people don't measure, they just pour in what "seems" right, and they usually use too much that way.

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

And just last year you got a new kitchen range. You're going to have a new old house soon!

I bought Samsung front loaders and really like them. They take a long time to do a load, but are gentle, quiet, and do a great job.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Arkansawyer wrote:

And just last year you got a new kitchen range. You're going to have a new old house soon!

I bought Samsung front loaders and really like them. They take a long time to do a load, but are gentle, quiet, and do a great job.

And 2 years ago it was the dryer. I am praying the fridge holds up.

Innkeep's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/04/2008

Arkansawyer wrote:

I bought Samsung front loaders and really like them. They take a long time to do a load, but are gentle, quiet, and do a great job.

Have you tried laundering kleenex yet?

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Innkeep wrote:

Arkansawyer wrote:

I bought Samsung front loaders and really like them. They take a long time to do a load, but are gentle, quiet, and do a great job.

Have you tried laundering kleenex yet?

Not yet, but plan to try that one. It could save me a fortune as I find that women use a LOT of them!

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Innkeep wrote:

Arkansawyer wrote:

I bought Samsung front loaders and really like them. They take a long time to do a load, but are gentle, quiet, and do a great job.

Have you tried laundering kleenex yet?

My front loader washes tissues really well! It's the dryer that causes the problems!

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

A couple inches helps but I have a feeling I will also be standing on my head to empty it. It will be here to do the laundry after a full-house + cot & crib.

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

It hold a lot of stuff. Get ready for some weird noises and cute sounds.  Suggest you get the stainless steel/ wire mesh hoses for a good safety feature.

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

You will love it. That is what I just bought. The only thing is...the tub is so deep, I have to stand on tip toes to reach it to pull out the laundry Sad

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Already did.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.