Late season tiredness

25 replies [Last post]
Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Phone rings all night long this weekend. Doorbell rings even with no vacancy sign out. Last night bell rang and woke me up. The bell has to be answered as it might be a guest with a problem. Came out into the inn in my 'best' (ha ha) jammies. Instead of finding someone outside ringing the bell I found a stranger in the dining room. Someone had let the person in and walked off leaving her there. As I was opening the door to go into the inn I heard, 'I'm just a guest, you'll have to wait for someone.'

Shooed off the walk-in and went to tell guest not to let anyone in. Got this, 'Well, now that you're up...' Sigh.

Trying to catch up on some rest today from 1-3. Doorbell rings. I had the sign out (has not made a bleeping bit of difference today, bell ringing, guests pounding on the door, etc) so I ignored the doorbell. Then I hear someone say, 'I'm just a guest...' Yes, same person opened the door AGAIN and let strangers in. Now guests are in the house and pretty much standing on the doorbell. I have to make an appearance.

Told same guest, again, to not open the door. Not sure how many other ways I can say, 'Don't open the door!'

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Someone smoked in the room.

And guess what, it wasn't even their room! I am not pleased. I am pretty sure I know who it was, I have the windows open, ceiling fan on and sprayed Magic-Zymes in there.  We have someone coming to look at this B&B for sale at 3pm. That was the ONE room that was not occupied, we made it up yesterday, all 5 others checked out and have been kickin' BUTT around here to get this place in order for a showing... GRRRRR!

 

Yes the room was locked, but the key was on the door, not hidden.

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

OMG!!!!! Don't you just want to strangle some people! They are the ones that ruin for smokers who are considerate.

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

this is why im loony about keeping doors locked - guests are like monkeys they will go in and look in anything or anyplace they can given half a chance! but that is horrendous to smoke in there! grr

__________________

Don't mess with me today or I will kill you!!!!

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Joey Bloggs wrote:

Someone smoked in the room.

I have no words.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Madeleine wrote:

Joey Bloggs wrote:

Someone smoked in the room.

I have no words.

I always wonder when I hear them wandering around in the wee hours, it was raining...so why bother going outside...Flo-ree-duh!

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

First laugh of the day - we are cleaning rooms but we don't know who is in the house and who has gone out. We try to listen while we're cleaning to hear if anyone is around.

DH knocks on a door and there was a reply. DH asks if they need their room cleaned. They say, 'We're in bed!' DH HEARS, 'Just the bed,' and repeats that back to them. 'No, NO! We're IN bed,' they say. Dh says, 'I get it now,' and walks away.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Then get up this morning to find TWO extra guests have been added to a room designed for ONLY two guests.

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

you mean on the booking or appeared during the night?

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

camberleyhotelharrogate@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

you mean on the booking or appeared during the night?

During the night. Guest was already checked in for a couple of days and she brought in 2 more people overnight.

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

I hope you told her that the extra charge per extra guest beyond 2 is $500 each.

__________________

Permission to quote in whole or in part, other than usage on this forum, is entirely forbidden.

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Sugar Bear wrote:

I hope you told her that the extra charge per extra guest beyond 2 is $500 each.

Because I was serving brekkie I didn't say a thing. Now the car is gone and I am guessing so are they. Never even heard or saw them leave.

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

you mean completely gone? if so would be charging their card at least for 2 extra breakfasts and sending the receipt in the mail - they wouldn't get 2 free breakfasts at a hotel!

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

camberleyhotelharrogate@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

you mean completely gone? if so would be charging their card at least for 2 extra breakfasts and sending the receipt in the mail - they wouldn't get 2 free breakfasts at a hotel!

The extra people didn't eat. No one showered. It doesn't really look like they used anything other than the bed and the bathroom basics.

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

OMG!!! I CANNOT BELIEVE this happens to you. You attract them like a magnet!!! I would really be in her face telling her..do you know you could be letting in a mass murderer??

 

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

We had our wonderful 3 AM or was it 4? call from Oregon this morning. It felt like I had JUST gotten to sleep and then it was the try to get comfortable again as DH is almost immediately snoring in my ear.

Grateful I am not in a tourist town where people just walk in. Both doors wide open (storm door closed) and I get a knock on the back door - both in kitchen and the coffee roasters going so did not hear knock at front. He wanted a room for tonight (actually just needs the shower he has a semi with bed). Not certain what the situation is with my in-coming that has 2 kids so told him to check back later. If he does, I am going to give him the room. He was so respectful, I just may offer him the shower for $10 and re-clean the bathroom.

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

Mine was 12:20 AM. Are you a motel? Nope. Not a motel? Are you sure? Yes, I'm sure. Bye!

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

gillumhouse wrote:

We had our wonderful 3 AM or was it 4? call from Oregon this morning. It felt like I had JUST gotten to sleep and then it was the try to get comfortable again as DH is almost immediately snoring in my ear.

Every stinkin' morning for 2 weeks running. And, yes, it's between 1-3 AM. And it is a different number every time. I have blocked all of them and no longer answer ANY calls with 'Oregon' on the CID.

Offline
Joined:
09/16/2013

We have our house phone autoforward to my cell phone and thanks to the magic of "Do Not Disturb", my phone automatically shuts off for anyone not on my contact list between 9pm and 7:15am.

I call that period "My Time". Smiling

__________________

No, we're not the Ritz. If you want the Ritz, please stay at the Ritz.

 

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Madeleine wrote:

gillumhouse wrote:

We had our wonderful 3 AM or was it 4? call from Oregon this morning. It felt like I had JUST gotten to sleep and then it was the try to get comfortable again as DH is almost immediately snoring in my ear.

Every stinkin' morning for 2 weeks running. And, yes, it's between 1-3 AM. And it is a different number every time. I have blocked all of them and no longer answer ANY calls with 'Oregon' on the CID.

But it still disturbs the sleep

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

Caller ID.... great for calling back at 7AM in the morning Smiling Get them up and at it at the time I normally have to be up.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

It get a message - number not in service. Spoils the fun of the wake-up.

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

Doesn't it? Well, at least you tried.

Reminds me of the old day of faxing. My dad set up a fax sheet of blank paper in a circular roll so that when it came out of the fax machine, it rolled back in. Then set up a 3AM fax to a company that was junk faxing us. The next morning we got a call telling us that they were removing us from their junkfax list.... the entire roll of fax paper was in a big pile on the floor. Fax paper was expensive at the time, so this way he didn't ruin the paper, but it was annoying as hell to have to reroll it. They were generally over 500 ft long at the time.

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Sugar Bear wrote:

...it was annoying as hell to have to reroll it. They were generally over 500 ft long at the time.

That's what kids are for, I guess Smiling 

__________________

All saints can do miracles, but few of them can keep hotel. ~ Mark Twain

 

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Sugar Bear wrote:

Doesn't it? Well, at least you tried.

Reminds me of the old day of faxing. My dad set up a fax sheet of blank paper in a circular roll so that when it came out of the fax machine, it rolled back in. Then set up a 3AM fax to a company that was junk faxing us. The next morning we got a call telling us that they were removing us from their junkfax list.... the entire roll of fax paper was in a big pile on the floor. Fax paper was expensive at the time, so this way he didn't ruin the paper, but it was annoying as hell to have to reroll it. They were generally over 500 ft long at the time.

Love it!! Go Dad!!!

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

"Please note that you will be responsible for all thefts if you left anyone unauthorized into the B&B."

That's Greek for... you let them in, you buy me a new computer.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.