Fluffs

35 replies [Last post]
Willowpondgj's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/06/2008

What do you include in your fluff? What's the minimum one should include?

I'm thinking minimum:

Make bed
replace any wet towels that are not hung for re-use
empty trash
quick wipe of sink and toilet
replace any consumables: TP Tissue, soaps, etc.

wendydk's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/07/2009

I've always wondered about central a/c.  We have small quiet window units here, and every guest seems to like their temperature different.  One room is a stifling 90 when we go to clean, one freezes your nose hairs when you walk in and the other one is somewhere in between.

How do you keep everyone happy with centrail air?

__________________

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue and gives kisses freely and enthusiastically to everyone!

 

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

73F seems to be the magic A/C setting here as well.  That is what it's reading in the hallway in both houses, so the rooms are typically a few degrees cooler.  We have either ceiling fans or floor tower fans, extra blankets.  Guests can adjust the registers in the one story house.   The advantage of central A/C is that it is really quiet. 

OK...73F is at least 20 degrees cooler than the average outside ambient temp, so it should be comfortable.  We had some friends here recently who are large people and they like it very cold.  We had it cranked down to 68F.   As soon as they left, I adjusted it.  I was a popsicle when I re-freshed their room! 

__________________

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov

 

muirford's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Little Blue wrote:
How do you keep everyone happy with centrail air?

Not easily.  We have central air, two zones - one upstairs, one downstairs.  Window units are out since we are in a historic district.  We have settled on a temperature that seems to work best for almost everyone (73 degrees).  Those who are too cold can close, partially or fully, the vents in the room.  We also provide fans in each guest room so warmer guests can have circulating air. 

This year we finally put locking covers on the AC thermostats.  Why, you ask?  Because a guest cranked the upstairs thermostat down to 55 one night, causing the heat to kick on.  Warm air rises (to the upstairs thermostat), cold air falls (to the downstairs separate heat thermostat) and we were in a vicious heating/cooling cycle. 

__________________

Jeanne

There are no rules, just follow your heart. ~ Robin Williams

 

Cathy's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/18/2008

room fluffs .. we do the usual list.  We have to empty the bathroom garbage (you don't want to know why).  

We usually turn on fans when we leave the rooms during the hottest months as there is no air.  We do turn off the extra floor fans if they leave them on.

We do not have AC (yet) and wondered what you would do during the day if they left them on, but you have already answered that.  Electricity is very expensive here. 

The Farmers Daughter's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/15/2009

I tell my guests that chamber care is available between the hours of 11 and 2 and would you like your room freshened? If given the choice, many say no thanks and that save me time.

__________________

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.

 

Offline
Joined:
05/08/2009

We're pretty in line with what most everybody does.

For the campers though like the one we've had the last four days who has left the house or even his room maybe a grand TOTAL of a few hours, we're not here to tiptoe around somebody who:

a.) wants to use our place as a hideout 

b.) shuttled an entire SUVs worth of his life's belongings into the room and one can barely walk in there.

c.) needs his privacy and I mean a lot of it.

He's been harmless and friendly and has been totally satisfied with "Her Royal Highness's" efforts to accommodate his ultra othrodox Kosher diet, so we've snuck in there when we could and replaced towels, waters, linens, trash liners, glasses, etc.. One more night and we won't see him at all even for breakfast tomorrow because of the Sabbath.

There are a couple of reasons we rarely skip the fluff even when a guest asks us not to do it.

First, its our routine and despite people paying us, its our house and our belongings. And frankly, the guests most adamant about us not going in their room, usually are the ones we need to worry about the most. The super considerate and very clean folks all know they have nothing embarrassing to hide from us, and usually are B&B regulars, so they know the drill.

Yeah, I know some people are just being polite or a little protective of their privacy, but the room rate doesn't "BUY" them our furniture, linens or towels. It "RENTS" them to them for the length of their stay and they must be "RETURNED" to us in fairly good working order.

We've had too many of the "Oh, don't bother with my room" types be the ones slathering the massage oil on and crawling in bed, lighting dozens of candles and not caring where the molten wax went, using an amount of cologne, perfume or incense in the room that after several days of takes herculean efforts to remove the stench from before the room could be re-occupied. Or for lack of a more subtle description, some have had multiple very sloppy sexual encounters and thought nothing of sleeping in their own mess for a few days.

The time savings for me is less critical than the shock and awe of not doing it and then opening the door after they check out and seeing the disrespect they showed our place. We're not overbearing about it, but my hackles go up when I spot guests who can't or WON'T differentiate between a cheap motel room and what we're trying to offer here.

__________________

Tim@HLB

 

Willowpondgj's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/06/2008

Ok, went to fluff, computer on the bed. Do you make it? I did, but thought twice about it.

2nd room, king bed clear, made it... twin bed covered in clean piles of clothing, including undies, next to open suitcase. Passed.

WWYD?

YellowSocks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Willowpondgj wrote:

Ok, went to fluff, computer on the bed. Do you make it? I did, but thought twice about it.

2nd room, king bed clear, made it... twin bed covered in clean piles of clothing, including undies, next to open suitcase. Passed.

WWYD?

Ya know, I was just wondering the same thing today....

Had a bed with three clothing items in a stack... moved them to the other bed and started making it and found a book... put the book on the desk, made the bed, put the clothing stack back.  I'd say that's about as much moving as I've ever done, or ever plan to.  If they have more than that, I'm not making the bed.

Interesting book, though...

=)
Kk.

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Willowpondgj wrote:

Ok, went to fluff, computer on the bed. Do you make it? I did, but thought twice about it.

2nd room, king bed clear, made it... twin bed covered in clean piles of clothing, including undies, next to open suitcase. Passed.

WWYD?

I do move laptops to make the bed as long as there is a safe place to put them down. Sometimes they are on the floor near the bed, which makes it hard to get around to make the bed. Clothing in piles? Nope.

__________________

Never judge a person's story by the chapter you walked in on.

 

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

willow - i do what you do -- then i stand in the doorway and take a look.  if it looks neat and inviting, i'm set.  of course, if the guests have lots and lots of things all over, there isn't much i can do.

yesterday i went to fluff and there were panties (stretchy, silky, big - you know the kind) hung over all the curtain rods in the room.  and socks, too.  guest washed them in the tub or sink and hung them to dry. not hung in the bathroom, tho. i was wondering what kind of folding drying rack or something would be an alternative to having guests do this.

i agree with bree about the thermostat.  heat jacked up to 80 in three guest rooms with windows wide open.  i was away for a few days and discovered a room had been vacant for four days like this and the innsitter didn't notice.    it had been cleaned and the door closed. 

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Here's what I do for a freshen:

  1. Make bed or straighten (rarely have we had a bed that couldn't be made but if there is too much stuff on it, I leave it alone except to put pillows in shams & decorative pillows up & out of the way, if not done already)
  2. Empty all trash bins
  3. Remove wet/used towels & replace with fresh towels
  4. Wipe out sink & counter or shelf above sink
  5. Wipe out tub/shower, brush toilet if needed
  6. Vacuum if needed (mostly only done on longer stay)
  7. Replenish turndown chocolates, TP, tissues, and bath amenities as needed
  8. Change out flowers if needed
  9. Turn off lights, fans, adjust blinds & curtains if needed
  10. Change out pillowcases if stained; check bed linens & change if stained

 

trishany's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

Willowpond - ditto what you said.

We have door knob  signs -- "Please Clean" or "No Cleaning Necessary". 

Here is the percentage as best I can evaluate which is based on 236 couples:

% of guests placing "Please Clean" -  30%

% of guests placing "No Cleaning Necessary" - 60% 

% of guests who don't place ANY sign of the door knob - 10%. 

 

Offline
Joined:
06/15/2008

I would be very uncomfortable not to go in. Things grow on wet towels. I would rather wash them and put clean dry ones up than have them molding in the bathroom or on the floor. It feels good to get them right in the wash.

__________________

sandynn

 

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I only "Fluff" by request. I ask if they need maid service.

Offline
Joined:
06/23/2008

I do pretty much what the rest of you say you do. However, if I see guests will be returning after dark,  I turn a light on in the suite. The suites have separate entrances. I was told by one guest that it makes the return much warmer and inviting instead of coming into a dark room and, I think, it may be good for liability purposes too.

__________________

Vancouver Islander

 

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

vancouverislander wrote:

I do pretty much what the rest of you say you do. However, if I see guests will be returning after dark,  I turn a light on in the suite. The suites have separate entrances. I was told by one guest that it makes the return much warmer and inviting instead of coming into a dark room and, I think, it may be good for liability purposes too.

NIGHT LIGHTS BAYYYYYBEEEE!

Our rooms all have nightlights that are emergency lights, if the guest for some reason cannot find the light switch that is right inside the door.  They are lit if the room is dark as they are on sensors. 

__________________

"What the country needs is dirtier fingernails and cleaner minds." Will Rogers

 

Offline
Joined:
08/04/2008

vancouverislander wrote:

... I think, it may be good for liability purposes too.

And with what Socks had happen a little while ago, I probably wouldn't be a bad idea...

Socks, have you heard any more from those guests? Did you take photos and document things?

YellowSocks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

As far as fluffs, I'm exactly like JBJ, as far as I can tell.  Tidy the bed, check the trash, take towels from floor, replace candy, replace dirty glasses, only swipe surfaces that are in obvious need.  Lights generally off, although I do leave the blinds how they have them (usually).

emspiers wrote:

And with what Socks had happen a little while ago, I probably wouldn't be a bad idea...

Socks, have you heard any more from those guests? Did you take photos and document things?

No photos, and I haven't even remembered to call my agent.  I was at the Fair picking up my ribbons when they left, so I didn't even say goodbye to them.  They never asked for a refund or discount for only using one room instead of two, and I never offered.  If a bill shows up in the mail I'll probably pay it, but I don't think one will.  They were really nice guests and I felt so bad for them.

=)
Kk.

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I have the same theory on the turn down service.  As nice as it is to come back to turn down, I don't want to turn a bunch of lights on and have them waste energy when I have no idea when the guest will return.  I like turn down, but rarely do it here.

When I enter a room - lights all go off, ceiling fan goes off, bathroom fan goes off.  If blinds are all shut it is because it was dark adn they had the lights on and blinds down.  Now when I am in there it is daylight and there is lots ot see outside the windows.

Case in point - magnolia blooming outside this one room I just freshened.  I am not leaving the blinds closed.  They left early and just never opened them.

We have central a/c so I can't comment on that.  But if you turn it off or down completely the guests stuff melt.  I would have to leave it on a decent temp.  I have to do that in the cottage, or the flowers will wilt in 35 seconds.

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

It doesn't get that hot here. So, I'll take it from the winter perspective...I turn the heat down to 55-60 when I go into the room. There's no need for it to be 80 all day long. We have guests who stay in the room for 4 days, all day, and run the fireplace so the room stays a toasty 87 degrees.

NW BB's picture
Offline
Joined:
01/06/2009

Bree wrote:

It doesn't get that hot here. So, I'll take it from the winter perspective...I turn the heat down to 55-60 when I go into the room. There's no need for it to be 80 all day long. We have guests who stay in the room for 4 days, all day, and run the fireplace so the room stays a toasty 87 degrees.

Our health department says we can't have any guest area below 68 degrees.  So in your scenario, I would turn the heat down, but not to 55-60.

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

NW BB wrote:

Bree wrote:

It doesn't get that hot here. So, I'll take it from the winter perspective...I turn the heat down to 55-60 when I go into the room. There's no need for it to be 80 all day long. We have guests who stay in the room for 4 days, all day, and run the fireplace so the room stays a toasty 87 degrees.

Our health department says we can't have any guest area below 68 degrees.  So in your scenario, I would turn the heat down, but not to 55-60.

68??? I'd be broke in a week. The common rooms are down to 60 at night. We turn up the heat around 6:30 when hubs is making breakfast. Any unoccupied rooms are 55-60, but your heath dept couldn't argue with that, no one is in there! When I turn the heat down in an occupied guest room, it doesn't get back down to that temp very quickly. And the rooms heat up quickly. We used to turn the heat up around 1 PM for arrivals and spent too much money heating rooms no one was in, so we let the guest turn their own heat up and down when they arrive. Many don't use the heat at all. (Guests CAN adjust the temp in the common space via the wall-mounted thermostat, which we point out to them or by using the gas fireplace, so it's not like we WON'T let them turn the heat up!)

Do you have an upper limit on temp?

NW BB's picture
Offline
Joined:
01/06/2009

Bree wrote:

NW BB wrote:

Bree wrote:

It doesn't get that hot here. So, I'll take it from the winter perspective...I turn the heat down to 55-60 when I go into the room. There's no need for it to be 80 all day long. We have guests who stay in the room for 4 days, all day, and run the fireplace so the room stays a toasty 87 degrees.

Our health department says we can't have any guest area below 68 degrees.  So in your scenario, I would turn the heat down, but not to 55-60.

68??? I'd be broke in a week. The common rooms are down to 60 at night. We turn up the heat around 6:30 when hubs is making breakfast. Any unoccupied rooms are 55-60, but your heath dept couldn't argue with that, no one is in there! When I turn the heat down in an occupied guest room, it doesn't get back down to that temp very quickly. And the rooms heat up quickly. We used to turn the heat up around 1 PM for arrivals and spent too much money heating rooms no one was in, so we let the guest turn their own heat up and down when they arrive. Many don't use the heat at all. (Guests CAN adjust the temp in the common space via the wall-mounted thermostat, which we point out to them or by using the gas fireplace, so it's not like we WON'T let them turn the heat up!)

Do you have an upper limit on temp?

If there are no guests, I can let it get below 68 degrees. But I even had to argue with them about that!

We are on the coast, so most places don't even have air conditioning. I do supply each room with a standing oscillating fan if they want to cool it down or move the air around. A hot day for us would be 80 (no humidity) and it always cools down at night. As far as I know, the health dept doesn't have an upper temp cut off.

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

NW BB wrote:

If there are no guests, I can let it get below 68 degrees. But I even had to argue with them about that!

We are on the coast, so most places don't even have air conditioning. I do supply each room with a standing oscillating fan if they want to cool it down or move the air around. A hot day for us would be 80 (no humidity) and it always cools down at night. As far as I know, the health dept doesn't have an upper temp cut off.

We get a few 90 degree days here (and we had them in May, ha, ha) so we do have A/C units. Many guests won't open the windows or use the fan, they like the A/C. They can get the rooms down to 60 degrees if they try!

NW BB's picture
Offline
Joined:
01/06/2009

Bree wrote:

NW BB wrote:

 

If there are no guests, I can let it get below 68 degrees. But I even had to argue with them about that!

We are on the coast, so most places don't even have air conditioning. I do supply each room with a standing oscillating fan if they want to cool it down or move the air around. A hot day for us would be 80 (no humidity) and it always cools down at night. As far as I know, the health dept doesn't have an upper temp cut off.

We get a few 90 degree days here (and we had them in May, ha, ha) so we do have A/C units. Many guests won't open the windows or use the fan, they like the A/C. They can get the rooms down to 60 degrees if they try!

I've only had 1 guest complain about how hot their room was. They just wouldn't open their windows! Fortunately, most people in the NW love the fresh air and are so grateful for warm sunny days.

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

We're on our second sunny day in 3 weeks. Every window is open, the doors are open. It's about 72 outside. Let those breezes in!

Proud Texan's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Quote:

We are on the coast, so most places don't even have air conditioning. I do supply each room with a standing oscillating fan if they want to cool it down or move the air around. A hot day for us would be 80 (no humidity) and it always cools down at night. As far as I know, the health dept doesn't have an upper temp cut off.

     Can DW and I move in with you?   It has been 100 degrees all week long with high humidity.  It's supposed to be 102 tomorrow.  It's only June for crying out loud!

NW BB's picture
Offline
Joined:
01/06/2009

Proud Texan wrote:

Quote:

We are on the coast, so most places don't even have air conditioning. I do supply each room with a standing oscillating fan if they want to cool it down or move the air around. A hot day for us would be 80 (no humidity) and it always cools down at night. As far as I know, the health dept doesn't have an upper temp cut off.

     Can DW and I move in with you?   It has been 100 degrees all week long with high humidity.  It's supposed to be 102 tomorrow.  It's only June for crying out loud!

Come on over, we've got plenty of room! I don't know how any of you can take that humidity. I feel for you!  I just couldn't live with it like you do. After living in Los Angeles for 20+ years, I'd had enough of hot weather. Now all I have to do when I'm hot is open the window.

egoodell's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/01/2008

 We replace sodas, waters and wine glasses. Make beds and empty trash. I straighten towels. Refill soaps and chocolate if need be. I wipe the sink and that's it, unless something obvious needs to be cleaned up. If the a/c is blasting I dial it down to a normal level. No reason for it to be on all day when they're out.

Riki

__________________

Riki Goodell
Arcady Vineyard Bed & Breakfast
Arcady Vineyard Wine Tours
www.arcadyvineyard.com
Come! Let us show you the beautiful Monticello Appellation!

 

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Also - Making bed I do what others would do at turn down.  I put extra pillows and cover pillows in closet.  These are usually laying around the room from the bed time.

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

We are on overdrive here because hubs doesn't want anything building up in the bathrooms...so,

  • Make bed (replace any soiled linens)
  • Empty trash in bathroom & bedroom
  • Realign blinds on windows, open/close windows
  • Adjust thermostat, A/C
  • Entirely clean bathroom (wash sinks, mirrors, shower, toilet, floor), replace toilet paper as needed, ditto amenities & soaking wet towels (they just won't dry overnight)
  • Vacuum bathroom & bedroom

What I don't do is dust unless there is an obvious spill that needs attention.

 

IronGate's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/09/2008

Bree wrote:

We are on overdrive here because hubs doesn't want anything building up in the bathrooms...so,

  • Make bed (replace any soiled linens)
  • Empty trash in bathroom & bedroom
  • Realign blinds on windows, open/close windows
  • Adjust thermostat, A/C
  • Entirely clean bathroom (wash sinks, mirrors, shower, toilet, floor), replace toilet paper as needed, ditto amenities & soaking wet towels (they just won't dry overnight)
  • Vacuum bathroom & bedroom

What I don't do is dust unless there is an obvious spill that needs attention.

 

As a guest, I set the temperature, blinds, curtains, etc. in a way that makes me comfortable.  I would be really annoyed to find they had been changed after I had set them the way I wanted.

__________________

Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.

 

Offline
Joined:
05/08/2009

"As a guest, I set the temperature, blinds, curtains, etc. in a way that makes me comfortable.  I would be really annoyed to find they had been changed after I had set them the way I wanted."

I guess my reaction to that opinion as your innkeeper would depend on a few things like whether or not you set the A/C for 64 at 8am on your first morning of a five night stay and then went out right after breakfast and a nice 50 gallon hot shower then didn't come back unitl midnight. If I also found every light in the room on at 10am when I went to fluff the room after you left, upon your return after the second or third day of that routine, I would try to lightheartedly appeal to your sense of social responsibility.

Nobody is suggesting that we should be limiting a guest's desire to have their room the way they want it when they are in it. But as beings sharing an increasingly smaller and more environmentally challenged planet, its not unreasonable to expect a little cooperation from our guests to help us lower our carbon footprint and such.

Our house is oriented east to west and is a long rectangle in a place that gets 325 days of sun every year and about 10 inches of precipitation. Our rooms on the south face of the house have little ramadas built over the french doors, but if the blinds are left open all day during the summer months, a guest can expect a hot, stuffy room when they return.

Its great in the winter because we get some awesome passive solar gain.

We've never had anybody snub our advice and prefer to return to a hot, stuffy room in the summer just so things in the room were left exactly like they left them when leaving for the day.

Eco-tourism and socially responsible consumerism are two of the fastest growing trends in the developed world, so its not like this stuff is totally foreign to most travelers.

In this current economic climate with more and more bargain hunters, last minute bookings demanding large discounts and our costs going up, I'm afraid some of us do have to draw a few lines on "business as usual" where the guest is right 110% of the time and we all cower in a corner and take it with no recourse. A gentle, friendly nudge to work with us just a little is not asking too much.

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

As the innkeeper, I adjust it to save money. If you walked out of your room and 'mistakenly' left the heat on and the windows open and it's 35 degrees, I am not heating the outdoors so you can have your 'preferred' temperature when you return. Ditto leaving the blinds at odd angles that make my house look, from the outside, like a madwoman lives here. (From the inside, we already know she lives here.)

My take is that the guest can readjust whatever they want when they return 10 hours later. Including turning every blasted light in the room back on.

Unless you have mentioned you're allergic to fresh air, you're getting fresh air in the summer, you are not running the A/C 24x7.

What I won't do is put the blinds up if your luggage is piled in front of the window or I have to climb over anything to get to the windows. (Exception being the odd angles, those are getting fixed no matter what obstacles are in my way.) Yes, this an obsession. We used to have blinds on our 5 huge picture windows across the front of the house. When I came home from a walk one day, hubs had aligned those 5 blinds to look like steps from the street, one just a little lower than the other all the way across the 24' span. I laughed, but I knew he was picking on me.

 

 

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Exactly what you wrote, and if it needs a quick vaccum I will do that.  I don't clean sink, toilet, shower unless it looks like it needs it, or they are here more than one or two nights.  Replace bath mat if wet or more than one night, replace chocolates.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.