After check-in intro and walk thru, what are the top logistical questions you are asked? (use other to extrapolate)

29 replies [Last post]
Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008
What is the WIFI password?
45% (10 votes)
What time is breakfast?
0% (0 votes)
Where can we eat?
32% (7 votes)
Other
23% (5 votes)
Total votes: 22

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Offline
Joined:
06/24/2008

Ha, I had to go back and change my vote... I thought 'Where can we eat' meant where in the B&B can they eat.  blush

Dining is the #1 question after my blah, blah - which I have cut down to the bone, pointing to the little tent to provide reminders, wifi pwd etc.  I have decided that I have been wasting my breath all these years.  I do tell them, point where/time breakfast is but 9/10 of them were asking me again... now they have the reminder.  I still have the binder with all that info and more in the top dresser drawer but just tell guests if they want more info, there it is. 

With our private area being on the 3rd floor, my way to tell people we live here is to say 'if you hear movement above you, it is us, not our resident ghost'.   This either gets a laugh or BIG eyes and then asking if we do have ghosts.

Offline
Joined:
09/26/2011

1.  "Where is the bathroom?"

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

We get that - "ive booked ensuite where is the bathroom" - feel like saying from where you are stood there are only 2 doors and you came through one of them.

Did have a chap once who on check out said "you didn't tell us how to open the windows " they are sliding sash and go up and down, thought it was pretty self explanatory!

__________________

Don't mess with me today or I will kill you!!!!

 

Silverspoon's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/16/2011

I bet he thought the bathroom was IN the suite, not adjacent to the suite.  He should have had a big smile on his face when he realized that he would have the privacy of a separate adjoining bathroom!  

__________________

Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade.
Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

camberleyhotelharrogate@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

We get that - "ive booked ensuite where is the bathroom" - feel like saying from where you are stood there are only 2 doors and you came through one of them.

!! It is like we have tricked them into a shared bath! ah ha! 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Joey Bloggs wrote:

camberleyhotelharrogate@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

We get that - "ive booked ensuite where is the bathroom" - feel like saying from where you are stood there are only 2 doors and you came through one of them.

!! It is like we have tricked them into a shared bath! ah ha! 

Or, when they DO have the exterior bath and they open the closet door and get that weird look, 'Where's the bathroom?'

BTW, our bathroom doors (except the detached) all have a cute, decorative 'bath' plaque.

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Depending on when they arrived (early evening of keeping me out of bed late) food is usually first. Then Wifi password after asking IF we have wifi. I honestly have to think about it as it does not register with me the questions I get asked - the food one does so that must be one of the first. I am the one asking them about breakfast time - I ask them to tell me before the turn in for the night, what time they want breakfast.

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

How long have you been here is the most popular at the moment which personally I consider none of their business, feel however it comes from us being a bit younger and puts them at ease we know what we are doing.

Offline
Joined:
03/11/2009

What is offered for bfast tomorrow ? Everything else is usually covered when they check in unless its a self check in (very late). Which I find guest lose a lot of value to their stay with a late check in. My Confirmation covers lots but not small stuff, like coffee machine, hot tub, etc. etc.

__________________

Mary in Virginia

 

OnTheShore's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/28/2011

Keys? -- "Oh yeah, you will find the keys hanging a on hook just inside the door to your cottage, should you feel a need to lock up."

Where can we shop for groceries? -- Their GPS system routed them to us via a "back road" so they haven't been through the town and they think we're out in the middle of no-where. We hand them copies of two local maps that we have and point out where the store is (less than 2 miles from us).

Where can we go for dinner? -- as above, or they're seeking a restaurant recommendation ... we usually direct them to a popular place that is just around the corner, but point out there is a wide selection of restaurants in town.

__________________

"where even time relaxes...."

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Harborfields wrote:

Keys? -- "Oh yeah, you will find the keys hanging a on hook just inside the door to your cottage, should you feel a need to lock up."

Where can we shop for groceries? -- Their GPS system routed them to us via a "back road" so they haven't been through the town and they think we're out in the middle of no-where. We hand them copies of two local maps that we have and point out where the store is (less than 2 miles from us).

Where can we go for dinner? -- as above, or they're seeking a restaurant recommendation ... we usually direct them to a popular place that is just around the corner, but point out there is a wide selection of restaurants in town.

For us here (with our mostly one or two nighters), vs a weekly stay...

Stayed at a cabin this week and the things I would want to know (which are in the binder there) for cabin guests: Grocery stores, pharmacy, movie theatres, post office, bank, gas stations, variety of restaurants, where to go on a trail ride, other outdoor OFF park activities, where to buy a fishing license, tackle & gear. Distance to these is super helpful.

So I suppose for those I guess saw our stuffmart and more, maybe I need to list that there as well...oh and ABC stores or where to buy grog!

Thank you! Good info,

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Phone chargers. Another one we get asked for a lot. Where can they buy one? We have a drawerful but they are older models.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Other: most of those questions get asked before they even sign in! The WiFi pw one I find excessively rude because they are on the phone when they ask and I know as soon as they connect I've lost them. So I don't tell them. Until after I've got everything I need.

So, generally, in order and mostly before I even start my spiel:

  1. If they are on the phone - what's the pw for the WiFi? If they are not on the phone - do you have WiFi?
  2. Where's breakfast? (We're standing in a dining room with 4 tables mind you)
  3. What time is breakfast?
  4. Where should we eat dinner?
  5. Where's the downtown? Can we walk?
  6. What time do the stores close?
  7. Where's the room? (This obviously when I have taken too long to explain things.)

I think, judging by other comments, WiFi is an absolute must!

 

Offline
Joined:
01/12/2013

The first questions posed to me always seem to be personal:  How long have you been doing this?  Was this a family home?  Do you do this by yourself?  Do you live in the house?

I'm guessing that I do a pretty good job of covering all the basics (breakfast time, wi-fi, city maps, etc) that they can't think of anything to ask me, so they fill the void (usually while I'm running their credit card) with questions of a personal nature. Now there are those that won't allow me to do my little spiel, and they bombard me with questions before I can get a word out of my mouth, and those are always questions that will assist them with their stay.  If they'd just relax and give me a minute, I'll usually cover it.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

I wrote LOGISTICAL in the poll subject, not personal questions, but LOGISTICS as a guest staying with you.

I am asking, as I sort my Guest Check in List I put in each room...I moved a few things around, thinking maybe LASTLY should be the check OUT info...at the end...

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Joey Bloggs wrote:

I wrote LOGISTICAL in the poll subject, not personal questions, but LOGISTICS as a guest staying with you.

I am asking, as I sort my Guest Check in List I put in each room...I moved a few things around, thinking maybe LASTLY should be the check OUT info...at the end...

I would put the most asked stuff at the bottom. The least asked but maybe more important at the top. ie - check-out time! That seems to be the big thing we can't get guests to understand. OK, not understand, abide by.

Offline
Joined:
01/12/2013

Joey Bloggs wrote:

I wrote LOGISTICAL in the poll subject, not personal questions, but LOGISTICS as a guest staying with you.

Oh, sorry Sad  Lemme google "logistical" and I'll get back to you Smiling

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

BananaE29 wrote:

Joey Bloggs wrote:

I wrote LOGISTICAL in the poll subject, not personal questions, but LOGISTICS as a guest staying with you.

Oh, sorry Sad  Lemme google "logistical" and I'll get back to you Smiling

Actually do you live here is sometimes logistical. I have found many guests who stay at an "unattended" B&B and got freaked out about it.

Should this be something that is shared at check in? I believe so. I guess I rarely think about it since we DO live here, ball and chained to it. haha

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Joey Bloggs wrote:

BananaE29 wrote:

Joey Bloggs wrote:

I wrote LOGISTICAL in the poll subject, not personal questions, but LOGISTICS as a guest staying with you.

Oh, sorry Sad  Lemme google "logistical" and I'll get back to you Smiling

Actually do you live here is sometimes logistical. I have found many guests who stay at an "unattended" B&B and got freaked out about it.

Should this be something that is shared at check in? I believe so. I guess I rarely think about it since we DO live here, ball and chained to it. haha

I tell them we live on the property, but not in the main house and I tell them which building is our house and the best way to get a hold of us is to phone us (landlines are provided). I also tell them that our goal is to give them personal/alone time, but never hesitate to call us if they have a question or anything we can help with. We're here to help.

 

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

I wish I had a 'self-contained' but attached apt. I still have to do laundry in the inn washing machine so I'm always wandering around. Never sure if I should acknowledge guests when I see them or leave them be.

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Madeleine wrote:

I wish I had a 'self-contained' but attached apt. I still have to do laundry in the inn washing machine so I'm always wandering around. Never sure if I should acknowledge guests when I see them or leave them be.

It's so funny how different properties will have totally opposite problems. For me, sometimes I have to make an effort to let the guest know I'm around. If I haven't seen them except for check-in and they're a multi night stay, I'll sometimes walk from my house to the main house when I know they're in the parking area just so I can wave at them and ask if they're doing ok!

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

The only real reason I have to go into the inn 'after hours' is the laundry, horrendously loud crashing noises or to check on the status of the water in the coffee machine. I do have a complete house to myself, just no laundry room.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Madeleine wrote:

The only real reason I have to go into the inn 'after hours' is the laundry, horrendously loud crashing noises or to check on the status of the water in the coffee machine. I do have a complete house to myself, just no laundry room.

OMG! Thank you for reminding me - I have to move washer to dryer to start the next load. Fell asleep in my chair.

TheBeachHouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/24/2013

We check on breakfast frequently to give people a chance to engage us in conversation or not - their call.   Or we'll have coffee in the Inn dining room.  People often join us.

__________________

TBH

 

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

TheBeachHouse wrote:

We check on breakfast frequently to give people a chance to engage us in conversation or not - their call.   Or we'll have coffee in the Inn dining room.  People often join us.

That's a great way to do it, but we can't. We deliver breakfast and beverages outside their door, knock and run away. I often won't see our guests at all unless I make an effort to. We're the b&b for people who don't want to be social.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Breakfast Diva wrote:

TheBeachHouse wrote:

We check on breakfast frequently to give people a chance to engage us in conversation or not - their call.   Or we'll have coffee in the Inn dining room.  People often join us.

That's a great way to do it, but we can't. We deliver breakfast and beverages outside their door, knock and run away. I often won't see our guests at all unless I make an effort to. We're the b&b for people who don't want to be social.

For those who boast about being non doily, perhaps you can boast "Anti-social B&B"...haha 

or social with the one you love, only. heart

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

I actually do that a little bit JB! In some materials and certain places online I say we're the b&b for people who've always wanted to stay at a b&b but didn't want the social breakfast. Amenities of a b&b, privacy of a hotel. enlightened

Offline
Joined:
01/12/2013

It is actually part of my spiel -as I hand them the keys, I say "I do live here, but am not here 24/7 - if you need to reach me, this is my cell number (on a plastic thingy on the keys).  It's always in my pocket". This puts them at ease and allows me to hide in my quarters if I have to!

I think it is something that should be shared at check in. It seems to put their minds at ease.

dumitru's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/07/2013

As a customer, I always ask about WiFi.
Breakfast is tomorrow, enough time to figure it out.
Using a smartphone (+WiFi) it takes a minute to find X places to eat, with reviews and all.

So my priority is always the Internet.

__________________

https://www.hermesthemes.com/ - WordPress Themes for Independent Hotels, Inns and B&Bs

 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.