Website layout/navigation for multiple packages

16 replies [Last post]
Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

I'm re-doing my website and struggling with a user-friendly way to list packages.

We offer many (about 10 total) that fall within 3-4 categories (seasonal, etc). They are all two-night packages, not add-ons, so the description and inclusions can get lengthy. This means having them all in one looooonnnnng page is just too much.

Should I have one page with a teaser that links to a separate page for each package? Separate pages for each category? All one one page using an accordion widget or tabs widget?

Any suggestions welcome. If you could include a link to a site you think does it well, that would be great!

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Thanks everyone! I think I'll try to work out a hybrid. Mine are long like Maddie's and numerous like the one El posted.

I didn't really want to do one page per package but maybe that's me being lazy and not so much about the visitor experience.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

happyjacks wrote:

Thanks everyone! I think I'll try to work out a hybrid. Mine are long like Maddie's and numerous like the one El posted.

I didn't really want to do one page per package but maybe that's me being lazy and not so much about the visitor experience.

You want to optimize each of those new pages for 'long tail' SEO! Yes, it's a bit more initial work but it keeps working for you year round and never asks for a raise!

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Ok, so you put up a term some may not know. Here is a link that might help others.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

EmptyNest wrote:

Ok, so you put up a term some may not know. Here is a link that might help others.

Everyone hasn't learned that one yet? Sorry, I used to hate when someone pulled jargon on me, too. Sad

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Are you using Wordpress?

If you have a tabs or accordion option shortcode, that would be the best way to do it.  Don't waste people's time having them scroll down and down looking for something.

Here's an example of one site I did.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

I need to do this as well. I am outa control in this department. crying

What is the tab called, a table? Can you shoot me a link to that?

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Joey Bloggs wrote:

I need to do this as well. I am outa control in this department. crying

What is the tab called, a table? Can you shoot me a link to that?

THANK YOU. 

I am working on it now.

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Looking good but can you make the grey tabs a different color? They don't stand out as much in grey. Maybe a little direction on "choose from our special packages below." or something like that.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

EmptyNest wrote:

Looking good but can you make the grey tabs a different color? They don't stand out as much in grey. Maybe a little direction on "choose from our special packages below." or something like that.

I also added a photo gallery of random photos - which is responsive and works great on the iPad. I need to work out how to add the tab colors next. 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Looks good so far.

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I can't remember if Colorway offers the tab or accordion option or not. You can download a plugin Easy Shortcodes  or Shortcodes Ultimate which would work for you.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

HJ- Take a look at my site to see how they are laid out. Firstly, there is a page with all the packages sorted by tabs that look like a 3x5 card on the page. Then, each one has its own page in a drop down menu.

You can sort them by season on the '3x5 tabs' and then link that to a full page spread for each one.

Really, it cleaned my packages page up tremendously! It's all 'above the fold' now.

I sorted the restaurant page out into 'in town' and 'north of town' and 'south of town' (rather than by ethnicity). 

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Someday, you may want to create a separate tab section on your restaurant page and put the ones in walking distance from the inn into categories by price range or types of restaurant. Then folks won't have to scroll as much Smiling

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

EmptyNest wrote:

Someday, you may want to create a separate tab section on your restaurant page and put the ones in walking distance from the inn into categories by price range or types of restaurant. Then folks won't have to scroll as much Smiling

99% of the 'in town' ones are walking distance. Prices and type of restaurant? No, too much work. It's more to show there are a lot of places to eat than to hand hold. Eye-wink

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

PS I like that the package can be added to... and it doesn't include the room in the package. I wonder if I should go that way too? 

Question for you and the innkeepers at the inn you linked here, why the two day min stay for the packages? Is this logistics, or? I am thinking for example the birthday cake and mugs can be added onto a 1 night stay (yes you know us by now, we have so many one night stays, esp for special occasions)

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Joey Bloggs wrote:

 

Question for you and the innkeepers at the inn you linked here, why the two day min stay for the packages? Is this logistics, or? I am thinking for example the birthday cake and mugs can be added onto a 1 night stay (yes you know us by now, we have so many one night stays, esp for special occasions)

For me it is because it's not worth it for me to run all over town for all of the pieces for a package for one night. AND because a lot of the pieces of the pkgs are close to what I pay for the components so I only make money if they stay another night.

BIG ex is the add on for the 'romance' - that add on costs me what it costs the guests. I make zip on that one. $45. Yes, it costs that much to get flowers and candy around here. I would rather do that as a pkg instead of an add on but it never works out. The cheese tray is even worse. I usually LOSE money on that one. (But I get a lot of leftover cheese I can eat!)

So that's why I try to pull it into a pkg instead of an add on.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.