Paper towel costs

18 replies [Last post]
Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

If you use a lot of paper towels you might be interested.

For years my sister has used paper napkins (the cheap kind) for things for which I normally use paper towels or Kleenex. I always fuss, as I'm the sort who likes everything in its place, and napkins are for meal time, Kleenex are for noses, and paper towels for for cleaning up spills and such.

I finally got around to doing a cost comparison. I didn't dig deeply. I know there are different brands, different qualities, different sheet sizes of all three paper items. I just worked out the cost per sheet for a regular Bounty paper towel, a single Kleenex brand tissue, and a generic brand of cheap dinner napkins.

It turns out you can use three Kleenex, or FOUR napkins, for the cost of one paper towel. So I may put a stack of napkins in my cleaning bucket instead of the roll of paper towels I carry around now.

__________________

All saints can do miracles, but few of them can keep hotel. ~ Mark Twain

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Yes I have a Sonicare and highly recommend it. I learned on the first day to turn the thing off before removing it from my mouth!

And if the spattering only comes from electric toothbrushes, then 100% of my guests are using them, because I always have to clean it off the mirrors.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Arks wrote:

Yes I have a Sonicare and highly recommend it. I learned on the first day to turn the thing off before removing it from my mouth!

And if the spattering only comes from electric toothbrushes, then 100% of my guests are using them, because I always have to clean it off the mirrors.

Are you sure it's not from flossing then? And good for your guests that they're flossing so regularly!!!

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Arks wrote:

Yes I have a Sonicare and highly recommend it. I learned on the first day to turn the thing off before removing it from my mouth!

And if the spattering only comes from electric toothbrushes, then 100% of my guests are using them, because I always have to clean it off the mirrors.

I often wonder if people are manually brushing and then lean forward to pop a zit or something. cool

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

After two weeks of no TV I am watching it right now and it is extreme cheapskates and the dude says paper towels are reusable. So he rinses them gently and hangs them on a kitchen clothesline to dry out, for reuse.

Gee see all I have missed with no TV...ugh

Innkeep's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/04/2008

Y'all shouldn't be too hard on Arks.  He's just now learning what comes natural to us women folk smiley

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Innkeep wrote:

Y'all shouldn't be too hard on Arks.  He's just now learning what comes natural to us women folk smiley

You mean being thrifty? cool

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

If he's buying Bounty, he's not so thrifty! wink

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Breakfast Diva wrote:

If he's buying Bounty, he's not so thrifty! wink

NOT buying Bounty. They were just the first thing I saw at Walmart when I checked prices for my price study. I get the cheap paper towels,  and make sure they are perforated to give half the size of a normal sheet.

I do use paper towels a lot for cleaning, but there's a reason. I have apartments with furnished kitchens, and that includes paper towels. Since most of my guests stay 2 or more nights, and use the kitchens, I end up with a lot of rolls of paper towels with just 1/3 roll left, so I use the remainder for cleaning. But I also have my trusty dust rags and cleaning rags.

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

if you are cleaning windows or mirrors, use old newspapers.  Cheap napkins leave lots of paper lint.

Silverspoon's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/16/2011

Can't beat a squeegee for windows and mirrors.  Just wipe around the edges with a clean  rag after swiping the class dry. No lint, no black hands, and no streaks.  And no paper towels needed.

__________________

Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade.
Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)

 

Skamokawa's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/24/2008

yes

__________________

Twin Gables Inn
On the Lower Columbia Water Trail

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Silverspoon wrote:

Can't beat a squeegee for windows and mirrors.

Speaking of mirrors, what's with people who can't spit into a sink without spattering the mirror with toothpaste?

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Arks wrote:

Silverspoon wrote:

Can't beat a squeegee for windows and mirrors.

Speaking of mirrors, what's with people who can't spit into a sink without spattering the mirror with toothpaste?

Electric toothbrush...

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Madeleine wrote:

Arks wrote:

Silverspoon wrote:

Can't beat a squeegee for windows and mirrors.

Speaking of mirrors, what's with people who can't spit into a sink without spattering the mirror with toothpaste?

Electric toothbrush...

As I leaned over with my sonicare this morning I thought about this post. If you smile when you brush then it splatters. Smiling

Offline
Joined:
06/24/2008

EmptyNest wrote:

if you are cleaning windows or mirrors, use old newspapers.  Cheap napkins leave lots of paper lint.

or coffee filters which do not seem to leave black marks on hands. 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Arks wrote:

If you use a lot of paper towels you might be interested.

For years my sister has used paper napkins (the cheap kind) for things for which I normally use paper towels or Kleenex. I always fuss, as I'm the sort who likes everything in its place, and napkins are for meal time, Kleenex are for noses, and paper towels for for cleaning up spills and such.

I finally got around to doing a cost comparison. I didn't dig deeply. I know there are different brands, different qualities, different sheet sizes of all three paper items. I just worked out the cost per sheet for a regular Bounty paper towel, a single Kleenex brand tissue, and a generic brand of cheap dinner napkins.

It turns out you can use three Kleenex, or FOUR napkins, for the cost of one paper towel. So I may put a stack of napkins in my cleaning bucket instead of the roll of paper towels I carry around now.

and better yet, McDee's gives them away free... ha ha!

egoodell's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/01/2008

We use old small towels for cleaning. Old washcloths for in the kitchen. Cheaper and greener.

Riki

__________________

Riki Goodell
Arcady Vineyard Bed & Breakfast
Arcady Vineyard Wine Tours
www.arcadyvineyard.com
Come! Let us show you the beautiful Monticello Appellation!

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

You really want to save on the paper towels? Use rags for cleaning. Cut up pillowcases work well. Old facecloths work well for when you have to dry something like the shower. Then you toss them in the wash and reuse. Have a bag of them so you can swap out as you go.

You'll find the difference in the price of paper goods translates into how well they hold up under duress. You don't expect to reuse tissues too many times or napkins at all. DH washes the floor with paper towels, would not even think to do that with napkins or tissues.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.