Something else I saw on Google today...

13 replies [Last post]
Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

I see Google now shares OTHER searches on the page when we search for our own B&B... pic.twitter.com/sOdJMgZ2pJ (click image and look at right side bottom)

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Anybody else seeing something like this?

I Googled my place. At the top of the search was a TA ad for my place which looked like this at the top:

"My Place", My Town - TripAdvisor.com‎
www.tripadvisor.com/‎
3.5 stars - 36 reviews for tripadvisor.com

I didn't know what that "3.5 stars - 36 reviews" was about because so far I only have 6 TA reviews, and all are 5 stars.

So I clicked on 36 reviews and it took me to https://www.google.com/shopping/seller?q=tripadvisor.com&hl=en which brings up something called "TrustPilot" where there are 36 reviews FOR TA, not for my place. It's people rating TA.

Why does this come up on TA's Google ad? It makes it look like I'm the one with only 3.5 stars!!

__________________

All saints can do miracles, but few of them can keep hotel. ~ Mark Twain

 

Innkeep's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/04/2008

I think there are stars and there are bubbles.  The stars tell people what to expect in the way of amenities, etc, sort of like how the old AAA guide books did it.  The bubbles are actual reviews.

Still wouldn't explain why/how TA reviews of TA would show up.  I hope you take advantage and leave your own review of TA

cool

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

BTW, recently G+ began allowing you to claim a custom URL for your G+ posts, so you can link to your G+ page with something like...

plus.google.com/+MyInn/posts

rather than something like...

plus.google.com/b/113746735900254192919/+MyInn/posts

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

YES!

But it still shows the numbers on some posts/pages, not sure why

https://plus.google.com/+ClaiborneHouseBedandBreakfastRockyMount/posts

 

Like this https://plus.google.com/b/117670063512873198778/+ClaiborneHouseBedandBreakfastRockyMount/about

you can also add OFFERS to g+ they will show in google, which is good. I did that last year and had no clicks or takers...but it is THERE. 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

I swear I have a bald twin in Britain. - JB

 

Right now, Google is showing your prospective customers the details of all your competitors – including those competitors who charge less than you.

So, your prospective customers now know you’re not the lowest priced provider. The question is: How do you plan to convince them that you’re worth the extra money?

Read it here from Jim Connolly.

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Joey Bloggs wrote:

Read it here from Jim Connolly.

I've always enjoyed the quotes and articles you highlight by Jim Connolly. I only recently realized he's saying it all with a British accent, so he suddenly became even wiser and more sensible in my estimation!

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Arks wrote:

Joey Bloggs wrote:

Read it here from Jim Connolly.

I've always enjoyed the quotes and articles you highlight by Jim Connolly. I only recently realized he's saying it all with a British accent, so he suddenly became even wiser and more sensible in my estimation!

YES! Especially given the fact that the majority in our industry over the pond do not get any of this. Yes I am speaking to you all...over there. Smiling Jim is strides ahead of anyone in the U.K. The majority are still link-farming!

This is a shout out to anyone in the UK who is not maximizing their images on their website...Or not posting unique posts on all social media, just "sharing" which does nothing for your own business SEO wise. Follow JIM C, he has great info.

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Another reason to have a G+ page and to POST to it. See on JB's pic, right above the pictures of the other b&bs is "Recent Posts". THAT's where your G+ post will be seen. No imagine if that post said something like "Our award winning b&b has the perfect romantic getaway for you". Another opportunity to make your place look as special as it is!

Arks, I just took a look at what pops up in my search and there are b&bs there that do not have a verified G+ page. But if they click on a G+ page that does not have good info, they'll more than likely go someplace else. I'm also thinking that on those G+ posts, I'm going to put a link to my website in the post. I find it difficult in the G+ pages to get to the actual website, so now that I look at it, I'm going to make it easier for people!

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Breakfast Diva wrote:

I'm also thinking that on those G+ posts, I'm going to put a link to my website in the post. I find it difficult in the G+ pages to get to the actual website, so now that I look at it, I'm going to make it easier for people!

Great idea! At least until they start stripping out URLs the way TA does.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Breakfast Diva wrote:

Another reason to have a G+ page and to POST to it. See on JB's pic, right above the pictures of the other b&bs is "Recent Posts". THAT's where your G+ post will be seen. No imagine if that post said something like "Our award winning b&b has the perfect romantic getaway for you". Another opportunity to make your place look as special as it is!

Arks, I just took a look at what pops up in my search and there are b&bs there that do not have a verified G+ page. But if they click on a G+ page that does not have good info, they'll more than likely go someplace else. I'm also thinking that on those G+ posts, I'm going to put a link to my website in the post. I find it difficult in the G+ pages to get to the actual website, so now that I look at it, I'm going to make it easier for people!

Yes, almost every time, it is worth doing. It is the same on Pinterest. Have you noticed how many will post without a url and you WANT to click on it but there is nothing there. You can even have a standard drill cut n paste that you just plop on it each time.

Sometimes I will do it toward the blog, sometimes toward our FB page, sometimes (moreso) the website. Just to mix it up and spread the love around...

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

I'll bet they only plug other businesses if they are on G+

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

"Oh you really meant Black Lantern Inn" -Google

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Oh aren't they helpful! As long as you are searching, can we talk you into picking one of these others instead of the one you searched for. Wonder what tomorrow will bring. They spring something new every day.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.