Do You Wear Gloves When You Touch Linens?

33 replies [Last post]
Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010
Always
0% (0 votes)
Sometimes
11% (3 votes)
Never. You've got to be kidding.
89% (25 votes)
Total votes: 28

__________________

All saints can do miracles, but few of them can keep hotel. ~ Mark Twain

 

Proud Texan's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

DW does the linens and I nuke clean the bathrooms.  Problem solved.

Common sense would dictate that one clean in a sequence to not cross-contaminate what is or has previously been cleaned.  

Why in God's name would you still be wearing the gloves you use while cleaning the toilet to change bed linens?  That's idiotic.

 

 

Offline
Joined:
04/21/2013

Having worked in restaurants forever, many people see plastic gloves as "magic" and use them instead of handwashing. (Really gloves keep your hands from feeling dirty so many people just forget about washing.) I have seen people try to wear the same pair for an entire shift including bathroom breaks.

You know what they say about common sense...

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

sachi3679 wrote:
Having worked in restaurants forever, many people see plastic gloves as "magic" and use them instead of handwashing. (Really gloves keep your hands from feeling dirty so many people just forget about washing.) I have seen people try to wear the same pair for an entire shift including bathroom breaks. You know what they say about common sense...

Our health dept requires we wear gloves to prep raw foods. It requires we have a sink to wash our hands. It does not require we take those gloves off to do anything else.

But, you know how it is, you get used to the gloves, forget they're on and then realize you're handling the coffee carafe!

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Offline
Joined:
04/21/2013

Yes that is why I prefer bare hands. You know when you need to wash. I'm surprised they don't cover when to change gloves. Standard is every 2 hours or between every task change.

I used to work in restaurants, now work in grocery stores. I pretty much need to just grow all my own food at this point because it is all ruined for me Smiling

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

sachi3679 wrote:
Having worked in restaurants forever, many people see plastic gloves as "magic" and use them instead of handwashing. (Really gloves keep your hands from feeling dirty so many people just forget about washing.) I have seen people try to wear the same pair for an entire shift including bathroom breaks. You know what they say about common sense...

THIS is the kind of info that makes me beg people to NOT write a book about being an innkeeper. I have seen several about being a waitress/waiter and it took me a while to go to a restaurant again.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

sachi3679 wrote:
Having worked in restaurants forever, many people see plastic gloves as "magic" and use them instead of handwashing. (Really gloves keep your hands from feeling dirty so many people just forget about washing.) I have seen people try to wear the same pair for an entire shift including bathroom breaks. You know what they say about common sense...

THIS is the kind of info that makes me beg people to NOT write a book about being an innkeeper. I have seen several about being a waitress/waiter and it took me a while to go to a restaurant again.

Offline
Joined:
06/24/2008

Anthony on HI was not thinking.  As someone else said, they will just clean the bathroom and make the bed in the same gloves! 

The SMART suggestion is to say ALWAYS wash your hands after cleaning the bathroom.  Then it would not matter if gloves were used or not. 

My usual cleaning routine is to remove all trash and linens, clean bathrooms, dust, then bring in fresh linens and make bed, final is vacuum.  I usually leave the doors open while cleaning an occupied room; if it is empty and other guests are around, I do shut the door. 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

copperhead wrote:

The SMART suggestion is to say ALWAYS wash your hands after cleaning the bathroom.  Then it would not matter if gloves were used or not. 

...assuming you have no cuts, your skin is excellent protection. Just keep your fingernails short and easily cleanable. Any rings need to be removed and washed also.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

I guess the comment is "The crack of dawn or don" applies. crying

The very reason we got the door access keypad if you recall, I was up bent over a toilet cleaning and some DUDE APPEARED. I nearly peed myself.

I do not want ANYONE WALKING IN while I am cleaning a shower, or tub or toilet or making a bed. I am not looking grand, I do not wish for anyone to watch me or see me as I scrub or clean anything. No thank you, sheesh, scared myself just typing this! angry

Now that my daughter is helping she is told to lock the door while in cleaning a room. She is wearing an ipod at times as well, so she can't hear people or IF they want to talk to her, well we don't want them to, period, full stop, end of sentence. Anything they want to need they can ring our bell or find me downstairs.

You guys are very OPEN to allow people to peek into a room while you are cleaning...NOT ME. Vacuum, door is closed for sound as well. 

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

the main reason we do is it is the law in the UK that all doors have closers on - if you don't pin them back it leads to endless door banging as either I or the chamber maid or DH go in and out of the room.

__________________

Don't mess with me today or I will kill you!!!!

 

Offline
Joined:
08/07/2008

I hardly ever use gloves when cleaning a bathroom unless it looks like a crime scene in there.

Silverspoon's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/16/2011

Beds are done first, then the rooms are vacuumed for the first time. I always wear gloves when cleaning the bathrooms, and when they are done I dust and do a final vacuum.  There is no way I would wear gloves while making the bed...besides, I am the person doing the laundry, hanging the sheets out on the line and folding them so I have already touched the linens.

Good grief!  People should stay home and live in a bubble if they expect that level of sterility.

__________________

Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade.
Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)

 

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

We always do the bed first as its common sense - get all the linen. duvet etc off the floor and out of the way so you can move round the room and do all the other stuff without clamouring over it

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

camberleyhotelharrogate@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

We always do the bed first as its common sense - get all the linen. duvet etc off the floor and out of the way so you can move round the room and do all the other stuff without clamouring over it

I tell the housekeepers to always make the bed first because nosy people will be poking into every room with an open door. If I'm cleaning on my own I always do the bed first. Makes the room look 80% cleaner with no real effort and then makes the rest of the cleaning easier because I'm not faced with that mess.

TheBeachHouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/24/2013

I leave the door open, too.  Not sure why.   I like your reason that you don't want to startle anyone who may accidentally open the door.

__________________

TBH

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Madeleine wrote:

camberleyhotelharrogate@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

We always do the bed first as its common sense - get all the linen. duvet etc off the floor and out of the way so you can move round the room and do all the other stuff without clamouring over it

I tell the housekeepers to always make the bed first because nosy people will be poking into every room with an open door. If I'm cleaning on my own I always do the bed first. Makes the room look 80% cleaner with no real effort and then makes the rest of the cleaning easier because I'm not faced with that mess.

CLOSE THE DOOR.

Okay I am not getting this at all. I thought your husband cleaned the rooms?

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Joey Bloggs wrote:

Madeleine wrote:

camberleyhotelharrogate@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

We always do the bed first as its common sense - get all the linen. duvet etc off the floor and out of the way so you can move round the room and do all the other stuff without clamouring over it

I tell the housekeepers to always make the bed first because nosy people will be poking into every room with an open door. If I'm cleaning on my own I always do the bed first. Makes the room look 80% cleaner with no real effort and then makes the rest of the cleaning easier because I'm not faced with that mess.

CLOSE THE DOOR.

Okay I am not getting this at all. I thought your husband cleaned the rooms?

DH does the bathrooms, I do the bedrooms. I do not close doors while I am working in a room. I need to be able to see what's going on, plus I do not want the guests coming back and finding me/us in their room with the door shut. Even on a checkout I have the doors open.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Madeleine wrote:

Joey Bloggs wrote:

Madeleine wrote:

camberleyhotelharrogate@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

We always do the bed first as its common sense - get all the linen. duvet etc off the floor and out of the way so you can move round the room and do all the other stuff without clamouring over it

I tell the housekeepers to always make the bed first because nosy people will be poking into every room with an open door. If I'm cleaning on my own I always do the bed first. Makes the room look 80% cleaner with no real effort and then makes the rest of the cleaning easier because I'm not faced with that mess.

CLOSE THE DOOR.

Okay I am not getting this at all. I thought your husband cleaned the rooms?

DH does the bathrooms, I do the bedrooms. I do not close doors while I am working in a room. I need to be able to see what's going on, plus I do not want the guests coming back and finding me/us in their room with the door shut. Even on a checkout I have the doors open.

We are not talking about freshening a room, cleaning a room, flipping a room. 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Joey Bloggs wrote:

Madeleine wrote:

Joey Bloggs wrote:

Madeleine wrote:

camberleyhotelharrogate@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

We always do the bed first as its common sense - get all the linen. duvet etc off the floor and out of the way so you can move round the room and do all the other stuff without clamouring over it

I tell the housekeepers to always make the bed first because nosy people will be poking into every room with an open door. If I'm cleaning on my own I always do the bed first. Makes the room look 80% cleaner with no real effort and then makes the rest of the cleaning easier because I'm not faced with that mess.

CLOSE THE DOOR.

Okay I am not getting this at all. I thought your husband cleaned the rooms?

DH does the bathrooms, I do the bedrooms. I do not close doors while I am working in a room. I need to be able to see what's going on, plus I do not want the guests coming back and finding me/us in their room with the door shut. Even on a checkout I have the doors open.

We are not talking about freshening a room, cleaning a room, flipping a room. 

Still leave the doors open.

Offline
Joined:
03/11/2009

Ditto, same here, also get trash, dishes ,taken care of 1st.

__________________

Mary in Virginia

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Mary at Bridgewater Inn and Cottage wrote:

Ditto, same here, also get trash, dishes ,taken care of 1st.

We do a sweep when guests check out first. That is the stripping of everything. Then go back later for the cleaning, then making up of the room. In that order. It is not even the same day (other than the first step of trash collection, stripping linens to start the wash, etc)

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

camberleyhotelharrogate@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

We always do the bed first as its common sense - get all the linen. duvet etc off the floor and out of the way so you can move round the room and do all the other stuff without clamouring over it

this would make a good poll question. 

I actually don't do the bed first. My dd is helping now and it is akin to the vacuuming your way back out of a room. If the bed is made it appears the room is clean. ... So the bed is the last...but the bed coverings are not on the floor.

Kay Nein's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/13/2012

So... Our process is that C strips the room as soon as they leave to get laundry going and hoping to be able to catch them with any leave-behinds if they are still in the parking lot.  I make beds, C cleans bathrooms, tables, mirrors, etc.  Once I get done with beds, I vacuum the rooms C has finished and give a final QC look-over. 

OnTheShore's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/28/2011

You need a fourth option:

 

What???

__________________

"where even time relaxes...."

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Anthony on Hotel Impossible just downgraded housekeeping for touching a pillowcase with their bare hands, which may have just cleaned a toilet. He said his face is going on that pillow and housekeeping should always wear gloves before touching linens.

Makes me wonder what else should call for gloves.

Has Anthony lost it? Or does he have a point? Do 5-star hotel staff really do this?

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Arks wrote:

Anthony on Hotel Impossible just downgraded housekeeping for touching a pillowcase with their bare hands, which may have just cleaned a toilet. He said his face is going on that pillow and housekeeping should always wear gloves before touching linens.

Makes me wonder what else should call for gloves.

Has Anthony lost it? Or does he have a point? Do 5-star hotel staff really do this?

So, the housekeeper wears gloves to clean the bathroom then uses the same gloves to make the bed. YOU KNOW THAT'S WHAT WILL HAPPEN.

I don't think we even have gloves. We bought a couple of pairs years ago that we offer to the housekeepers. I still have them, in the plastic wrapper.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Madeleine wrote:

Arks wrote:

Anthony on Hotel Impossible just downgraded housekeeping for touching a pillowcase with their bare hands, which may have just cleaned a toilet. He said his face is going on that pillow and housekeeping should always wear gloves before touching linens.

Makes me wonder what else should call for gloves.

Has Anthony lost it? Or does he have a point? Do 5-star hotel staff really do this?

So, the housekeeper wears gloves to clean the bathroom then uses the same gloves to make the bed. YOU KNOW THAT'S WHAT WILL HAPPEN.

I don't think we even have gloves. We bought a couple of pairs years ago that we offer to the housekeepers. I still have them, in the plastic wrapper.

Okay y'all are telling me you scrub a bathroom in bare hands? 

I need a drink, where is the ultra strong shot of espresso I already drank from the other thread... cool

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Joey Bloggs wrote:

Okay y'all are telling me you scrub a bathroom in bare hands? 

I need a drink, where is the ultra strong shot of espresso I already drank from the other thread... cool

On Hotel Impossible tonight he's criticizing a housekeeper who cleaned a coffee cup while wearing the same gloves she wore to clean the toilet. The never ending story...

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Joey Bloggs wrote:

Madeleine wrote:

Arks wrote:

Anthony on Hotel Impossible just downgraded housekeeping for touching a pillowcase with their bare hands, which may have just cleaned a toilet. He said his face is going on that pillow and housekeeping should always wear gloves before touching linens.

Makes me wonder what else should call for gloves.

Has Anthony lost it? Or does he have a point? Do 5-star hotel staff really do this?

So, the housekeeper wears gloves to clean the bathroom then uses the same gloves to make the bed. YOU KNOW THAT'S WHAT WILL HAPPEN.

I don't think we even have gloves. We bought a couple of pairs years ago that we offer to the housekeepers. I still have them, in the plastic wrapper.

Okay y'all are telling me you scrub a bathroom in bare hands? 

I need a drink, where is the ultra strong shot of espresso I already drank from the other thread... cool

Yes, bare hands. If there was a massive blood spill, like CSI-worthy, I would wear gloves. Ditto a really egregious feces event.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Madeleine wrote:

Joey Bloggs wrote:

Madeleine wrote:

Arks wrote:

Anthony on Hotel Impossible just downgraded housekeeping for touching a pillowcase with their bare hands, which may have just cleaned a toilet. He said his face is going on that pillow and housekeeping should always wear gloves before touching linens.

Makes me wonder what else should call for gloves.

Has Anthony lost it? Or does he have a point? Do 5-star hotel staff really do this?

So, the housekeeper wears gloves to clean the bathroom then uses the same gloves to make the bed. YOU KNOW THAT'S WHAT WILL HAPPEN.

I don't think we even have gloves. We bought a couple of pairs years ago that we offer to the housekeepers. I still have them, in the plastic wrapper.

Okay y'all are telling me you scrub a bathroom in bare hands? 

I need a drink, where is the ultra strong shot of espresso I already drank from the other thread... cool

Yes, bare hands. If there was a massive blood spill, like CSI-worthy, I would wear gloves. Ditto a really egregious feces event.

It is all biowaste...

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

Bathroom is the LAST thing done. The bed is the first. After bathroom, hands are washed, since I don't want to bring anything with me. He's off based, unless their procedures were wrong.

__________________

Permission to quote in whole or in part, other than usage on this forum, is entirely forbidden.

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

But we wear gloves when cleaning the toilet.

Innkeep's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/04/2008

For my own piece of mind I wash my hands after cleaning the toilet.  

I would consider wearing gloves when/if the skin on my hands splits open and bleeds from too much hand washing wink

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.