Make It A Destination

23 replies [Last post]
Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

We have a "quilt trail" in our town. Full size images of about 70 quilts made/owned by local people are reproduced on vinyl banners and attached to buildings around our commercial historic district.

Last night an e-mail came in to our local historic preservation group (I manage the website) from our state's capital city, asking about the quilt trail and how it's set up, for a PowerPoint presentation being made for the capital city quilting club. I sent full info on how we did it. Today I got the response, "Thanks. If we're ever through there, we'll certainly take a look!"

I wrote back, "Through there? Make it a destination!" And included a link to the PDF of 70+ things to see and do there, and of course a link to my guesthouse website.

Passing through! We may not be Shinnston WV, but we're still worth more than "passing through"!

__________________

All saints can do miracles, but few of them can keep hotel. ~ Mark Twain

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Did I mention that this thread made me mad?

In the reprint of your 70+ things to see and do please change the title to read DESTINATION in there somewhere. (ie YOUR DESTINATION IN NE ARKANSAS or something quirky, now that you have seen that from Roger Brooks and his quirky rack card/brochure headings) ...

                     I am going to look at this brochure and think of something that jumps out at me.

You know I only read it after I got home and saw the suggested hair-cut. Here I was thinking I thunk it up on my own after talking to the barber. Ne'r knowing about the historical shoe-shine stand in the same room, til later when you sent the info.

So sometimes you can be so close and not realize it. As a guest in the area, I can see how that would happen. I learned more about the circuit court judge's miraculous kidney stone than the shoe-shine stand. But that is small town marketing, eh! haha I have to admit the kidney stone story stuck with me. cool

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Joey Bloggs wrote:

In the reprint of your 70+ things to see and do please change the title to read DESTINATION in there somewhere. (ie YOUR DESTINATION IN NE ARKANSAS or something quirky, now that you have seen that from Roger Brooks and his quirky rack card/brochure headings) ...

Very good! Thanks!

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Arks wrote:

Joey Bloggs wrote:

In the reprint of your 70+ things to see and do please change the title to read DESTINATION in there somewhere. (ie YOUR DESTINATION IN NE ARKANSAS or something quirky, now that you have seen that from Roger Brooks and his quirky rack card/brochure headings) ...

Very good! Thanks!

oh man one that would never fly, but I think is funny is "HELL Yeah!" you know what I am referencing. 

 

"70+ Things to See and Do"

can be changed to ..

"70+ Reasons to Visit"

XYZ Arkansas

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Arks wrote:

Joey Bloggs wrote:

In the reprint of your 70+ things to see and do please change the title to read DESTINATION in there somewhere. (ie YOUR DESTINATION IN NE ARKANSAS or something quirky, now that you have seen that from Roger Brooks and his quirky rack card/brochure headings) ...

Very good! Thanks!

I am having a gorgonzola quesadilla (I know i am not normal) for lunch and looking at your brochure, the thing that JUMPED out was the three of the four trails originating near there..

The term that HIT me was "TRAIL MIX" and using a play on that phrase...

Of course the words "exhale and trail" rhyme. but that may be better used in the state parks/scenic areas there? no?

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Joey Bloggs wrote:

The term that HIT me was "TRAIL MIX" and using a play on that phrase...

Good one!

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Just looked up Hell and there is a Hell Gate Nature Area (did not look up where it is re you though) but there was no Back, Arkansaws and no Gone. That blows the To Hell and Back or To Hell & Gone idea. Crap! I tried.....

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

gillumhouse wrote:

Just looked up Hell and there is a Hell Gate Nature Area (did not look up where it is re you though) but there was no Back, Arkansaws and no Gone. That blows the To Hell and Back or To Hell & Gone idea. Crap! I tried.....

I guessed she's referring to our lovable, beautiful Ozark Hellbenders.

Now, before you question the beauty, remember that their mother's see their beauty.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Actually I had forgotten the hellbenders. I was thinking that if you were near the towns of Hell and Gone or Back - as in every time I go to Pittsburgh or my home area I pass Prosperity - and that is about as close as I will get to it too. Of course, it would spoil the whole schtick if I ever took the exit and went there. I have actually been to Hell's Half Acre (it is in Wyoming).

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Yes it is not proven, but a theory. Or as the scientist said the other day "a prediction" or what we think happened. I think it is interesting they use that word now. Meaning conjecture or speculation, or presumption.  Coming from an entomologist the term prediction sounded much more convincing than the word "theory" I guess that is old school now. cool

OnTheShore's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/28/2011

The problem is that the language of science has been so mis-understood and mis-used by the general populace that scientists now have to come up with new language.

Prediction = Hypothesis, which just means a proposed answer to a (scientific) question (based in some reality) that still needs to be tested, by experiment or study.

Theory, in the language of science, means an idea that HAS BEEN PROVEN by multiple experiments and/or studies. For example, the theory of plate tectonics or the theory of evolution. A Scientific Theory is just one step down from a Scientific Law.

But the general populace have mis-appropriated the word theory, using it to mean what really should be called a hypothesis...

Stepping off soap-box....

__________________

"where even time relaxes...."

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Harborfields wrote:

The problem is that the language of science has been so mis-understood and mis-used by the general populace that scientists now have to come up with new language.

Prediction = Hypothesis, which just means a proposed answer to a (scientific) question (based in some reality) that still needs to be tested, by experiment or study.

Theory, in the language of science, means an idea that HAS BEEN PROVEN by multiple experiments and/or studies. For example, the theory of plate tectonics or the theory of evolution. A Scientific Theory is just one step down from a Scientific Law.

But the general populace have mis-appropriated the word theory, using it to mean what really should be called a hypothesis...

Stepping off soap-box....

Any time. Wait, I didn't mean STEP OFF any time, I meant any time you want to step ON! 

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Excellent!

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Here's the Underground Railroad quilt on our trail. A spoilsport in town pointed out that these quilts really came along much after the Civil War and it's sort of an urban legend, but we ignore him!

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

We have a Barn Quilt Trail (wooden painted) with some of them having the symbols from the underground railroad. Explanation: for those not in or from the South (and SE) the quilts were hung with messages on them, just like the Indian trail trees in the forest.

Here is a pinterest page for quilt trails

Offline
Joined:
07/23/2008

Joey Bloggs wrote:

We have a Barn Quilt Trail (wooden painted) with some of them having the symbols from the underground railroad. Explanation: for those not in or from the South (and SE) the quilts were hung with messages on them, just like the Indian trail trees in the forest.

Here is a pinterest page for quilt trails

hey, we have a barn quilt trail too! If I owned a regular old house, like a farm house, i'da jumped on that theme for the place!

__________________

Sunshine

 

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

That's a cool pinterest page. Ours are wood also. Supposedly the only quilt trail in the western states.

I had no idea about the hidden messages for the underground railroad! JB, you're just a wealth of knowledge!

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

We've got a quilt trail also! Ours are made out of wood.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Are you near the big quilt show?

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Hmmm...since I don't know anything about a big quilt show, I guess the answer is no.

Where is it?

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Breakfast Diva wrote:

Hmmm...since I don't know anything about a big quilt show, I guess the answer is no.

Where is it?

Sisters.

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Nope...that's the other side of the state.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Your Tourism Board has squash for brains! 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

yes

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.