never say no one

39 replies [Last post]
seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

so you were just talking about guests wanting to watch a specific program

we have one guest tv here and, you guessed it, guests coming in october want to be sure they can watch the debate.

there you go.  i went and said no one here was talking about it, no one watched it.  and now have a specific request.

 

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

We have one room with a TV in it. I went to put something in the inn fridge and I can hear the TV all the way down the hall, into the kitchen, dining room and the living room. Guests are trying to watch TV in the living room and they have it cranked so they can hear over the other TV. One has the ballgame on, the other has has some news show where they're all screaming at each other.

Do I knock on the room door and ask them to turn it down? I don't think any other rooms can hear either TV as those guests nearest the living room TV aren't in yet and the other room are the ones with the living room TV on. The room with the TV is far away from the other guest rooms so it's only audible in the common spaces.

__________________

Never judge a person's story by the chapter you walked in on.

 

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Bree wrote:

We have one room with a TV in it. I went to put something in the inn fridge and I can hear the TV all the way down the hall, into the kitchen, dining room and the living room. Guests are trying to watch TV in the living room and they have it cranked so they can hear over the other TV. One has the ballgame on, the other has has some news show where they're all screaming at each other.

Do I knock on the room door and ask them to turn it down? I don't think any other rooms can hear either TV as those guests nearest the living room TV aren't in yet and the other room are the ones with the living room TV on. The room with the TV is far away from the other guest rooms so it's only audible in the common spaces.

Have a guest with a big mouth, would like to put her on mute today. 

See I am th eopposite, I want our common rooms with no tv's, noone sitting in there like they are at home watching something that many others do not want to hear or watch. You could have CCN or Fox on an offend people these days.

Such is life...You can't make everything perfect.  Just roll with the punches.

__________________

"What the country needs is dirtier fingernails and cleaner minds." Will Rogers

 

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

I'm with you...I don't want TVs in our common areas.  That's where folks can visit, or read, or just take it easy without having to worry about fighting over changing the channel or watching NASCAR if they don't want to.  tee hee....

__________________

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov

 

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

JunieBJones (JBJ) wrote:

Bree wrote:

We have one room with a TV in it. I went to put something in the inn fridge and I can hear the TV all the way down the hall, into the kitchen, dining room and the living room. Guests are trying to watch TV in the living room and they have it cranked so they can hear over the other TV. One has the ballgame on, the other has has some news show where they're all screaming at each other.

Do I knock on the room door and ask them to turn it down? I don't think any other rooms can hear either TV as those guests nearest the living room TV aren't in yet and the other room are the ones with the living room TV on. The room with the TV is far away from the other guest rooms so it's only audible in the common spaces.

Have a guest with a big mouth, would like to put her on mute today. 

See I am th eopposite, I want our common rooms with no tv's, noone sitting in there like they are at home watching something that many others do not want to hear or watch. You could have CCN or Fox on an offend people these days.

Such is life...You can't make everything perfect.  Just roll with the punches.

Ooooo, I've had those guests. No inside voices. After the living room TV went off a bunch of late arrivals showed up. Hysterics all across the parking lot, into the house, sat up loudly talking until 11. I guess I have to let it go.

greyswan's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/03/2008

We have cable for 5 tv's under residential.... any more than that we would have to pay commercial rates.  Not going to do that.  We bought 2 tv's with dvds built in last year - so 3 of our 5 guest rooms have tv's.  The other 2 rooms are the double bedded rooms and very little room for tv's anyway... so if they want to watch tv - they'll have to buddy up with one of the other guests    or watch tv in one of our parlors. 

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

greyswan wrote:

We have cable for 5 tv's under residential.... any more than that we would have to pay commercial rates.  Not going to do that.  We bought 2 tv's with dvds built in last year - so 3 of our 5 guest rooms have tv's.  The other 2 rooms are the double bedded rooms and very little room for tv's anyway... so if they want to watch tv - they'll have to buddy up with one of the other guests    or watch tv in one of our parlors. 

Unfortunately, when the cable system was set up here the PO's went commercial. Everyone else is paying residential and we're being hit upside the head with commercial rates. 4 TV's is almost $100. We keep getting rate reductions because a lot of people are switching to satellite so they're trying to keep the cable customers by lowering the rates.

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

I pay $70/month for 4 TVs here with a residential rate in our second house.  It isn't digital.  It does include one channel of HBO & the installation guys left Showtime untrapped too, so that's included. 

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

the debate is on in the guest library ... a few not watching have settled in one guest room and are knitting. 

i wanted to offer guest tv's because things close so early around here and, in bad weather, there is not much to do.  but the price per tv from the cable and satellite providers was outrageous so we scrapped the tv idea.   yes, we have scrabble and monopology, boggle and parcheesi,(sp) , cards and dominoes, puzzles and books, a fireplace and popcorn ... but sometimes tv would be nice for them in their rooms.  if i could have swung it this year, i'd have picked up little tv's with dvd players or just dvd players for the rooms for folks.  oh well.  it seems to me i stayed someplace that had volume control programmed in to the tv. you couldn't make the volume any louder than a certain level, and they had headphones with long cords.   is that possible ... a volume control preset .... or am i nuts?

Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

I had a little tv with dvd player between 2-3 years old.  The tv wouldn't turn on, so now the whole thing is out the door.  Replaced it with tv same size but bought dvd player to go with it.

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

seashanty wrote:

the debate is on in the guest library ... a few not watching have settled in one guest room and are knitting. 

i wanted to offer guest tv's because things close so early around here and, in bad weather, there is not much to do.  but the price per tv from the cable and satellite providers was outrageous so we scrapped the tv idea.   yes, we have scrabble and monopology, boggle and parcheesi,(sp) , cards and dominoes, puzzles and books, a fireplace and popcorn ... but sometimes tv would be nice for them in their rooms.  if i could have swung it this year, i'd have picked up little tv's with dvd players or just dvd players for the rooms for folks.  oh well.  it seems to me i stayed someplace that had volume control programmed in to the tv. you couldn't make the volume any louder than a certain level, and they had headphones with long cords.   is that possible ... a volume control preset .... or am i nuts?

Okay you are kidding right? Providing headphones to watch a tv in a room you pay to stay in?  Ahhhhh don't think so.    Volume control is good idea tho.

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Hubs is looking into speakers to mount right next to the bed so the volume doesn't have to be at 10 for the guests to hear the TV. I do know that the TV we had in the room in Vegas always started at the same volume and always on the same (Casino) station. So the volume control thing can be done.

We looked at a place in NH where they had Bose speakers in the rooms. The speakers had a remote to turn on the radio, adjust the sound, etc. The owners had an override remote. They could adjust the volume from the hallway if it was too loud.

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I treid to find this thread and the search was telling me to rack off.  You must have at least THREE letters.  I had put in these two "tv'  ha ha

Anyway, same scenario as last week but this is one and only VP debate tonight at 9pm eastern time.  Give us the feedback on anyone wanting tv's or not wanting to watch this debate.  I am curious. 

muirford's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

A group of three couples checked in tonight for a three-day weekend and made early dinner plans so they could be back to watch the debate.  I believe they are of like minds on the candidates (and completely the opposite of the crowd that checked out today) so I am just hoping they won't disturb the one other room that is not part of the group.  Do we have a fingers crossed emoticon?

__________________

Jeanne

There are no rules, just follow your heart. ~ Robin Williams

 

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

muirford wrote:

A group of three couples checked in tonight for a three-day weekend and made early dinner plans so they could be back to watch the debate.  I believe they are of like minds on the candidates (and completely the opposite of the crowd that checked out today) so I am just hoping they won't disturb the one other room that is not part of the group.  Do we have a fingers crossed emoticon?

No but the barf one might work. Depending on who's who.   HA HA

Well these guests said 745 and where are they? I planned on watching.

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

JunieBJones (JBJ) wrote:

I treid to find this thread and the search was telling me to rack off.  You must have at least THREE letters.  I had put in these two "tv'  ha ha

Anyway, same scenario as last week but this is one and only VP debate tonight at 9pm eastern time.  Give us the feedback on anyone wanting tv's or not wanting to watch this debate.  I am curious. 

No one even asked.

Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

My guests in the 2 bedroom suite decided they wanted to try to watch TV  for the debate on saturday night, in their suite. Other suite was out.  They wanted to take TV and try it.  Told them to go ahead, but not cable hookup in the suite. They tried it and then brought it back when they couldn't get decent reception for the local channels even.

Guess what, all memory was gone.  So they had to do the set up again for it to even work and that takes awhile.  They got it done in time for the debate.

Guess I might have to think about running cable up to the the suite this winter. Then can put a TV in the living room there maybe in a cabinet or hutch to hide it.  Will have to think about it. 

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

OK, guests are sitting in the living room glued to the TV watching the stock market crash. And now that the Nikkei Index is posting tomorrow's opening numbers as off by 2% already they're talking Armageddon in the world markets. And no one is backing a gov't buyout. In spite of what they know is happening to their retirement plans in the next few weeks.

So, if I took a poll of only my guests that poll would show that middle America expected this and thinks it's what comes of 'high living'. ('Middle America' being people who live in TX, CO, MO and Scotland. The Scots saying that if we have the problem here, it's where they live, too and for the same reasons.)

IvyLee's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/09/2008

This is interesting. I have been tv free since 1995, and when I travel, and stay somewhere that has a television I find it a strange way to kill time now.

ginocat's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Well, it's going to be an interesting one in the ongoing soap operatic saga!!

__________________

Wendy
"now retired from the BB business"

 

Offline
Joined:
06/24/2008

Yes, I think football (in general) is America's favorite sport. 

My pet peeve these days is that it seems almost every casual restaurant has plastered their walls with flat screens.  - What, no one goes out to eat to socialize anymore.  Even when I have no interest in what is on, your eyes get drawn to the screen from time to time.  Then there are those that think that they are the only one's in the place and ask for the channel to be changed.   

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

You're dang right!  When my college football team is on, the heck with the rest of y'all!  Bring it on! 

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Copperhead wrote:

Yes, I think football (in general) is America's favorite sport. 

My pet peeve these days is that it seems almost every casual restaurant has plastered their walls with flat screens.  - What, no one goes out to eat to socialize anymore.  Even when I have no interest in what is on, your eyes get drawn to the screen from time to time.  Then there are those that think that they are the only one's in the place and ask for the channel to be changed.   

Actually, NASCAR is the most popular spectator sport in America.  Has the largest fan base.

I hear ya on the tv's, there are a couple places we have gone and there is a diff station on every wall, and it was rotten.  Why would I go out to sit in front of a tv like that! GRRRRR!

YellowSocks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

JunieBJones (JBJ) wrote:

I hear ya on the tv's, there are a couple places we have gone and there is a diff station on every wall, and it was rotten.  Why would I go out to sit in front of a tv like that! GRRRRR!

Me, too.  I don't watch TV, so when one is on my attention is really drawn to it... it's distracting and hard for me to ignore.  Then we went to a restaurant I like... like you said, a TV on each wall, each on a different station.  So dh starts commenting on what he sees, but that's completely different than what I can see.

=)
Kk.

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Ahhhh never say never aye. 

What about sports?  We have people who MUST see a game, and right now there are some great college and professional games going on.  I have had guests check in and say "What channel is it on!"  How the heck do I know! I say.  haha

Not to mention weather channel.  I don't know how your guests live with out that, that is the channel I set the tvs to in the rooms, or the tv guide scroll.

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Big game this weekend that guests had to watch.  They take their college football seriously here.  Maybe that is not the case up North??  Also, important to watch the news about where to get gas!

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Are you kidding? High school coaches have been known to decamp in the dark of night, one step ahead of the tar & feathers, if they have too many losing seasons.

I remember the coach at Steubenvill Big Red being presented with a brand new station wagon (to accommodate all his kids) by the Boosters as a reward for several winning seasons. In this area - about 120 miles from Steubenville, you could clean out the town on a Friday night because everyone is at the high school football game. Our Christmas Parade and Concert was moved 1 week because the normal evening conflicted with a WVU home game! It's a boy! Here is his football!

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

The Weather Channel was on THIS morning, I can tell you! 5 guests waiting for the 6th to join them...I ask if they want to wait. They say, 'He's watching the weather.' I look into the living and room, and, no, actually he's watching a Paul Newman retrospective. They are all stunned! 'He doesn't care about that stuff!' Hmmm, perhaps not, but he's watching it.

Don Draper's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/10/2008

I'm grateful for technology...we have no televisions here but we do have WiFi (as well as a guest computer), and all the major networks live stream the debates so anyone who'd like to watch it can (with earphones please so the rest of the house doesn't have to hear it if they don't want to!).

__________________

What you call love was invented by guys like me to sell nylons.

 

ginocat's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Are you serious ... you have no TV's available??

Don Draper's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/10/2008

Proudly television free since 1987.  And ZERO complaints about it as well, we cater to folks looking for historic/cultural get-a-ways, they are always relieved to be free of the noisy distraction!  I always look for "TV-free" when we travel (which is NEVER anymore!!)

egoodell's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/01/2008

 We have tv with dvd players which get used a lot for movie watching. 

You probably get zero complaints because they see on your website that you don't have tvs in the rooms. 

But you have no way of knowing how many reservations you may have lost because you don't have tvs.

That's why we have them. If they want they can turn them on. But the dvd players sure come in handy when the weather is bad and they can watch a movie in bed.

Riki

__________________

Riki Goodell
Arcady Vineyard Bed & Breakfast
Arcady Vineyard Wine Tours
www.arcadyvineyard.com
Come! Let us show you the beautiful Monticello Appellation!

 

Don Draper's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/10/2008

It's just another great example of how you can make your B&B exactly what you want it to be and do well.  True, we might not be able to precisely track if we are "losing" reservations due to not having tv's, but we are definitely as busy (and most months actually busier!) as we want/need to be, so it works for our situation. 

I'm waiting for the day when we're all walking around with our i-TV's!  Again, very grateful for technology and amazed by how quickly things become widely available (if you had told me three years ago that DH would be installing WiFi for our Inn I wouldn't have even known what it was, let along how to install it!).  Good stuff.

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

The funny thing with this business is for every one person who won't book with me because "X reason", there is another one who chooses me because of the very same reason, and two others who don't care either way.

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

A TV has an on/off switch...just because it's there doesn't mean that you have to turn it on!  We have TVs in every guest accommodation but no TV in any common area.  Business travelers would not stay here if there were no TVs!  We also have TVs in both rooms of our 2 bedroom suites - I had a caller yesterday specifically ask me if we had them in both rooms!  Interesting to me that no guest has said anything about your lack of TVs.  People seem to want it at least to check the news or weather. 

YellowSocks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

InnsiderInfo wrote:

Proudly television free since 1987.  And ZERO complaints about it as well, we cater to folks looking for historic/cultural get-a-ways, they are always relieved to be free of the noisy distraction!  I always look for "TV-free" when we travel (which is NEVER anymore!!)

I've been TV free myself for about that long, but for my guests I have large screened TV's in every room.  They don't have to use them, but if it gets me reservations it's worth it.

=)
Kk.

Don Draper's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/10/2008

Our niche is quiet and relaxing, so it's never been an issue as far as losing business.  About two years ago we did start to get calls asking if we had television, and that's when we installed the WiFi so folks can check email, stocks, sports scores, etc.  Plus the Weather Channel, everyone checks that out in the mornings!  Just about all of our guests travel with laptops so installing the WiFi definitely eliminated the questions on TV's.

If we were more of a "destination B&B" we'd likely have to have them, but I'd hate to have to be the Volume Police, with 10 rooms it would just get too loud here for us.  There are so many things to do where we are located, plus so many fun pubs, etc., most people are out of the house except to sleep and eat breakfast, so luckily that works for us.  Plus having no common television definitely encourages guests to converse with each other, which is nice since we get people from all over the world. 

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

InnsiderInfo wrote:

Our niche is quiet and relaxing, so it's never been an issue as far as losing business.  About two years ago we did start to get calls asking if we had television, and that's when we installed the WiFi so folks can check email, stocks, sports scores, etc.  Plus the Weather Channel, everyone checks that out in the mornings!  Just about all of our guests travel with laptops so installing the WiFi definitely eliminated the questions on TV's.

If we were more of a "destination B&B" we'd likely have to have them, but I'd hate to have to be the Volume Police, with 10 rooms it would just get too loud here for us.  There are so many things to do where we are located, plus so many fun pubs, etc., most people are out of the house except to sleep and eat breakfast, so luckily that works for us.  Plus having no common television definitely encourages guests to converse with each other, which is nice since we get people from all over the world. 

I hear ya on this topic.  I also could possibly hear others in another room being intimate and would prefer to turn my tv up in the evening or early morning so I don't have to listen to them.  my 2 cents.  I agree no tv police, but people yell over the hair dryer, on cell phones, and because they are old!

YellowSocks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I agree 100% about the wifi.  I may be TV free, but I go into withdrawal if I can't check my email!  (And this forum...)

=)
Kk.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

When I was at the conference with our City Manager, she invited me into her room to use her laprop because she recognized that I go into spasms if I cannot check e-mail. Had a Webervation too - so she knew it was important!.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.