Restaurant List

33 replies [Last post]
Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

I am updating our restaurant list for the rooms AND online. What a PITA!

Restaurants hours of operation change, they open, they close.

When I leave them OFF the list people approach me like I have committed a mortal sin. Maybe, our guests have had food poisoning there, or something. So I leave them off. But now I am just adding them ALL to the list. All of them. I have RECOMMENDED of course, and they can listen to me, or not.

I am adding FB links now, as most due FB. Here is the one right behind us. They do not maintain the building, the parking lot, nor do anything to upkeep the restaurant, there is a big dirty dumpster outside, but you can walk there from here. We don't.

The place is always packed so our guests think it must be good! No it is not the great food or atmosphere. Remember what I say, yousguys...if they treat you bad and the food is bad then it is busy here, that is the way it is in this town. 

BTW The food is NOTHING like Arks place. You don't even GET BREAD. Even the pizza is lousy. I post here and not on TA or YELP. I am entitled to my opinion. Small towns...we do have a brand new place opening soon, which WILL be great! I guarantee it! It is on my list - walk to, I won't post here and get clicks to this site from it.

Google streetview here

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

When asked where she eats out, our local inspector responds with, "I don't."

__________________

All saints can do miracles, but few of them can keep hotel. ~ Mark Twain

 

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

our butchers is where the chief public health inspector does his shopping - can't beat that!

__________________

Don't mess with me today or I will kill you!!!!

 

Ice
Offline
Joined:
02/22/2010

After you take the Safety and Sanitation class you don't even want to eat out!  (Save Serve)

__________________

"Do not put off until tomorrow what can be put off till day-after-tomorrow just as well." Mark Twain

 

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

I ask my health inspector where SHE goes to eat in our county. Works for me!

Portland is now known for their food truck 'pods'. There are so many ethic and unusual varieties of foods. She warned me again food trucks, but on that's I'm just going to close my ears and go for it anyway. When you live where I do, ethnic restaurants don't exist. I'm ethnic starved!

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Bacon makes you thirsty...for more bacon!

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

My  number one restaurant cafe gripe (only because I can't see what's going on in the kitchen): when they carry a coffee carafe or pitcher of iced tea around the room giving refills, and touch the spout of the pitcher to the dirty rim of each cup/glass as they refill it, passing who knows what from person to person throughout the place!

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Arks wrote:

My  number one restaurant cafe gripe (only because I can't see what's going on in the kitchen): when they carry a coffee carafe or pitcher of iced tea around the room giving refills, and touch the spout of the pitcher to the dirty rim of each cup/glass as they refill it, passing who knows what from person to person throughout the place!

Reminds me of Mexico, where you only drink from a container/bottle you open yourself. Or risk getting Montezuma's revenge.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Arks wrote:

My  number one restaurant cafe gripe (only because I can't see what's going on in the kitchen): when they carry a coffee carafe or pitcher of iced tea around the room giving refills, and touch the spout of the pitcher to the dirty rim of each cup/glass as they refill it, passing who knows what from person to person throughout the place!

and the number one place for food borne illness is from sliced lemons (here in America that we like in our iced tea or iced water to kill the water tap taste/smell). Those same servers who collect the dirty contaminated plates from a table reach into the lemons and put one on your glass or in your water. Sure, they are supposed to use something other than their hands...

JB says "Rethink your lemon" 

When I worked for a fireworks company in Tacoma WA there was a gal who would bring her water bottle to the big "Sparkletts" 5 gallon office dispenser throughout the day and refill it. When she walked away there was always RED LIPSTICK on the dispenser nozzle.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

On the topic of restaurants...guest told me they have walked out of restaurants if the staff touch the tops of the glassware. Told me this 4-5 times. I wonder did DH touch the glassware wrong yesterday during breakfast.

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Ice
Offline
Joined:
02/22/2010

One of our guest told a restaurant owner they should give us a free meal (and they did)!  Love when guest look out for the Innkeepers!

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

I've passed it on to my vegetarian friends, JB. Good one!

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Speaking of food...

I shared this one FB today:

Does anyone else love cowboy poetry? Well with the growing number of vegetarians and vegans we encounter here at the B&B, we thought you would get a kick out of this: http://youtu.be/-zfzT7QfLZc

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

Joey Bloggs wrote:

Speaking of food...

I shared this one FB today:

Does anyone else love cowboy poetry? Well with the growing number of vegetarians and vegans we encounter here at the B&B, we thought you would get a kick out of this: http://youtu.be/-zfzT7QfLZc

heart this is awesome

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

 ugh, restaurant lists. i had so little cooperation from most in my area and i could not figure out why since ALL my guests were looking for a place to eat at least once during their stay! only one place was appreciative and partnered with me ... i'd give a coupon for a free drink with their dinner. i called each season and asked at each place for menus, you'd think i was asking for the earth. 

if they weren't busy, they'd close up early. cook was sick (one cook for the night) and they'd close. went on vacation or had a wedding or private party and they'd close and never let me know even if closed for a whole week ... despite my sending guests their way all the time. my guests would come back and complain to me.  so i had to have disclaimers on the list.  i said cell phone service is limited, i suggest you call from the hall phone to make sure they're open. and the current list was posted by the phone. they'd look at me as though i was crazy ... 'their hours are this, they'll be open.' not always! 

i didn't recommend anyplace because i rarely got out but i did have guest raves or rants ... they wrote them or said them and put their first name beside them on a big wipe erase board ... so be it.

my favorite had to be two different couples who ate at the same lobster shack on the same night. one couple said it was a dump, the other couple loved it and thought it was a rustic classic. they were given scrubbed ROCKS to bash open their lobsters ... one woman thought this was a riot, one woman was 'not impressed'.  but, hey, it was a SHACK in every sense of the word.   

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

I haven't updated the room books since I created them 6 years ago. Sigh. Yes, it is hard to do.

The web list is pretty up to date because it's just the name of the place, how close it is, what type of food they serve and a phone number, if I have one.

I took the links off the new site because I was pretty sick & tired of giving all these places link love and getting naught in return.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Madeleine wrote:

I haven't updated the room books since I created them 6 years ago. Sigh. Yes, it is hard to do.

The web list is pretty up to date because it's just the name of the place, how close it is, what type of food they serve and a phone number, if I have one.

I took the links off the new site because I was pretty sick & tired of giving all these places link love and getting naught in return.

I hear you.

Btw I wrote that blog article about the top places to elope in SW VA and even emailed each inn, no one responded, whatsoever. Not to say thank you, not to recipricate, nada.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Cute pool guy would like it!

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

we have approx. 300 places to eat dinner or cafe's - I am not even attempting to keep track of them all!

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

camberleyhotelharrogate@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

we have approx. 300 places to eat dinner or cafe's - I am not even attempting to keep track of them all!

In your  case I would keep track of any, like you say. No way now how, let people walk and get their meals as they see fit!

Again, we are different here. Peeple EMAIL and call ahead to find out where to eat. Weird isn't it!

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

what maddens me is the complete unhelpfulness of restaurants when you are trying to send them business its like banging your head against a brick wall! where I am there are plenty of excellent restaurants why should I fight to get info on ones that don't co-operate?

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

camberleyhotelharrogate@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

what maddens me is the complete unhelpfulness of restaurants when you are trying to send them business its like banging your head against a brick wall! where I am there are plenty of excellent restaurants why should I fight to get info on ones that don't co-operate?

yes agreed!

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

I might make it to 200 in just a 3 block radius. There are over 5000 in the city.

__________________

Permission to quote in whole or in part, other than usage on this forum, is entirely forbidden.

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Sugar Bear wrote:

I might make it to 200 in just a 3 block radius. There are over 5000 in the city.

May I remind you we are a  population of 5000 in our town?

If I had your number of eateries, I would prob only list my favorites and those walkable that I really liked or had good feedback from. I am actually listing places I would NOT go to. That is a shame isn't it. I have left a couple of the really bad ones off and won't list those. Meanwhile in our nearby small city we have some amazing places that I WOULD recommend.

The issue in that is, when a local finds out and even guests they say "Why are you sending them out of town to eat?" Because I want them happy. 

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

I've been to small towns... and driven into bigger towns for dinner... Too many small towns now only have chain restaurants. Or salt licks, as I call them.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Sugar Bear wrote:

I've been to small towns... and driven into bigger towns for dinner... Too many small towns now only have chain restaurants. Or salt licks, as I call them.

The Chains would be the better. The way things are now a days...

I am getting hungry with all this food talk. Having a cup of tea... salt licks aye. yep.

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

Very few of the chains survive around here. One of them is having trouble around here specifically because all the reviews are mentioning it is a salt lick. We just don't consume as much salt in our food and everything they make just seems salty to us. 

Silverspoon's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/16/2011

No chains allowed out here.  A few snuck in back in the late '70's before the zoning changed.  Lots of clam shacks, and high end foodie restaurants here...locally owned.

I have a stack of new menus from the area restaurants that we like...better get going refreshing those menu books!  I don't post them on line but for those guests who have reservations, I do send an e-mail list of our recommendations with links.

__________________

Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade.
Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Overly salty, yes. I use a minimum of salt but we cannot avoid it if we buy anything prepared. If you don't cook everything from scratch you die from hypertension or diabetes.

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

I just give recommendations: 2 BBQ places, 2 steak places, 2 pizza places, etc. and even those few keep me busy updating things!

The food is NOTHING like Arks place.

The place across the street from my guesthouse has started doing really good daily specials, and they are real close to getting their private club license so they can serve drinks with the meals. It's a great asset to have a GOOD eating place so close by!

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

I sort the list various ways. We had guests also get mad because they were not told about this home cookin' restaurant where you sit down and they serve family style and everything is homemade.

Not every person who FINALLY ARRIVES here is willing to drive a mountain drive (very mountainy) an hour to get this meal. Some are, I cannot decipher if you are or aren't. Most arrive hours after they thought (because they trust the GPS) and only want to grab a bite now.

So many wanted country cooking. The place opened right next door and they never went, and didn't want it. It shut down. They never came over to thank us for sending guests, or even give us a menu. We ordered one time and the chicken took 45 minutes... so out they go, someone else can come in.

Our KFC has a great boo-fay with tons of southern specialties like lima beans, chicken dumplin's, collard greens, pintos and more.  Really it is the best place to get all of that here, and you get a drink. But people do not like being told KFC  a chain is a recommended place to eat. Really, it is pretty dang good! Biscuits are hand made as well...

The last image on our where to eat page I just put up there from January. The restaurant literally buys the beef locally EACH and every morning, grinds it fresh for burgers, I mean heck they even have patty melts

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

I post that as well, on every article I every write or anything online. It is pretty bad we have to do that, some here choose their hours, I never know when they are open, ever.

The thing is, the big blogging initiative to post restaurant reviews, lists etc. We had a lady show up here and was totally put out because she was going to dine at red clay, well red clay have been closed for years! The article she saw was like 2006! But it was still our fault. She said we posted abut this restaurant. I found the article, as it made ME SO MAD too...saw the date. I cannot go back and update every comment/post/article. So the disclaimer is a good thing! 

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Our City just unveiled the updated web site. They used the business list I made for the first City web site and updated last year. Had to tell the person in charge that the new restaurant from last year closed. I organized it like the Yel low Ps and they now have it in category groups with name address and phone & web link if there is one. It even has forms, calendars for booking pool parties and pavilions. He caught the closed or moved businesses.

TheBeachHouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/24/2013

We post this disclaimer on our 'things to do' pages.  Not that it helps if someone is inconvenienced, but at least we point it out.

 

Businesses, such as parks, restaurants, and whale-watching tours, open and close with the seasons. We work hard to keep opening and closing dates as accurate as possible, but, occasionally, businesses will not put out a notice before closing their doors for the season. We advise that you call the business to verify their open/close status.

__________________

TBH

 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.