Housekeeper Wanted Ad Help

28 replies [Last post]
Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

I saw a craiglist ad that was really spot on and I can't find it now. It mentioned lifting 30 lbs, stairs, seasonable and more.

Can you please share your short advert for housekeepers that you post? Thank you!

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Strike three on showing up. No not one person, the third person who was supposed to show up today, no show. Yesterday no show, day before no show. I am done with it for a while. Full house, three rooms to turn and an elopement who wants to check in early.  DH is out moving mulch.

I am really getting fed up with this. Surely someone wants a job, after all the whole country is out of work blah blah blah boo hoo hoo woe is me. cool

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Sounds like they only wanted to tick the box saying they were looking for work. Not that they were really looking to work.

That's a sorry situation.

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

We couldn't even get the one who was being paid to watch us work while we showed her the ropes to come back after the first day.

Luckily, the college kids need the money so they come back.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

I am trying it again. Now that school is back in session perhaps a local stay at home mom with kids in school will want to work for us and make some $. 

I cannot manage this business and do all the room cleaning and laundry and cooking and everything else. Calgon take me awaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy...

Craigslist...be good to me man

Offline
Joined:
01/12/2013

I feel your pain, JB.  It is next to impossible to find someone dependable, even when you lower your standards.  This summer, I did it pretty much on my own and am so, so thankful the season is almost over.  Good Luck to you...

MountainMystery's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/23/2013

We advertised recently and was able to hire someone that I think will work out really well for us- fingers crossed!

But we did have one lady that applied who was neighbors with another staff member. DH gave me her application after she had left and said she had quite a bit of hotel housekeeping experience, so I got excited! He called her in for an interview. The next day when I met the woman, I was quite surprised. She appeared much older and didn't seem to be in the best condition.. But, to each his own, right? I try to keep an open mind.

I sat down with her and our Senior Housekeeper to do the interview, and she goes on to tell us that she's 81, she broke her back and had surgery a couple years ago, and was recently in the hospital for some other stuff. And when I ask if she anticipates any difficulty in climbing up and down the stairs everyday, carrying multiple loads of heavy wet laundry and bags of trash, and constant bending during cleaning tubs and making beds, she says no- she can handle it.

All I can think about it a worker's comp claim... sad

__________________

When life gets you down do you wanna know what you've gotta do?
-- Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming.

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

MountainMystery wrote:

All I can think about it a worker's comp claim... sad

We had one like that last summer. Worked a couple of days, went in the hospital, asked us for an advance and then never showed up again.

We just heard from some govt agency wanting her pay info for 12 months. Dh called and said we didn't recognize the name but the SSN was the same and she only worked for a week, not a year. They seemed surprised to hear this.

Figured she was trying to pull some scam.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Good luck kiddo! I'm thinking of placing an ad for the fall season. We are just too dang old to do this 7 days/week for the next 2 months.

It's hard enough doing it 3 days/week.

Once we hit November it's slow again. We can handle that.

But I hear ya! And I have DH here all the time. Couldn't do what you do.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

and just got this one:

"during the week I am available any time after 5pm,"

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Joey Bloggs wrote:

and just got this one:

"during the week I am available any time after 5pm,"

I'm sorry. I am laughing. This is what we go thru every year. Very few people GET what the job is about. Even with the semi-detailed job description in the ad and in the email we send when someone calls.

As my cute greeting card says: My idea of cleaning is sweeping the room with a glance.

That's what they think they're going to do.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

I explained it again and got this reply:

" work at Wells Fargo from 8:30am to 5:00pm Monday thru Friday… I can do anything in the evening if you have anything open, I have done night audit before for XYZ in several years back in Salem, VA… but I am a fast learner and work very hard."

I replied back thank you for your interest, but the job IS DURING THE DAY from 11am to 3pm, and THAT is the job. DOH!

Fast learner my butt...

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Joey Bloggs wrote:

Fast learner my butt...

Learns fast, can't read.

We've had the ones who told us what hours they would be working when we hired them. (This one showed up with screaming child and flip flops. No.)

Another one who could work every other Saturday but his friend would cover for him on the alternate Saturday. He was working 2 jobs already.

The ones who kept asking what bus they should take even tho I kept telling them (same phone number, 5 different applicants) that there is no bus.

You know the 2 last year.

Multitudes who are just ticking boxes on the unemployment form.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

The ad states:

We are currently looking for a part time seasonal housekeeper. Hours require weekend work: 11am to 3pm as needed. Days will vary.

First line. I have had two responses that have asked:

               "Will I be required before 4pm? During the day?"

The third was from Ukraine or somewhere looking for summer live-in employment

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Joey Bloggs wrote:

The ad states:

We are currently looking for a part time seasonal housekeeper. Hours require weekend work: 11am to 3pm as needed. Days will vary.

First line. I have had two responses that have asked:

               "Will I be required before 4pm? During the day?"

The third was from Ukraine or somewhere looking for summer live-in employment

I feel your pain. I know someone who would love the job but I already know she cannot be here on Sunday mornings. We've had a fair number of people contact us who don't mind coming in at noon or in the afternoon but can't work mornings. Or weekends.

(I will say that during our stay in Vegas we did not see a housekeeper anywhere on any day before 11 AM. Not a single one. And they were still working at 6 PM.)

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Madeleine wrote:

Joey Bloggs wrote:

The ad states:

We are currently looking for a part time seasonal housekeeper. Hours require weekend work: 11am to 3pm as needed. Days will vary.

First line. I have had two responses that have asked:

               "Will I be required before 4pm? During the day?"

The third was from Ukraine or somewhere looking for summer live-in employment

I feel your pain. I know someone who would love the job but I already know she cannot be here on Sunday mornings. We've had a fair number of people contact us who don't mind coming in at noon or in the afternoon but can't work mornings. Or weekends.

(I will say that during our stay in Vegas we did not see a housekeeper anywhere on any day before 11 AM. Not a single one. And they were still working at 6 PM.)

People don't get up til later in vegas! Up all night doing those "what happens in vegas stays in vegas" things.

TheBeachHouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/24/2013

Joey Bloggs wrote:

The ad states:

We are currently looking for a part time seasonal housekeeper. Hours require weekend work: 11am to 3pm as needed. Days will vary.

First line. I have had two responses that have asked:

               "Will I be required before 4pm? During the day?"

The third was from Ukraine or somewhere looking for summer live-in employment

 

gotta shake your head.  

we get emails from Europe for summer jobs daily.   we just delete them.

__________________

TBH

 

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

 I'm confused  I work for three non profits and when we post help wanted ads on Craigslist, we have to pay. It's not expensive, but not free.

Can you tell me how you post a free help wanted ad there?

 

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

seashanty wrote:

 I'm confused  I work for three non profits and when we post help wanted ads on Craigslist, we have to pay. It's not expensive, but not free.

Can you tell me how you post a free help wanted ad there?

 

 

Just saw this for you:

All craigslist postings are free, except for:

1. Job postings in SF Bay Area—$75 per job per category (e.g. 1 job in 2 categories is $150).

2. Job postings in the following areas—$25 per job per category (e.g. 1 job in 2 categories is $50):

Atlanta, Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Central NJ, Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Inland Empire, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Long Island, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Nashville, New York City, North Jersey, Orange County, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Portland, Raleigh, Sacramento, St. Louis , San Antonio, San Diego, Seattle, South Florida, Tampa, Washington DC.

3. Brokered apartment rentals in New York City—$10.

4. Therapeutic services in the United States—$10 (reposting of live ads $5).

5. Tickets by-dealer in the United States—$5.

6. Cars/trucks by-dealer in the United States—$5.

Visa, MasterCard, and American Express are accepted for payment.

Paid posting accounts provide additional payment options in many cases.

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

  I have to laugh when I see ads that say 'must be honest and trustworthy' ... I just wonder if someone would decline to apply because they're not trustworthy.  If I can't trust them, I don't think they'll tell me in the interview that they might make off with the church silver.

 Ah, it's been one of those weeks.  Trying to hire summer help to watch small children and one 20-something came to the interview and

said 'I really don't like kids'  surprise

me: 'Why are you applying for this job?!'

answer: 'My mom told me I had to get my lazy butt out the door'

sad

NEXT!

 

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Seashanty posted: answer: 'My mom told me I had to get my lazy butt out the door'

That made me chuckle.  Thanks!

__________________

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov

 

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

We as a town struggle outside of the school term - ie fits in with mums drop off kids at school and then come to work finish about 2.30 which gives time to pick them up - trouble in the holidays childcare costs more than we can pay them ie £10 an hour at least.

__________________

Don't mess with me today or I will kill you!!!!

 

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

Thanks. So it's because it's the Boston area.  $25.  Glad to know I hadn't missed something. 

 

Joey Bloggs wrote:

seashanty wrote:

 I'm confused  I work for three non profits and when we post help wanted ads on Craigslist, we have to pay. It's not expensive, but not free.

Can you tell me how you post a free help wanted ad there?

 

 

Just saw this for you:

All craigslist postings are free, except for:

1. Job postings in SF Bay Area—$75 per job per category (e.g. 1 job in 2 categories is $150).

2. Job postings in the following areas—$25 per job per category (e.g. 1 job in 2 categories is $50):

Atlanta, Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Central NJ, Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Inland Empire, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Long Island, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Nashville, New York City, North Jersey, Orange County, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Portland, Raleigh, Sacramento, St. Louis , San Antonio, San Diego, Seattle, South Florida, Tampa, Washington DC.

3. Brokered apartment rentals in New York City—$10.

4. Therapeutic services in the United States—$10 (reposting of live ads $5).

5. Tickets by-dealer in the United States—$5.

6. Cars/trucks by-dealer in the United States—$5.

Visa, MasterCard, and American Express are accepted for payment.

Paid posting accounts provide additional payment options in many cases.

OnTheShore's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/28/2011

We have an "employment opportunities" page on our website at http://www.harborfields.com/jobs.html

We put this together a week ago when searching for a maintenance worker who could also do cleaning. We advertised that position on Craigslist (free) and Indeed.com (costs money but they give you $50 credit when you sign up, so free at first), as well as our local Chamber of Commerce.

We have addressed our cleaning needs for this season by hiring a contract cleaning service to supplement the work of our own crew. Of course the service is just a local woman and some of her associates, but they are independent contractors (and subcontractors) rather than our employees.

 

__________________

"where even time relaxes...."

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

I am going to try Craigslist first...here is what i currently have:

 

PT Seasonal Housekeeper Wanted (TOWN OF XYZ Hotel)

We are currently looking for a part time seasonal housekeeper. Hours require weekend work: 11am to 3pm as needed. Days will vary.

Spring, Summer and Fall employment 

Must:

*Be a hard worker.
*Have a good work ethic
*Have daytime availability.
*Have dependable transportation to and from work.
*Be able to work with minimal supervision.

No experience required as long as you are a hard worker and dependable!
Good English speaking is not required.

WEEKENDS ARE MANDATORY.

Duties include: Clean and make up rooms and bathrooms for guests. This includes: scrubbing shower/toilet/sink/floors, dusting, vacuuming and more. We will provide all cleaning supplies.

Have ability to climb stairs frequently to rooms on second floor, carry linens, and lift 25 lbs, Must be able to follow instructions. Rate: $12 per room cleaned and made up (approx. 1 hr per room). You must be able to clean and make up 1 room in an hour.

Must be dependable. Walk to work or your own transport.

Cleanliness is a priority task in this job.

We are located in the Town of XYZ. Email your interest, no phone calls please.

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010



I want a way of putting - in the accommodation industry reviews are everything and candidate must understand that and put cleanliness as their highest priority - attention to any maintenance issues is also key to this role.

TheBeachHouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/24/2013

Joey Camb wrote:



I want a way of putting - in the accommodation industry reviews are everything and candidate must understand that and put cleanliness as their highest priority - attention to any maintenance issues is also key to this role.

If you put maintenance in the ad, it might sound like you want a handyman and scare off good cleaning people.   I'd save that for the interview.

OnTheShore's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/28/2011

TheBeachHouse wrote:

Joey Camb wrote:

I want a way of putting - in the accommodation industry reviews are everything and candidate must understand that and put cleanliness as their highest priority - attention to any maintenance issues is also key to this role.

If you put maintenance in the ad, it might sound like you want a handyman and scare off good cleaning people.   I'd save that for the interview.

It is really a training issue -- you want the person to be cognizant of maintenance issues and report them right away so that you the manager can arrange to get them fixed, not necessarily that they will be capable of fixing the issues themselves.

We had a situation last year where we discovered on inspection that the cleaners had failed to flush one of the toilets (it had stuff in it!). We brought them back to review their work generally, and then they claimed that the toilet was broken (indeed it was) and they had meant to tell us but they forgot.

So no, the cleaner doesn't need to be able to fix things, but they do need to tell you when things are broken!

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

that's why I put "way of putting" because the chamber maid is my eyes in the rooms every day they see everything - if there is a problem and I want to know NOW! before it breaks, falls off the wall etc

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.