Guest Reactions can be SO different!

6 replies [Last post]
seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

i just checked in two couples ... they are probably in their late 60's, early 70's.  laughing and happy like children, oohing and aahing, looking all around, exploring the building, chattering away ...  the place is beautiful, the rooms are beautiful, the location is beautiful, the brownies are delicious. 

contrast with another check in to those same rooms two days ago ... one couple who hardly said a word, the other couple who said they would have to 'make do' with the place, the room, the food, the village.  i could not tell if they were unhappy with one another, with me or with life.

their reactions are so very different ...   i guess it's just the different personalities. 

two days ago, the sun was shinging.  today it is grey and showers are here.  do these guests seem at all phased by the weather?  not one bit.  amazing.  i have a feeling that tonight's guests have fun wherever they stay.  mental note to myself to be a guest like that!!

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

their reactions are so very different ...   i guess it's just the different personalities.

Happens all the time here.  Of course I am partial to the guest who notice all the little touches and appreciate my place. The others go on the "they stay they pay they go away" list.

Some people have a zest for life.  Some people are actually NICE people.  Some people are fun. Some people are thankful. Some people work HARD for their money so it is a treat to getaway like that.  Some people are appreciative. Some people are decent.

Are those who act like they have been insulted to stay with us decent? NOPE.  Unappreciative, ungrateful, spoiled brats.  There is nothing you can do to please them.  They know when they booked it is not $1000 per night spa, so get over it already.  I feel sorry for THOSE people as they miss the best life has to offer.

Give me an old beat up pick up with a couple of good humored southerners in the cab anyday to a mercedes with a lady whose eyebrows are up on her forehead and she has no laugh lines thanks to botox.  ANY DAY!  EVEN IF YOU WERE ONE OF THEM, they would try to out do you, and not care or respect you anyway. JONESES.

__________________

"What the country needs is dirtier fingernails and cleaner minds." Will Rogers

 

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

You know what is interesting to me? (Of course you do, but here's something new. ha, ha) We get guests who are timid. Maybe this is the first time they try a B&B, maybe the last try wasn't so good, maybe they are just shy to begin with. I can actually SEE them relaxing the more they talk with hubs. This works especially well on the guys who were 'talked into' staying a B&B, or the guys who think all male B&B owners are gay or whatever their particular bias is about B&B's.

They start off with their noses behind the paper or staring straight ahead drinking their coffee. Next thing I know there's a big conversation going on and these guys are all looking for a way to get in on it without appearing to care and then they give that up too and just go for it.

Sometimes it takes til the next day, but most of them leave here saying they didn't realize, this was fun, it was good to meet us, etc.

It probably helps that hubs can talk Navy, cars, politics, big business, foreign affairs and that he is just a good conversationalist. He gets a conversation going and keeps it going by asking questions.

__________________

Never judge a person's story by the chapter you walked in on.

 

YellowSocks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

JunieBJones (JBJ) wrote:
Are those who act like they have been insulted to stay with us decent? NOPE.  Unappreciative, ungrateful, spoiled brats.  There is nothing you can do to please them.  They know when they booked it is not $1000 per night spa, so get over it already.  I feel sorry for THOSE people as they miss the best life has to offer.

I agree.

And I always suspect if I charged them 2 or 3 times more they'd be significantly happier...

=)
Kk.

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

seashanty wrote:

i just checked in two couples ... they are probably in their late 60's, early 70's.  laughing and happy like children, oohing and aahing, looking all around, exploring the building, chattering away ...  the place is beautiful, the rooms are beautiful, the location is beautiful, the brownies are delicious. 

contrast with another check in to those same rooms two days ago ... one couple who hardly said a word, the other couple who said they would have to 'make do' with the place, the room, the food, the village.  i could not tell if they were unhappy with one another, with me or with life.

their reactions are so very different ...   i guess it's just the different personalities. 

two days ago, the sun was shinging.  today it is grey and showers are here.  do these guests seem at all phased by the weather?  not one bit.  amazing.  i have a feeling that tonight's guests have fun wherever they stay.  mental note to myself to be a guest like that!!

My note to self...'Be a person like that!'

Our guests likewise...pouring down rain, happly little clams. I showed one to the room to use the bathroom. HE showed the others to their rooms as I would just have been in the way. They came down praising the rooms. They LOVED them. Others? They do or don't depending on what they were expecting or where they were last night!

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

last check ins are here ... they like their room tonite but are over to the island tomorrow nite and then in a different (and much smaller) room here the next nite.  i don't know what they will think of the other room.  as a guest, i've never been in one room and then had to move to a smaller room the next nite ... as an innkeeper, it makes me feel tense.  we'll see. 

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

seashanty wrote:

last check ins are here ... they like their room tonite but are over to the island tomorrow nite and then in a different (and much smaller) room here the next nite.  i don't know what they will think of the other room.  as a guest, i've never been in one room and then had to move to a smaller room the next nite ... as an innkeeper, it makes me feel tense.  we'll see. 

We do that a lot to get the booking. 2 nights one room, 1 night another room. It's always better when the second room is an upgrade but it is what it is. Most of the time the guest just wants to be HERE and the room change is not a problem. If they don't want to be here, they go elsewhere to get 3 nights in a row. (Not as much of an option where you are, I know.)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.