Naming FB photos

27 replies [Last post]
Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

I think I know the answer to this but will ask anyway. JB has reminded us many times that the names we give photos on our website are picked up by search engines, so we would always put the property name and town name in the names of the photos we post.

But does the photo name mean anything on Facebook? Does uploading it named "Fun at my place, my town.jpg" have any benefit over uploading it as "CIMG2330.jpg"?

__________________

All saints can do miracles, but few of them can keep hotel. ~ Mark Twain

 

dumitru's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/07/2013

Where it matters, the recommended formatting of images goes like this:

this-is-my-hotel.jpg

So basically, don't use spaces (just to be safe), don't use special characters, don't use uppercase, and use "-" to split the words instead of the underscore.

But yes, this is completely useless for FB.

__________________

https://www.hermesthemes.com/ - WordPress Themes for Independent Hotels, Inns and B&Bs

 

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I have been renaming mine this way since JB slapped me up the side of the head about photo name. (will have to stop using upper case though)

LogHouse-Gillum_House.jpg  Will start using the new way now. I do not know where all i have the others at this point in time.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

gillumhouse wrote:

I have been renaming mine this way since JB slapped me up the side of the head about photo name. (will have to stop using upper case though)

LogHouse-Gillum_House.jpg  Will start using the new way now. I do not know where all i have the others at this point in time.

Don't be afraid to use the words ElopeWV loghouse-Gillumhouse.jpg  in every photo name.  That is very valuable real estate. yes

if there is one thing people search images are weddings and elopements. Smiling

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

gillumhouse wrote:

LogHouse-Gillum_House.jpg  Will start using the new way now. I do not know where all i have the others at this point in time.

I don't like the hyphens and as the article Empty Nest pointed us to yesterday said, search engines have no problem with blank spaces as they read web pages, so they can handle spaces in filenames too. But I'll use the hyphens just to be safe. Just don't like them!

Also, "just to be safe" from what? Are the hyphens just because 20 years ago DOS couldn't handle filenames with spaces in them? That was fixed long ago. I suspect spaces in filenames are no problem now, and never will be again.

dumitru's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/07/2013

Arks wrote:

gillumhouse wrote:

LogHouse-Gillum_House.jpg  Will start using the new way now. I do not know where all i have the others at this point in time.

I don't like the hyphens and as the article Empty Nest pointed us to yesterday said, search engines have no problem with blank spaces as they read web pages, so they can handle spaces in filenames too. But I'll use the hyphens just to be safe. Just don't like them!

Also, "just to be safe" from what? Are the hyphens just because 20 years ago DOS couldn't handle filenames with spaces in them? That was fixed long ago. I suspect spaces in filenames are no problem now, and never will be again.

It is not just about DOS.

In the past 5 years I have had multiple customers with problems on their websites, different scripts weren't working properly, especially ones that were manipulating photos in some way.

The most frequent cause was users having file names similar to this:
I.like.lots.of.dots.and.some.âccéntéd.letters.com.20.04.2009.jpg

There are some things that just break from stuff like this, so when possible, do it right.
Having a space instead of a "-" shouldn't give you any benefits, not now, not in the nearest future...

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Arks wrote:

gillumhouse wrote:

LogHouse-Gillum_House.jpg  Will start using the new way now. I do not know where all i have the others at this point in time.

I don't like the hyphens and as the article Empty Nest pointed us to yesterday said, search engines have no problem with blank spaces as they read web pages, so they can handle spaces in filenames too. But I'll use the hyphens just to be safe. Just don't like them!

Also, "just to be safe" from what? Are the hyphens just because 20 years ago DOS couldn't handle filenames with spaces in them? That was fixed long ago. I suspect spaces in filenames are no problem now, and never will be again.

YES, agreed

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

double dip - only hit save once. I know it was once.

Offline
Joined:
01/12/2013

Ok, so, if putting room name, inn name, and city name (as suggested), it would read as:

blue-room,seaside-inn,astoria-or.jpg

Correct?

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

BananaE29 wrote:

Ok, so, if putting room name, inn name, and city name (as suggested), it would read as:

blue-room,seaside-inn,astoria-or.jpg

Correct?

Blue-room-seaside-inn-astoria-oregon.jpg

or for your own purposes, example:

Blue-room-web-seaside-inn-astoria-oregon.jpg

dumitru's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/07/2013

Joey Bloggs wrote:

BananaE29 wrote:

Ok, so, if putting room name, inn name, and city name (as suggested), it would read as:

blue-room,seaside-inn,astoria-or.jpg

Correct?

Blue-room-seaside-inn-astoria-oregon.jpg

or for your own purposes, example:

Blue-room-web-seaside-inn-astoria-oregon.jpg

Ditto.

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Are we talking about the actual image file name? Or the ALT TEXT? Guess I wasn't paying attention.

I know you should never leave it as it comes out of the camera.wink

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/name-your-website-files-for-better...

Offline
Joined:
01/12/2013

Thank you for the article.  I am questioning the actual image file name?  So...I know this must seem a stupid question...all the pictures that are currently on my website, that have been uploaded to my server...if I change the name of the pictures on MY computer, then will I need to go back in to the website and re-upload the pictures? 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Yes. The photos loaded to your website are probably not speaking to the same photo on your computer. If they were you would not be able to turn your computer off or your website would go down.

Pita! Totally. But useful down the road. Do a couple a day.

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Offline
Joined:
01/12/2013

Got cha.  Thanks again, everyone

Offline
Joined:
01/12/2013

Well, back I go then.  I don't know why I inserted commas.  Thanks for the help

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

dumitru wrote:

Where it matters, the recommended formatting of images goes like this:

this-is-my-hotel.jpg

So basically, don't use spaces (just to be safe), don't use special characters, don't use uppercase, and use "-" to split the words instead of the underscore.

But yes, this is completely useless for FB.

Thanks!

Offline
Joined:
01/12/2013

I'm so glad you posted this today, as a reminder to those of us that continually have good intentions, but never remember to do it.  I am just about to upload new pictures to my site of a room that I remodeled (I'll post them here too, for fun Smiling ).  So all I need to do is rename the picture www.myinn.com  or guestroom_myinn.....something like that? 

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

BananaE29 wrote:

So all I need to do is rename the picture www.myinn.com  or guestroom_myinn.....something like that? 

I give them names like...

X bedroom, Y Guesthouse, Z Arkansas USA.jpg

...where X is the name of the suite, Y is the name of my guesthouse, and Z is the name of my town. What you're after is to have them pop up in Google Images if somebody does a web search on your town or your property. So you wouldn't put your web address because if they know that, they can already find your site. The main thing, I guess, is the town name. That way, if someone Googles your town name, they're likely to find your place's photos in the images that come up for the town.

Offline
Joined:
01/12/2013

Do you put spaces in between the words...As in Seaside Inn....or SeasideInn.  I'm sure that seems like a dumb question, but I've seen it all kinds of ways, and I want to do it the right way.

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

BananaE29 wrote:

Do you put spaces in between the words...As in Seaside Inn....

Yes. It's almost like writing a photo caption, and indeed, when you hover the mouse over a photo on my website, the photo name pops up, so having it like a caption helps there too.

Offline
Joined:
01/12/2013

Thank You Smiling

 

Offline
Joined:
01/12/2013

Dang, that's a lot of typing.  I better get busy Smiling

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

BananaE29 wrote:

Dang, that's a lot of typing.  I better get busy Smiling

Remember the repeated stuff (property name and location) is the same on every one so can be copied and pasted as you name/rename the photo files. Of course, make sure renaming them doesn't break links to them! In Wordpress I can name media (image files) and WP handles keeping the website links intact. 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Use the force luke.

Optimize any photo that is YOURS by putting your URL or guesthouse name on it. The actual file name is useless on FB, like everything else that gets sucked into the vortex there.

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

That's what I figured. I don't guess FB stuff will ever show up in Google searches. I don't think they much like each other Eye-wink

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

As Harborfields said, it doesn't matter what you name it. What does matter, is that you use some sort of photo software (free online..I use picmonkey) and put your inn's name, and/or web address on the photo. You want your name to follow that photo anywhere it travels.

OnTheShore's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/28/2011

FB gives the photos their own name/number when you upload them, so it really doesn't matter what you call them.

__________________

"where even time relaxes...."

 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.