What is it?

16 replies [Last post]
Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Totally off topic...

Found this bone in a creek bed, it was caught up in tree roots and debris. I am hesitant to go to the police if it is a cow or deer bone, but it appears to be a human femur.  Please take a look, and tell me what you think. I used my arm to show the length and girth of the bone (one image shows front and then back near my arm) HERE

It seems too narrow for a cow femur, but then I really don't know.

If you think I should go to police, please tell me.

Background: This is at the base of a large natural area preserve, there are NO COWS there. But maybe a dog had a bone? The water ONLY comes down this hill in this small creek. Not from anywhere else.

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

So no one here said it wasn't human, gee thanks. I have a story to go with it now, we drove through mcDees for a biscuit and I asked if they had a large plastic bag (we couldn't get this thing with greasy biscuit fingers or bag) and we went to get it.

We went to our town PD and walked in with a mcDees bag. The officer opened it and said "Wow that's a whopper!" crying  Yeah a guy who was "humorous"

More came out and they believe it is a deer bone, but will check it out. I hoped since they all hunt they would know immediately. They didn't pull it out to look tho, and took it into the back.

Country Girl's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/20/2009

Take it to the police. If nothing comes of it, that's a good thing and it's a good story to tell you guests.

__________________

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Maya Angelou

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Country Girl wrote:

Take it to the police. If nothing comes of it, that's a good thing and it's a good story to tell you guests.

Uh not going to tell guests about human bones possibly laying around where I send them to hike! haha  Some stories we keep to ourselves. cool

Country Girl's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/20/2009

Joey Bloggs wrote:

Country Girl wrote:

Take it to the police. If nothing comes of it, that's a good thing and it's a good story to tell you guests.

Uh not going to tell guests about human bones possibly laying around where I send them to hike! haha  Some stories we keep to ourselves. cool

Really? You could start with "It was a dark and stormy night...." smiley

 

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Remember what my daughter told me - do not forget the cement.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Country Girl wrote:

Joey Bloggs wrote:

Country Girl wrote:

Take it to the police. If nothing comes of it, that's a good thing and it's a good story to tell you guests.

Uh not going to tell guests about human bones possibly laying around where I send them to hike! haha  Some stories we keep to ourselves. cool

Really? You could start with "It was a dark and stormy night...." smiley

 

Kind of like today...guests need to remember we have big back yards and plenty of place to hide the...

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Joey Bloggs wrote:

Kind of like today...guests need to remember we have big back yards and plenty of place to hide the...

smileysmiley

Remember, I told you it's OK to sic the dog on 'em, too!

__________________

All saints can do miracles, but few of them can keep hotel. ~ Mark Twain

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

another day of innkeeping

My to do list:

“Get rooms ready for check in, buy strawberries and bring human bone to the police”

Still not sure if it is human, will be embarrassed if not, and not be happy if it is! So better do it!

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Joey Bloggs wrote:

...but it appears to be a human femur.  

Femur is the thigh bone, so you should be comparing it to your shapely thigh. A femur generally has a larger "ball", on a longer extension, at one end that fits into the hip.

The lower arm bones, the ulna and the radius, are thin. What you found is not from the lower arm, where you're comparing to in the photo.

The upper arm bone, the humerus between the shoulder and the elbow, is one big solid bone. It has a smaller, shorter ball on it to connect to the shoulder. That's what yours looks like. A humerus. Perhaps of a Neanderthal. Eye-wink

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Arks wrote:

Joey Bloggs wrote:

...but it appears to be a human femur.  

Femur is the thigh bone, so you should be comparing it to your shapely thigh. A femur generally has a larger "ball", on a longer extension, at one end that fits into the hip.

I wrote that I put it to my arm to show the size and girth (to scale it).  After we saw it we continued on our hike and DD17 and I were discussing it. We talked about inaccuracy of witness ID "He was tall with black hair" the next "He was short and stout and bald" the next "a young greasy haired teen about 5'10" etc.

So I asked her what size the bone was and I shared what I thought. We decided we better go back and find out and I was using my arm as "scale" for the object. We were both wrong, btw in our estimation and recollection of the size.

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Joey Bloggs wrote:

We were both wrong, btw in our estimation and recollection of the size.

My attorney friend is always saying that eye witness testimony is mostly worthless, though juries always believe it.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I would have it checked. If you hav enot moved it yer, don't. but I hope regardless you took LOTS of photos of the area as a just in case position could tell a story.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

gillumhouse wrote:

I would have it checked. If you hav enot moved it yer, don't. but I hope regardless you took LOTS of photos of the area as a just in case position could tell a story.

That is what I mentioned, it was in a creek bed, caught up in roots, it is not in any original location or I would have left it. It came down stream, no doubt about it in a gullywasher.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

We actually found dolphin bones in the forest. Don't ask!

Okay I will tell...apparently the biologists who are called in to do autopsies on dolphins on the beach dispose of them when done out in the woods for the wildlife to find, and not people NEAR the beach to find.

There is a young lady missing here since 2012. This is why I am concerned. A shallow grave and all of that. Having lived in PacNW where all the newsworthy serial killers have lived like Green River Killer and Ted Bundy they liked to deposit in these type areas and then hikers or bikers or whomever stumble upon them later on. Yes, part of our conversation today...

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

 mark the spot and take it in ... or call someone to come out.

 if it's nothing, no harm done. but imagine if it is human - it's part of someone who's likely been missing for a long time.  you'll be glad to have helped find them.

 

Offline
Joined:
05/07/2014

Don't worry about it and take it in. It's probably a femur from a dog or deer. Take it in and enjoy the story you will have to tell. Down in Florida, I called in some bones we stumbled on hiking, "They told us it happens regularly, no worry. And checked it out." They were animal, not people in our case. whew...

 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.