Here's something to think about

71 replies [Last post]
Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

If you buy an inn turnkey and the previous owners (of many) did not get permits or do thing properly you will be the one to pay for it.

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

In the news there are people who do horrible things, to people they know, to strangers. Just want to mention that up front. Lock up their children in boxes for years, chop up their wives, whatever, it happens every day.

And so...

in the middle of massive work here, in tshirt and shorts and moving furniture, and huge project someone is at the door. This woman wants to see the rooms for sept. Long story short her husband cannot make it up the front steps and is outside and wants to see our rooms.

Without details, after we stop everything to show HER the rooms, he then says "Well I have to go to the restroom, and bad" so we tell him it is only upstairs.  So the plot thickens, he then has to see the rooms...

he says he "doesn't dislike them" when she says if he likes them along the way. then they get to the room with the steps entering (sunken) and the outside stairway. This is the room he wants. They can use the outside entrance.

I said "you know there are stairs there..." she said "Well is there no light out there?" I am like dodging the obvious, YOUR HUSBAND CAN BARELY WALK LADY!

She talks to me some more and I ask if she would liek to reserve that room. She says "Well maybe..."

she them says "What sort of discount can you offer me on it?"

Are you friggin' kiddin' me? You interrupt everything, waste our time for one night in sept for a major concert and pull this crap? One room one night.  I said, we do not offer those, sorry. She said "Well I saw something online..."

I said "Yes an online discount if you book the room online" she said "Well I will probably do that" and they amble out of here.

Now, gut instinct says...someone who knew the other guy (yes the building dept said everything was kosher) but he sent in spies? 

I am way too intuitive, see red flags and clues where the avg bear doesn't. I don't believe this for a second. I had NOT put out my sign on the front door so I answered it! I put it out while they were here, To quote the Who "I won't get fooled again!"

Offline
Joined:
01/12/2013

I have a sign on the front door that says "Tours By Appointment Only".  In ten years, I've had maybe 5 people still ring the bell wanting to see the rooms.  The answer is almost always no.  I've got no problem saying "No" to that.   What does your sign say that you referred to?

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

BananaE29 wrote:

I have a sign on the front door that says "Tours By Appointment Only".  In ten years, I've had maybe 5 people still ring the bell wanting to see the rooms.  The answer is almost always no.  I've got no problem saying "No" to that.   What does your sign say that you referred to?

It says similar, by appt only, blah blah blah...but it was NOT out yet. I got stuck into a project and neglected to put it out. Mother Murphy's law of innkeeping.

 

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

Wow... I never let anyone even in the front door. That's why there is a website, so they can see the pictures. Too easy to steal something, or worse. I have guest belongings under my charge. 

Does it mean that I lose reservations? Maybe. So what, I have my safety and sanity to keep. I may also have gotten reservation from it, seeing that I care for my guests and their possessions or pure curiosity that isn't satisfied by not being able to see. Either way, it's perfectly fine with me. Maybe you need to simply refuse outside access.

__________________

Permission to quote in whole or in part, other than usage on this forum, is entirely forbidden.

 

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

see this is something I am on the fence with - I am happy to do show rounds if I have rooms vacant but not ones with stuff in. However every time ive had people at the door to look round its been when things are a zoo - ie we shut for a week in august 2 years ago - nice couple came to scout out for a group later in the year, everything was a disaster as we were bringing in new beds, mum was counting laundry in the lounge - funnily enough they never booked!

However - after pushing from My bb coach did a guests survey - various questions but one was what is your greatest fear when you have booked

number 1 was - that is isn't like the web site - ie pictures pictures pictures!

2 - not clean

3 - booked out

__________________

Don't mess with me today or I will kill you!!!!

 

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

There is also one other thing... the house is one one of the most beautiful streets in the city and I have a Victorian aged home. So sometimes people think that since I'm a B&B that this is their chance to see the inside of one of these beautiful homes. It is... if they pay the entry fee... staying here. (Maybe I should offer tours for a price as a way of supplementing my income.)

I get phone calls from time-to-time asking if people can book just for breakfast. Nope, it's only available for those that stay here. (You should see how surprised they are when I say that the only way to get in for breakfast is to have slept here. I sometimes say that we are one of the most exclusive breakfast places in the city, you can't buy breakfast!)

If they want to satisfy their curiosity, they need to pay the price.

And then there is the safety issue....

Offline
Joined:
01/12/2013

Good grief!  Let's hope your intuition is wrong this time and these were just some flakes that happened off the street.  Sorry you dealt with these idiots today!

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Sorry, Folks. It only took care of the one Diva posted. The ones that quoted are still there. Swirt saw Divas's gone and thought it was taken care of. I have given him ALL the places it appears so he can now remove ALL of them. A quote lock everything in it.

swirt's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/17/2008

All the same photo, its gone in all posts, it is just that anyone that saw it already is going to be getting it from their browser's cache.  I can't control that.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Ir is gone now in mine.

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

swirt, since I'm the one who originally posted, you have my permission to remove.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Breakfast Diva wrote:

swirt, since I'm the one who originally posted, you have my permission to remove.

Just delete the photo from your photo list. It should disappear. You can't delete the text but the photo should go away.

__________________

Everyday, for good or ill, we intersect with some else's story and become a part of it.

 

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Thanks Maddie! That worked.

happykeeper's picture
Offline
Joined:
12/11/2008

I would say this thread has gotten way off track. You may want to consider removing it. Thank goodness it isn't the place we spent the last 15 years working so hard to build up. surprise

__________________

Take a leap.... and a net will appear

 

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

happykeeper wrote:

I would say this thread has gotten way off track. You may want to consider removing it. Thank goodness it isn't the place we spent the last 15 years working so hard to build up. surprise

Good point. Can someone remove the photo?

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Since there was a reply - only Swirt can remove it.  Request sent via e-mail.

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

  I feel bad that we are knocking the place for being the bates motel ... hope he/she/they have a good sense of humor if they spot their inn pic here.

  Anyway ... I forgive A LOT if i like the innkeeper.  or if they are obviously trying really hard ...

 

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

 this is absolutely incredible to read about!  talk about frivolous complaints!

 i am just amazed they would continue this harassment ...

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

seashanty wrote:

 this is absolutely incredible to read about!  talk about frivolous complaints!

 i am just amazed they would continue this harassment ...

It was mentioned below about the bully mentality. Yes, that is it right there, 100%. This has brought back other instances here of this, the lady who walked behind her husband and never spoke and showed up with bruises on her face at breakfast.  Lawd help us all dealing with the public!

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Harassment is right and if it continues..I think I would consider suing them for it as well. See what they think then.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

EmptyNest wrote:

Harassment is right and if it continues..I think I would consider suing them for it as well. See what they think then.

We forgot to tell the inspector that they never even stayed here. I know it doesn't matter but we wanted him to know that. That he was being used.

We talk about this sorta thing on here all the time, when someone asks about stairs and we cannot ask them if they can make it up stairs, we just state what we have. and all of that.

The dinner cruise that I had been booking for guests the last two seasons would always ask me over the phone about disabilities. I would tell them the same thing "We aren't allowed to ask" and I never knew anyway, not until someone walks or hobbles, or rolls in the door. They always got mad "We have to know!" I said, well if they didn't tell me I can't tell you. I don't and won't ask.

Great world we live in isn't it. I think having porch steps maybe one of the greatest things here, it eliminates half of them (those who are here to stir things up ADA wise) right off the bat.

Joey Camb's picture
Offline
Joined:
04/02/2010

what baffles me the most is in the UK it is a legal requirement to have what is called an access statement - detailed description of your property, how many steps to front door from parking, how many steps in, to each floor and so on I have even included photo's in mine - no one looks at it never I can see on my web site stats.

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Joey Bloggs wrote:

EmptyNest wrote:

Harassment is right and if it continues..I think I would consider suing them for it as well. See what they think then.

 I think having porch steps maybe one of the greatest things here, it eliminates half of them (those who are here to stir things up ADA wise) right off the bat.

Speaking of steps, check this one out. This b&b says nowhere on it's website that it has a major number of stairs to climb. And no, there is no back entrance without stairs. Oh, there is also NO picture of them on the website either. I just can't imagine dealing with guests who drive up and find out for themselves there's no way out of these and you have to haul all your luggage up them too.

TA reviews talk about them, but not the website.

and the stairs start way down where those trucks are parked! No elevator inside either

 

Anon Inn's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/26/2011

I believe this is still top rated in its town on TA.  Its a head-scratcher.

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Yes, you're right. Rated #1 in their town. I've stayed there and I don't get it, except the innkeeper is quite personable.

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Breakfast Diva wrote:

Yes, you're right. Rated #1 in their town. I've stayed there and I don't get it, except the innkeeper is quite personable.

Lots of guests, customers, clients forgive a lot if the owner is personable!

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

Take a look at my blog about our trip in Nevada. I posted the photo of the first flight of stairs. The second flight was just as many steps but went around a corner.

Reading the reviews later on I see where someone mentioned you could park in back and go in the back door!

The barkeep never mentioned a parking lot in back or other doors!

I was actually sick after doing those stairs with my suitcase. And we do stairs here all the time!

If that photo is on their website I would certainly assume I was going in that door! (Says the innkeeper who has had 2 separate guests walk into her personal space today thinking it was the entry door. No stairs, of course that's the door we want! I had to go lock the door.)

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Madeleine wrote:

Take a look at my blog about our trip in Nevada. I posted the photo of the first flight of stairs. The second flight was just as many steps but went around a corner.

Reading the reviews later on I see where someone mentioned you could park in back and go in the back door!

The barkeep never mentioned a parking lot in back or other doors!

I was actually sick after doing those stairs with my suitcase. And we do stairs here all the time!

If that photo is on their website I would certainly assume I was going in that door! (Says the innkeeper who has had 2 separate guests walk into her personal space today thinking it was the entry door. No stairs, of course that's the door we want! I had to go lock the door.)

Nope, that photo is not on their website! This is what's on the website:

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Breakfast Diva wrote:

Madeleine wrote:

Take a look at my blog about our trip in Nevada. I posted the photo of the first flight of stairs. The second flight was just as many steps but went around a corner.

Reading the reviews later on I see where someone mentioned you could park in back and go in the back door!

The barkeep never mentioned a parking lot in back or other doors!

I was actually sick after doing those stairs with my suitcase. And we do stairs here all the time!

If that photo is on their website I would certainly assume I was going in that door! (Says the innkeeper who has had 2 separate guests walk into her personal space today thinking it was the entry door. No stairs, of course that's the door we want! I had to go lock the door.)

Nope, that photo is not on their website! This is what's on the website:

Having you? eek freaky wording. "Having you as our guest" or something. I am beginning to get weirded out as I think I see Norman's mother sitting in the front window in a rocker knitting and wearing a shawl. (CTRL +) 

"Cut off the stairs to spite their..."

Madeleine's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/29/2011

I took a photo of my mother in the attic in a rocking chair with a shawl over her shoulders. She was laughing too much to make it spooky but it was fun!

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

Joey Bloggs wrote:

Breakfast Diva wrote:

Madeleine wrote:

Take a look at my blog about our trip in Nevada. I posted the photo of the first flight of stairs. The second flight was just as many steps but went around a corner.

Reading the reviews later on I see where someone mentioned you could park in back and go in the back door!

The barkeep never mentioned a parking lot in back or other doors!

I was actually sick after doing those stairs with my suitcase. And we do stairs here all the time!

If that photo is on their website I would certainly assume I was going in that door! (Says the innkeeper who has had 2 separate guests walk into her personal space today thinking it was the entry door. No stairs, of course that's the door we want! I had to go lock the door.)

Nope, that photo is not on their website! This is what's on the website:

Having you? eek freaky wording. "Having you as our guest" or something. I am beginning to get weirded out as I think I see Norman's mother sitting in the front window in a rocker knitting and wearing a shawl. (CTRL +) 

"Cut off the stairs to spite their..."

 

hahahaha     eeeek eeeek eeeek

  pass the wine, please. i am totally enjoying myself here.  no offense intended to that b&b wherever it is ... it does look 'bates-ish'.  Smiling

 

 

 

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Even the foliage screams, "Norman, come back...."

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Now THAT'S funny!!!!

Silverspoon's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/16/2011

heartheartheart

You should not have to put up with this...not fair...no way.  Hang on, better days are coming.

__________________

Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade.
Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)

 

Offline
Joined:
07/23/2008

I'm glad it turned out ok. But I'm sorry you had to go through this.... <3 

__________________

Sunshine

 

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

HOORAY!!!! Of course we knew all along that there wouldn't be, but the stress and harassment they have put you through is horrible.

Does this also mean the ADA issue is resolved?

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Breakfast Diva wrote:

HOORAY!!!! Of course we knew all along that there wouldn't be, but the stress and harassment they have put you through is horrible.

Does this also mean the ADA issue is resolved?

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Yeah no ADA as you know. He told DH if you add on or build there will be. Yes, we know. ugh

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

Joey Bloggs wrote:

Breakfast Diva wrote:

HOORAY!!!! Of course we knew all along that there wouldn't be, but the stress and harassment they have put you through is horrible.

Does this also mean the ADA issue is resolved?

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Yeah no ADA as you know. He told DH if you add on or build there will be. Yes, we know. ugh

Oh, I sooooooooo want to retaliate on these people!!! Good thing I don't have their info!

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

I just got a visual of a mob of innkeepers wearing aprons throwing eggs and lighting bacon fat like Molotov cocktails!

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Joey Bloggs wrote:

I just got a visual of a mob of innkeepers wearing aprons throwing eggs and lighting bacon fat like Molotov cocktails!

I'm picturing more of a charge up San Juan Hill.

You will sleep well tonight, Dutch Boy.

On the bright side, I guess it's good to know, officially, that you're in compliance with codes and such.

__________________

All saints can do miracles, but few of them can keep hotel. ~ Mark Twain

 

Offline
Joined:
06/24/2008

Joey Bloggs wrote:

I just got a visual of a mob of innkeepers wearing aprons throwing eggs and lighting bacon fat like Molotov cocktails!

 

I think this jerk calls for more suitable ammo that we deal with - junk we pull out of clogged drains for starters -

JB so very glad all worked out to be fine.  They said YOU LIED, well ain't that the pot calling the kettle - they had to have lied to the these gov. folks to have them call to action.  Would be justice if the county officials could charge a fee for false reporting.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Copperhead wrote:

Joey Bloggs wrote:

I just got a visual of a mob of innkeepers wearing aprons throwing eggs and lighting bacon fat like Molotov cocktails!

 

I think this jerk calls for more suitable ammo that we deal with - junk we pull out of clogged drains for starters -

JB so very glad all worked out to be fine.  They said YOU LIED, well ain't that the pot calling the kettle - they had to have lied to the these gov. folks to have them call to action.  Would be justice if the county officials could charge a fee for false reporting.

No this was not the same scenario. This was the nut job dobbing us in for health and safety, they feared for their lives apparently, the skunk. Our rooms kill people you know. 

Offline
Joined:
06/24/2008

Joey Bloggs wrote:

Copperhead wrote:

Joey Bloggs wrote:

I just got a visual of a mob of innkeepers wearing aprons throwing eggs and lighting bacon fat like Molotov cocktails!

 

I think this jerk calls for more suitable ammo that we deal with - junk we pull out of clogged drains for starters -

JB so very glad all worked out to be fine.  They said YOU LIED, well ain't that the pot calling the kettle - they had to have lied to the these gov. folks to have them call to action.  Would be justice if the county officials could charge a fee for false reporting.

No this was not the same scenario. This was the nut job dobbing us in for health and safety, they feared for their lives apparently, the skunk. Our rooms kill people you know. 

Yikes, I thought it was just one pita lately. 

I picture you and DH answering the door in a full coat of armor!

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Copperhead wrote:

I picture you and DH answering the door in a full coat of armor!

I picture JB being a bit of a grouch to be around lately (with good reason). I've been checking her local news just to make sure she hasn't gone ballistic. I think some of us would have killed, literally or figuratively, by now!

She's had a horrible first half of 2014 (remember the "show me the mountains" woman), except for some gems in the elopement department. Let's hope she doesn't run across the Bride From Hell any time soon! (She's coming, JB. You know she's coming.)

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

JAN: Did you forget the long anticipated cruise from hell with noro virus for our 25th anniversary? (Remember the orig cru  ise s hip caught fire) Being banned from all the ports and coming back to only drive home in the snow storm? My father nearly dying and having another heart surgery out west...with no family around...Or the inside job robbery here at the B&B? or...there is even more (the worst of it all)...but I will stop the list there.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Right? crying  

This is why I love love love our great guests! LOVE THEM!  We have had people calling daily who want to get married on the 4th of July here. Not happening.  

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Joey Bloggs wrote:

JAN: Did you forget the long anticipated cruise from hell with noro virus for our 25th anniversary? (Remember the orig cru  ise s hip caught fire) Being banned from all the ports and coming back to only drive home in the snow storm? My father nearly dying and having another heart surgery out west...with no family around...Or the inside job robbery here at the B&B? or...there is even more (the worst of it all)...but I will stop the list there.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Right? crying  

This is why I love love love our great guests! LOVE THEM!  We have had people calling daily who want to get married on the 4th of July here. Not happening.  

Send them to me!!!

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

gillumhouse wrote:

Send them to me!!!

yes   

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Joey Bloggs wrote:

JAN: Did you forget the long anticipated cruise from hell...  

Not forgotten. Just didn't want to pile on the whole list.

And don't call me Jan, Shirley. Eye-wink

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

Arks wrote:

Joey Bloggs wrote:

JAN: Did you forget the long anticipated cruise from hell...  

Not forgotten. Just didn't want to pile on the whole list.

And don't call me Jan, Shirley. Eye-wink

That's funny, as I do get called that. 

We know a Jan too he is an EMT in Washington State. haha

Speaking of fun guests, our first time B&B'r who was wearing the Curly shirt said to me at breakfast today something about getting out his potato gun, I was like "are the hashbrowns THAT bad!?" I did diner fare in honor of the 70 Anniv of D-Day and as a Throwback Thursday thing.

They laughed, as they bought a potato gun and had it shipped here (but not to the B&B) to the rel's house, and were planning on showing the grandkids how to shoot potatoes.  

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

"It's not an unsafe structure"

Were the words he used. He left, no violation. 

DO THE HAPPY DANCE Y'ALL! STUFF YOU OLD UGLY FACE! cheeky

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.