Why did she put onions in the quiche?!

33 replies [Last post]
seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

just another one of those days --- guests today who refuse the quiche (spinach and cheese or just cheese) because both have onion in them and they don't eat onions. and it tastes sooo good, if i do say so myself.

just another one of those things i wasn't told.  it is too bad, because i could have just as easily left onions out of part of each quiche ... coulda shoulda woulda ....

i heard the stage whispered conversations.

i scrambled them some eggs.

could it be that folks aren't anticipating onions at breakfast so they don't mention that?

 

 

Cathy's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/18/2008

I also put onions in some of my quiches.  Yesterday I made a vegetable quicke with fried onions, red and green peppers, a layer of feta cheese and then a cheddar cheese mix on top of that.  Not one crumb was left on the plate.  I also make a mushroom and onion quiche (fried before I put them in the quiche).  I have never had any one say anything about onions in a quiche.

Once I had someone say that they did not like onions, so I made her an individual quiche with no onions.  Everyone at the table (7 people) were happy.  I don't understand some people.  

YellowSocks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

We practically never serve stuffed FT because dh said it's what every one else serves.  But when I'm tired (like now) and busy or have just one or two for breakfast, FT is a beautiful thing... fast, cheap, easy (it's American, after all!).

I just make it plain (not stuffed) and serve with maple glazed sausage links.  Easy and filling (and stretchable for mornings like this when there's an extra person at the table).

=)
Kk.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

That is the beauty of the bread pudding - not many people make it so they do not get it everywhere they go to a B & B and all you have to do to stretch it is add a bit more bread! True you can't add if an extra shows up at the door, but I always make a bit more than I think I will need in case there is a big eater. One can of sliced peaches chopped up does it (and I reserve 3 slices for garnish with a cherry in the middle).

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Bread pudding to me seems more like the baked good or bread part of the meal as opposed to the entree.  I don't think of it as the main part of a B&B breakfast but maybe that's just me....

__________________

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov

 

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Topped with vanillayogurt - it gets rave reviews from guests

Offline
Joined:
08/07/2008

 I've never made a quiche yet.  Probably won't.  Most of the guests seem to be quiched out by the time they get to my place.

muirford's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

We've had guests say that about stuffed French toast.  The morning they were here we had omelets; they had stayed in three different B&Bs on the previous three mornings and had three kinds of stuffed French toast.

__________________

Jeanne

There are no rules, just follow your heart. ~ Robin Williams

 

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

That's why I haven't served the stuffed French toast either!  I think there are  a lot of B&Bs that serve breakfast casseroles too, which I've yet to make here.

 

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

muirford wrote:

We've had guests say that about stuffed French toast.  The morning they were here we had omelets; they had stayed in three different B&Bs on the previous three mornings and had three kinds of stuffed French toast.

We had guests here over the summer whose last B&B stay they were served FT every morning, same B&B. The only difference was the fruit on top. I didn't want to serve them any FT but they were here 5 days, they were gonna get it. They loved every version we served and kept saying, 'You don't get it, it was fried bread with a piece of fruit on top, nothing like what you make.'

We've avoided the stuffed version almost all summer.

__________________

Never judge a person's story by the chapter you walked in on.

 

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Bree wrote:

muirford wrote:

We've had guests say that about stuffed French toast.  The morning they were here we had omelets; they had stayed in three different B&Bs on the previous three mornings and had three kinds of stuffed French toast.

We had guests here over the summer whose last B&B stay they were served FT every morning, same B&B. The only difference was the fruit on top. I didn't want to serve them any FT but they were here 5 days, they were gonna get it. They loved every version we served and kept saying, 'You don't get it, it was fried bread with a piece of fruit on top, nothing like what you make.'

We've avoided the stuffed version almost all summer.

Question, is it really fried? Is that the correct term? I make ours on a griddle with a little butter.  It is not really sauteed, but more grilled. Just curious.

PS SIde note I have an aversion to soft squishy food, same reason I can't eat pumpkin pie.  So most of the time stuffed FT is soft in the middle - not my cup of tea.

__________________

"What the country needs is dirtier fingernails and cleaner minds." Will Rogers

 

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Not deep fried, so I guess fried isn't right. But that's what they said it was. What IS the right term for what you do to FT to brown it? Maybe that's it- 'brown on both sides'. Grilled is a good one but leads to questions in a recipe...cooked on a 'grill'?

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Bree wrote:

Not deep fried, so I guess fried isn't right. But that's what they said it was. What IS the right term for what you do to FT to brown it? Maybe that's it- 'brown on both sides'. Grilled is a good one but leads to questions in a recipe...cooked on a 'grill'?

griddled

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

muirford wrote:

We've had guests say that about stuffed French toast.  The morning they were here we had omelets; they had stayed in three different B&Bs on the previous three mornings and had three kinds of stuffed French toast.

I had met a new person in town and when she found out we owned a B&B she asked that very question. Apparently she and her husband went on a one night each B&B tour of the mountains here and had stuffed french toast every morning.

Then I have had guests who I KNEW were doing the same like our Birtish couple from Graceland TN to here, not once did they have it!  We were like night 7 or 8. So ya never know.

 

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

oceans wrote:

 I've never made a quiche yet.  Probably won't.  Most of the guests seem to be quiched out by the time they get to my place.

Different clientele.  We have so many first time B&B goers that have never even had quiche! I kid you not!  I toughen it up with potatoes on the side. 

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I put HOT SAUCE in my quiche (every one of the them).

Sometimes I put bleu cheese in my quiche

I put horseradish in my quiche

Sometimes I put diced tomatoes (small) in my quiche

Sometimes I put dehydrated onions in my quiche

Sometiems I put finely chopped sweet onion in my quiche

Whatever I have on hand.  Heck I have thrown bacon bits into a quiche lorraine for added umph  and it was great!

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Real innkeepers make quiche   I have not made a quiche yet....

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Here, onions are definitely unusual at breakfast so people would not think to tell you that they didn't like them. (For instance, a Denver omelet isn't a popular dish here...they don't know what they're missing!!) 

If I'm going to make rosemary potatoes, I ask about onions because they go in that.  I don't put onions in egg dishes usually.  I would ask NOW because I've had a guest with an onion allergy similar to JBJ's bell pepper allergy - very serious.  Also, there are some seasonings that have onion powder or bell pepper derivatives, so that is a good thing to know. 

Lots of people eat cooked tomato sauce but don't like raw tomatoes - George Carlin said about tomatoes "...they're not finished yet.  They're still in the laaaaaaaarval stage."  haha!  The first video here is pretty clean & talks about tomatoes, along with being picky about food.   Might give you a chuckle.

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Samster wrote:

Here, onions are definitely unusual at breakfast so people would not think to tell you that they didn't like them. (For instance, a Denver omelet isn't a popular dish here...they don't know what they're missing!!) 

If I'm going to make rosemary potatoes, I ask about onions because they go in that.  I don't put onions in egg dishes usually.  I would ask NOW because I've had a guest with an onion allergy similar to JBJ's bell pepper allergy - very serious.  Also, there are some seasonings that have onion powder or bell pepper derivatives, so that is a good thing to know. 

Lots of people eat cooked tomato sauce but don't like raw tomatoes - George Carlin said about tomatoes "...they're not finished yet.  They're still in the laaaaaaaarval stage."  haha!  The first video here is pretty clean & talks about tomatoes, along with being picky about food.   Might give you a chuckle.

Fired potatoes always have onions.  Tomatoes is an ACID factor.

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

I have never had fired potatoes before.  How do you prepare them?  Peel the potatoes, step back and say, "You're fired!"?  Then, prepare your favorite way?  tee hee....

They take their fried potatoes plain here, ma'am.

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Samster wrote:

I have never had fired potatoes before.  How do you prepare them?  Peel the potatoes, step back and say, "You're fired!"?  Then, prepare your favorite way?  tee hee....

They take their fried potatoes plain here, ma'am.

Yeah those rotten tomatoes, fire every last one of em!

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I would mention peppers when making a rez because I hate peppers. Abhor the way they ooze thruout an entire dish contaminating every corner. You cannot 'pick out' a pepper. It's too late. However, summer squash makes me sick and I never think to mention that. But I can pick that out and eat around it.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Which squash is summer squash? I only know yellow, zuccini, acorn, butternut, pattypan, spaghetti,......

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

gillumhouse wrote:

Which squash is summer squash? I only know yellow, zuccini, acorn, butternut, pattypan, spaghetti,......

The yellow one.

Offline
Joined:
06/24/2008

If you ask when taking the reservation or at check-in and they don't tell then I feel this is THERE problem, not mine!!!!  If they go to a restaurant I am sure they remember what they do not eat & ask before ordering, what's different at a B&B especially if they are told breakfast is Chef's choice, meaning there is NO choices, NO menu etc. 

Re: the question about onions...I do not make quiche but most of my egg dishes have either green or regular onions.  To me, onions provide so much flavor. 

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I put it down to they are so used to not using an ingredient that they forget the rest of the world does not know that. We have realized after ordering at a restaurant that DH forgot to say no cheese on his salad - although we do get the salad dressing squared away, vinegar does not mean vinegarette folks. Like the Dad who did finally think to mention priot to arrival that one kid was gluten-free but did not think of it until they were here that BTW no peanut butter and no bananas either - Mom would probably have said something but Dad was making the rez.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I ask as I take the reservation if they have any food dislikes and sometimes this actually does get them thinking enough to say no green peppers or no onions. Had one no tomatoes which presented a problem since she had scheduled a dinner which is manicotti  and had same situation with a no cheese - both came back with manicotti is fine. Turns out the tomatoes was no raw tomatoes (a salad looks blah without tomatoes in my opinion!).

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

gillumhouse wrote:

I ask as I take the reservation if they have any food dislikes and sometimes this actually does get them thinking enough to say no green peppers or no onions. Had one no tomatoes which presented a problem since she had scheduled a dinner which is manicotti  and had same situation with a no cheese - both came back with manicotti is fine. Turns out the tomatoes was no raw tomatoes (a salad looks blah without tomatoes in my opinion!).

I am not asking anyone squat.  Other than allergies and religious dietary requirements.  I have a death allergy that I have to always tell people about, and it irritates me, but it is one typically put in for COLOR.  Like the tomatoes.

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

do you put onions in your quiche?

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I don't usually do quiche but if doing a veggie egg bake, yes, I put onions in. IT is a veggie and gives flavor.

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

seashanty wrote:

do you put onions in your quiche?

No.

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

A close friend of mine caused a scene once by "pretending" she hated raspeberries and for 10 years we seemed to come across much food with raspberries to which we always pointed out "You don't like them, more for me."  Her husband, myself or anyone who was with her.

We use this in discussion with one kid here to feigned hatred toward shrimp one day then was caught sneaking some off someone's plate cuz she really likes them!

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Forgetabout them!  If it is good with the onions, then stuff em.

One person at table had a nice collective pile of his fruit he scraped off everything.  Yet next to him are vegetarians who loved it. 

You can't please all the people all the time! So please some of the people some of the time!

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Had a guy this morning who pushed all the raspberries off the FT, they were on the plate. His wife said, 'He doesn't like raspberries, basically he doesn't like food that never made noise.' I picked up the edge of his plate (he was done) and whispered, in a squeaky voice, ' Eat me! Eat me!' Got a laugh anyway.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.