56 replies [Last post]
inncogneeto's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/31/2008

I'm noticing a trend around here...

When I have guests who are staying here as a respite from camping at the local national parks, things go missing....

like blankets ( 3 in the last 6 weeks)  and entire new rolls of toilet paper.

frustrating. The blanket thing is really bugging, I just bought all new.

Toilet paper I can live with, blankets...that's stealing!

Offline
Joined:
09/30/2008

Would you like a Tylenol or Advil?

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Here is what what set in stone at the HI where I worked regarding liability and pain relievers and guests.

We had packets of various aspirin and pain relievers FOR SALE. If a guests purchased and took it - no liability because he knew what he purchased.

If we GAVE a pain reliever to a guest and there was a reaction - we WERE liable (the guest did not know what he was taking...... BS but we are talking $$$ here).

So rule of thumb for Aspiring and Newbies - aspirin and pain relievers and sleeping pills and decongestions are ALL medications whether OTC or otherwise and NO MEDICATION of any kind should ever be given to another person.

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I think that is what we have been saying loud and clear

I have a headache!

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

What I do have in a guest bathroom (or had until 5 minutes ago) was a dead mouse!  Went in to add flowers for today's check in and THE SMELL was there.  I began to freak and fortunately the little black mouse came to his demise on a bath mat.  But had to scrub the whole bathroom again.  Rotten mongrel!  He was actually kinda cute.  WAS.

 

Now I am in eliminating odor - just what I need, I had stuff baking and nearly destroyed it.

__________________

"What the country needs is dirtier fingernails and cleaner minds." Will Rogers

 

Offline
Joined:
09/30/2008

Obviously I have a different perspective than you. I am not an innkeeper and as an inngoer I have seen this occurrence more than once, but I did not say it was commonplace. In fact I started this whole thing saying, "I doubt this applies to ANY of you." 

So really, I should be offended because I am the one being called a liar. Whether you believe me or not, it has happened. I was SO NOT trying to make your industry or innkeepers look bad. In fact, I would still go back to those inns, they were great. I also explained one circumstance and why the owner does it, but I do not condone it and being in a related drug industry I have seen enough bad situations happen regardless of whether it is an aspirin or any other OTC drug, or an RX.

OH, I see something now as I reread what I wrote way earlier in the thread! Catlady, you are right it is so easy to misinterpret. So now I realize that if you read the first 2 paragraphs of this reply they could also get misconstrued!

JBJ, when I said it was a fact, I was talking about my experience at the inns, not my experience here on this site with innkeepers! Now I see what you thought and I can see how you took it that way. No, I have no reason to think badly of anyone here. And I understand your all being protective of each other. I hope I will some day get to be the recipient of that.

I truly understand that you were offended, but I didn't mean what it sounded like! Again, I was not accusing you of lying because you say you don't do it. I said that if anyone did do it they might not want to speak out at all (read the topic and not reply). I know I am a bit intimidated by it all. And now that I see how I once again botched things up unknowingly, I guess I wonder if i am meant to be a member or if i should have stayed a guest. In other words maybe i should just shut up. Actually, if i was talking you would have understood me. I am sorry, sorry, sorry.

I think I need a drink...(okay, that was my attempt at humor.)

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

See if we were all "talking" and not writing...many times things would go very differently. Unfortunately we don't have sound here so we do the best we can

Offline
Joined:
09/30/2008

Wow, how did this turn so bad?

First, thank you to those who seemed to get what I was trying to say.

I had hoped it could help if even one aspiring innkeeper or even one seasoned innkeeper was not aware of the issue.

Second, I apologize to those I offended.

I never ever thought anyone was lying or implied that. What I meant by  "denial" was that many replies said: " What? None of us would ever do that!" Well maybe not, but even if someone did, by that time they might not have stepped up and said oh, yeah, I do that and feel foolish. Maybe I am wrong and this site is really that small that you know every single person who comes on and who they are, but I repeat, I did not mean that people who did it denied it. Poor choice of words, sorry, writing is not my strong suit, and please forget I said that about my sister. Maybe I should go back to being a silent guest.

 

 

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

It "turned bad" because you implied that finding medications in guest rooms at B&Bs/inns that were left there on purpose by the innkeeper/owner was a commonplace occurence.  Then, you basically accused the people on this forum of lying if they were to deny that they don't do this.  Can you see why folks would be a tad upset by this?  You're not painting a good picture of either our industry or innkeepers.  We don't take that lightly as we are all professioal business people here. 

__________________

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov

 

egoodell's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/01/2008

 I would agree with the others. You may have been at ONE B&B where you found the innkeeper's perscription drugs in a drawer. I would beg to differ that it's maybe a fact that you found it, but I would feel comfortable stating (and I've stayed in many B&Bs and Pensions both here in the US and abroad) that it is is absolutely NOT COMMONPLACE. You inferred that "It's a fact that it happens" .  As if it happens often, which I don't believe.  Just because you ran across one poor business owner does not paint us all with the same brush. 

RIki

__________________

Riki Goodell
Arcady Vineyard Bed & Breakfast
Arcady Vineyard Wine Tours
www.arcadyvineyard.com
Come! Let us show you the beautiful Monticello Appellation!

 

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Innlover wrote:

Wow, how did this turn so bad?

First, thank you to those who seemed to get what I was trying to say.

I had hoped it could help if even one aspiring innkeeper or even one seasoned innkeeper was not aware of the issue.

Second, I apologize to those I offended.

I never ever thought anyone was lying or implied that. What I meant by  "denial" was that many replies said: " What? None of us would ever do that!" Well maybe not, but even if someone did, by that time they might not have stepped up and said oh, yeah, I do that and feel foolish. Maybe I am wrong and this site is really that small that you know every single person who comes on and who they are, but I repeat, I did not mean that people who did it denied it. Poor choice of words, sorry, writing is not my strong suit, and please forget I said that about my sister. Maybe I should go back to being a silent guest.

 

 

You said it was a fact.  So when we say it is UNTRUE then you say this above? 

I am speaking for my own B&B right here, we do not have DRUGS in guest rooms or bathrooms.  That is the fact right here right now.  Not even aleve! 

I am not speaking for anyone else.  I find it odd that you say this then back away like "people don't agree with me so I will just be the silent guest"  Didn't you ask this question and we answered? I answered on behalf of MY SELF AND MY DRUG FREE guest rooms.

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

No please...continue on. From time to time things just get misinterpretted..easy to do with this medium.  And to be truthful...even though we get up to maybe 100 different users and visitors....many of us are regulars and imports from about.com  who have "been together" for many many years..so we do know one another very well. And we are protective of one another as wellSmiling

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I have first aid stuff but NO analgesics.  Mostly bandaids. 

Maybe they were in it orig but are out of date now since I have never used this kit to date. 

We are not required here to have them at all.  But we do a a hospital with lifeflight helo pad 2 blocks from us.

 

Offline
Joined:
08/07/2008

Hm... I never read the other thread on aspirin, but I'm curious. Does this apply to ANY first-aid, including bandages and neosporin for paper cuts? I've found all of the above in the supply closet at pretty much every desk job I've had, but I'm sure they have different insurance for employees.

Glad I read this thread!

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

I have first aid kits in all the rooms.  And I do have individually wrapped & labeled Tylenol, Aspirin, Motrin (like you would find for purchase in a hotel lobby shop) in the centrally located amenity basket.  It is half an hour to the all night pharmacy near us (believe it or not) and we often have late arriving guests.  Several have appreciated it after a hard day of travel and not being able to carry just about anything in your carry on bags these days, they usually don't have it on them. 

muirford's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

That's an interesting point, because we are required by our county health department to have a basic first aid kit available to guests at all times.  We have one in the powder room on the first floor and it is noted in our guest information booklet.  It does include antiseptic wipes, decongestants and analgesics, although not very many of any of them. 

 

__________________

Jeanne

There are no rules, just follow your heart. ~ Robin Williams

 

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

We too require a first aid kit..but the issue is someone ingesting drugs provided by another. NO NO.  I do not consider aspirin or other pain reliever as first aid.

muirford's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Of course, I don't have drugs in any of my guest rooms that aren't brought there by the guests themselves.  I don't store any of my personal belongings in any guest room, and I never would.  I have never found anybody's personal stash of meds or clothes when I've stayed at a B&B, and I've stayed in a lot of them.

However, the most literal interpretation of drugs being provided by another would mean that there should be no analgesics or decongestants in my first aid kit.  There are some in mine.  So if someone wants to make meth in a guest room, I have two pills that could be added to the mix.  Just the facts, here...

inncogneeto's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/31/2008

We don't leave drugs in the room, are you crazy? Why would we share????

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

haha...that is the best answer so far!! 

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

WHAT THE!

All this Denial?  I am insulted. 

Innlover wrote: Not that I expected anyone to, I just knew from my experience as a guest, as well as from my work that it is a fact.

Again, you must be talking about some sort of shared bathroom or something?  If someone is reading this, then they better get that out of a guest bath ASAP.

It is not a fact here.  Not a fact at all, you better check your facts.  You are way off.

Offline
Joined:
09/30/2008

Man, I am confused all by your confusion! I am not sure if all those questions were for me or not.

Samster, I wasn't joking. i was being sincere. Obviously this doesn't apply to you. Honestly, though, do you think if it did apply to an innkeeper here that they would own up to it after all this denial? Not that I expected anyone to, I just knew from my experience as a guest, as well as from my work that it is a fact. One of the B&Bs is a wonderful inn, very, very upscale, with three floors, I think there were 12 rooms. The very well-to-do owner lives off-site, has employees and leaves personal stuff in the rooms and drawers, etc. including RX and OTC drugs in the guest bathroom so when he comes to stay he has his stuff.

I prefer to stay somewhat anonymous due to the career situation of both me and my husband and our plans for early retirement. I can safely say that my career is closely related to the drug industry. If I tell you any more I'd have ta kill ya!  

If you think I am paranoid, you should see my sister, she won't talk about their jobs at all on an unsecured phone line and forget the Web or e-mail!

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

I have traveled in all types of B&Bs/inns all throughout the entire U.S. for 30 years and I have NEVER encountered any personal items of an innkeeper or their staff in the rooms or bathrooms.  This is the weirdest thing that I have ever heard.  If there is a shared bath situation, I can understand where a guest might find something left behind by another guest who is sharing that bath. 

There is no one denying or lying here on this forum who has posted about what is or is not in their guest accommodations.  That is insulting to all of my fellow inn-mates!

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Well I don't care who it is or how upscale the place is. If the room is being rented out to guests there should be NOTHING personal in the rooms especially and including any kind of drugs!!!!

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

That is very odd.  What sort of meds were in this B&B? Why would they have med's in a guest room or guest bath? Was it a shared bath and they belonged to another guest?

We don't have anything out for anyone like that. If they have a headache, backache or hangover we have about 10 pharmacies in this town.  I had a guest with a bee sting here - some might recall, it was a couple years ago.  After that incident the consensus was the patient needed to go to pharmacy for whatever they needed.  We cannot assist with first aid (other than any first aid training we have for emergency purposes only).

Offline
Joined:
09/30/2008

Sorry Bree, trust me that they were nice B&Bs. After my inital intro to this site and how I managed to stick foot in mouth unknowingly, I am not about to name the inns or even where they are! Some innkeepers are just not as plugged in or as savvy as you all are on this site.

Why do you think I came here for my pre-career change knowledge??? Just as you all have insider info on what you do as innkeepers, the inside stories i could tell you about my job would really scare you.

YellowSocks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Innlover wrote:
Why do you think I came here for my pre-career change knowledge??? Just as you all have insider info on what you do as innkeepers, the inside stories i could tell you about my job would really scare you.

I think I missed something.  What is your job?

No drugs here!  Nothing in those drawers but a Gideon's Bible...

=)
Kk.

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Any and all drawers in furniture in our guest rooms are empty, except for emergency lights or instruction manuals for alarm clocks. 

Offline
Joined:
09/30/2008

Something's been on my mind all day that this forum triggered.... You all have given so freely to me, and i want to give something back, so any thing that comes to mind that I can share I hope helps you. I guess, though i came on as the voice of a hopeful, wannabe innkeeper, I am truly at this point just an innlover and thus, have the voice of a guest.

I doubt this applies to ANY of you, cuz i found no related topics, and it could just be my bias because of my line of work, but I feel better passing it on just in case.

Make sure you do not leave any RX or OTC drugs in medicine cabinets or drawers that you do not want a guest to take or that if someone took and had a reaction you could be liable. Now, before you ridicule me, I have stayed at B&Bs where this is the case IN the guest rooms! I realize that previous guests may deliberatey leave things, sunscreen, mouthwash or whatever, but I do know of instances where it was put there or left there by the innkeeper. I won't touch any of it when I am staying at an inn. (I bring my own anyway) But trust me, if you think blankets get stolen, drugs will too, and it is dangerous besides for lots of reasons.

 

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

OK...you're pulling our collective legs here, aren't you??  I think you're just trying to see what kind of answer you're going to get from us by putting this out there. 

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Innlover wrote:

Something's been on my mind all day that this forum triggered.... You all have given so freely to me, and i want to give something back, so any thing that comes to mind that I can share I hope helps you. I guess, though i came on as the voice of a hopeful, wannabe innkeeper, I am truly at this point just an innlover and thus, have the voice of a guest.

I doubt this applies to ANY of you, cuz i found no related topics, and it could just be my bias because of my line of work, but I feel better passing it on just in case.

Make sure you do not leave any RX or OTC drugs in medicine cabinets or drawers that you do not want a guest to take or that if someone took and had a reaction you could be liable. Now, before you ridicule me, I have stayed at B&Bs where this is the case IN the guest rooms! I realize that previous guests may deliberatey leave things, sunscreen, mouthwash or whatever, but I do know of instances where it was put there or left there by the innkeeper. I won't touch any of it when I am staying at an inn. (I bring my own anyway) But trust me, if you think blankets get stolen, drugs will too, and it is dangerous besides for lots of reasons.

 

I'm not going to ridicule you but I'm going to ask what the heck kinds of places do you stay where the innkeepers leave prescription drugs in the guest rooms? I think everyone here cleans their rooms thoroughly when guests leave, including any bits and bobs they may have left behind. No wonder you're so amazed by the work & cleaning stories here if that's been your experience traveling.

__________________

Never judge a person's story by the chapter you walked in on.

 

Offline
Joined:
06/15/2008

You are so right. Even if a guest ask for an asprin I say I am sorry I don't have any. I would never give a guest anything ever. I don't want that to come back to bite me.

__________________

sandynn

 

egoodell's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/01/2008

 I don't have any asprin or meds for the guests either, but I have been told the safest thing to do is to have more than 3 kinds (bayer, aleve, etc) in a basket so that the guest chooses themself which one they are going to take. I'm not sure if this is still safe to do, though.

Riki

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

NO this is NOT SAFE. Let them go to a drugstore or Walmart if they need some medication. You should NOT and I mean NOT provide ANYTHING. This is just asking for trouble. It may seem really simple thing, but all you would need have happen is someone have some type of reaction and sue you for providing it for them. Sorry...get rid of the drugs!!!

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I am fairly certain that no innkeeper here keeps drugs of any type in their guest rooms or bathrooms.

We have discussed the liability issue of giving even an aspirin to a guest in a previous forum. It has not been discussed here so it is good that you bring this up.

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Inncogneeto, do you usually know ahead of time when you have 'camping' guests coming? How about putting a card in the room before they arrive...

"Have you forgotten or run out of supplies for your camping trip? Toilet paper, blankets, toothpaste (whatever) are available for purchase from the inn." And then list a price list.

Keep the prices high enough that people would rather not buy from you. It might make them think twice about taking (stealing) from you since you might just charge them for it. If people are going to take stuff from you, you might as well be paid for the items and for your time and gas to replace them.

Just a thought.

trishany's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

On the serious side here cause blankets and pillows and towels are expensive.

We have four rooms. We know what blankets, how many pillows, what paintings, etc.  are in each room -- we will know if something is missing, and we will know the name, address, credit card number (from their on-line reservation), and, license plate number (just something extra we do) of the last person(s) to stay in that room. 

So ------"Hello, how are you?   This is ..........from .................B&B.  Hope you made it home okay.  We seem to be missing ....................from the room you stayed in.  You probably packed it (them) in your suitcase by accident.  We would appreciate your sending it back".   Every situation is different and each person will react differently. 

Know what's in your rooms and who stayed there last.  

 

  

inncogneeto's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/31/2008

OMG, they even got the shlumpadinka likeness of me in that caricature! WOW!

I love you Bree!

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

inncogneeto wrote:

OMG, they even got the shlumpadinka likeness of me in that caricature! WOW!

I love you Bree!

I couldn't get to the computer fast enough after I saw that in today's funny papers...glad you liked it!

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

'Neeto- this one's for you...

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

If you could figure out who took it, I'd charge their card.  I'd be willing to risk a chargeback for that!  That is theft for one thing & certainly bad manners.  How rude!

So far, I had a pillow go missing when the cheerleaders were here (grrrrr).  I know what happened there....she buddied up with a friend in a room in the other inn & took it with her.  The other inn probably got it but they weren't willing to own up about it.  I've had a couple of make-up mirrors go missing - $2 at Tuesday Morning but still....  I didn't catch that right away.  

I read this post briefly right as I was dozing off last night & thought about those makeup mirrors!  I dreamt that someone was taking all of them.  It was weird.

inncogneeto's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/31/2008

Uh, oh...must be contagious... The crazies, I mean...

Sweet dreams!

Offline
Joined:
05/30/2008

Knock wood...nothing has gone missing lately at all. 

I have no clue who would have taken those makeup mirrors although they're almost small enough to be travel size.  I'm giving the benefit of the doubt on that one.  haha.  I would notice right away if a blanket went missing though!

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Noone accidentally takes a blanket.  Calling will only get you in deeper.  Write it off. Put their name on the DNR to list

Offline
Joined:
09/30/2008

For what it's worth, I am just an inn lover who is an aspiring, wannabe, hope to someday be innkeeper and I agree with seashanty and say call. Would you really want them as return guests anyway, if they stole from you? And if it was an honest mistake, you might get it back. I guess you have to weigh whether it is worth it your time and what you hope to achieve by doing it and what you could lose. 

If I had accidentally taken it, I would want to return it and wouldn't mind getting the call.  (Actually I would be so worried about having it I would have called you as soon as I realized I had it!) My sister, on the other hand, would never even realize it didn't belong to her family and who knows if she would be offended!

I guess that didn't help...!

inncogneeto's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/31/2008

Not in the wash and I have looked in all the places we store the extra stuff, not there, I keep them zipped up in those plastic bags they come in -when not in use, so it's not like the "spare" but that's not an excuse for taking them anyway, just because we don't have stamps on every single thing in the house, doesn't mean it's complimentary!

the first blanket, I don't know who took it, but the last two went missing the day after campers, and yes, apparently we are the stop in the middle of the trip, the shower and clean up stop...

again today; Pillow walked this morning, nowhere to be found, I know that is an easy mistake to make, they brought their own pillows and inadvertently took ours... I know who it was, how many pillows were on the bed yesterday at fluff, same as every other day...and the spares are in place in the closet...

So far only one bath sheet has walked, and we intercepted some that almost walked with a guy who thought he was going to clean his Harley with them, can you believe that!??

dh thinks I am going nuts, that people aren't taking the stuff and i must be putting them in my top secret blanket storage for the senile...OK, then show me where they went?!

...but like SS brings up, as frustrating as it is, do you really call them and ask them to return it? i don't think so...

I'm running out of storage space and it is so convenient to store them right there in the room...why can't people just be good?

 

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

yes! really call ... although will that make the blankets return? i don't know. grrrrrrrrrrrr

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

do you have your name in big laundry marker letters on the blankets?  if not, please put it there right away.  on the underside where it doesn't show when you make up the bed, but big enough to be SEEN.   are these folks who are camping, then staying with you, then camping again?  wondering how you know they are taking a respite from camping. 

i did have someone take an afghan away but she returned it ...  i too am wondering, are these right off the beds???  if they are spares, then i don't think i'd have them in the room for guests to help themselves if this is what is going on until you figure out another solution.  they'd have to come ask me for a spare.

it's not possible that they have been put aside in the wrong place or in the wash?  if you are working alone or are right in there flipping rooms, then you would know.

  it's very upsetting.  i am so sorry

 

JunieBJones (JBJ)'s picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Are they the spare blankets in closets/drawers?  Surely not right off the beds.  I mean that would by so noticable.

Offline
Joined:
06/24/2008

Yes, I agree that this is a bad sign, but you were very quick to put thought on this and figure out the trend.  Since some of the disappearences (blankets) are several weeks old, I think that the only one(s) I would possibly call would be in the last day or 2, any longer ago and the person could easily use the excuse that you need to call your last guests. 

In a way to discourage this behavior in the future, you may want to include a clause in your confirmation and sign-in that addresses 'missing items' and charges that could occur. 

Offline
Joined:
09/30/2008

Wow! I am in shock. I was still shaking my head at the whole idea of people doing that when I then read seashanty's great advise! Of course! Hotels would make you pay, right? So the calling idea sounds smart and it makes me feel better, it also saves face that it could have been a mistake.

I can see that I have a lot to learn if I am ever going to be a successful innkeeper. Wow. Swirt could put together the best of forums...etc. Oh, maybe he already has. There is so much to read and learn!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.