Should Contact us at say 'call or text'

17 replies [Last post]
seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

The best way to reach both my bosses is via text. They like to have their business phone numbers right on the website. Up til this moment I have the websites say they can call them at xxx-xxx-xxxx.  

Wondering if I should change that to say CALL OR TEXT us at xxx-xxx-xxxx since both numbers are enabled for text and many callers want to communicate this way. In my case, I will need to ask each of them if they'd want that.

I myself have swung to using texting a lot. 

Would this option help you when callers contact you wanting info? You could send back a quick message possibly with a link to the book a room page or even the weather! I used to get a lot of calls about the weather as in, 'we're thinking of booking a room, how's the weather up there?' You could say you'll be available to talk at 10 or whatever works for you.

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

I love FB Messenger. When a friend sends you a message, you get one tone, nothing more. But it's just the right volume to be noticed. Nothing more needed. 

__________________

All saints can do miracles, but few of them can keep hotel. ~ Mark Twain

 

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

Arks wrote:

I love FB Messenger. When a friend sends you a message, you get one tone, nothing more. But it's just the right volume to be noticed. Nothing more needed. 

yes 

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

I don't think I have a quack option. In any case, I am much less disturbed by one small tone than by a phone ringing ... of any kind. Smiling

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

Interesting, Mort. It's not for everyone ... btw, you can set that 'ping' to any sound you choose. But again ... not trying to convert anyone. 

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

 Little one visiting pointed to the unused phone jack on the kitchen wall and said, 'What's that thing?' Her dad started explaining that phones used to always have to be connected to 'one of those things'. He said they had one or two at their house but they were covered up. She started laughing and told him he was silly. 

 Personally, I use texting because I can see right away if I will or won't answer that one little ping, if something needs my attention or not right away or never ... and I turn off the notifications (ringer) when I go to bed. 

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

 

The pinging of the text message makes me edgy. I bounce off the walls in Vegas. It's not pretty.

That pinging goes right to the lizard brain. It's designed to elicit a reaction. I don't like the reaction it elicits in me.

__________________

What a long, strange trip it’s been.

 

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I have set my text to quack

Offline
Joined:
10/04/2015

My problem with calls is (1) they always ruddy call when I am out or busy - never when I am near my computer

(2) people who do call usually have a very complicated problem or are lame ducks I don't want anyway.

The internet screens out needy people!

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

The phone number for the inn (free Google Voice number) can record voice calls or take text messages, so I've always had CALL OR TEXT us at xxx-xxx-xxxx on my website. I never answer the thing. Google sends all voice mails, along with its best guess at a transcription, and all text messages to my cell phone and I call or text them back.

If they leave a voice message, I even take it to the point of doing a reverse lookup on their phone number. If I find it's a mobile phone, they'll get a text back from me, not a phone call.

I prefer text or e-mail because I have a written record of what was said, and I have the time to get my info together before sending it, vs. talking on the phone and hoping I'm giving them the right info, and that I will remember what they said.

Plus, I just don't like to talk on the phone...like most people under 30 Eye-wink

OnTheShore's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/28/2011

For one business, I have a virtual number (which can handle texts as well as voice mail and calls) that forwards to the cell phone of who ever is on duty, and on the website for that business it does say "Call or Text"  We have had numerous customers contact us and make arrangements via text, although I would say voice calls are still the bulk.

For another business we have a landline (via the cable company) that is not text-capable (I don't think...), even though we also have that set to forward to somebody's cell phone all the time, too.

__________________

"where even time relaxes...."

 

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

No smartphone, no texting. But, if it works for your bosses, by all means ask them if they want to be contacted that way!

Remember, 5 years or so ago, paii was recommending having your cell number available for guests to text whenever they needed something.

It's definitely the best way to connect with a very large number of people now.

In a way, not having text is like not having voice mail.

Lee2014's picture
Offline
Joined:
12/11/2014

  I don't have a smartphone.  I got a dumb flip phone.  It does text and I do it all the time.  It does everything a smartphone can do, even go online.  But I have that all blocked because I don't want it!  The things my phone doesn't do that my friends' smartphones do are, call or text me from their pocket, send me stuff at 2am, and spy on me and say, "Sorry I didn't get that..."    On my dumb phone I can hang up on a telemarketer with a loud snap!  Makes my day! wink

    At work I have a smartphone....  It hasn't changed my mind to get one.    

__________________

Have a great day!

 

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Duff2014 wrote:

  I don't have a smartphone.  I got a dumb flip phone.  It does text and I do it all the time.  It does everything a smartphone can do, even go online.  But I have that all blocked because I don't want it!  The things my phone doesn't do that my friends' smartphones do are, call or text me from their pocket, send me stuff at 2am, and spy on me and say, "Sorry I didn't get that..."    On my dumb phone I can hang up on a telemarketer with a loud snap!  Makes my day! wink

    At work I have a smartphone....  It hasn't changed my mind to get one.    

Were we separated at birth? My phone has a slide out keyboard so I CAN text. I do know how. But do I want random people having my cell number? No. Absolutely not. Just like guests don't have access to my personal FB page. My phone is turned off unless I'm on the road. You want to TALK to me? Call my home phone. Believe me, no one does. I don't think I hear my kids' voices but maybe every 3-4 months. Unless I call first. (I do not want to be the one to tell them how MUCH they will miss their mother's voice when they can no longer hear it.)

Separation of work and family is very important to sanity.

BUT, if this system works for SS's bosses, that's for them to worry about their marriages and privacy and personal time.

Lee2014's picture
Offline
Joined:
12/11/2014

Morticia wrote:

Duff2014 wrote:

  I don't have a smartphone.  I got a dumb flip phone.  It does text and I do it all the time.  It does everything a smartphone can do, even go online.  But I have that all blocked because I don't want it!  The things my phone doesn't do that my friends' smartphones do are, call or text me from their pocket, send me stuff at 2am, and spy on me and say, "Sorry I didn't get that..."    On my dumb phone I can hang up on a telemarketer with a loud snap!  Makes my day! wink

    At work I have a smartphone....  It hasn't changed my mind to get one.    

Were we separated at birth? My phone has a slide out keyboard so I CAN text. I do know how. But do I want random people having my cell number? No. Absolutely not. Just like guests don't have access to my personal FB page. My phone is turned off unless I'm on the road. You want to TALK to me? Call my home phone. Believe me, no one does. I don't think I hear my kids' voices but maybe every 3-4 months. Unless I call first. (I do not want to be the one to tell them how MUCH they will miss their mother's voice when they can no longer hear it.)

Separation of work and family is very important to sanity.

BUT, if this system works for SS's bosses, that's for them to worry about their marriages and privacy and personal time.

   Yes, guests have our business cellphone but we keep our private phones just that.   Finally found that twin that the doctor made the nurse search for after I was born!!!!! wink  He thought I should be bigger or there should be another one.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

For me - just e-mail or call our number listed. I do not want my cell ringing, buzzing, or quacking all day. It is bad enough that some of the garbage calls are now coming in on my cell.

TheBeachHouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/24/2013

probably a good idea.   the email of this decade.

__________________

TBH

 

dumitru's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/07/2013

This immediately jumps to mind:

http://triggersandsparks.com/blog/5-reasons-i-dont-pick-up-my-phone-and-neither-should-you/

https://medium.com/life-tips/why-i-don-t-answer-most-phone-calls-4a71e1418854

__________________

https://www.hermesthemes.com/ - WordPress Themes for Independent Hotels, Inns and B&Bs

 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.