Going to the dogs

15 replies [Last post]
Anon Inn's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/26/2011

Inmates rock!

In my FB feed this AM:

https://soundcloud.com/inside-innkeeping/pet-friendly-innkeeping-and-ada-compliance

PhineasSwann's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/25/2012

Your friend contributes to the difficulty real people with real handicaps have deal with in service establishments. She's selfish as are all the people buying these online certificates. That's the part that galls me the most, not that they're just trying to bring a dog where it doesn't belong. 

__________________

Darren
Innkeeper & Owner

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

PhineasSwann wrote:

Your friend contributes to the difficulty real people with real handicaps have deal with in service establishments. She's selfish as are all the people buying these online certificates. That's the part that galls me the most, not that they're just trying to bring a dog where it doesn't belong. 

Yep.

__________________

All saints can do miracles, but few of them can keep hotel. ~ Mark Twain

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

I have a friend with nothing wrong with her, but she likes to take her little dog with her everywhere. She found an online place to get a therapy dog certificate, which she carries around. She took her dog to the doctor's office with her a while back. The nurse told her, no dogs. She showed her certificate. The nurse researched online, said therapy dogs don't have to be admitted to the doctor's office. So my friend left without seeing the doctor.

Then she went home and found a website that will sell her a service dog certificate, which she promptly ordered. I just don't comment when she tells this story. She's otherwise a fine person, but she's a little bit dog crazy.

TheBeachHouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/24/2013

Arks wrote:

I have a friend with nothing wrong with her, but she likes to take her little dog with her everywhere. She found an online place to get a therapy dog certificate, which she carries around. She took her dog to the doctor's office with her a while back. The nurse told her, no dogs. She showed her certificate. The nurse researched online, said therapy dogs don't have to be admitted to the doctor's office. So my friend left without seeing the doctor.

Then she went home and found a website that will sell her a service dog certificate, which she promptly ordered. I just don't comment when she tells this story. She's otherwise a fine person, but she's a little bit dog crazy.

I don't blame you for being her friend. We forgive our friends.   Happens often.

But she's not only cheating, she is undermining the people who have and need service animals.   I have family that have and need service animals and it's not something that should be taken lightly.

__________________

TBH

 

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

TheBeachHouse wrote:

...it's not something that should be taken lightly.

Yep.

PhineasSwann's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/25/2012

Northern, You've identified the exception to the ADA. If you have less than 5 rooms and are the owner living on the premises, the ADA exempts you. 

Offline
Joined:
02/15/2017

It was a very good interview and very informative as well!

However It should be noted (according to https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/titleIII_2010/titleIII_2010_regulations.htm...) that many smaller B&B's are not even considered "Public Accommodations" by the ADA's definition. One could argue that B&B/Inns of this smaller size and ruling are not required to accommodate persons with Service Animals/disabilities. (See Section 36.102 for applicability to Public Accommodations and Section 36.104 for the definition of a Public accommodation, excluding lodging of less than 5 rooms and residing on the premises.)

Yet, if they can physically access the rooms, would you take them, or could you/how would you go about denying them because of their Service animal without them screaming discrimination? Maybe it is a simple suggestion of referring them to another location with more accessible accommodations or that are pet-friendly? I don't know that it would be in good taste to state that "we don't have to take you"! 

We do list on our website that all rooms are on the second floor, and also that we are an Adult destination, a Pet-Free/Smoke-Free environment, and not suitable for children.

Am interested in anyone's comments or input regarding specific qualifications pertaining to these defined exclusions of a B&B based on its size.

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

We recently had a guest who insisted her therapy dog was covered. She had a note from her doctor and a jacket for the dog. She would not understand that the ADA rules do not apply to therapy dogs.

She refused to tell us what the dog was trained to do and refused to say if the dog was needed for a disability.

In the morning she left the dog in the car because 'he begs at the table'. No a well-trained dog at all.

 

__________________

Never judge a person's story by the chapter you walked in on.

 

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

At least here, a note for the doctor has NO standing, you must have a letter for a nationally recognized dog training program and it must state specifically what the dog does.

There is an organization which suckers people in for documents saying the dog is a service animal, but basically we can insist that they are members of the national Association of Guide & Assistance Dog Schools.

__________________

Permission to quote in whole or in part, other than usage on this forum, is entirely forbidden.

 

TheBeachHouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/24/2013

Morticia wrote:

We recently had a guest who insisted her therapy dog was covered. She had a note from her doctor and a jacket for the dog. She would not understand that the ADA rules do not apply to therapy dogs.

She refused to tell us what the dog was trained to do and refused to say if the dog was needed for a disability.

In the morning she left the dog in the car because 'he begs at the table'. No a well-trained dog at all.

 

My understanding is that service dogs are never left in the car.   That is a number one indication that the person is lying.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I am 3-rooms on the second floorand NO PETS and if someone wants a room and has a service dog, they will get the room. I am not going to chance blackening the name of a business I have built up from scratch over a freaking dog. I KNOW service Animals are well-trained (real ones that is), well-behaved, and no problem. As stated in the interview, it is the fakes that cause the problems - just as they (fakes) do in everything

PhineasSwann's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/25/2012

Getting interviewed as "an expert" makes one question the qualifications these days for being "an expert!" :-0

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Definition of an Expert - Live 50 miles away

Generic's picture
Offline
Joined:
02/24/2011

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Very nice!  Good publicity

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.