Innkeeper between 2 Inns

12 replies [Last post]
Offline
Joined:
05/12/2015

Hi everyone! I haven't been on this for quite some time, but all of a sudden I am in an interesting conundrum and thought of Innspiring as THE place to go for helpblush Here is my situation. I've been an innkeeper for a while, and was offered a position to run an Inn at a great location. So I went through all the interviews, they have not closed on the inn yet, and had me sign an agreement, which I did and once it closes I will start the end of the month. They still have the job posted on the popular sites. Now, I have been called about a truly amazing piece of property, and will chat with them tomorrow. Question: If this new property is a better fit for me Is it terribly wrong for me to pull away from the first one? I had a gut feeling to not sign, I've never had to sign, but I thought, well now you're settled. You know where you are going. UGH! Thank you in advance for all your advice and time. Truly appreciated.

__________________

inntropical

 

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

Anxious to see how this turns out!

JimBoone's picture
Offline
Joined:
12/18/2014

As others have said, cover yourself by asking a lawyer, but beyond that have you considered talking with the folks with whom you signed the contract?

If I were that person I'm sure I'd want an agreement spelling out each sides responsibilities, yet the last thing I'd want is someone managing my business that didn't want to work there, I'd want you gone, why would I want a manager whose heart was not in the job?

__________________

Jim & Maxine

 

Offline
Joined:
05/12/2015

Great advice! I am going to meet the new inn on Friday. I'll know immediately if it's a good fit. And yes, responsibilities were spelled out (with first inn) and it is a bit more than I had wanted, but doable. And the living conditions were/are very nice with the exception of a unique bathroom situation I decided to be flexible. I decided I will wait to speak with Inn 1, be 100% sure about the other property. As I stated in my post, the agreement I signed is if the closing all goes through. I'm pretty sure there will be no problem,

Morticia's picture
Online
Joined:
05/22/2008

Ditto what the others said:

  • It's a contract, have a lawyer look it over before cancelling
  • Have the other job lined up before cancelling the first
  • It's your life

We have employees who say they want the job who never show up for the first day and who don't even bother to call. However, you signed something! Understand what it was that you signed.

__________________

Never judge a person's story by the chapter you walked in on.

 

Offline
Joined:
05/12/2015

Thank you! Yes, in no way making excuses, I rushed into this as it was 2 days before Christmas and he wanted it returned within a couple of days. I did have to negotiate to get a day off, and so we went back and forth on that.

Yes, I am going to wait until I am 100% sure about other position. I'll no pretty fast, Friday, if it is a fit. 

And I would never ever not show up, or not discuss.

Hindsight......UGH!

PhineasSwann's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/25/2012

We've had similar no-show hires on their first day of work. 

I have to say, if I had a contract and you no-showed, I'd seriously considering negotiating some monetary damages out of you. 

__________________

Darren
Innkeeper & Owner

 

TheBeachHouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/24/2013

I did that once.  I accepted a job and was offered a better one two days before I was to start.   This is your life.   Although I felt badly about letting the first employer down, I knew I had to do the best I could for my very young career.   I took the second offer.   Apologized to the first employer.  He was upset, but knew that I had to do what I had to do.   He was not able to offer me more money, so he accepted it.

The moral?  Do what is best for your future.   Read the contract and understand the consequences of breaking it before you decide.  But it is your life.   Manage it for you with consideration for others.

__________________

TBH

 

Offline
Joined:
05/12/2015

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is the way I feel. Of course I feel bad that I'm even considering another inn. Where they haven't even taken over the inn yet, still has to close, the only thing I see in the agreement is they can let me go at any time and I can leave but must give a thirty day notice. 

Oh my, this could all be a moog as I still need to see what's what with other property. And I do like the original inn.

JimBoone's picture
Offline
Joined:
12/18/2014

inntropical wrote:

I can leave but must give a thirty day notice. 

Maybe you've answered your own question here, if second inn is your choice it would seem you could be available in 30 days. Just for me, I don't like one sided arrangements, seems like notice should work for both sides.

Anon Inn's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/26/2011

Read the contract you signed carefully for just this contingency.  If none, time for the difficult conversation.  Just have your new 'bird in the hand' truly nailed down before burning the bridge.  

Offline
Joined:
05/12/2015

Thank you for the advice! Exactly, I will know for sure on Friday. The other Inn is quite lovely, it's all about living, work load, and being sure we all work well together.

Arks's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2010

Anon Inn wrote:

Read the contract you signed carefully for just this contingency..  

Have a lawyer read the contract. Breach of contract can lead to a serious award for damages. A signed "agreement" is a contract. Don't sign a contract unless you intend to honor it.

__________________

All saints can do miracles, but few of them can keep hotel. ~ Mark Twain

 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.