Hair Dryer fell in the toilet - Housekeeping Challenge 102

16 replies [Last post]
seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

yes, the hair dryer was being put away in the cupboard above the toilet tank and was not properly on the shelf. plunk, splash, into the toilet that was FLUSHING.  retrieved within seconds.

1.  is a hair dryer that gets wet ever safe to use again?

2.  since it fell into a toilet bowl, it is contaminated with whatever, correct?

i say, discard and replace with a new one.

another says, plug it in and see what happens.

 

__________________

Wear cute PJ’s to bed; you never know who you may meet in your dreams.

 

Offline
Joined:
11/21/2017

It would have been fine to put it in the kitchen sink and run some water through it to clean it and then let it dry good before  turning it on.  A hair drier has a coil in it that heats up and some switches and water wouldn't hurt that.  IBM used to soak all the electronics from mainframe computers in water to clean them (though the water had anti-mold and other chemicals in it).

You can't soak things with a digital display (like a phone) but a lot of things can get wet and will be fine as long as you dry them well before applying power.  Not much electronics in a hair dryer.

PhineasSwann's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/25/2012

Ew. Just, ew.

We have a motto here whether it comes to sanitation, linens, food, etc.: "When in doubt, throw it out."

 

 

__________________

Darren
Innkeeper & Owner

 

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

Ha Ha ... don't know how this old thread got resurrected. 

In case you're wondering, the owner of the place insisted we keep the hairdryer. She plugged it in and turned it on and said it's fine. After she left, I replaced it.  Because ... ewwww. Who knows what could be cooking inside it? sssshhhhh, I never told her.

 

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Spammers hit this morning. Funny. I didn't even remember this story!

__________________

Most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. - Oscar Wilde

 

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

 Second flush? Oh my, they would ban you in southern California where we had the one flush a day LAW.

__________________

Gluten free is never free. - Joey Bloggs

 

seashanty's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/02/2008

toilet had just been cleaned.  second flush ... habit i have after cleaning.  shouldn't have been hurrying. should have closed to seat cover ... shouldn't should've .... .  even though the toilet had been cleaned, still is a worry. i am not going to open up/take apart the dryer so i think best to chuck it. i'll pay for replacement.  owner wants to keep it.  her choice for her use but i wonder if she'd get zapped or bacteria'd.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

I just found a used white pillowcase-spare pillow put back on the shelf in the closet with the others - i freshened their room yesterday and it was on the bed and had been used.  Why do guests do this? Do they think we never change those pillowcases?  I frehsemed the bed and put it back out there.

And I opened the storm windows for them - they love to open windows for fresh air and not open the storm windows!!! DOH!  I think they see the screen and not the glass.

Tha';s why we're here...to make sense of everything for the guests.  Smiling

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

We always got a chuckle on that as well. Guests would open the window at night thinking they were going to get fresh air..when all they got was the storm window.

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

ewwwwwww.....get a new one.

Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

an ewwwww from me as well.....I am with you....they are so cheap these days...just buy a new one

Breakfast Diva's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/26/2009

If I kept it, every time I'd use it I would be thinking about all the toilet stuff blowing in my face.

Offline
Joined:
10/07/2008

As it was flushing means it was NOT clean, right?  Are you planning on cleaning it? If it was submerged mostly I would toss it.

If you have a gfi in the bathroom which you should give it a try in a couple days.  Meanwhile disassemble as much as you can to let it dry out. 

swirt's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/17/2008

Electrically, it is probably safe.... let it dry for several days.  If in doubt, plug it into a powerstrip that is switched off, then turn the hairdryer on (it won't run because the powerstrip is off).  While not holding the hairdryer, switch on the powerstrip. 

On that contamination part....hard to say.   Probably better just to toss it and buy a new one.  Absolutely replace it if it is used by guests.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I say get a new one! Why take a chance? It is not a big ticket item.

Don Draper's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/10/2008

 I've done this to my own unfortunately.  Let it dry out for a few days before attempting to plug in and turn on.  Mine was fine after two days, worked like it always did.

__________________

What you call love was invented by guys like me to sell nylons.

 

wendydk's picture
Offline
Joined:
06/07/2009

Blowdryers are cheap these days, don't take chances with safety, just get a new one!  Depending on how old your old one is, you will probably be able to get a more efficient one as well.

__________________

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue and gives kisses freely and enthusiastically to everyone!

 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.