‘Have the lobster, it’s my favorite!’

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
‘Have the lobster, it’s my favorite!’ — and other lies your waiter tells you to get you to spend more

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/lifestyle/food/should_you_trust_your_server_vLLYM9UuUvQv6AzBYK0UlM#ixzz1EublxlgD

JB I have said it before, the Chef might describe a dish to the staff, and if they are lucky they can sample one bite of a plate he/she prepared to show them - give them a visual, but the servers certainly aren't eating the "catch of the day" where they work. It is ridiculous to think they are. I think, at least this article admits to "acting" at least they are trying to do a good job and work for their tips! better than "Whattchya want?" and walking away...

Not sure about that. When I worked in a restaurant, we ate everything they offered as we got a discount. Your five star places maybe but otherwise waiters do pretty well and eat at the place they work even though it may be in the break room.

Not sure about that. When I worked in a restaurant, we ate everything they offered as we got a discount. Your five star places maybe but otherwise waiters do pretty well and eat at the place they work even though it may be in the break room..
Totally

My late b-i-l was a dishwasher at an historic fancy hotel and he ate there al the time he told us. When I worked at the chain as relief night audit, I could have anything I wanted from the kitchen - but I loved the veggie lasagna that chef made so he always had some brought out for me.

My son worked in a seafood restaurant and having a free dinner was one of the perks. He worked his way through that menu.
tounge_smile.gif

However, most waitstaff are coached to sell apps, desserts, and higher priced "signature" drinks, as well as the specials that typically have a bigger price tag.
I never trust a server to recommend something for me....how do they know what I like? haha....

Back