10+10+10+10=9

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodScout

Reaction score
Gotta love those guests who give you a perfect 10 in every category and then give you an overall score of 9 with no comments. 40C97EFB-B84B-402E-A1A0-4561FD8EF984.jpeg

Yep. Some people just insist on saying, no matter how good it is, it could have been better, so no 10 for you.

But never contact them to ask about it. More than once, with my stays at Air properties, my review of them has mentioned some small negative, and I immediately hear from the host wanting to know why I complained. I never reply, but them contacting my about my review means I'll never stay at their place again!

I immediately hear from the host wanting to know why I complained. I never reply, but them contacting my about my review means I'll never stay at their place again!

Arks, I'm puzzled, why wouldn't you want to share information with a host about an issue or am I misunderstanding the purpose of their contact? To me a complaint is an important part of my education, how do I prevent that issue in the future, unfortunately guest reviews are not always clear about an issue or how it could be solved for the next guest.

A recent review said their room was "dated" which doesn't exactly tell me how to solve the problem. If that means I've overlooked an item that was worn or in need of repair, I could solve that quickly with a little information. If it means they don't like my decorating style then that may not be as easily solved as the majority of our guests seem to like our style.

I've found that there's this unwritten rule in Air-land that you're expected to give a glowing review about everyone unless they literally burned the place to the ground or you found dead bodies under the floorboards. Air-hosts on other sites (like Reddit) are constantly complaining when a guest mentions one little thing.

I've found that there's this unwritten rule in Air-land that you're expected to give a glowing review about everyone unless they literally burned the place to the ground or you found dead bodies under the floorboards. Air-hosts on other sites (like Reddit) are constantly complaining when a guest mentions one little thing.
Perhaps this explains why we never get air reviews? They can’t say something nice so they say nothing. 😉

I’ve only written one bad guest review and it was for someone who piled on a series of small ‘infractions’ with one ‘cherry on top’ that irks me more than a lot of things—she hid religious tracts all over the room. We had to flip the mattress to find some of them. She also did that fake $20 bill under the bed with a religious verse on the back as a tip for the housekeeper. That’s just mean.

She also did that fake $20 bill under the bed with a religious verse on the back as a tip for the housekeeper. That’s just mean.
I always resolve when this happens to find out where the guests go to church.

Then save the "$20" and the next time I visit their town go to services, and leave the "$20 bill" in the collection plate.

In our first year, we had a guest book via an OTA. She expressed to us she loved her stay including breakfast and would stay again, which she did. On her OTA review, we received all 10's except for one 1 for "restaurant". I was thinking maybe it was a mistake based on her review comments and I contacted the OTA who agreed and said to contact the guest. I did and the guest mentioned because we didn't have a restaurant, she didn't know how to rate it and the survey forced a rating. I mentioned maybe rate the breakfast for the "restaurant". She emailed me her new comments and rating for the that area which I sent on to the OTA. Happily, they changed the rating based on her email.

Back