10 Nights From Germany. Yeah, Right!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
Sigh. Just got a mid-July, 10-night ResKey reservation for 1 adult and 1 child from Rheinland, Germany.

I almost never have foreign visitors, and if I do, it's not for 10 nights. There's no doubt in my mind that it's not going to happen. Not sure what's up, but I know there will be a chargeback eventually coming of the $188 deposit.

I just hate that, in the meantime, those 10 nights are blocked off and nobody "real" can book them. Makes me mad, but I can't contact them and ask if they are crooks testing someone else's credit card.

Fortunately I just get those as inquiries. Delete. The hard thing is that in Europe a 10-day is a possibility, BUT especially now with the travel restriction, it ranks with the Greek priests and my inquiries.

We got a two-weeker today. Most of our reservations in the future are for 4-5 nights. Here’s hoping they’re real.

Sigh. Just got a mid-July, 10-night ResKey reservation for 1 adult and 1 child from Rheinland, Germany.

I almost never have foreign visitors, and if I do, it's not for 10 nights. There's no doubt in my mind that it's not going to happen. Not sure what's up, but I know there will be a chargeback eventually coming of the $188 deposit.

I just hate that, in the meantime, those 10 nights are blocked off and nobody "real" can book them. Makes me mad, but I can't contact them and ask if they are crooks testing someone else's credit card.
why dont you contact them and ask if anything you can do to help them plan their trip? that can be an early indicator if it is real or not...

In other news... we had a call today from another b&b because they got a reservation with no credit card and the ‘guest’ had used our email address! The guest does not exist, but someone actually does live at the address and they were quite upset that someone had used their address and phone number to make a fake reservation. But, why? And how did the reservation go thru without a credit card?

I can't contact them and ask if they are crooks testing someone else's credit card.
doesn't reskey require a phone number?
... I'm thinking of switching from resnex to reskey. Business is down and I'd like to pay less. Maybe a different thread, but seems reskey popular here.

... I'm thinking of switching from resnex to reskey. Business is down and I'd like to pay less. Maybe a different thread, but seems reskey popular here.
You can require anything you want in Rezkey. It’s possible, tho, that reservations from a third party might not contain the required info but still get thru. I’m pretty happy with rezkey. You can make it do a lot for not a bad price.

I have their phone number (if what they listed is real). What I mean by "can't contact them" is that I wouldn't feel comfortable contacting them and asking questions to see if they're legitimate. The reservation is far enough off, I think the deposit will be protested before them, if it's a stolen card.

My building was built by German immigrants, so maybe they ran across my history page on the building or something. I've emailed their arrival instructions and door key code. We'll see...

When is this for? Did you check that the card number traces back to Germany?

It's for mid-July. The card processor (Stripe) only gives me the last 4 digits, so I can't tell much about point of origin. But the email address ends with .de, so there's that.

I have been with Rezkey for years now - love it! It does SOOOO much - many things I do not use but I am glad to know they are there if I ever DO need.

Got this from them today. At least I got plenty of notice, and didn't lose any money!

I am sorry, to have to let you know, that we have to cancel our planned trip to [our town] from July 17 until July 27. So we also have to cancel our stay at your obviously beautyful place. I am sure, that we will visit some other time and that we will spend some nights at the [our property].
I would like to ask you, to give me a short information that you have received our cancellation.
Thank you very much!
With best regards from Germany,
[Guest's name]

Back