10 Reasons People Hate Your Website

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#6 is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I especially hate trying to read a blog article that has been blatantly SE optimized. Home pages too, it's just ridiculous to read these "catch phrases" over and over again.

We can add our own turn offs, here are some that jump out right off the bat for me:
  1. Specials from Valentine's day and it is now APRIL.
  2. Christmas photos - year round
  3. Music mandatory (not if you choose to listen)
  4. Dancing icons like angels, elves, etc
  5. Clean clear photos of B&B stuff
  6. Big giant photos that take forever to load
  7. Poor images, closed shots that show no room detail (which makes us feel like it is on purpose to hide something)
  8. Prices ON the rooms pages with the rooms info
  9. Stinkin' badges - inn's that think having badges all over the home page are attractive, ick
  10. Lack of a clear map to show WHERE you are located and in perspective to major cities (so not a close up of your street or town only)
  11. Lack of Innkeeper information - at least have a welcome page with a small photo of smiling host(s) NOT just a photo of a couple of mutts. This is a turn off, the dogs ARE not the innkeepers, people!
  12. Too much on each page - please do yourself a favor and break it into multiple pages, add a site map, don't STUFF every page. Keep the page length managable and viewable, if we have to page down more than once it is too much
  13. Phone, contact, address on every page
  14. Where/how to book on every page

We can add our own turn offs, here are some that jump out right off the bat for me:
  7. Poor images, closed shots that show no room detail (which makes us feel like it is on purpose to hide something)
  9. Stinkin' badges - inn's that think having badges all over the home page are attractive, ick
  10. Lack of a clear map to show WHERE you are located and in perspective to major cities (so not a close up of your street or town only)
  11. Lack of Innkeeper information - at least have a welcome page with a small photo of smiling host(s) NOT just a photo of a couple of mutts. This is a turn off, the dogs ARE not the innkeepers, people!
  12. Too much on each page - please do yourself a favor and break it into multiple pages, add a site map, don't STUFF every page. Keep the page length managable and viewable, if we have to page down more than once it is too much
HA HA...you really nailed it. You should post that on the other fellow's blog and see what he thinks :)

I think I am good on all but #8. What does that mean? I always want the room rate on the page with the room info because if I like the room I don't want to hunt for the price.

Essentially, I think you expanded #10- lack of info.
We all have to ask ourselves, 'If I were going on vacation at this place, what would I need to know?' And, 'The phone number so I can call and ask all my questions,' is NOT the only answer!
Thanks. I know I am missing a couple of key pieces of info. They're on my to do list now.

I think I am good on all but #8. What does that mean? I always want the room rate on the page with the room info because if I like the room I don't want to hunt for the price.
sandynn said:
I'm going out on a limb here (hate explaining what someone else meant) but I think JB meant LACK of price info on rooms pages.

Sorry needed to edit that post but can't edit later...needed to say "LACK OF" on a few of them...
What's really bad is now I can shoot off a list in no time flat, and this is 2011!
Remember when we first joined the old about.com forum, I mean giving people credit it may have been just too new for many of them in the early 2000's - but even then this advice was still given, the compression software etc was not everywhere like it is today, heck you can compress ANY IMAGE ONLINE FOR FREE, no need to own any software. There is no excuse for skewiffed photos, huge photos, bad fuzzy photos.
No publisher gif/clip art. I need to scream CLIP ART IS DEAD! The way most inns use it, dead!!!
Here ya go, my gift for y'all today:
http://www.imageoptimizer.net/Pages/Home.aspx

That's exactly what she meant ;-) put the rate with the room...don't send them off to another page trying to find all the room rates. You are good:)

I will add: Having to search the entire site to find policies that are either, a) hidden where you have to click on something to find them, or b) you have to go to the booking engine to read them.

Anyone who uses the phrase arrive as a guest leave as a friend! its over used

Anyone who uses the phrase arrive as a guest leave as a friend! its over used.
Anyone who uses the phrase arrive as a guest leave as a friend! its over used
I'm starting to hate one of my own catch phrases, " A piece of Heaven in the woods" it is repeated ad nauseam in reviews we get. Apparently, the guests think it's original when they appropriate it not realizing it came subliminally and was never theirs to begin with.
I guess I should be pleased that they are getting brainwashed by my ad campaign.

What drives me round the bend is when you have to fight the sight for information. ie where is the place?, what is the price? how do i book? If i have a special requirement how do I ask about it? Had this with the 4 seasons hotel in Budapest this week no way to email a question spent 0 mins looking not even a contact form was not impressed.

Back