10 Things Your Bed and Breakfast Won't Tell You

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Readers be forewarned: this article is from 2004. Although some of the information is still valid, other bits - like whether the industry is up or down since last year - are very out-of-date.

Readers be forewarned: this article is from 2004. Although some of the information is still valid, other bits - like whether the industry is up or down since last year - are very out-of-date..
Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't notice the date when I posted it. Hopefully it has been buried by now but it will give you an idea of what some guests may be thinking.

I didn't notice the date right off, so I had started to think of a comment to post (which I didn't, no need dragging this out of the ashes...) Feel free to add yours to the list of "10 things your correspondent won't tell you":
  1. I've never stayed at a B&B in my life.
  2. I don't really know what I'm talking about, I'm only writing the article for money.

I didn't notice the date right off, so I had started to think of a comment to post (which I didn't, no need dragging this out of the ashes...) Feel free to add yours to the list of "10 things your correspondent won't tell you":
  2. I don't really know what I'm talking about, I'm only writing the article for money.
Bree said:
3. I stayed at a B&B once, but hated it...they made me wear a hat and play a game. I really don't understand why B&Bs have become so popular, so I guess I'll write an article. Because I hated my experience, I should tell everyone that innkeepers will bend over backwards to help you, so you can ask them to cut their rates and they'll be really happy you want to stay with them for next to nothing.

this article bothers me in so many ways. and it's in their 'rip off' section? lovely.
i found the bit about ''selling out your bliss for business travelers'' especially interesting. weren't b&bs recently just coached in a prominent industry newsletter to entice the business traveler?
unlike what the author seems to be saying ...
you can't please everyone.
you can't adjust your rates to satisfy everyone.
you can't accommodate everyone.
and this article recommends trip advisor.
'nuff said.

This old news looks like it was written by the guest from
devil_smile.gif

Bree said:
3. I stayed at a B&B once, but hated it...they made me wear a hat and play a game. I really don't understand why B&Bs have become so popular, so I guess I'll write an article. Because I hated my experience, I should tell everyone that innkeepers will bend over backwards to help you, so you can ask them to cut their rates and they'll be really happy you want to stay with them for next to nothing.
NW BB said:
Bree said:
4. Just because I say you can, doesn't mean that when you try to cancel you'll actually get your deposit back.
5. We writers don't operate with a lot of oversight.
6. I prefer hotels where I can pay by the hour.
7. Most of my research consists of reading other people's emails.
8. I screw sleep on the comforters in chain hotels.

3. My 18 year old niece told me that B&Bs are not nice because they wouldn't rent a room to her & her prom friends so I thought I'd trash them.
4. My Aunt Hildie once stayed in a B&B homestay in the 80's so I thought that information would still be accurate for this article.

Back