12 Annoying Things About Your Website That Drive People Away

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]12 Annoying Things About Your Website That Drive People Away [/COLOR]http://bit.ly/Jx36zA
JB - We have seen this in many formats, this one has a few diff thoughts. Worth a read. My disclaimer - as I say of late - if you don't care about your website, or think it is great because guests tell you it is great, then don't bother to read this. If you have crappy fuzzy mishapen compressed images of your rooms and other parts of the B&B on the website, and think that is okay, then don't read this.
I bet you will read it anyway...I bet you will! I HOPE YOU WILL!

I really do have to get rid of the Flash stuff..
Madeleine said:
I really do have to get rid of the Flash stuff.
I'm confessing to be dumb twice in one afternoon. So if we're not using flash per se, what is the preferred method for those spectacular slide shows on the websites? Is one platform now the preferred one?

I really do have to get rid of the Flash stuff..
Madeleine said:
I really do have to get rid of the Flash stuff.
I'm confessing to be dumb twice in one afternoon. So if we're not using flash per se, what is the preferred method for those spectacular slide shows on the websites? Is one platform now the preferred one?
There are lots of jquery scripts and programs you can use in place of flash. They don't do the exact same things FLASH does, but at least they can be seen on Apple products.

Thanks so much for posting. It reminded me to do a better contact form, which I got on last night.
I've been waring with this reservation / payment stuff worked out to get my website fully functional as I'd like it to be, and I need a better contact form in the meantime.

Thanks so much for posting. It reminded me to do a better contact form, which I got on last night.
I've been waring with this reservation / payment stuff worked out to get my website fully functional as I'd like it to be, and I need a better contact form in the meantime..
CafeMae said:
I've been waring with this reservation / payment stuff worked out to get my website fully functional as I'd like it to be, and I need a better contact form in the meantime.
Please, please avoid contact forms. If the guest has to email or call that is so much better than making them fill out a form with 6 million pieces of info only to have you reply back that you're full, try again.
I will not fill out a form that is not a guaranteed reservation. Refuse. Will not. Will move onto the next site if a form is the only way to contact the B&B.

I've been waring with this reservation / payment stuff worked out to get my website fully functional as I'd like it to be, and I need a better contact form in the meantime..
CafeMae said:
Please, please avoid contact forms. If the guest has to email or call that is so much better than making them fill out a form with 6 million pieces of info only to have you reply back that you're full, try again.
I will not fill out a form that is not a guaranteed reservation. Refuse. Will not. Will move onto the next site if a form is the only way to contact the B&B.
Madeleine said:
CafeMae said:
Comment noted. I'll post the email address as well.
I've been having this issue with accepting CC payments, because the inn I will be opening is in a developing country where there are a few more hoops to opening up a merchant account that I can not leap through right now. Most small hotels use paypal, but I want an integrated reservation process for the client - reserve, pay and go. I can't use many of the integrated booking to payment solutions from the US, since they can't be used outside the US (terms & conditions). This has been an ongoing dilemna.
I had to forego my beautiful "repsonsive" WP theme temporarily to move to one that had an integrated booking module that connects to a payment alternative because none of the reservation providers (eg RezKey) were willling to provide the connection to a payment alternative that would work for me. My new theme was written in Vietnam, and the terms used for the booking module are not correct English. (no, please don't laugh - or at least don't tell me you did). It needs to be resolved - I'm opening late July, so needs to get done in the next couple weeks, but in the meantime, I have this website up I need to have someway for folks who see the site to contact me. Arg...

For us in this forum, I disagree about the need for a search feature. If your visitors are having to search for information, then your website is just poorly designed.
For B&Bs, you should be able to navigate to whatever you're looking for in one, two and at the most 3 clicks.

Back