$129.84

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JBJ stated: "If the rates go up, does it matter? He bought the room at the current rate."
Sorry I disagree with this statement...They purchased a GC for X price which WAS the current 'off peak' price of the "Red Room". The room is not sold until the reservation is set. That could be next week or 2 years from now during peak rate season. By then the rates could have increased 2 times plus it being peak vis off peak rates.
Another reason I disagree is if the property is sold prior to the GC use. If the GC is for 'the Red Room", then the current value of that room (ave. price) would be subtracted from the property sale. If I had a good number of outstanding GC's when I sold, I sure would not want to fork over any more money than what I had received for them in the first place.
JBJ - on another note: You mentioned service problems. I could not agree more!!! This is another area which B&B's surpass our many competitors in the hotel industry! SERVICE - A #1 (can't remember what company used that as a slogan?).
The room is not sold until the reservation is set. That could be next week or 2 years from now during peak rate season. By then the rates could have increased 2 times plus it being peak vis off peak rates.
Very true. Case in point. I sold a GC as a wedding gift from the bride's co-workers when we were 3 w/shared and the rate was $75 + tax. When it was finally used the room had a private bath and the rate was $125 + tax. (I was happy to get it off the books, had met the couple at another function and URGED them to come use it (it had been lost in a fire but I knew it was there)) and they did come off-season.

well, this thread has certainly taken some turns.
i mostly always get good service and good food. i have not eaten in denny's in maybe 25 years so can't comment on that. except to say that it seems i've read you've had problems at denny's before? or someone else on this board? ... if so, i wouldn't go back ... ever. olive garden - ohmy! great food, great service. walmart .. service was fine in florida, mass. and maine. i have family who refuse to shop in walmart on principle but their prices are incredible. i did a lot of shopping at target this year and found good deals there as well.
gift cards! i like them a lot. i have a friend who has stacks of them. i went all through them and told him ... you have $$$ at sears, $$ at home depot, target and olive garden. $ at walmart. get shopping! there is an ad on tv for the walmart gift card that is very cute ... a little boy shopping with his gift card in hand.
you just have to be careful of those cards that start to get hit with service fees after so many months til your card is down to nothing. that is bad!

JBJ stated: "If the rates go up, does it matter? He bought the room at the current rate."
Sorry I disagree with this statement...They purchased a GC for X price which WAS the current 'off peak' price of the "Red Room". The room is not sold until the reservation is set. That could be next week or 2 years from now during peak rate season. By then the rates could have increased 2 times plus it being peak vis off peak rates.
Another reason I disagree is if the property is sold prior to the GC use. If the GC is for 'the Red Room", then the current value of that room (ave. price) would be subtracted from the property sale. If I had a good number of outstanding GC's when I sold, I sure would not want to fork over any more money than what I had received for them in the first place.
JBJ - on another note: You mentioned service problems. I could not agree more!!! This is another area which B&B's surpass our many competitors in the hotel industry! SERVICE - A #1 (can't remember what company used that as a slogan?).
Copperhead said:
JBJ - on another note: You mentioned service problems. I could not agree more!!! This is another area which B&B's surpass our many competitors in the hotel industry! SERVICE - A #1 (can't remember what company used that as a slogan?)
I hear you and understand, as we have had this discussion many times about how to post gc sales, as some do not claim them until they are redeemed, on taxes, where if I sell room for $120+ tax I pay the tax on the month I sold the room, it is just the bed is slept in later. We have many different views on this on this forum, and I go back and forth on where I want to stand as they all seem feasible to me. When I see it all layed it it all makes sense!
For my own record keeping, I prefer to pay to caeser his cut when I get my cut. But some don't get their cut - like you mentioned, until redeemed. I am one who will put an expiration date on it. If they call me on it, then I will deal with it then. But until then, like most everyone else (not talking corporate gc's but small businesses - there is an expiration date. Oh except BandB.com gift certificates... ha ha

Question - I know you don't put an expiration date on yours, so it is more difficult - but if he wanted The Red Room and it is $129.84 total w/tax why not just make it out for the RED ROOM?
"One in the hand is better than two in the field."
If the rates go up, does it matter? He bought the room at the current rate.
I have only sold two GC for a dollar amount. I know we have had this discussion many times, I typically put "Your choice of x, y, or z" or the two higher priced rooms if that is what the guest purchaser requests. I also will do this - if they choose a lower priced room then they will have a bouquet of flowers in their room from you.
I also discount GC's like I discount room rates. Going back to the "one in the hand..." theory. Gee did you know I didn't even sell ONE GC for Christmas this year, not one! I think, understandably, people are worried too many businesses are going under..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I also discount GC's like I discount room rates. Going back to the "one in the hand..." theory. Gee did you know I didn't even sell ONE GC for Christmas this year, not one! I think, understandably, people are worried too many businesses are going under.
There was just an article in the paper here that GC sales were down across the board. The explanation given was that people wanted a gift in hand vs giving a set dollar amount. Well, THAT sounds like my guy here! But, I like your explanation better...people afraid that the store will go out of business before the GC is redeemed.
This is the second GC for the holidays this year. The others were sold earlier in the year (a couple of 'thank yous' and a couple of wedding gifts.)
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I also discount GC's like I discount room rates. Going back to the "one in the hand..." theory. Gee did you know I didn't even sell ONE GC for Christmas this year, not one! I think, understandably, people are worried too many businesses are going under.
There was just an article in the paper here that GC sales were down across the board. The explanation given was that people wanted a gift in hand vs giving a set dollar amount. Well, THAT sounds like my guy here! But, I like your explanation better...people afraid that the store will go out of business before the GC is redeemed.
This is the second GC for the holidays this year. The others were sold earlier in the year (a couple of 'thank yous' and a couple of wedding gifts.)
For once in my life I figured out the perfect gift for my sister and family in Ireland and my parents, GC to restaurants they like. Ruby Tuesday, Olive Garden, where they can use it anywhere in the USA.
With so many businesses going under I was not willing to buy them. Instead the usual $25 in postage to mail gifts. Bugs me. I won't buy the GC's any more.
Gosh I hate to be that pessimistic to think that Olive Garden, etc..would go under in a year:-(
I just gave my mom several Wal Mart Gift Cards....I know they aren't going under:) IF they do..then watch out world we are all going under!!!
catlady said:
Gosh I hate to be that pessimistic to think that Olive Garden, etc..would go under in a year:-(
I just gave my mom several Wal Mart Gift Cards....I know they aren't going under:) IF they do..then watch out world we are all going under!!!
Wal Mart seems to be the only GC's to give - but I have done that so many times. Mervyn's shut down in CA! I loved that store. I would not guarantee any place be open in a year. I am not being pessimistic, in fact I hope the overabundance of worthless places do go out of business and we actually get some good service for a change. Maybe people will actually have to work hard. Maybe a clerk would do more than RING UP YOUR SALE and pick up their pay check.
Did I mention the BLT both kids ordered at Denny's that had NO B and NO T? It was lettuce on bread barely toasted. Apparently they ran out of the B and the T and it was our problem. Even the manager had no solution. WHAT THE?
I ordered the super bird so I was also minus the B and the T but had turkey and swiss on bread, so they ended up with that. Were we refunded? Nope, we were treated like BAD customers, it was our fault we had no B or T on a BLT that cost total $15+tax for two plates. DENNY'S!
Remember when you had to have experience to work some place? With all the gazillion restaurants in SD when I was 16 I could not get a job at any of them until I started out at Sizzler's and got experience.
Now you cannot go out to eat and get what you ordered, let alone THE BLASTED PLATES PICKED UP when you are done eating or the check when you need to go.
It is not here, I travel, I can name fifty cities where this is the case, and has been the case. Crappy service 100%, take your order, bring out something, many times one plate at a time, food never proper temp and then leave.
I'm hoping you have called/will call the home office for Dennys and get your money back and an apology.

Question - I know you don't put an expiration date on yours, so it is more difficult - but if he wanted The Red Room and it is $129.84 total w/tax why not just make it out for the RED ROOM?
"One in the hand is better than two in the field."
If the rates go up, does it matter? He bought the room at the current rate.
I have only sold two GC for a dollar amount. I know we have had this discussion many times, I typically put "Your choice of x, y, or z" or the two higher priced rooms if that is what the guest purchaser requests. I also will do this - if they choose a lower priced room then they will have a bouquet of flowers in their room from you.
I also discount GC's like I discount room rates. Going back to the "one in the hand..." theory. Gee did you know I didn't even sell ONE GC for Christmas this year, not one! I think, understandably, people are worried too many businesses are going under..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
For once in my life I figured out the perfect gift for my sister and family in Ireland and my parents, GC to restaurants they like. Ruby Tuesday, Olive Garden, where they can use it anywhere in the USA.
With so many businesses going under I was not willing to buy them. Instead the usual $25 in postage to mail gifts. Bugs me. I won't buy the GC's any more.
catlady said:
Wal Mart seems to be the only GC's to give - but I have done that so many times. Mervyn's shut down in CA! I loved that store. I would not guarantee any place be open in a year. I am not being pessimistic, in fact I hope the overabundance of worthless places do go out of business and we actually get some good service for a change. Maybe people will actually have to work hard. Maybe a clerk would do more than RING UP YOUR SALE and pick up their pay check.
Did I mention the BLT both kids ordered at Denny's that had NO B and NO T? It was lettuce on bread barely toasted. Apparently they ran out of the B and the T and it was our problem. Even the manager had no solution. WHAT THE?
I ordered the super bird so I was also minus the B and the T but had turkey and swiss on bread, so they ended up with that. Were we refunded? Nope, we were treated like BAD customers, it was our fault we had no B or T on a BLT that cost total $15+tax for two plates. DENNY'S!
Remember when you had to have experience to work some place? With all the gazillion restaurants in SD when I was 16 I could not get a job at any of them until I started out at Sizzler's and got experience.
Now you cannot go out to eat and get what you ordered, let alone THE BLASTED PLATES PICKED UP when you are done eating or the check when you need to go.
It is not here, I travel, I can name fifty cities where this is the case, and has been the case. Crappy service 100%, take your order, bring out something, many times one plate at a time, food never proper temp and then leave.
You bet you should call them. How long do you think it would take for a guest to make that complaint - and they would log into wherever they had to to leave THAT review! We have not eaten at Denny's for years because the quality of the food has gone down so much - and the service was not that great either. And you can tell them that from me too!

Glad you worked it out.
This is my take, "Congratulations Mr & Mrs Jones. One night stay at Red Cedar Lodge in the Red Room"
versus "Gift Cert for $128.74 at Red Cedar Lodge"
This is the reason I do not do dollar amounts. For the innkeeper it is easier and preferred, for the recipient it is tacky. I won't do it that way, it is just the way it is here. The gift is not the dollar amt, if it were then they could just give them the money in an envelope. It is the One Night Stay and rcvd with a lovely rack card..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Glad you worked it out.
This is my take, "Congratulations Mr & Mrs Jones. One night stay at Red Cedar Lodge in the Red Room"
versus "Gift Cert for $128.74 at Red Cedar Lodge"
This is the reason I do not do dollar amounts. For the innkeeper it is easier and preferred, for the recipient it is tacky. I won't do it that way, it is just the way it is here. The gift is not the dollar amt, if it were then they could just give them the money in an envelope. It is the One Night Stay and rcvd with a lovely rack card.
It's good as far as it goes. I, for one tho, am not willing to front those guests, or their relatives, $40+ because they don't want to stay when their GC was purchased for. And there is no way you can tell them on the phone that they have to pony up the extra money because they don't know what was spent and all of a sudden, their nice stay is ruined because they think you're trying to cheat them. Because most GC's are one-offs and those folks never show up again, I'm not even building up new clientele by taking a hit on the price of the room.
Yes, it's tacky to have the price on the GC, but with the prevalence of GC's from every quarter now, people are used to seeing $$$ on their GC.
And then there are the people who think they are 'stuck' with the 'Red Room' because that's what the GC says. They look online, they don't like, they stuff the GC in a drawer and never look back. I like the $$$ amount because it's relatively open-ended. Spend this much on whatever room fits, or on whatever room you want and pay the diff.
For a donated gift certificate because it also had theatre tickets for a specific date with it, I did a specific room so it can be blocked out. It's a room that is mid-priced in our range of rooms. For this instance, I did put the value on the gift certificate.
I only offer gift certifiicates in dollar amounts, $25 increments.
Don't take anyone else's gift cards here...boy, they are pushing the bandb giftcards. I keep getting emails as a traveler about them, plus innkeeper emails to sign up for them.

We have not been open long enough to be sure this will work, but on my tour and B&B gift certificates, I list that we have no expiration date, and that the value of the gift certificate is "protected for one year" and date them.
This way if they show up 5 years down the road, I will charge them the difference in the rate. If they don't understand that, that's too bad. I think it's pretty clear.
Riki

We have not been open long enough to be sure this will work, but on my tour and B&B gift certificates, I list that we have no expiration date, and that the value of the gift certificate is "protected for one year" and date them.
This way if they show up 5 years down the road, I will charge them the difference in the rate. If they don't understand that, that's too bad. I think it's pretty clear.
Riki.
That's a nice feature...one year price protection.

Riki.
That's a nice feature...one year price protection.
It was the only way I could come up with protection for me and for the buyer of my B&B whenever we do sell and make it sound like an amenity for the purchaser!
Riki

But Bree, your one year protection plan wouldn't work with off season or in season rates right?.
No, I just like the idea of it. If I were selling a tour package as Riki is, it's perfect.
I guess you would have to list the seaon on the GC that it's good for, like a coupon. "Good from May 15 through Sept 15, price protected for one year". But that's already getting complicated...
Riki

But Bree, your one year protection plan wouldn't work with off season or in season rates right?.
No, I just like the idea of it. If I were selling a tour package as Riki is, it's perfect.
I guess you would have to list the seaon on the GC that it's good for, like a coupon. "Good from May 15 through Sept 15, price protected for one year". But that's already getting complicated...
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
As it is, I barely have room for all the details! Who it's from, who it's for (plus gift message), how much it is for and the 'fine print'. I'm going to have to put the fine print on the back pretty soon!

Back