14 tricks hotels do to cut costs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to read this, but first I'm going to ask...what's with The Shining lately? I mentioned it last week, it was on TV this weekend (30th anniversary or some such) and here's a scene from it in this article!

Okay I read it. Some of it is legitimate like the reduction of staff being annoying but some of the things hotels have done make perfect sense. Not changing sheets and towels is a good thing. Charging for items like clocks, etc. probably occured because of too many light-fingered guests. Who can blame the hotel for that. I have not noticed major chains cutting back on linen and ammenty quality at all. We stay at Sheratons a lot and even Holiday Inns are upgrading their bedding, etc. as the Sheraton chain does. Mini bar - well they've always been a rip-off. I think most of the article is sour grapes.

i don't know anything about the writer of that article ... but he/she/they? paints the hotel industry with a very wide brush ... not unlike someone who blasts all b&b's. this kind of article annoys me.
'tricks' to save money? i could see at a glance what was included with my stay and what was not.
i stayed in a nice hotel two months ago for 3 nights ... and i had excellent personal service, free in room coffee, free paper at my door, wet towels were changed out for fresh ones each morning, my towels and sheets were not like cardboard, there was free wifi and the (free to use) pool and exercise equipment were in order and being used (and there was no resort fee on my bill). the nice complimentary breakfast i had there in the past was now for a fee (although i'm told they sometimes have specials when it's included) ... but it was a generous, hot buffet and i'm not complaining. i never get the in room movie so i can't say what was available and how much. i also never bother with in room wet bars. surely that kind of high profit in-room stuff has been going on for years? dear author, do your homework before you gobble up the peanuts in your room and watch pay per view movies!
ever since i saw that video years back of the cleaning rag wipe out of the bathroom glass ... (shudder) i can't bring myself to use bathroom glasses, but the room looked very clean. it was court yard by mar riot in hyan nis mass.
i still prefer b&b's ... but many are not open on cape cod in the off season. i wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel i stayed at.

Back