16 Pixels: For Body Copy. Anything Less Is A Costly Mistake

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I'm anywhere near 16 px for my font size. More like 3! But, wow! it certainly stands out reading it on that page. I may have to rework at least some of the website! (Like the policies!)
Unfortunately, that means a lot more scrolling!

I use 14 point in e-mails. I HATE to receive e-mails with a tiny, tiny point. Websites are the same. Books are the same. If I pick up a book and see it uses tiny print, I'm less likely to read it. Yes, that's because I want to finish quickly and a 1" thick book with bigger print means a faster read than a 1" book with tiny print. It's human nature.
People these days just won't take time to read a lot of text. Better to use a little text, and make it bigger. People are a lot more likely to read it.
Use more photos!

It makes for easier reading but more scrolling. I don't think I agree with 16 px. I usually go with 14 for body text. What makes this person someone we should listen to????

I don't use 16 px for body copy. Anyone needs it bigger they can hold down on control + to make it bigger. Really.
What's next? USE ALL CAPS IT'S EASIER TO READ?
My mom used to believe in that.

This really depends on the pixels-per-inch resolution of the reader's screen. It used to be that a standard screen resolution was 72 pixels-per-inch, in which case a 12-pixel text size was the essentially the same size as a 12-point type font. But now screen resolution is all over the map, so there is no good direct correlation of pixels to the actuall size of type -- But that said, if your screen has a 96 pixel per inch resolution (say), then you DO need 16-pixel text size to be equivalent to a 12-point type font....

Back