1st Time in 8 Years I've locked the linen closet

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Innkeeper

Reaction score
Guests check in around 7:30 last night. Say they were here a couple of years ago, but I do not remember them. Anyway, they go out for a bite to eat. I go to bed around 10. At 11:15 I'm awakened by my cell phone ringing. "Can we please have some other sheets? These are dirty" WHAT!? I just put those sheets on earlier - they came right out of the dryer and they were fine. Of course, I don't say this to the guests, but dutifully go downstairs to the dryer and get out a set of white queen sheets. I promptly take them upstairs, apologize to the guest and offer to make the bed. "Oh, no thanks, we can manage." Alright, fine.
This morning after re-arranging my dining room table to suit her, the woman says "Oh so sorry about the trouble last night." And that's all that was said about it. They brought me the green queen sheets which they had taken off the bed. I throw them downstairs and inspect them later and can't find a thing wrong with them. Whatever.
So, after they go out, I go up to the room to fluff (yes, I have to endure these people for two more days), and find two extra bath towels in the bathroom. I keep 4 in there at all times, but now there are 6, 2 of which aren't even used. Again, whatever. Then I go to the linen closet to get some clean wash cloths and what do I find rolled up on a ball on the shelf but the white queen sheets that I gave the woman last night! So, I go and inspect their bed and, lo and behold, they've put beige KING sheets on the bed, which they got out of the linen closet. What the...???!!!
I don't like confrontation and I don't know if I even WANT to know what their problem is, but they've gone thru 3 sets of sheets in one night and 6 towels (and 5 coffee cups!) If these people have this many issues, they need to stay home. I don't know if I have enough in the linen closet to keep them happy for 2 more days.

if they keep asking unreasonably, "sure, extra linens beyond XYZ cost $20 per set" - and then put them on your DNB list...
Not sure how they got into your linens (Towels, bedding, etc.) - that is the kind of thing I would not allow guest access, given the cost and labor... What would it be like for someone to walk off with a large number of quilts, bedding sets, towels, and pillows?
At this time of life, I put no faith in strangers (15+ years as landlord, as well as 3 as employer). Sure 95% of them are nice. But they are not the ones you are trying to keep away from your valuables...

I think I would just ask them..what the issue is? Because they should not be helping themselves to your things. If you can lock it...I WOULD!

Lock the linen cabinet if you can ... can you? I'm thinking they thought other sheets were 'softer' or whatever.
But rearranging the dining table, too? Sounds like someone with ocd. If that's what is going on, be prepared for more but it is not you, it is not the sheets ... I had a guest like this who rearranged all the furniture in the room, who went out and bought 'softer' light bulbs and 'brighter' light bulbs and put what I had in the fixtures into the trash. Not the place for lightbulbs! Who requested different sheets as those on her bed were 'scratchy' I gave her other options and she ended up choosing some old sheets that were practically threadbare. She also brought her own special pillow with its own case that was really gross looking to me. That girl has lots of issues.

Lock the linen cabinet if you can ... can you? I'm thinking they thought other sheets were 'softer' or whatever.
But rearranging the dining table, too? Sounds like someone with ocd. If that's what is going on, be prepared for more but it is not you, it is not the sheets ... I had a guest like this who rearranged all the furniture in the room, who went out and bought 'softer' light bulbs and 'brighter' light bulbs and put what I had in the fixtures into the trash. Not the place for lightbulbs! Who requested different sheets as those on her bed were 'scratchy' I gave her other options and she ended up choosing some old sheets that were practically threadbare. She also brought her own special pillow with its own case that was really gross looking to me. That girl has lots of issues..
Remember the PITA who cut off all the tags on EVERYTHING in the room!!!! Now that is OCD!

I would ask. At the point of where they are going through your linen closet and creating work for you, there is a need to ask.
At the point of where they are fussing with the table, I would have interjected and told them that the table is set and please don't play with other people's settings, it's unsanitary.

The thing that bugs me the most? Being the conscientious person that I am, now I'm second-guessing everything I do all day. This, too, shall pass I'm sure, but in the meantime, I'm driving myself crazy.
Oh, and in less than 15 hours, they used 5 coffee cups!

Time to have a conversation with them. You really need to know what's going on and let them know that it's not ok to go into your storage/closet. Give them plenty of extra towels and supplies. If you approach them as trying to be helpful maybe they'll be honest with you.

The thing that bugs me the most? Being the conscientious person that I am, now I'm second-guessing everything I do all day. This, too, shall pass I'm sure, but in the meantime, I'm driving myself crazy.
Oh, and in less than 15 hours, they used 5 coffee cups!.
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Oh, and in less than 15 hours, they used 5 coffee cups!
I feel your pain. Altho we have never, knock wood, had an issue with guests changing sheets I did have a guest go into the laundry room and remove a mattress pad. We found it in the room, in the bag. No idea what that was about, but if they were cold there were a ton of blankets right next to the pad.
And, yes, guests who use a new mug for every cup of coffee drive me nuts. Hey! There are other guests! Look around! What are they supposed to use? We have 21 mugs out at all times. We've had to run a load before breakfast many times. IF they are left for us. If they're gone to the rooms we have to ask for them!

I am so sorry you are going through this (but I thank you for keeping them up there instead of them being here) as this is utterly ridiculous. Rearranging the dining room table? I do not know if I could have kept my cool at that point. What NERVE!

Oh, but I just had new guests that I checked in - they told me how delightful I am and how well-suited I am to being an innkeeper. Made my day!

Sorry no guests are allowed in my linen - its all stored and stacked in order of type Im not having guests dig through or muckying things up which I have paid for. And for those of you who do your own its even worce!

Most of the time I just let peoples weird habits pass without question, but if someone told me the sheets were dirty that's the sort of thing they could go away and put on a review so I would want to tackle the issue head on.

Lock it if you can and be done with it.
I have one set of returning guests who go into the linen closet in the cottage, rearrange the contents and store some of their personal things in there. There is no need for this since there is another full closet just across the room. They are the only guests who mess with the closet, but they are otherwise neat and clean and very accommodating. Just the same, if I had a lock on the closet I would use it. I just don't like the idea of anyone messing with supplies.

I have one set of returning guests who go into the linen closet in the cottage, rearrange the contents and store some of their personal things in there. There is no need for this since there is another full closet just across the room. They are the only guests who mess with the closet, but they are otherwise neat and clean and very accommodating. Just the same, if I had a lock on the closet I would use it. I just don't like the idea of anyone messing with supplies..
we once had guests on the third floor who decided to store their bag in the eves. So they opened the access panel to the eves and oops, a bunch of wasps came out.
it's an old house. don't mess with the balance. and who told you you could open an access panel into my attic space? I store stuff there!
anyway, nature punished them. I didn't have to.

I have one set of returning guests who go into the linen closet in the cottage, rearrange the contents and store some of their personal things in there. There is no need for this since there is another full closet just across the room. They are the only guests who mess with the closet, but they are otherwise neat and clean and very accommodating. Just the same, if I had a lock on the closet I would use it. I just don't like the idea of anyone messing with supplies..
We have one room that I think used to house the linen closet. It was all shelves when we moved in. No place to hang anything. And it had a lock. No key for it, but there was a lock. We took the shelves out and added hooks to hang clothes. It wasn't deep enough to put a regular hanging bar, so it's odd, but it works.
NOT that guests use the closets or hangers provided. we have one room with a deep closet, lots of hangers. I rarely see anything in it. Clothes draped on the furniture, suitcases all over the floor when they could be laid open in the closet and out of the guest's way!
Nowt as strange as folk.

we once had guests on the third floor who decided to store their bag in the eves. So they opened the access panel to the eves and oops, a bunch of wasps came out.
it's an old house. don't mess with the balance. and who told you you could open an access panel into my attic space? I store stuff there!
I believe in locking every possible place I don't want people to go into. Theft, liability, damage, etc.
They rented the room, they have access to the common areas. Laundry, closets, kitchen, attic, basement, sheds, owner's quarters, unrented rooms, etc - all will be locked.

I believe in locking every possible place I don't want people to go into. Theft, liability, damage, etc.
They rented the room, they have access to the common areas. Laundry, closets, kitchen, attic, basement, sheds, owner's quarters, unrented rooms, etc - all will be locked.
The one I especially dislike is when guests use the emergency exit outside stairs. The sign says Emergency Exit Only.
It is a staircase, a walk across roof tiles and then another staircase. I don't like people walking on the roof. It isn't meant for that.

The one I especially dislike is when guests use the emergency exit outside stairs. The sign says Emergency Exit Only.
It is a staircase, a walk across roof tiles and then another staircase. I don't like people walking on the roof. It isn't meant for that.
yea, but unfortunately, cannot lock emergency exits...
embaressed_smile.gif

Back